post #4861 of 7721 Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3Pil0t View Post

Can anyone recommend a good cable modem / 4 port gigabit switch / wireless access point all in one that is proven to work well with the Echo? Not 'all in one' is also an option. I am after performance for streaming. I have the crappy Comcast all in one (that I currently rent). I am not convinced of the performance...the networking features are certainly questionable...

The only one tried the all-in-one product is Motorola. It turned out to be a pretty crappy product. Buy them separately is cheaper and flexible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 7721 Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Android/XBMC support since it was never announced as one of the features being delivered with the released version of the Echo. We've only been given a teaser indicating that it's in development and will be released in a future update. For now, I just want mkv playback to work.

Yes - I am just saying that if they ONLY work through Android/XBMC that is acceptable. Would prefer it worked through WMC, but will accept another app to play them.

xnappo
post #4863 of 7721 Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Android/XBMC support since it was never announced as one of the features being delivered with the released version of the Echo. We've only been given a teaser indicating that it's in development and will be released in a future update. For now, I just want mkv playback to work.

With1080i for TV and dts with all HD Audio for mkv's. That's all I need to work and it's a keeper for me.

post #4864 of 7721 Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The only one tried the all-in-one product is Motorola. It turned out to be a pretty crappy product. Buy them separately is cheaper and flexible.

What would you recommend? I'm pretty new to networking hardware and not sure what would be affordable and suitable for a small home network.
Needs to connect to Comcast cable internet. Network users will be wireless access for tablets, phones and laptops, as well as wired access for a gaming PC that doubles as HTPC/DVR (infiniTV 4 tuner, extended to 2 x TVs with Echo's).

On topic: is there a planned release date for the next firmware revision to the Beta channel? Wife was oogling the companion app on my nexus 7 last night while laying in bed watching blade trinity on the echo biggrin.gif

WAF is high right now, time to squeeze out some new network hardware...wink.gif
post #4865 of 7721 Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I like my Buffalo router. It has dd-wrt out of the box which is a good thing.

post #4866 of 7721 Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 PM

Liked: 10
Can a few of you check your C:\Users\Mcx1-USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp folder and see how many ctnecho_xxxx folders are there?

Every single time I boot my Echo up it creates a new folder with the same files in it. There's also a corresponding .cmd script file in the parent folder that appears to be setup to delete the previous folders (but is apparently never successful). As far as I can tell, the folders that are generated are for the settings plugin you can access from the TV. It's pretty annoying because my software firewall treats each instance of the plugin as an unknown executable and consequently asks for permission to access my network. If I'm not at my PC to allow access, I can't bring up the settings from the TV. Plus, I don't want to have to worry about cleaning extraneous files out of that folder all the time.

I'm sure it's just a bug, but I was wondering if others are experiencing it as well.
post #4867 of 7721 Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow.. there's a lot of those. I'm not seeing a cmd script in these folders though. Ceton needs to fix this as this is pure bloat that I don't need poluting the limited space on my SSD.

post #4868 of 7721 Old 01-09-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 15
Same here. I have the folders, but no cmd script.
post #4869 of 7721 Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 PM

Liked: 12
Good catch. Mine had 338 files in 84 folders. (about 18MB)
post #4870 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenethyl View Post

Can a few of you check your C:\Users\Mcx1-USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp folder and see how many ctnecho_xxxx folders are there?

I have 183 of them taking up 37 MB.
post #4871 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I have posted this issue in the beta forums and the bug tracker.

post #4872 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My Echo is not showing my Netflix plug in under Movies. It appears to work well thus far even though I still don't have my CableCard activated by Time Warner. It does show the Amazon plug in. I was hoping to use Echos to replace most devices , like my Roku so I could do everything from a single device. Anyone able to use the Netflix plug in?

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #4873 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

My Echo is not showing my Netflix plug in under Movies. It appears to work well thus far even though I still don't have my CableCard activated by Time Warner. It does show the Amazon plug in. I was hoping to use Echos to replace most devices , like my Roku so I could do everything from a single device. Anyone able to use the Netflix plug in?

netflix doesn't work on the extenders anymore.
post #4874 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. View Post

netflix doesn't work on the extenders anymore.

