post #3871 of 7721 Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric859 View Post

This is what they had me do to unbrick my Echo:
Thank you for your continued patience, we're going to attempt a restore using our recovery tool. The process requires a USB connection directly to your Windows 7 PC, with an internet connection. (You will use the USB power cable to establish the USB connection with your PC.) Please see below:
1.) Download http://cetoncorp.com/downloads/ctnechorecovery.exe to a Windows computer
2.) Plug echo into the computer via USB.
Please note: Make sure echo is hooked up to the network, as internet access is required for recovery.
Please note: Some status info is displayed during recovery via HDMI, so plug that in too.
3.) Turn off echo with remote
4.) Run ctnechorecovery.exe
5.) Point the Echo remote at the Echo while it is turned off, and enter this number sequence: 2065489548 (If sequence was enter correctly the Echo will power on with three (3) solid red lights)
Please note: You can hit zero (0) at least 5+ times to clear out any failed attempts. Be steady, with no pauses when entering the code.
6.) Please be patience as the tool attempts to recover your device. (At least five (5+) minutes per screen)
Please note: If you are stuck on the screen "Connecting to Ceton...". Please leave the unit alone, and update your ticket letting us know, and we will re-approve your download. It should move into the recovery process shortly after.
Please let us know if you have any questions or if this failed to finish.
Thank you,
Ceton Support
FYI, When my Echo restarted after the recover, I got my first HDMI picture. I did get stuck at "Connecting to Ceton". I updated my ticket and several minutes later it connected. I'm not sure if they did something or if it just took a long time to connect. I would guess the latter.

Thanks Eric, This will help us to get ready for the download from Ceton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 7721 Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Liked: 14
Finally got my echo up and running. Can confirm the problems that many others have mentioned. HD shows are pretty much unwatchable when the echo is set to 1080p. They are decently watchable at 720p, but that is pretty unacceptable for a released product. Also, as another person mentioned, sound will not work with AC-3 bitstreaming checkbox checked. Hopefully they get all these problems cleared up soon.
post #3873 of 7721 Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM

1. Installed the Echo 7MC plugin
2. Plugged in Ethernet cable
3. Plugged in HDMI
4. Plugged in USB power & "CETON" illuminated
5. Nothing for about 2 minutes and then, for a brief 10 seconds, the Media Center Extender setup code displayed before quickly disappearing and commencing an [apparent] update
6. And now...This (see picture). Nothing more. Going on an hour now...

On a happy note, I rather like the simple packaging and I particularly appreciate the size and solid feel of the Echo. I would actually enjoy the remote had it been equipped with more functionality as others have mentioned (this is a master bedroom solution for me and I rather like the smaller remote vs. the Harmony 900 I've been using with a 360).

Nathan
post #3874 of 7721 Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM

Eric, I received the same instructions and it finally went through all the steps but is now back at "recovering" which was where it was stuck at when I opened the ticket. Did yours go through that or was it fixed after the 10 steps and a reboot?
post #3875 of 7721 Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclausing View Post

Eric, I received the same instructions and it finally went through all the steps but is now back at "recovering" which was where it was stuck at when I opened the ticket. Did yours go through that or was it fixed after the 10 steps and a reboot?

When I opened my ticket I wasn't even able to get a signal through HDMI. After I followed the instructions it worked. Wish I could give you a better answer.

Eric
post #3876 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkflyd51 View Post

Argh, restarted my three Echos an hour ago to get the new firmware. Two installed it fine. The other has the progress bar @ 25% and has been stuck there for a good 40 minutes.... Yuck!

Well, this morning the one that was "stuck" is working (I left it on all night). It was playing "live TV" when I turned the TV on. I restarted it and it still has the 11-27 firmware- which is fine with me- much better than a bricked echo!
post #3877 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
There was an issue with the update servers last night which ceton is resolving at the present time. I think when that is resolved echos that are stuck should recover but what do I know?

post #3878 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjbrown View Post

1. Installed the Echo 7MC plugin
2. Plugged in Ethernet cable
3. Plugged in HDMI
4. Plugged in USB power & "CETON" illuminated
5. Nothing for about 2 minutes and then, for a brief 10 seconds, the Media Center Extender setup code displayed before quickly disappearing and commencing an [apparent] update
6. And now...This (see picture). Nothing more. Going on an hour now...
On a happy note, I rather like the simple packaging and I particularly appreciate the size and solid feel of the Echo. I would actually enjoy the remote had it been equipped with more functionality as others have mentioned (this is a master bedroom solution for me and I rather like the smaller remote vs. the Harmony 900 I've been using with a 360).
Nathan
your echo stuck at updating firmware step like a lot others.
post #3879 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 AM

Hi all,

It's been quite a while since I last posted (I did so around the time that the beta-features were announced, when people were concerned about the lack of DTS, 1080p, container support etc).

