Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker View Post

I signed up for both betas: apps & extender

Me too!

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 7721 Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by werd View Post

http://cetoncorp.com/ceton-beta-registration/

Go go go!

Pretty please with sugar on top? This would be sweet!
post #483 of 7721 Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 PM

Does anyone know what ceton companion app is? Is that like the phone apps? Or something within WMC?
post #484 of 7721 Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I jumped in on this before 10:00 AM PST. I'll pay for a few units to beta in my home if they'll except someone with 6 tuner Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Prime. Heck, even if they would make me purchase a Ceton InfiniTV USB 4, I'd do it. I am so ready to remove Xbox 360s from the equation.
post #485 of 7721 Old 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

I jumped in on this before 10:00 AM PST. I'll pay for a few units to beta in my home if they'll except someone with 6 tuner Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Prime. Heck, even if they would make me purchase a Ceton InfiniTV USB 4, I'd do it. I am so ready to remove Xbox 360s from the equation.

Thought crossed my mind with my 2650

Another thing that will be interesting to see is if the beta is paid for the extender, is if there will be any sticker shock. With lots of people expecting competitiveness with 360, it would suck to see BAM, $600 to play or something.
post #486 of 7721 Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post

Another thing that will be interesting to see is if the beta is paid for the extender, is if there will be any sticker shock. With lots of people expecting competitiveness with 360, it would suck to see BAM, $600 to play or something.

I'd be surprised if there isn't an option to opt out of the extender as they're sure to have more applicants than they have beta units available.
post #487 of 7721 Old 05-01-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post

Thought crossed my mind with my 2650

Right on the registration page when you choose which beta program you are interested in: Ceton Extender for Windows Media Center (Paid Beta, payment processed when extender is shipped, no commitment needed)

-Shark2k
post #488 of 7721 Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 AM

The product page for the Echo mentions a "wireless keyboard" as an optional add-in. I'm sure it will come with a remote for its primary input. Anyone know if it will support non-Ceton wireless keyboards? I have a Logitech K400 for my HTPC now that is small, functional, and has great range. I'd like to be able to use it when the Echo is released. I'm afraid an "add-in" keyboard will be > $50. Hard to utilize the web browsing functionality w/out one.
post #489 of 7721 Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 AM

From the greenbutton

Quote:

Ceton Companion App & Beta!
As a Windows Media Center user, have you ever wanted to be able to use your mobile phone or tablet to browse your TV program guide, change channels, set a recording or even control which TV set you want a show to be played on? If so, then you're going to enjoy our new Ceton Companion App. And we have a free Ceton Companion App beta coming up that we think you'll really like as well!

The Ceton Companion App offers some very cool new features that bring your Ceton experience to the most popular mobile and tablet platforms:
Works with all Windows 7 Media Center PCs - no new hardware required!
For U.S. cable TV programming: works with any Ceton InfiniTV device, which you probably already own!
Browse the Program Guide, change channels and set recordings on your mobile phone or tablet
Control playback of video/music/photo content, including recordings, on multiple devices
Browse all your Media Center libraries from afar: Videos, DVR, Recordings, Music, Photos, Movies
Access tons of info for movies and TV show: program description and synopsis, series information, actors and cover art, movie ratings, year produced, director, and much more
Automatically receive new series and movie premier information and never again miss that first episode of a new TV series
Play new movie trailers on your phone or tablet
Universal Search for movies and TV shows: search TV listings and movies all with one function
Integrates TV listings with movies to let you know where and when the content is available, whether it's already recorded on your DVR or playing on HBO next Thursday
Manage and schedule recordings from anywhere: browse, delete, set up new recordings and series recordings
Supports multiple mobile platforms: iPhone (iOS 4.1+, iPad in early Q3), Android (v2.2+), Win 7 Phone (Mango)
Juicy Details on the Beta
By now you might have heard about our soon-to-be released Ceton Companion App Beta Program for Windows 7 Media Center PCs. If not, check out the articles at the links above. There are a few things we want to point out right up front:
First of all, if you're selected, participation in the beta is FREE nada, zip, zero, nothing, gratis. We have great customers and we know your input can help us make the best mobile application for TV EVER!
Second, we really want your feedback. What do you love? What do you love less? What do you think is missing? What's there but not needed? This is a great opportunity for you to help influence the final feature set for Ceton Companion App!
Third, the mobile platforms supported in the beta are: Android (including Kindle Fire), iOS for iPhone (iPad in early Q3 release) and Windows Phone 7.
Fourth, on our beta signup page you'll also have the opportunity to apply to be included in the beta for the Ceton extender for Windows Media Center that's planned for a bit later. Stay tuned for more on that!
We'll be sending out surveys each week to get your feedback on how we can make this the best TV Companion App EVER!!!

So hurry to the Ceton website and signup for a chance to be included in the Ceton Companion App Beta Program today!
If selected, you'll receive an email with instructions on how to download the Ceton mobile App for all platforms on May 25th.

post #490 of 7721 Old 05-02-2012, 03:37 PM

Liked: 15
Hey everyone it is James from Ceton. if you have any questions I will be checking in. I will go back a few pages and see what I can answer.

I am developing the Ceton Companion Apps & managing the beta so I can be pretty helpful there.

Software Developer on My Media Center -> Ceton Corp.

post #491 of 7721 Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werd View Post

Does anyone know what ceton companion app is? Is that like the phone apps? Or something within WMC?

