post #5311 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I switched the cabling around last night. I now have HDMI running from the Echo to the AVR and HDMI from AVR to TV. This morning the Echo froze while playing live TV. The Echo wouldn't respond to any remote commands except for the power button. I haven't had the audio glitch return yet but it sometimes goes a few days without any trouble.

So you were able to get it to come back to life? If now, you may need to do a full factory restore.

It seems that you did get it to come back to life because you are saying that the audio is working fine now. You should try going HDMI from the echo to the TV and then going from TOSLink from the echo to the AVR directly and setting the Audio to TOSLink in the echo to see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

Since everyone else seems to be using this thread as a vehicle to share experiences, I'll share mine too.

My 1st Gen 360 just got the Red Ring of Death again (2nd time). Not sure if it's been more or less than 3 years since the last time, but I'm not optimistic that it'll matter. So I'm probably in the market for another extender, and will likely purchase another echo.

Bummer.
Quote:

Yes, MediaBrowser/MKV support is lacking, but it is on 360 as well. I have MediaBrowser, but don't really use it. This is a low priority to me.

MediaBrowser works just fine and so do mkv's that aren't VBR or HBR. ceton is working on that.
Quote:

It plays LiveTV and Recordings just fine. I don't play music in the bedroom, so before I buy, I will test that. Otherwise, the only complaints/obstacles to me going with Echo over 360 is:
A) Netflix support (360 does HBO Go as well, but hardly anything else does... I don't expect Ceton to support that (although that would be awesome!), but Netflix, eventually, and sooner rather than later, is a must for me if it is to properly replace 360)

B) The remote is a "value" issue. People have been quick to point out how Xbox Live fees are part of using Netflix on 360, but there's a poor value proposition here as well if you have to drop additional $$$ on a Harmony to get it to work. Now, for my Living Room/Basement applications, this isn't a big deal, as I want (and already own) Harmony's. But I did not want that kind of expense for my bedroom, and am stuck with that now.

A) With the 360, you have to pay for netflix and Xbox Live. If you game on-line with the Xbox this doesn't matter because you are already paying for Xbox Live. I don't game, nor use netflix because I hate the quality of product for the price it costs. Upcoming android on the echo may allow you to stream netflix, though.

B) MCE remotes control the echo. I use a Rosewill 11001 from newegg with it just fine. I picked it up on shell shocker for $9. HDMI-CEC is coming so if your device supports it the echo will control the volume too.
Quote:

Anyone had success using the Ceton app as a remote? With RemotePotato, I don't have much use for remote recordings scheduler, but a $5 echo remote would save me some $$$. Do we still need to install "My Media Center Services" on the HTPC if the only functionality we are looking for is Echo control?

The My Media Center smartphone app controls the echo just fine for native WMC things. It doesn't control MediaBrowser. I don't have RemotePotato so I don't know if it supports MediaBrowser either but if you have your movies in the standard WMC library the My Media Center app sees them and you can launch them on the HTPC or the echo. To stream from your library you can use PLEX. Who knows, ceton may support this some day in My Media Center. You do need to install the services on the HTPC and it will see both the HTPC and any echos associated with that HTPC.
Quote:

As for Ceton, my experiences with their support staff have been nothing less than A+++. I had a problem with my Comcast CableCard, 100% a Comcast issue, not Ceton, but Ceton took on my problem as if it were there own, worked with Comcast on my behalf, and fixed Comcast's problem for them/me. In the world we live in, support like this is rare, IMO. If Ceton says they're going to address something, personally, I believe them. JMO.

I am pretty impressed with their support myself.

post #5313 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

So here are my observations thus far....

(122 firmware)

Mediabrowser works great with two minor exceptions... the "preview" window showing live TV isn't cropped/scaled properly when displayed and when the text is scrolling in a movie description it doesn't scroll very smoothly. Other than that I've had no trouble with Mediabrowser.

This has been an issue since beta release. It is on the to-do list. Getting other things fixed are of higher priority but it'll be fixed eventually I am sure of it.
Quote:

Ripped movie playback is still dodgy. I'm still having problems with stuttering/freezing with H.264/AC-3 encoded MP4/MKV MT2S files. Lower bitrate encodes seem to play fine if everything is encoded "properly" (no VFR in handbrake and 8 or fewer reference frames) but I'm holding out hope that they'll be able to get things ironed out with the VFR flag. Higher bitrate files typically freeze within a few minutes of starting.