That sucks. So it will be up to a third party app to make it work or I have to add a Roku box to the mix. Right now I'm on the fence even going the HTPC route because Time Warner is so incompetent that they can't activate a CableCard. I don't blame Ceton, but if I can't get support from the provider, the $400 I just dropped on the tuner and extender become worthless.

What would have been nice is a combo box. I mean a Roku is under $100. Would be nice to see Ceton make a box the ran apps like Roku and was an Extender. That'd be a nice piece of gear. Ceton and Roku should get together on that.

post #4875 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 AM

Liked: 10
i guess my echo was a brick after all. RMA'd it, got a new one, and it seems to basically be working. i have 2 issues (aside from my mkv bluray rips not playing)...

1) green screen. i turn the TV on and there's a green tint over the media center start menu. once i go to live TV it goes away.
2) movie channels are buggy. i'm on Fios, and my HBO/Cinemax channels aren't coming in. i get a black screen with jittery audio. once i change the channel, the black screen goes away and the video plays in the instance before the channel changes.

i have the video resolution set as "native". anyone know what's going on?
post #4876 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Is anyone considering returning the Echo before the return policy runs out?

I am on the fence at this point, basic TV play back still isn't so great, and no other additions have been made or changed.

post #4877 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

That sucks. So it will be up to a third party app to make it work or I have to add a Roku box to the mix. Right now I'm on the fence even going the HTPC route because Time Warner is so incompetent that they can't activate a CableCard. I don't blame Ceton, but if I can't get support from the provider, the $400 I just dropped on the tuner and extender become worthless.

What would have been nice is a combo box. I mean a Roku is under $100. Would be nice to see Ceton make a box the ran apps like Roku and was an Extender. That'd be a nice piece of gear. Ceton and Roku should get together on that.

I'm thinking that the andriod app for the echo will do the netflix and hulu things.

post #4878 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radams927 View Post

i guess my echo was a brick after all. RMA'd it, got a new one, and it seems to basically be working. i have 2 issues (aside from my mkv bluray rips not playing)...

1) green screen. i turn the TV on and there's a green tint over the media center start menu. once i go to live TV it goes away.
2) movie channels are buggy. i'm on Fios, and my HBO/Cinemax channels aren't coming in. i get a black screen with jittery audio. once i change the channel, the black screen goes away and the video plays in the instance before the channel changes.

i have the video resolution set as "native". anyone know what's going on?

What f/w are you on?

Do you have an AVR betweent he echo and the display?

I beleive this an EDID/HDCP/HDMI issue that is being resolved.

post #4879 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Can't say until I really get into it. Once I have an active CC I'll run it through its HD paces.

I'm personally at the point where I could throw in the towel on paid TV. However, the family has their shows they like, so for now it stays.

Still watching DirecTV and Dish. Was interested in the new Sling loaded Hopper until I heard they still only have 3 tuners available. I'd really like the Arris Gateway with TWC. Arris allows PlayOn support.

Anyway, I'm hoping this works out.

post #4880 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

I am on the fence at this point, basic TV play back still isn't so great, and no other additions have been made or changed.

It is in the back of my mind but I will wait until mid-February to make this decision.

That said, it has been over a week since any f/w updates have been dished out on any f/w channel and I am wanting to get away from being forced to use 720p to get audio. The 1214 f/w previous to this 1228 omega build was actually better; the best to date I think.

post #4881 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Sure, but Ceton has some time before the return policy runs out- basically the end of February.

I was originally in a hurry to get Echos because I was moving into a larger home and was planning to add TVs. That went on about the same time the fall TV season began. The timing of the Echo, and its initial state, meant my initial plans didn't work out. So, I'm not in a huge hurry to make a move in any particular direction. So, I'll probably wait until the last minute to decide whether or not its going back.

At this point I'm mostly disappointed with WMC. I don't think I'll ever be happy with a WMC extender for playing back blu-ray rips. If I would only use it for TV anyway, I might be inclined to pack up my DVR server and just use a satellite/cable-provided whole-home DVR. I'm pretty surprised TiVo hasn't gotten their act together and released the TiVo Mini/Preview box. That was my previous back-up plan, but they're sure taking their time on that one.

I'll be really curious to see what they can do with Android support. WMC is a dead platform, which limits my enthusiasm over WMC extenders, but maybe they can do something cool with Android support. XBMC and MediaPortal extenders come to mind.
post #4882 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 AM

Liked: 13
my echo has started to lock up every time after the WMC welcome screen.. won’t respond to any remote commands other than on/off.