I went ahead and participated in the Beta. I'm in the UK, so it took quite a long time for my Echo to arrive, and I'm sure my experiences and requirements are different than many of those here.

Here are my conclusions.
  1. Ceton have been their own worst enemy in this beta, with confused messages, far too many bugs for a public beta, and appallingly bad communications. For example it's only through visiting here today that I discover that the beta program has ended, that the Echo is now officially launched, and that the experience I'm getting at home is the "finished product"! I assumed we were still in the beta phase.
  2. For me, even with the most recent firmware from the last couple of days, the Echo is the worst extender I've ever used, by a country mile. It crashes all the time, it doesn't appear to support 50Hz at all (whatever resolution I try it just uses 720p60), the sound is terrible with frequent clicks and squawks, the picture quality is shocking - my SD content has never looked so bad, it only boots up successfully about 70% of the time, and generally the whole experience has been a crushing disappointment. I will be swapping my DMA2100 back into its place and sending it back.
  3. The fact that Ceton are now pursuing Android suggests that there's no chance this is ever going to develop into the sort of device it was originally billed as, where a single, consistent 10' UI frontend would enable users to access recorded and live TV, their guide, their ripped or downloaded movies, audio etc. I expect this is mostly because Microsoft are unwiling to do anything to support the extender platform, but this is a Ceton product so I have to hold Ceton responsible for their failure to deliver.
  4. For me this whole experience is the final nail in the coffin of WMC. This is such a shame because the WMC experience on my main HTPC is excellent.
  5. So I'm off to go and try out MediaPortal and the recent builds of XBMC which include PVR support (since I'm in the UK I have no need to worry about encrypted channel support)

Such a shame. I very much hope for those who stick it out that Ceton manage to up their game and improve the product.
post #3880 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 07:00 AM

Unless of course someone in the UK would like to buy this one off me before I go through the massive hassle of getting it sent back internationally, and reclaiming the VAT and import duty which I had to pay to get it into this country in the first place!

Given my experience I can understand that you might not, but equally someone more willing to deal with the teething issues and install new firmwares over the next few weeks might have a better time of it than me.
post #3881 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quick question for you guys....

How long does it take for your Echo to catch an IP Address when you first power it on? Mine seems to take quite a while and I am wondering if this is the norm?

Do you get an IP right away or do you have to wait? One time, I will get an IP within 30 seconds, the next time I turn the unit on, it could take 2 - 3 minutes.

Thanks for any feedback!

Ray
post #3882 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post

How long does it take for your Echo to catch an IP Address when you first power it on? Mine seems to take quite a while and I am wondering if this is the norm?
Mine takes about 5 seconds to connect. From the time I turn it on, Media Center is displayed in about 45 seconds.
post #3883 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Since the new firmware was installed I can't get into the video settings. When I open the video settings page, before it loads I get a popup box saying invalid application.

post #3884 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Do you get an IP right away or do you have to wait? One time, I will get an IP within 30 seconds, the next time I turn the unit on, it could take 2 - 3 minutes.
Thanks for any feedback!
Ray

Mine is pretty quick now that I have bypassed the switch. I have the HTPC and Echo plugged into the router. Also, a couple days ago, somebody suggested to DMZ the Echo in the router, which I did. Not sure how I am going to DMZ 2 of them.
post #3885 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