I agree with this. Again getting Live/Recorded TV had to come first because that is the primary use of an extender. If you didn't care about that you'd probably have just got a streamer I think.
Quote:

It's still not very stable. I typically go to sleep with the TV on (usually on Live TV) and as often as not when I wake up, I'm back at the WMC home screen as if the unit rebooted sometime during the night. I've actually encountered a reboot while awake on more than one occasion too.

I can't get any of the startup settings in the echo plugin to apply. The Live TV startup option worked on the first revision of the firmware after the plugin was released, but after that I've yet to get either of my echos to go straight to Live TV.

I had this problem in the 2013.116 f/w but it doesn't do this anymore. I did pick up a shut-down ERROR in my HTPC's event logs for the echo but if I didn't look at the logs I would not have noticed it because it was in the middle of the night. It was about 15 minutes in the log before the echo showed up as connected again. As far as I can tell by looking at my logs, this happened once. If it happened while I was watching I would report that as a "freeze" too. My HTPC reboots itself every morning at 3:30 and the echo reconnects just fine from what I can tell. I've been on 2013.122 since Wednesday and every time I've turned on the AVR and TV it on the echo is working and on LiveTV.
Quote:

Last time I tried my echo in the den, AC3 bitstreaming was completely broken. My receiver always detected the audio as PCM (whether using optical or HDMI) which just resulted in horrifically loud clicking from my speakers anytime the echo attempted to send AC3 audio.

This was broken for me in 2013.116 but is working fine now. What is your AVR and TV combo and how are they hooked up?
Quote:

Despite all of those issues, I've actiaully been fairly pleased with the units so far and I'm still optimistic that the rest of the issues will get fixed.

It is getting better all the time. I'm positive that it will be a good product given time.

post #5314 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

So you were able to get it to come back to life? If now, you may need to do a full factory restore.

It seems that you did get it to come back to life because you are saying that the audio is working fine now. You should try going HDMI from the echo to the TV and then going from TOSLink from the echo to the AVR directly and setting the Audio to TOSLink in the echo to see what happens.

I got it going again. I had to turn it off and back on. I'm going to leave it on HDMI for a while before switching the audio to optical cable from the Echo to AVR.
post #5315 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So do you guys think Ceton will let us choose the FF / RW and what we see? I find the current way is a little hard to see... The window is too small and it is easy to over-run the commercials.

WAF took a step backwards on this one... eek.gif
post #5316 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

It isn't a matter of choice, per se. Full screen preview was working on the previous f/w and it'll be working again on the next one.

post #5317 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

I see the 4GB Xbox is $149.99 at Best Buy (after deducting a $50 gift card). Any reason I shouldn't get one of these and shelve the Echo for now?

I couldn't find one, I keep trying to find a reason to plug it in. Everytime I do it's a little better, but still not anywhere near the 360.

post #5318 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

[snip] Anyone had success using the Ceton app as a remote? With RemotePotato, I don't have much use for remote recordings scheduler, but a $5 echo remote would save me some $$$. Do we still need to install "My Media Center Services" on the HTPC if the only functionality we are looking for is Echo control? [snip]
I've found the Ceton app to work better as a remote control, because the Echo is less sensitive to IR signals than any of my other components.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #5319 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post

I've found the Ceton app to work better as a remote control, because the Echo is less sensitive to IR signals than any of my other components.

I think the Ceton app works great, it's well worth the few dollars they charge. It works with any extender. I only wish I didn't have to buy it twice, iPad and Android.

Motz, the Check should be an "OK" though.

post #5320 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

I couldn't find one, I keep trying to find a reason to plug it in. Everytime I do it's a little better, but still not anywhere near the 360.

Ceton has had this hardware for at least 4 months now and it's "still not anywhere near the 360", deeply disappointing.
post #5321 of 7721 Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well, I'm throwing in the towel. I wanted the Echo to be a solid solution to ditching my cable boxes, but there is just no way. The audio skipping, bad de-interlacing and the latest update killed FFW/REW preview. My return window is up this week so it's going back. I can get a Xbox 360 for the same or less money. If the Echo was a sub $100 item I might stick it out. Instead, I'll watch from the outside to see what happens with it.