The blog post outlines the features in the beta. When we originally showed the companion apps off at CES they were Q specific, however now we opened them up and will work with any Windows 7 Media Center HTPC.

post #492 of 7721 Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Will we be getting more details about the features of the Echo (streaming services, MKV, HD audio, etc.) before July 15?
post #493 of 7721 Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

Will we be getting more details about the features of the Echo (streaming services, MKV, HD audio, etc.) before July 15?

Yep over the next few weeks expect to hear some more announcements as we finalize details on things. So just hang in there.

post #494 of 7721 Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Liked: 11
I assume there is some sort of server software that runs on the htpc. Will this be open to 3rd party apps? Say for a home automation application.
post #495 of 7721 Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motz2k1 View Post

Yep over the next few weeks expect to hear some more announcements as we finalize details on things. So just hang in there.

I am starting to get really excited for this product I cant wait. I hope I get to be apart of the beta
post #496 of 7721 Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by potts.mike View Post

I assume there is some sort of server software that runs on the htpc. Will this be open to 3rd party apps? Say for a home automation application.

I am going to assume that Ceton will rely on the same principle as the official Microsoft Media Center Extenders and XBOX, which is to create remote sessions from the extender. I, once again, assume that this is the only way to get by the Copyright controls, since the play back is indeed done on the PC it was originally recorded on.

I am sure there are a number of home automation servers that you may be able to run in conjunction with Windows media center, but independent of it.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #497 of 7721 Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Hey motz, do you guys plan on announcing what 3rd party apps you will have?

ie netflix, hulu+, mlb.tv etc? And would things like that be what the companion app includes as well? Or is that something echo specific?
post #498 of 7721 Old 05-02-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by motz2k1 View Post

What I'm really wondering is if there's a difference in media support on the Echo between a Q server and a "vanilla" 7MC machine. At the risk of repeating myself one time too often (but for your benefit if you haven't followed along), I'm a long time SageTV user. I use Sage for all my media (except for music), TV, DVDs, Blu-rays, and some BD/DVDs converted to MKV (generally TV rips).

With the "demise" of SageTV post Google purchase I've been looking for a solution. WMC has (from my perspective) always been the DVR that's closest to SageTV's functionality, but the problem has been there's been no good way to extend that to other TVs.

So I'm really looking forward to the Echo, assuming it can replicate SageTV's extender capabilities, namely to play DVDs (folders), Blu-rays (folders), and MKVs, at least with HD audio, and menus would be sweet.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #499 of 7721 Old 05-02-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I am going to assume that Ceton will rely on the same principle as the official Microsoft Media Center Extenders and XBOX, which is to create remote sessions from the extender. I, once again, assume that this is the only way to get by the Copyright controls, since the play back is indeed done on the PC it was originally recorded on.

I am sure there are a number of home automation servers that you may be able to run in conjunction with Windows media center, but independent of it.

I guess I wasn't clear, I meant to allow a HA program to control the Q/extender similar to how the official companion apps can.
post #500 of 7721 Old 05-03-2012, 07:19 AM

Hi James - I just have one suggestion; please pick me for the beta!

XOXOXO - John
post #501 of 7721 Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 AM

+1
post #502 of 7721 Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
+1 Here too....
post #503 of 7721 Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:

There is a Ceton Service that will be installed to use the apps, as of right now we haven't made any announcements as to if we are going to make an open api or development program. However feel free to drop me a line to discuss perhaps something you are interested in using special apps for.

post #504 of 7721 Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I guess I wasn't clear, I meant to allow a HA program to control the Q/extender similar to how the official companion apps can.

I think what you are asking is if for instance you can be on the companion app and browse for a recording and then say hey play this on my ceton extender upstairs.... this will be a feature in the release of the companion app.

post #505 of 7721 Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM

I would be interested if you can get what is currently playing at each MCE/Echo location.
post #506 of 7721 Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Like many, I'm very excited about the Ceton Q/Echo. That being said, I'm also concerned that Microsoft is weening itself away from WMC as it is not included in Windows 8 but rather only available as a purchased upgrade. I'm wondering how this might affect the useable lifespan of the Q/Echo if MS decides to drop support since guide updates are integrated with MS...

Any thoughts?
post #507 of 7721 Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post

Like many, I'm very excited about the Ceton Q/Echo. That being said, I'm also concerned that Microsoft is weening itself away from WMC as it is not included in Windows 8 but rather only available as a purchased upgrade. I'm wondering how this might affect the useable lifespan of the Q/Echo if MS decides to drop support since guide updates are integrated with MS...

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't be so concerned my guess is your looking at minimum 10 years before we have to cross that bridge.

-RobNY
post #508 of 7721 Old 05-07-2012, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNY View Post

I wouldn't be so concerned my guess is your looking at minimum 10 years before we have to cross that bridge.

-RobNY

While you may be quite right, many would like to hear from Ceton. After the Sage T.V.-Google situation, many people will be looking for some kind of assurance regarding the guide data, software support, etc. when investing in a whole home WMC solution.
post #509 of 7721 Old 05-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haba View Post

While you may be quite right, many would like to hear from Ceton. After the Sage T.V.-Google situation, many people will be looking for some kind of assurance regarding the guide data, software support, etc. when investing in a whole home WMC solution.

Well said...
post #510 of 7721 Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haba View Post

+1 My hope would be that if MS decides to kill support perhaps someone like Ceton could take over the project. Wishful thinking I'm sure!
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page