The only way i've found to temporarily fix the issue is quick presses on the D-pad either up or down during the wmc welcome screen and at that point i'll be able to navigate the wmc menu once it loads.. I said temporarily because after couple mins of watching TV it will reboot itself.

I'm thinking of starting over the setup process. What do i have to delete on the host htpc in order to complete a fresh re-pairing? any hiden files in the appdata folder etc? I'm on 1219 f/w beta ch. is there a way to reformat the echo?

Thanks
post #4883 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenethyl View Post

I just checked my system and there were zero of these folders.
post #4884 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Liked: 11
You need to adjust your folder settings to show hidden and system files.
post #4885 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post

Sure, but Ceton has some time before the return policy runs out- basically the end of February.
At this point I'm mostly disappointed with WMC. I don't think I'll ever be happy with a WMC extender for playing back blu-ray rips. If I would only use it for TV anyway, I might be inclined to pack up my DVR server and just use a satellite/cable-provided whole-home DVR. I'm pretty surprised TiVo hasn't gotten their act together and released the TiVo Mini/Preview box. That was my previous back-up plan, but they're sure taking their time on that one.

I was just curious to see what was on everyones mind. I am going to wait until mid feb as well. I am just really so disapointed on the Echo.

I don't really have a backup plan, and WMC is so very frustrating to tweak and get right. I have two pretty nice setups at this point, but my new AVR put my HTPC on it's head (HDMI switching and audio loss), still testing and I am about to move to just one this month (I hope).

I just ordered a used HP x280n extender to play with. I am going to replace the Echo in the MB with it, until Ceton gets it right or at least usable again.

post #4886 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just curious to see what was on everyones mind. I am going to wait until mid feb as well. I am just really so disapointed on the Echo.

I don't really have a backup plan, and WMC is so very frustrating to tweak and get right. I have two pretty nice setups at this point, but my new AVR put my HTPC on it's head (HDMI switching and audio loss), still testing and I am about to move to just one this month (I hope).

I just ordered a used HP x280n extender to play with. I am going to replace the Echo in the MB with it, until Ceton gets it right or at least usable again.

There are some tips on HDMI handshake issues in the Denon XX12 thread over in the receiver section. Start reading from here if you haven't already seen or read this.

post #4887 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

I haven't thought of returning it per se! But I have moved it out of the main family room for the time being and i am Not ready to jump on the platform as a full replacement for extender duties in the home. My customers (family) wouldn't have it.

I put the trusted (yes loud, hot, bulky whatever) Xbox back into primary DVR/Tv management duties for the less tolerant household members. While I don't watch a lot of non-HD content the kid and wife seem to love it, and latest echo FW has regressed in this area. Also, having Hulu + Netflix is a must for them.

Now, I still believe that Ceton will get the PVR functionality of the echo right but unlike others I'm not sold on the whole android thing. This could be because of lack of exposure to the droid world or the fact that my iPad works so much (IMO)better Than my nexus 7.

I know I'll get bashed for the android commentary!

In search of video bliss...
post #4888 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

There are some tips on HDMI handshake issues in the Denon XX12 thread over in the receiver section. Start reading from here if you haven't already seen or read this.

Thanks Sammy2, I have perused some of the forums, even a Gefen detective didn't help my audio issues. I would really like to keep the HTPC in the HT, I kind of like it. Plus it helps out with playing ripped content as thats where most of it is played anyway. And that would put less focus on the Echo as an extender.

post #4889 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

... I know I'll get bashed for the android commentary!

Let me be the first ... just kidding. It actually depends on who made the tablet. My Asus tablet is better then my original iPad. My wifes Acer is not. I think the Nexus tablet is pretty close to the iPad one (except for size), but not the two.

post #4890 of 7721 Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Sammy2, I have perused some of the forums, even a Gefen detective didn't help my audio issues. I would really like to keep the HTPC in the HT, I kind of like it. Plus it helps out with playing ripped content as thats where most of it is played anyway. And that would put less focus on the Echo as an extender.

I just have my HTPC on all the time and use a startup sequence with my Harmony that solves this issue.

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page