Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

Is there any way to make the WMC guide on the Echo larger? I've got a fairly large margin around the guide now and its making the text a bit touch to see from long distances.

The next settings add-in allows you to change alter those settings.

Mikinho

Microsoft WECH MVP | Missing Remote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 191

Does that work on the WMC guide too? I thought it was just for MB and haven't had time to run through that yet as I didn't know if I even wanted to until the 2012.1213.1024 f/w made it clear that ceton was getting a handle on the echo's video playback performance. I may still wait as MB is mostly useless unless HBR mkv's play with dts and HD Audio support on the echo anyhow.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikinho View Post

That's good news. For me, and others have reported it too, the text is truncated in the echo menus.

BTW, do you know if this will fix the Blue Border issue with MB too?

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

That's good news. For me, and others have reported it too, the text is truncated in the echo menus.
BTW, do you know if this will fix the Blue Border issue with MB too?
Thanks.

Still looking into the truncated menus (usually exiting and going back in fixes)

The margins will help with all add-ins and areas of Media Center

Mikinho

Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

So maybe this setting you are working on will negate the need for the registry hacks posted on MB website.

I guess the truncated text and the size of the guide are two separate issues. I thought maybe they were related.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:

So maybe this setting you are working on will negate the need for the registry hacks posted on MB website.
I guess the truncated text and the size of the guide are two separate issues. I thought maybe they were related.

It is just a GUI for those settings. I had in in a private build last week with some other Media Center tweaks.

Mikinho

Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

It is just a GUI for those settings. I had in in a private build last week with some other Media Center tweaks.

If you can do that, is there any way to have a gui for the NAS account settings(access to media on a computer other than the HTPC host) directly on the extender? Obviously not critical since there are tools to do it...

xnappo
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Liked: 15
+1! That would be awesome to have NAS settings right on the extender!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgertge View Post

+1! That would be awesome to have NAS settings right on the extender!

Won't happen in the next build but I'll add it to the wishlist smile.gif

(Btw...my wife asked for that so it will most likely happen sooner than later)

Mikinho

Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Does that work on the WMC guide too? I thought it was just for MB and haven't had
time to run through that yet as I didn't know if I even wanted to until the 2012.1213.1024 f/w
made it clear that ceton was getting a handle
on the echo's video playback performance. I
may still wait as MB is mostly useless unless
HBR mkv's play with dts and HD Audio support on the echo anyhow.
It's for removing the overscan on the extender. It will work on all of MC.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 AM

I've been wondering, does everyone have a black background for the echo ? I run a "theme" on my HTPC for WMC and wasn't sure if that was the reason it doesn't show up on the echo or if extenders generally don't show anything but a black theme.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyusa View Post

I've been wondering, does everyone have a black background for the echo ? I run a "theme" on my HTPC for WMC and wasn't sure if that was the reason it doesn't show up on the echo or if extenders generally don't show anything but a black theme.

Don't know about the echo but I have a custom theme for WMC as well and it shows up on my 360 extender. Would think it should show up on the echo as well?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Sorry guys I have a pending ticket to describe how to theme extenders properly but other items keep coming up. The issue isn't with the Echo. If you see our CES videos \ photos from last year you'll see the Echo is themed (I wrote the themer). It is the theming software you are using doesn't know how to handle all extenders properly. I'll try to get it documented today.

Just checked and we even had different themes running on different Echos from the same source HTPC. The idea was my daughter wanted a different theme (most likely Hello Kitty) than my son (Bleach or some other anime): http://www.missingremote.com/news/2012-01-14/ceton-ces-2012

Mikinho

Old 12-14-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

This will be great. To be clear, I'm looking for no overscan while increasing the size of the WMC elements (eg. Guide).

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
Old 12-14-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowolski View Post

It's for removing the overscan on the extender. It will work on all of MC.

I don't have the overscan issue in WMC on my HTPC, only on the echo which is the only extender I have. I am thinking that michael's fix will be the way to go if the truncated text and overscan are related. I'll wait because more than half of my library is dts so using MB which launches the WMC player inside the echo is pointless as I cannot watch all of it and others will have no clue as to why they get the files not available error.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry guys I have a pending ticket to describe how to theme extenders properly but other items keep coming up. The issue isn't with the Echo. If you see our CES videos \ photos from last year you'll see the Echo is themed (I wrote the themer). It is the theming software you are using doesn't know how to handle all extenders properly. I'll try to get it documented today.
Just checked and we even had different themes running on different Echos from the same source HTPC. The idea was my daughter wanted a different theme (most likely Hello Kitty) than my son (Bleach or some other anime): http://www.missingremote.com/news/2012-01-14/ceton-ces-2012

A lot of talk about pairing with the Q for additional functionallity there. Since the Q is shelved for the time being, I'm thinking the android application on the echo for web access and media streaming from a library is replacing that?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

This worked perfectly. I now have zero overscan on the TV (make sure you setup Media Center to output TV..not Flat Panel) and zero margin Media Center elements on both the HTPC and Echo

Thanks for the link.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Sounds great to me, I'll be patient smile.gif

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

This worked perfectly. I now have zero overscan on the TV (make sure you setup Media Center to output TV..not Flat Panel) and zero margin Media Center elements on both the HTPC and Echo
Thanks for the link.