Now, Ceton support has been solid and I have no issue with them. I sincerely want the Echo to be all it can be, but I just can't deploy it in my household for the wife & kids in its current state. I'll still follow this thread to watch its development and may certainly revisit the product once it matures.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #5322 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Well, I'm throwing in the towel. I wanted the Echo to be a solid solution to ditching my cable boxes, but there is just no way. The audio skipping, bad de-interlacing and the latest update killed FFW/REW preview. My return window is up this week so it's going back. I can get a Xbox 360 for the same or less money. If the Echo was a sub $100 item I might stick it out. Instead, I'll watch from the outside to see what happens with it.

Now, Ceton support has been solid and I have no issue with them. I sincerely want the Echo to be all it can be, but I just can't deploy it in my household for the wife & kids in its current state. I'll still follow this thread to watch its development and may certainly revisit the product once it matures.

There earliest anybody's "return window" ends is Feb 26, 2013:

http://cetoncorp.com/blog/extended-return-and-warranty-programs-for-ceton-echo/

post #5323 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

There earliest anybody's "return window" ends is Feb 26, 2013:

http://cetoncorp.com/blog/extended-return-and-warranty-programs-for-ceton-echo/

Amazon is telling me Feb 4th (Only 30 days with them). I had planned on keeping my Infini4 PCIe card.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #5324 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

It should be 90 days from the date of purchase through ceton. If you look at the product page it says "Sold be ceton and fulfilled by amazon. You should be able to return it directly to ceton but if I were you, I'd contact ceton directly to verify your return date and also wait until the end of your 90 day return period but that's just me.

post #5325 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:

It isn't a matter of choice, per se. Full screen preview was working on the previous f/w and it'll be working again on the next one.

Good to know! While I like the feature, the window should be larger... Hard for my old eyes to see!

Full screen is just better for me.
post #5326 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 05:43 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Well, I'm throwing in the towel. I wanted the Echo to be a solid solution to ditching my cable boxes, but there is just no way.

Not me, just bought another for the bedroom per the wife's instructions. tongue.gif
post #5327 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 06:07 AM

Is anyone noticing that when you skip forward or backwards while watching Recorded TV there is a cutout of audio for about 1-2 seconds? The video is playing but audio doesn't start immediately.

I am running latest beta (122) and my setup is Echo ---> Panasonic Viera TC-P50S2 over HDMI with output set to 1080P and bitstreaming off.
post #5328 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should try going HDMI from the echo to the TV and then going from TOSLink from the echo to the AVR directly and setting the Audio to TOSLink in the echo to see what happens.
I tried HDMI from the Echo to the TV with optical to the AVR and didn't have any trouble. I switched it back to HDMI from Echo to TV with optical from TV to AVR and the intermittent audio skipping returned. I discovered if I turn the TV off then back on again the skipping goes away.

I've decided to leave it with HDMI from the Echo to the TV and optical from the Echo to the AVR. I'm done changing the cabling. Every time I do that I have to reprogram my Harmony.
post #5329 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingCrown View Post

Is anyone noticing that when you skip forward or backwards while watching Recorded TV there is a cutout of audio for about 1-2 seconds? The video is playing but audio doesn't start immediately.

I am running latest beta (122) and my setup is Echo ---> Panasonic Viera TC-P50S2 over HDMI with output set to 1080P and bitstreaming off.

I've noticed that with audio over HDMI. The audio returns much quicker with optical.
post #5330 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you timed this? One to two seconds is a long time actually. I notice a delay but it is miliseconds, not one, and definitely not two, seconds.

post #5331 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried HDMI from the Echo to the TV with optical to the AVR and didn't have any trouble. I switched it back to HDMI from Echo to TV with optical from TV to AVR and the intermittent audio skipping returned. I discovered if I turn the TV off then back on again the skipping goes away.

I've decided to leave it with HDMI from the Echo to the TV and optical from the Echo to the AVR. I'm done changing the cabling. Every time I do that I have to reprogram my Harmony.