This is what they had me do to unbrick my Echo:
Thank you for your continued patience, we're going to attempt a restore using our recovery tool. The process requires a USB connection directly to your Windows 7 PC, with an internet connection. (You will use the USB power cable to establish the USB connection with your PC.) Please see below:
1.) Download http://cetoncorp.com/downloads/ctnechorecovery.exe to a Windows computer
2.) Plug echo into the computer via USB.
Please note: Make sure echo is hooked up to the network, as internet access is required for recovery.
Please note: Some status info is displayed during recovery via HDMI, so plug that in too.
3.) Turn off echo with remote
4.) Run ctnechorecovery.exe
5.) Point the Echo remote at the Echo while it is turned off, and enter this number sequence: 2065489548 (If sequence was enter correctly the Echo will power on with three (3) solid red lights)
Please note: You can hit zero (0) at least 5+ times to clear out any failed attempts. Be steady, with no pauses when entering the code.
6.) Please be patience as the tool attempts to recover your device. (At least five (5+) minutes per screen)
Please note: If you are stuck on the screen "Connecting to Ceton...". Please leave the unit alone, and update your ticket letting us know, and we will re-approve your download. It should move into the recovery process shortly after.
Please let us know if you have any questions or if this failed to finish.
Thank you,
Ceton Support
FYI, When my Echo restarted after the recover, I got my first HDMI picture. I did get stuck at "Connecting to Ceton". I updated my ticket and several minutes later it connected. I'm not sure if they did something or if it just took a long time to connect. I would guess the latter.

I wish they would have had this utility/instructions during the beta. I had to send my beta unit back for not updating and Ceton was unsuccessful in forcing the unit to recovery mode remotely. I'm still waiting to get my beta unit back.
post #3886 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I originally received my Echo DOA. It wouldn't show any HDMI picture at all when I turned it on. Echo support had me type in recovery on the remote keypad. That didn't work. I was about to send it back. Just tonight, they had me download the "Ceton Echo Recovery" program and run a new image load through my PC.
It worked!!!
My bricked Echo is now working. I hope others can get this software and get theirs working as well.
Thanks
-Eric

Ugh. A week too late for me. Already had to RMA mine through newegg.

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
post #3887 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Since the new firmware was installed I can't get into the video settings. When I open the video settings page, before it loads I get a popup box saying invalid application.

Did you install the latest plugin? Check that.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #3888 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2009 View Post

Mine is pretty quick now that I have bypassed the switch. I have the HTPC and Echo plugged into the router. Also, a couple days ago, somebody suggested to DMZ the Echo in the router, which I did. Not sure how I am going to DMZ 2 of them.

Thanks for the feedback! I do have an open ticket with Ceton on this issue and I sent them diagnostics this morning. It is kind of hit-and-miss for me. It will catch the IP quickly one time then the next very slow. I am sure it is not anything major.

I got a reply from them at 01:13:00 this morning - so they are working late for sure!

Ray
post #3889 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

I installed ceton_echo_setup_w7_20121128_12_11_28_0970.exe on Thursday. They have ceton_echo_setup_w7_20121129_12_11_29_0977.exe available now so I installed it. Same problem.
post #3890 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for any feedback!
Ray

Quote:

Mine takes about 5 seconds to connect. From the time I turn it on, Media Center is displayed in about 45 seconds.

I think you guys have network issues. Mine boots up and connects in 30 to 45 seconds every time. It is usefull in under a minute.

post #3891 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

There is a bug report for this on the tracker site but I think it is intentionally disabled because it wasn't working correctly anyhow. 720p was the only screen resolution during the beta and this setting screen was never tested in the beta program. Also, this happened to me after updating to the Omega f/w with no change to the Echo Plug-in Application.

post #3892 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I installed ceton_echo_setup_w7_20121128_12_11_28_0970.exe on Thursday. They have ceton_echo_setup_w7_20121129_12_11_29_0977.exe available now so I installed it. Same problem.

Are there any changes in that plug-in that you can see?

post #3893 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Are there any changes in that plug-in that you can see?
There's an "About" section now that tells you the "Echo Version" and "Settings Version", and gives you the buttons to set the update channel to stable or beta. I have Echo Version 2012.1202.1302 and Settings Version 12.11.29.0977. I don't remember seeing that before.
Quote:
There is a bug report for this on the tracker site but I think it is intentionally disabled because it wasn't working correctly anyhow. 720p was the only screen resolution during the beta and this setting screen was never tested in the beta program. Also, this happened to me after updating to the Omega f/w with no change to the Echo Plug-in Application.

I could change the resolution with the previous firmware. I can't even see what it's set at in the Echo. My TV says it's 720p.
post #3894 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I think you guys have network issues. Mine boots up and connects in 30 to 45 seconds every time. It is usefull in under a minute.

I am good here network wise. Echo connects to an HP ProCurve 10/100/1000 non managed switch, then to my Airport Extreme router. In the APE, I have reserved a DHCP address for the Echo via MAC address (I do this for all of my equipment that does not leave the house).

