post #4231 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallWalrus View Post

Ugh, I would guess that Ben releasing the review means Ceton has told him the 1080i fix is still more than a few days away.

Yes that is correct. I help my review in the hopes that it would be fixed and gave up waiting after about a week without any updates.

Ben
How good could it be if it isn't HD?
Engadget HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

No, what he was saying is that it was useless to put discrete buttons ON the controller itself.
It's good that the unit understands discrete on and off, but why have a button for it on the controller? Should just have a ON/OFF button that sends a on/off toggle to the unit.
The controller design makes absolutely no sense. Eject button? Huh?

Hey, it did me a favor since I could just learn the discreet on/discrete off and put it away. Otherwise I would have had to go off in search of the discrete codes.

xnappo
post #4233 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I'm not so sure it is fixable. It would be nice if ceton would address whether or not it is actually a problem with the SoC or if it is something that they can fix but are having trouble with the code for it.
I am a bit disappointed in the inability to stream mkv's with dts or any HD Audio varient as well.
The ROI strictly as an extender strickly for CableTV copy protected content is rather long.. Something like 32 months based on $5/month for a STB in Charter land.. So for me, doing the HBR content and HD Audio makes that a little more palitable.

I've talked with a few people at Ceton, all of them are very confident that they'll be able to work out the problem with their partner. It really comes down to trying to get the latest and greatest hardware to work as advertised.

ROI on a DVR, that always makes me laugh. You do one when you buy a car too? I suspect if people did, more might ride the bus.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #4234 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

No, what he was saying is that it was useless to put discrete buttons ON the controller itself.
It's good that the unit understands discrete on and off, but why have a button for it on the controller? Should just have a ON/OFF button that sends a on/off toggle to the unit.
The controller design makes absolutely no sense. Eject button? Huh?

For ppl without universal learning remote, it is kind of odd and useless. But for ppl with universal learning remote, it is godsend. How can you ever get to the on/off discrete code easily without it? Ceton is a small company and places like Logitech Harmony won't bother to ask Ceton for its On/Off codes.
post #4235 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

The ROI strictly as an extender strickly for CableTV copy protected content is rather long.. Something like 32 months based on $5/month for a STB in Charter land.. So for me, doing the HBR content and HD Audio makes that a little more palitable.

Although a small amount, I figure power savings from this unit over my Dish 922 to be ~$3/month, and less heat for the A/C to remove in the summer. I would assume most of Charter's equipment likely draw a bit more as some of Dish's boxes just a couple years older were drawing 10+ more watts than the 922.
post #4236 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post

A few random comments on the review:
First, the timing is interesting, given that the Echo has been out for a while, and Ben had a beta unit. Maybe TallWalrus is right and he was trying to wait for a 1080i fix. I don't mean to be overly pessimistic, but there's relatively little reason to think the fix is just around the corner. The Ceton folks must have noticed that problem during their own alpha testing, so Freescale has had a few months to come up with a fix.
Yes, TallWalrus is right.
Quote:

I agree with Ben's take on the remote- it's terrible all-around. I don't understand why Ceton put discrete on/off buttons on this remote. Sure, it's great to have the Echo understand discrete on/off IR commands to work with universal remotes, but it seems like there was no reason to have this remote have discrete buttons.
Andy is right about the remote, the idea I got is that they didn't like any of the available remotes, so they went with the one that would impact the price of the Echo the least. Building a "good" remote is a much bigger project than making an extender, most will just use the one they have.
Quote:

I think Ben should have included a few words about media playback capabilities. I understand that's an area where WMC's restrictions come into play, and its hard to distinguish a WMC issue from an Echo issue, but I still think its relevant. Ceton set some expectations with A/V playback capabilities, by putting out the DTS press release, suggesting it would play back common video formats, and advertising an ability to play back videos from "personal media libraries." That doesn't appear to be working well now- not even compared to the Xbox.
Initially I had planned to, but it seems that what the Echo can play right now is far from what Ceton wants it to be able to do, so it would've just been another, might be great if sections.
Quote:

There was no mention of Ceton's Android's plans. That might turn out to be wise, given Ceton is still working on it. You probably don't want a ton of speculation on that in a review.
This is actually a bit of an oversight. I finished most of the review before this was announced and then later decided not to add it for pretty much the reason you surmised.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #4237 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

For ppl without universal learning remote, it is kind of odd and useless. But for ppl with universal learning remote, it is godsend. How can you ever get to the on/off discrete code easily without it? Ceton is a small company and places like Logitech Harmony won't bother to ask Ceton for its On/Off codes.

It is useful for people with crapy programmable remotes that you can't enter hex codes into.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #4238 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

I've talked with a few people at Ceton, all of them are very confident that they'll be able to work out the problem with their partner. It really comes down to trying to get the latest and greatest hardware to work as advertised.
ROI on a DVR, that always makes me laugh. You do one when you buy a car too? I suspect if people did, more might ride the bus.

Thanks for the updated information. I hope they get it sorted out.

Well I'm just looking at how many months of renting a DVR from the cable company it takes to break even on the purchase of an echo. This one is maybe 7 months due to the DVR fee of $20/month but the next one would be 32 months because the DVR fees are already absorbed by the first one.. HAHA! I don't know how to put a value on the charter EPG with its clunky-ness and advertisement too. The WMC guide with Channel Logos plugin is pretty good.

I do consider the cost or ROI of buying a car, that's why my truck is nearly 12 years old now as it is a negative return in pure dollar terms. Plus, I ride a train to work every day.

post #4239 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Hey, it did me a favor since I could just learn the discreet on/discrete off and put it away. Otherwise I would have had to go off in search of the discrete codes.
xnappo
Sorry for the slight detour, but if you're the same xnappo that hangs out in the JP1 forums, would you please post your upgrade over there? And if not, can you post those discretes here as pronto hex or JP1 codes?
TIA
post #4240 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

No, what he was saying is that it was useless to put discrete buttons ON the controller itself. ...