How's that set up working?

BTW, I still haven't programmed my Harmony for the echo. I just manually switch the AVR to the input for the echo and unplug the IR reciever for my HTPC so it doesn't get rogue remote commands.

post #5332 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Yes: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4298&sid=77968bca8944658b95852a51cf346dd4
post #5333 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 AM

Sammy, i didnt time it but i can tonight.

crbaldwin, glad i'm not the only one seeing this. Its more of an annoyance and not a show stopper. I'm sure it'll get fixed soon

I can try optical, but i'd rather just keep the 1 cable and use HDMI. I'll give it a shot and see if it helps.

A separate question, what should the display setup be? I assumed since i have a 1080P display that's what i should set it to. What (if any) are the advantages to setting it up as Native?
post #5334 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How's that set up working?

BTW, I still haven't programmed my Harmony for the echo. I just manually switch the AVR to the input for the echo and unplug the IR reciever for my HTPC so it doesn't get rogue remote commands.

It's working OK that way but when the Echo audio is set to optical it no longer sends audio over HDMI. When watching TV late at night I sometimes just use the TV speakers and leave the AVR turned off.
post #5335 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's working OK that way but when the Echo audio is set to optical it no longer sends audio over HDMI. When watching TV late at night I sometimes just use the TV speakers and leave the AVR turned off.

Does your AVR have a "Night" mode?

post #5336 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sammy, i didnt time it but i can tonight.

crbaldwin, glad i'm not the only one seeing this. Its more of an annoyance and not a show stopper. I'm sure it'll get fixed soon

I can try optical, but i'd rather just keep the 1 cable and use HDMI. I'll give it a shot and see if it helps.

A separate question, what should the display setup be? I assumed since i have a 1080P display that's what i should set it to. What (if any) are the advantages to setting it up as Native?

If you use "Native" the echo will change the output to be what the input is except for interlaced content which it de-interlaces and sends it out at the same resolution, IE: if ithe input is 720p it outputs 720p but if the input is 1080i it outputs 1080p. I have used both but using "Native" is slower when going from one resolution to the other I think. My HTPC is set to 1080p to match my TV and I think I'll go with that on the echo too as IMHO the echo de-interlaces well.

(Flame away!)

post #5337 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

It should be 90 days from the date of purchase through ceton. If you look at the product page it says "Sold be ceton and fulfilled by amazon. You should be able to return it directly to ceton but if I were you, I'd contact ceton directly to verify your return date and also wait until the end of your 90 day return period but that's just me.

You missed this part of the page on the extended return window:

To help make you as confident in the Echo as we are, today we’re announcing special extended warranty and return policies for all Ceton Echo purchases made before January 1, 2013.

So for those of use that bought them after Jan 1 (like I did on Jan 11th), we only have 30 days through Amazon. So if he bought it on Jan 5th, he would only have till Feb 4th.

Andrew

post #5338 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Amazon is telling me Feb 4th (Only 30 days with them).
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetoncorp.com View Post

special extended warranty and return policies for all Ceton Echo purchases made before January 1, 2013.

Returns: You may return your Ceton Echo within 90 days of the date of original purchase for a refund if you’re not satisfied. This is a 60-day extension to the standard 30-day return policy. For people who participated in the beta program, your purchase date will be November 26th, when the Echo launched, and not the earlier date you actually purchased the Echo beta. This means that everyone will have until February 26

If you didn't purchase before 1/1 (this appears like it may have been purchased around 1/5) you may not have an extended return policy though it would have been nice to extend those purchases made in January to at least the 2/26 date to allow for some bug fixes to come out. Since its "sold by ceton" they might be able to make an exception but other sellers may not be.
post #5339 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry. I didn't put all that together. It was early when I posted that. Thanks sportwagon and signcarver. Also, AFAIK, ceton is the only seller of the echo on amazon but I could be wrong.

It would seem it would be in ceton's interest to extend the return period to at least February 26 for anyone who bought the echo in January.

post #5340 of 7721 Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does your AVR have a "Night" mode?
Yes, but it doesn't seem to make much difference when the volume is turned down low. I'll just have to deal with it.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page