It makes no difference if I do this with the APE, or my pfSense firewall - I have tested both with the same results.

I am going to do some time testing to see how long it actually takes. When I get an IP quickly, my experience is the same as yours, 45 or so seconds to the WIN MC main screen. I sent diagnostics to Ceton this morning and I am in hopes they might see something.

On another note, I am using the Echo with my Pioneer Pro-111 Plasma. If I set the Echo to 720p, the display or the Echo seems to have an issue detecting this resolution correctly, and I end up with a 4x3 display. If I unseat and re-seat the HDMI connection, everything is displayed correctly. 1080P is not a problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Ray
post #3895 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's an "About" section now that tells you the "Echo Version" and "Settings Version", and gives you the buttons to set the update channel to stable or beta. I have Echo Version 2012.1202.1302 and Settings Version 12.11.29.0977. I don't remember seeing that before.
I could change the resolution with the previous firmware. I can't even see what it's set at in the Echo. My TV says it's 720p.

I'll need to install that app tonight.

Yeah, with this f/w the video settings is not working but it wasn't working correctly before so I think ceton disabled it this time and set it to 720p which is what it was throughout the beta.

post #3896 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am good here network wise. Echo connects to an HP ProCurve 10/100/1000 non managed switch, then to my Airport Extreme router. In the APE, I have reserved a DHCP address for the Echo via MAC address (I do this for all of my equipment that does not leave the house).
It makes no difference if I do this with the APE, or my pfSense firewall - I have tested both with the same results.
I am going to do some time testing to see how long it actually takes. When I get an IP quickly, my experience is the same as yours, 45 or so seconds to the WIN MC main screen. I sent diagnostics to Ceton this morning and I am in hopes they might see something.
On another note, I am using the Echo with my Pioneer Pro-111 Plasma. If I set the Echo to 720p, the display or the Echo seems to have an issue detecting this resolution correctly, and I end up with a 4x3 display. If I unseat and re-seat the HDMI connection, everything is displayed correctly. 1080P is not a problem.
Any ideas?
Thanks - Ray

I'm using DHCP on my Buffalo DD-WRT configured router. It never changes the ip address of known MAC addresses anyhow. Currently the Echo is on the same Trendnet unmanaged Gig switch as my HTPC.

post #3897 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I'm using DHCP on my Buffalo DD-WRT configured router. It never changes the ip address of known MAC addresses anyhow. Currently the Echo is on the same Trendnet unmanaged Gig switch as my HTPC.

The reserved DHCP is over-kill and I know that! smile.gif I am sure the Apple router would be the same way. Kind of fell in to this habit and have kept it going all along.

For further testing, I might blow this setting away and see what happens - just let it get an IP from the "pool".

This is not a show-stopper and I am not really complaining, just want to make sure what I am seeing is normal.
post #3898 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash2009 View Post

You need a better router or better router f/w.

post #3899 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM

so this morning i updated the fw on the echo...

ever since then the thing has been in the constant connect/reboot cycle...

the connecting screen comes on, then it flickers about ten seconds in, then back to connecting, then flicker again... rinse/repeat for about 10-15 minutes or so until the connecting screen freezes and turns all pixelated and rainbow colored... power down, then back up, then rinse/repeat same thing again... this is been going on since about 11 this morning, so last 3 hours...

it was working great until the firmware update... well, not great great, but it was working... the connecting screen was on for maybe 30 seconds, at most, and then it would launch the mc interface etc, etc, etc... in other words, network-wise everything was working just as it should...

i changed no settings before the firmware update...

tried updating the plugin, just in case...

tried changing the echo's ip through my router... it worked, the echo's new ip shows up on the connecting screen, but that didn't solve my problem...

tried uninstalling the extender from mc's interface... echo instantly recognized the uninstall, and spit out the screen with the key... reinstalled everything to the same host, and the setup went fine... the host seems to see the and configure the echo without issues, but echo still stuck in a loop... as it's looping, i can see it appearing as "ready to use", then disappearing in the mc's extenders settings...

tried using a different swtich, connecting to the router directly, even using a different older router... same problem...

haven't yet tried dmz the echo's ip, or connecting to a different host...

very, very frustrated so far...
post #3900 of 7721 Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

There was an issue with ceton's update server. I don't know if it is fixed yet.

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page