I have Media Center set up for flat panel and it works fine through my HTPC. I see these overscan issues in MB and the trucated text everywhere in MC only on the echo.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I have Media Center set up for flat panel and it works fine through my HTPC. I see these overscan issues in MB and the trucated text everywhere in MC only on the echo.

Yes - that overscan issue is only on extenders.

I used to have the truncated text when I was running 720p, but since I switched to 1080p with the nice new update everything looks right.

xnappo
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Yes - that overscan issue is only on extenders.
I used to have the truncated text when I was running 720p, but since I switched to 1080p with the nice new update everything looks right.
xnappo

I have mine in "native" and it is still truncated but my TV is 1080p and I'm using a Denon AVR-2312ci. Later the echo will be connected to 720p TV's in other locations with or without AVR's.

I need to get some ethernet to these locations.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You might want to double check that on your HTPC.

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/missing-remote-tips-and-tweaks-2-preventing-sneaky-tv-overscan-windows-7-media-center

Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

"Television" is for either CRT or DLP.

"Flat Panel" is for LCD/LED or Plasma.

I see no reason why it should be set for something different on the echo than it is on the HTPC, which looks fine.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Television" is for either CRT or DLP.
"Flat Panel" is for LCD/LED or Plasma.
I see no reason why it should be set for something different on the echo than it is on the HTPC, which looks fine.

Yup..

For fun, you should change your HTPC to TV and see if you notice any difference on your HTPC..not Echo. I noticed that my guide got smaller and showed more content that I was missing...most notable on stations that show tickers,

Sorry that this is a bit OT for this thread.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Not really OT if it leads to a solution on the echo..

Old 12-14-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Should I get 2012.1213.1022 or just stick with 2012.1212.1449?

Quote:

If 2012.1212.1449 works without issue for you then no need to update to later 2012.1213.1022. Just wait for next smile.gif

I did it anyhow because I wanted to see if the echo would have to recover like it did when loading 2012.1212.1449. It loaded 2012.1213.1022 without issue.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stst View Post

Hi- newb here.
I am quite happy with my Echo- running the 1202 FW at the moment. Quality is good enough for us for standard HDTV. But there are a few issues that are absolutely killing the WAF:
1. HD-PVR (H.264) playback:
We have about 500GB of recordings taken with Mythtv and a Hauppauge HD-PVR. The recordings play OK with some jitter, but you can't pause, forward or reverse. The Echo will crash every single time. If you just let the recording run, it's OK. Tried to repackage into an MKV container and that plays fine on the WMC PC, but on the Echo I get only sound. And it still crashes when trying to forward, reverse or pause.
2. IR extender:
We have our equipment on the other side of the wall in a cabinet. An IR extender is controlling everything. Everything else works perfectly, just the Echo doesn't.
Symptoms:
- STB, Receiver, Roku, MYTHTV-PC, DVD Player all work with the extender
- The MYTHTV-PC actually uses a Microsoft MC remote that is 100% compatible with the Echo and it works perfectly!
- Pointing any of our 4 compatible remotes directly at the Echo works no problem
- The same 4 remotes can all control the MYTHTV PC via the IR extender
- The same 4 remotes fired at the Echo via the IR extender work in maybe 1 in 20 commands
- When I reflect the remote off something (for example my glasses) before it hits the IR receiver, I get more than 50% success rate, independent of the remote used
My best guess is there must be some signal distortion going on, that the Echo is particularly susceptible to. But why would it get better when reflected first? Is the signal too strong?
I tried reprogramming the Echo to only listen to one of the 8 frequencies and not all simultaneously, but had no success using the instructions somebody posted here earlier. Did anybody try if that actually works?
Sorry for the long post....

There is a thin plastic protective film accross the front of the Echo. You might have removed the film all ready. Are you having remote problems even with the plastic removed?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM

Try watching this video. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3829

I was stuck on that one for a couple days too.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

IDK, I pretty much figured that out on my own by pushing everything to see what happened.

biggrin.gif

Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 PM

Liked: 12
Ok, so I think I got pretty much everything working with my home theater setup and this echo.

I got an HTPC/DVR in the living room running WMC and shark007 codecs and my tuner is the hd homerun prime. Finally got surround working with aac audio, got MKV movies playing, everything seems cool.

All I got now is this issue where playing live tv on the echo after 10 or so minutes, the audio stops working.

It doesn't makes sense that it would be a codec or other issue, this has to be the ceton.

If it's not the ceton, I'm going to need to find some combination of software (XBMC or something) and codecs to do everything and make audio work with the ceton. Currently to fix the audio, I just have to change the channel and switch back. But that doesn't help if I'm currently buffering and don't want to lose what I have buffered.

I'm just going to wait I guess and hope this issue gets fixed in the long term.

So close.

P.S. There's still that scrolling marquee and pixelization stuff happening but it's pretty infrequent.

Tags
Blu Ray Players