gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

There are three actaully, the main IR repeater and two smaller IR repeaters that can be isolated to a piece of equipment. I have not bothered to do this with mh H-900 because I haven't had to.
I think you may have missed my point.

I'm not completely ignorant of the Harmony line as I had actually setup a Harmony 900 for my parents a few years ago, but they ran into problems with it (it locked up at irregular intervals, which required removing the battery to reboot the remote each time, which killed the MAF (mom acceptance factor)) and I ended up replacing it with some spare Crestron gear I had around and they haven't had a single issue since. And I know that the RF to IR repeater comes with additional mini IR emitters that connect to the main blaster and can be moved near other equipment in the cabinet that the main blaster can't reach. But the main blaster is the piece that contains the RF receiver, the mini blasters are just IR blasters that get their signals from the main blaster.

But my point was that I wasn't not sure if the "IR blaster" as it is referred to on the Harmony site gets paired to the remote it's used with such that it will ignore commands from other Harmony remotes that it hasn't been paired with. If this pairing happens, then using 2 RF Harmony remotes in the same house won't be a problem as the blaster will ignore commands from any remotes it isn't paired with. If there is no such pairing, then that would be an extremely stupid design choice by the Harmony designers. It should be obvious that if the product has a (claimed, up to) 100 foot range there's lots of potential for people living in houses that are close together or apartment buildings to run into conflicts where they end up controlling each others' equipment.

I just did some searching and found that the IR blaster is, indeed, paired to a single remote at any given time. So if 2 RF Harmony remotes are used in the same home, they shouldn't interfere with each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

That is an IR remote (I have one and an H-900 too). Read above about issues with stray IR signals. You may want to look at this specific post on TGB.

Thanks! That TGB cite looks very interesting and helpful and could solve the issue for me if I run into it. Much obliged! Separately, I have an Ortek WMC remote I tried to use on the Echo (using its usb dongle) after I got the Echo in October and that failed (Someone told me wrong protocol). Does changing to one of the alternate codes solve that issue by any chance? Probably not, right?
post #5493 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post

Thanks! That TGB cite looks very interesting and helpful and could solve the issue for me if I run into it. Much obliged! Separately, I have an Ortek WMC remote I tried to use on the Echo (using its usb dongle) after I got the Echo in October and that failed (Someone told me wrong protocol). Does changing to one of the alternate codes solve that issue by any chance? Probably not, right?
The problem is that the USB dongle isn't compatible. Switching code sets won't fix that.
post #5494 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is anyone else having issues with lockups?

The past two FW release have caused freezes on live tv, fora few seconds and then back to normal for a little while then freeze etc.
I am also still getting random reboots, both during playback and just sitting.

post #5495 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

My bad. The unit is an 880 and I appreciate your inputs all. I guess if I am having no conflicts now and just copy the echo commands into it (as learned or raw) I should not have a conflict after I do that, right? I mean, I will try using s standard command set first of course....

I use a Harmony 880 at home, including on the Echo, with no issues (well, I used to...I seem to have misplaced it, and for the life of me can't find it, so I may be buying a new Harmony soon)

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #5496 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Did you simply program the 880 with the Echo (2" away using raw or learned commands)? Did you look inside the sofa, down behind the cushions?
post #5497 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Is anyone else having issues with lockups?

The past two FW release have caused freezes on live tv, fora few seconds and then back to normal for a little while then freeze etc.
I am also still getting random reboots, both during playback and just sitting.

I did notice this last night but it was very brief. I'm not sure if it is my HDHR Prime or maybe even the signal from Charter but I haven't noticed on my HTPC which probably points to the echo.

post #5498 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Did you simply program the 880 with the Echo (2" away using raw or learned commands)? Did you look inside the sofa, down behind the cushions?

I just used the Microsoft/WMC PC profile with Echo (Logitech has been useless about getting Echo added). I've been all through the couch, and everywhere I can think of, with still no luck. It has to be in the house, but damned if I know where.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #5499 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

I just used the Microsoft/WMC PC profile with Echo (Logitech has been useless about getting Echo added). I've been all through the couch, and everywhere I can think of, with still no luck. It has to be in the house, but damned if I know where.

