Originally Posted by stst
Hi- newb here.
I am quite happy with my Echo- running the 1202 FW at the moment. Quality is good enough for us for standard HDTV. But there are a few issues that are absolutely killing the WAF:
1. HD-PVR (H.264) playback:
We have about 500GB of recordings taken with Mythtv and a Hauppauge HD-PVR. The recordings play OK with some jitter, but you can't pause, forward or reverse. The Echo will crash every single time. If you just let the recording run, it's OK. Tried to repackage into an MKV container and that plays fine on the WMC PC, but on the Echo I get only sound. And it still crashes when trying to forward, reverse or pause.
2. IR extender:
We have our equipment on the other side of the wall in a cabinet. An IR extender is controlling everything. Everything else works perfectly, just the Echo doesn't.
- STB, Receiver, Roku, MYTHTV-PC, DVD Player all work with the extender
- The MYTHTV-PC actually uses a Microsoft MC remote that is 100% compatible with the Echo and it works perfectly!
- Pointing any of our 4 compatible remotes directly at the Echo works no problem
- The same 4 remotes can all control the MYTHTV PC via the IR extender
- The same 4 remotes fired at the Echo via the IR extender work in maybe 1 in 20 commands
- When I reflect the remote off something (for example my glasses) before it hits the IR receiver, I get more than 50% success rate, independent of the remote used
My best guess is there must be some signal distortion going on, that the Echo is particularly susceptible to. But why would it get better when reflected first? Is the signal too strong?
I tried reprogramming the Echo to only listen to one of the 8 frequencies and not all simultaneously, but had no success using the instructions somebody posted here earlier. Did anybody try if that actually works?
Sorry for the long post....