Completely understood that, without the discrete on/off you can't program the discrete IR codet for automation.
That is a good thing to have so the discretes can be programmed, unless a CCF (pronto) file is released.

As to the remote it self, it is completly usless. Totally agree. My fingers can't even hit the buttons withput me looking at the remote, or the wrong ones are hit.

post #4241 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What is the problem with having a PC in the HT? That is an HTPC isn't it?

Yes, and I even setup a test one, because of the state of the Echo. I am trying to decide the best way to go. I would perfer not to have a pc in my HT. As would others. Not saying it's a bad thing. just for me I would perfer not to. I don't want to have to fix it every once in a while etc.

My test one is great, fanless and motion less. cheap and silent. I just don't want my movie store there as well, and if that is the main 7MC box, yada yada yada ...

It's much nicer haveing a VM and a server store, thats all.

post #4242 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have to fix it once in a while. Tinker, yes. Fix, no. Although I am going to swap the SSD soon.

Most stuff I can do remotely from my office anyhow. It is only items specific to the setting (graphics and audio) that need to be adjusted in the HT and that is all set so there's nothing really to do.

post #4243 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallWalrus View Post

Ugh, I would guess that Ben releasing the review means Ceton has told him the 1080i fix is still more than a few days away.

Yes that is correct. I help my review in the hopes that it would be fixed and gave up waiting after about a week without any updates.

I think you were rather nice in the review. I can see that they have earned some goodwill over the years.

In search of video bliss...
post #4244 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Sorry for the slight detour, but if you're the same xnappo that hangs out in the JP1 forums, would you please post your upgrade over there? And if not, can you post those discretes here as pronto hex or JP1 codes?
TIA

Sure Dave - I didn't bother since it is just one code.

xnappo
post #4245 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Update on the remote.. or should I say re-hash.

I do remember jeremy or michael saying something about getting Echo listed as a device with logitec with the remote codes available there. I'm pretty sure that this is low priority for them right now.

post #4246 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

It is useful for people with crapy programmable remotes that you can't enter hex codes into.

Be careful with that statement. You can't enter hex codes for Logitech remotes IIRC. You have to send them over to Logitech support to enter them for you. I did that a while back.
post #4247 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Reported on the beta forums less than an hour ago (I just checked):
Quote:
I just checked for a F/W update and found a 2012.1211.1243(austin) update available. After the update was applied, I checked under video settings and saw an option labelled "native" in addition to 1080p, 720p and 480p. Now when switching between 720p channels and 1080i channels my AVR shows 720p output on 720p channels and 1080p output on 1080i channels. Video stuttering seems to be greatly reduced in my limited testing. Heading out to dinner with the wifey, so I'll have to do further testing when I get back home.

I won't be home for nearly 3 hours. Anybody else get this f/w update yet?

post #4248 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM

Not showing up on mine as available. Must be in beta testers queue only.
post #4249 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
I just checked for a F/W update and found a 2012.1211.1243(austin) update available. After the update was applied, I checked under video settings and saw an option labelled "native" in addition to 1080p, 720p and 480p. Now when switching between 720p channels and 1080i channels my AVR shows 720p output on 720p channels and 1080p output on 1080i channels. Video stuttering seems to be greatly reduced in my limited testing. Heading out to dinner with the wifey, so I'll have to do further testing when I get back home.

Not seeing one here.

post #4250 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeR2 View Post

Not showing up on mine as available. Must be in beta testers queue only.

Do you have your echo set for the beta server?

I know Omega was filtered by MAC ID previously. I think I got that one first. Just happened to be home at the time. I will check for Austin as soon as I get home tonight.

post #4251 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM

I checked beta and stable, not under either
post #4252 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Be careful with that statement. You can't enter hex codes for Logitech remotes IIRC. You have to send them over to Logitech support to enter them for you. I did that a while back.

You can enter Hex codes yourself... I followed this a while ago but have since switched to a URC MX-900 so I dont know if it's still valid

Log in to your account on members.harmonyremote.com, then go to THIS link. You don't have to learn a button first. You create it on the fly. On that page, first click "Select an Active Device" and pick your device. Then click "Manual", paste your hex into the Data Value box under Pronto, then click "Process". If it's valid, click "Next' and you get the option to name your new command and click "Add".

post #4253 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Careful? That is exactly why I said it. The Harmony might be the most popular programable remote, but it'll always be crap in my book because it isn't programmable enough. You can have your hand held while you go through a wizard if you want. Logitech bought the Harmony remote and then ruined it.

Ben
Engadget HD
post #4254 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Careful? That is exactly why I said it. The Harmony might be the most popular programable remote, but it'll always be crap in my book because it isn't programmable enough. You can have your hand held while you go through a wizard if you want. Logitech bought the Harmony remote and then ruined it.

I think we have both said it time and time again... Harmony remotes = the best of the worst.

Software Developer on My Media Center -> Ceton Corp.

post #4255 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

It can be done if you follow this guide,

post #4256 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

No Austin f/w for me either.. yet.

post #4257 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motz2k1 View Post

I think we have both said it time and time again... Harmony remotes = the best of the worst.
JP1.
post #4258 of 7721 Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

It's a shame Philips killed the Pronto lines. So much could be done with those remotes.
post #4259 of 7721 Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 AM

Just checked this morning - no firmware updates available for me yet.

Ray
post #4260 of 7721 Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

So has anyone actually confirmed this? I'm still running the latest stable, is it worth changing to the beta track for firmware?
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page