Couch cushions = find remote or = take found money and buy new remote :P
post #5500 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Be sure to interrogate your pets. We once had a Siamese cat that took my aunt's wallet out of her handbag. She was two hours away at a Mass Pike gas station when she discovered the problem! Another time he took a watch up a floor and hid it.
post #5501 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:

I use a Harmony 880 at home, including on the Echo, with no issues (well, I used to...I seem to have misplaced it, and for the life of me can't find it, so I may be buying a new Harmony soon)
I lost a remote once. I found it several days later in the freezer. Cocktails were involved.
post #5502 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

Couch cushions = find remote or = take found money and buy new remote :P

Quote:

Be sure to interrogate your pets. We once had a Siamese cat that took my aunt's wallet out of her handbag. She was two hours away at a Mass Pike gas station when she discovered the problem! Another time he took a watch up a floor and hid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I lost a remote once. I found it several days later in the freezer. Cocktails were involved.

All these comments are rich. Who needs ComedyCentral when you have avsforums!

post #5503 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Did you open a support ticket with us? Please PM me your ticket number. TWC does most certainly support CableCARD. We have thousands and thousands of customers using the InfiniTV on TWC, including myself

I can't speak for TWC users, but I can confirm what Eric says here. I had CableCard problems with Comcast, it had nothing to do with Ceton infiniTV hardware/software, yet Ceton reached out to Comcast and worked with them on my behalf to resolve the issue and get me back up and running.

If you're having a problem, contact Ceton. They'll do everything they can to try to help you.
post #5504 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM

Liked: 10
I am currently investigating a "Missing Remote Case" in my house as well. My AV remote has gone missing and the kids have no idea where it could have gone. Remotes are great but the are a PITA to keep track of. wink.gif
post #5505 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

I can't speak for TWC users, but I can confirm what Eric says here. I had CableCard problems with Comcast, it had nothing to do with Ceton infiniTV hardware/software, yet Ceton reached out to Comcast and worked with them on my behalf to resolve the issue and get me back up and running.

If you're having a problem, contact Ceton. They'll do everything they can to try to help you.

I second that. I had stability issues with my Inf4 USB version, they hung with me to get it right, then my (new) SSD died and I had to start all over again...but they were prompt in helping out again and never let a day pass without coming back. And now that unit is great....and worth the effort.
post #5506 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulink View Post

I am currently investigating a "Missing Remote Case" in my house as well. My AV remote has gone missing and the kids have no idea where it could have gone. Remotes are great but the are a PITA to keep track of. wink.gif

That is why I use JP1 remotes. Fully programmable and $12. I have 3 in my family room, 2 in my HT and a drawer full in my office.

xnappo
post #5507 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

That is why I use JP1 remotes. Fully programmable and $12. I have 3 in my family room, 2 in my HT and a drawer full in my office.

xnappo

You REALLY don't want to have to get up to get the remote.
post #5508 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I think you may have missed my point.

I'm not completely ignorant of the Harmony line as I had actually setup a Harmony 900 for my parents a few years ago, but they ran into problems with it (it locked up at irregular intervals, which required removing the battery to reboot the remote each time, which killed the MAF (mom acceptance factor)) and I ended up replacing it with some spare Crestron gear I had around and they haven't had a single issue since. And I know that the RF to IR repeater comes with additional mini IR emitters that connect to the main blaster and can be moved near other equipment in the cabinet that the main blaster can't reach. But the main blaster is the piece that contains the RF receiver, the mini blasters are just IR blasters that get their signals from the main blaster.

But my point was that I wasn't not sure if the "IR blaster" as it is referred to on the Harmony site gets paired to the remote it's used with such that it will ignore commands from other Harmony remotes that it hasn't been paired with. If this pairing happens, then using 2 RF Harmony remotes in the same house won't be a problem as the blaster will ignore commands from any remotes it isn't paired with. If there is no such pairing, then that would be an extremely stupid design choice by the Harmony designers. It should be obvious that if the product has a (claimed, up to) 100 foot range there's lots of potential for people living in houses that are close together or apartment buildings to run into conflicts where they end up controlling each others' equipment.

I just did some searching and found that the IR blaster is, indeed, paired to a single remote at any given time. So if 2 RF Harmony remotes are used in the same home, they shouldn't interfere with each other.

Yes I did. Thanks for the clarification.

My H-900 does that occassionally but not often, usually when coming off the cradle. Other that that I love it.

post #5509 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

xnappo

Pull one out of the drawer and mail it to me.

post #5510 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1hopper View Post

You REALLY don't want to have to get up to get the remote.

Not only that, it probably makes fighting over what's on quite interesting.

post #5511 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Not only that, it probably makes fighting over what's on quite interesting.

I have a 3-minute skip programmed, and it can be quite annoying when my wife and I both press it smile.gif

They ain't as pretty as Harmonys but they are durable, dirt-cheap and FULLY programmable. More info at www.hifi-remote.com/forums

xnappo
post #5512 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:

I have a 3-minute skip programmed, and it can be quite annoying when my wife and I both press it smile.gif

The ain't as pretty as Harmony's but they are durable, dirt-cheap and FULLY programmable. More info at www.hifi-remote.com/forums

xnappo

Program hers to not skip .... that should fix it.
post #5513 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

My H-900 does that occassionally but not often, usually when coming off the cradle. Other that that I love it.
Unfortunately, even once in a while derailed the whole thing for my mom so even though it only happened once in a while, she was constantly complaining that it didn't work properly. The Crestron stuff has far more flexible programming capabilities (as it should given the huge price difference at full retail), so I was able to get things even more foolproof for them and the remote NEVER locks up.
post #5514 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Been there, done that.
post #5515 of 7721 Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 PM

129 beta firmware seems to have some improvements to video quality. Still some shadows being left making some animations look blurry but it seems better than it was before.
post #5516 of 7721 Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 AM

Liked: 12
Day 2 of my new XBox vs. Echo shootout.

On the XBox I started watching a recent episode of Continuum on SyFy when I noticed occasional interlacing combing problems and picture breakup on fast-motion scenes. So I hooked up my netbook which works relatively perfectly playing back under Media Center.

The same glitches appeared!

So apparently not all video problems can be attributed to extenders. Maybe my cable provider isn't allocating much bandwidth to SyFy.

Otherwise, the XBox is still working well.
post #5517 of 7721 Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

Day 2 of my new XBox vs. Echo shootout.

On the XBox I started watching a recent episode of Continuum on SyFy when I noticed occasional interlacing combing problems and picture breakup on fast-motion scenes. So I hooked up my netbook which works relatively perfectly playing back under Media Center.

The same glitches appeared!

So apparently not all video problems can be attributed to extenders. Maybe my cable provider isn't allocating much bandwidth to SyFy.

Otherwise, the XBox is still working well.

Cool but you didn't report on the behavior of the echo in this same scenario. It is an Xbox vs Echo shootout.

I wonder too sometimes if issues I see are the echo, my Prime or even the signal coming from my provider. In testing done recently I am seeing basically the same results on both my HTPC and my echo so it must be the tuner or signal.

post #5518 of 7721 Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I'm seeing the 29/59 bug on my Echo. TBS sitcoms appear to be the worse. Can others chech it out?

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #5519 of 7721 Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't think I see the 29 /59 bug. But I do notice other funky things with TBS. The errors I see are more like signal drops and freezes no audio for a few seconds. This is also noticeable on the htpc. TBS is the only channel that I see this on. It has always been an issue for me.
post #5520 of 7721 Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Liked: 12
Agreed on what looks like the 29/59 bug. About once per second I get a very noticeable stutter. Not TBS here, but I'm definitely seeing it as well on certain channels and recordings. Here, I particularly see it on EncoreHD. The same recordings or live channels, when played back on display via 360 or the HTPC itself, are fine.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page