Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread - Page 187 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5581 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Android probably is their "Hail Mary" update, but we have yet to see how that's going to function. And you know how often Hail Mary attempts work out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 PM
t-c

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

They will.. For me it works well as a multi-room DVR but I really want something more for the price.

It is probably cheaper to sponsor TGB than to have their own forum.

Really, why is it that Ceton can't afford to support their own unified customer support forum like other companies?

Instead, Ceton customers have to navigate multiple forums including AVS, TGB, or their own FAQ or whatever pages to try and get support for their products.
post #5583 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM

Liked: 11
I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue. We updated our Echo to the 1/29 beta and it came up with a setup code as if it had been disassociated with the HTPC. After doing the MCE extender setup, the Echo makes the MCE launch sound as if it's loading, but the screen still shows the blue screen with the code. If it reboot the Echo it will make the MCE launch sound as it it's connecting but it just shows the blue "Connecting" screen. I've tried removing the Echo from the HTPC and re-adding it but it keeps doing the same thing. Is there any way to revert to the previous beta or force it into recovery to go back to stable for now?
post #5584 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Ceton's official forums are on TGB. What's the problem with that?

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2482

post #5585 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compchick813 View Post

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue. We updated our Echo to the 1/29 beta and it came up with a setup code as if it had been disassociated with the HTPC. After doing the MCE extender setup, the Echo makes the MCE launch sound as if it's loading, but the screen still shows the blue screen with the code. If it reboot the Echo it will make the MCE launch sound as it it's connecting but it just shows the blue "Connecting" screen. I've tried removing the Echo from the HTPC and re-adding it but it keeps doing the same thing. Is there any way to revert to the previous beta or force it into recovery to go back to stable for now?

Turn the remote off and do the recovery procedure by typing in the letters representing RECOVERY on the remote. If you type it in wrong hit 0 ten times and try again. Recovery can take up to an hour.

post #5586 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM
t-c

LOL Why are customers posting support questions here then?
post #5587 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM
t-c

Quote:

LOL Why are customers posting support questions here then?
post #5588 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Because this thread exists. I don't presume to know why anybody posts on any particular forum. I post here and there. Same with the SiliconDust forum. I post in the HDHR Prime here and on that forum too but post more here because it exists here.

Ceton actually prefers a support ticket be filed.

post #5589 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 PM
t-c

Quote:

Because this thread exists. I don't presume to know why anybody posts on any particular forum. I post here and there. Same with the SiliconDust forum. I post in the HDHR Prime here and on that forum too but post more here because it exists here.

Ceton actually prefers a support ticket be filed.

Of course because Ceton does not run a central support forum for their customers.

You post your support issues here or on TGB or whereever. Are you suggesting that everyone should just post their support issues here and there and everywhere?
post #5590 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

After deciding to get an XBox and shelve the Echo for the time being, I also got an XBox 360 Media Remote. Nicer-looking than the Ceton remote, it has one incredible omission - a STOP button! I suppose to get a STOP button you should get the XBox 360 Media CENTER remote.

The only apparent workaround I can see is to hit fast forward 4 times until the recorded show reaches the end. So very lame.

Otherwise I haven't had problems with recorded TV playback on the XBox except for bad broadcasts. Maybe I'll test out the wireless capability now...

[Edit after testing wireless operation...]

It seems to work perfectly at a test distance of 15 feet. I couldn't detect any difference in speed compared to a wired connection. (I just unplugged at the router and rebooted the XBox, then entered my router password. Then it decided to do an update and that took quite a while...10 minutes or more.)

Assuming they get the Echo working satisfactorily, I will probably use that downstairs and put the XBox upstairs attached to a new TV. Or just buy another XBox if they have another sale. I should probably hold off to see what miracles the XBox 720 has in store for us.

Unfortunately, it appears you bought one of the new remotes. The older version has many more buttons including the stop button and it's backlit.

Older version is much better click here.
post #5591 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

Of course because Ceton does not run a central support forum for their customers.

You post your support issues here or on TGB or whereever. Are you suggesting that everyone should just post their support issues here and there and everywhere?

I use tickets and email when I need actual support. Forums are just for people to help each other out, not for suppport from ceton. Silicon Dust does the same although they host their own forum. When I was having issues with my HDHR Prime I did a support ticket and email there too even though Silicon Dust has a forum.

post #5592 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I was originally going to post a message saying what does it matter who hosts Ceton's support forum. But then I went to the Ceton support site and couldn't find any link or reference to TGB. I wonder if that's part of the reason TGB's Echo subforum isn't very active.

I don't think it would matter to have TGB host Ceton's user forum, but the forum doesn't do much good without an active community providing user-to-user support. I'm sure many of you are sick of the constant references to SageTV, but their user forum was far more active. I think there's something to t-c's criticism, although I don't fully agree with his specific complaint.
post #5593 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 PM
t-c

Quote:

I use tickets and email when I need actual support. Forums are just for people to help each other out, not for suppport from ceton. Silicon Dust does the same although they host their own forum. When I was having issues with my HDHR Prime I did a support ticket and email there too even though Silicon Dust has a forum.

Silicondust has been directly supporting its customers from its own forums from the first release of the HDHR without support tickets as a requirement. SD engineers are always on the forums helping their customers solve problems.

Ceton doesn't even have a support forum of their own.

Why should a Ceton customer even have to think one second about where or how they should obtain support? is it AVS, TGB, Ceton FAQ, Ceton Ticket?
post #5594 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 PM

The support page is pretty straight forward for the products:
http://cetoncorp.com/product-support/

Echo & InfiniTV sections have links to documents, FAQs, guides, and software for initial help. All official support for the Echo and InfiniTV are handled through the Ticket System.

My Media Center app section also has similar links, however all official support for the apps are handled via TGB.

When we partnered with TGB to have the official MMC support forum there at the same time we created the Sub Section for "Ceton Products". Doing this helped condense all of the talk about the product from multiple forums into nice centralized locations. The Echo and InfiniTV sections are not for support issues as we have big banners on the top of the sections, they are for discussion of the products. The communities such as TGB and AVS are filled with passionate people that like to help each other out which is why we love having everyone be so active.

We participate on Echo and InfiniTV forums on multiple sites because we love the community. If we had our own forum or not people would still post on several different forums and would still want us to participate on each and everyone. We do our best to keep up with AVS and TGB for Echo and InfiniTV. We do this usually in our down time, weekends, lunch breaks, etc. Official support is handled via the ticket system.

I hope clears this up a bit, if you have questions feel free to PM me personally.

Software Developer on My Media Center -> Ceton Corp.

post #5595 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM

Seems like every few days someone turns this into the bash Ceton forum. I just don't see the point. If you hate it (or their support), return it. I would venture to guess the lion's share of us on this forum would like to see this product, and Ceton succeed. Dragging them through the mud doesn't seem to align with the purpose of this thread.

That being said, do you guys remember when this issue was brought up a while ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenethyl View Post

Can a few of you check your C:\Users\Mcx1-USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp folder and see how many ctnecho_xxxx folders are there?

Every single time I boot my Echo up it creates a new folder with the same files in it. There's also a corresponding .cmd script file in the parent folder that appears to be setup to delete the previous folders (but is apparently never successful). As far as I can tell, the folders that are generated are for the settings plugin you can access from the TV. It's pretty annoying because my software firewall treats each instance of the plugin as an unknown executable and consequently asks for permission to access my network. If I'm not at my PC to allow access, I can't bring up the settings from the TV. Plus, I don't want to have to worry about cleaning extraneous files out of that folder all the time.

I'm sure it's just a bug, but I was wondering if others are experiencing it as well.

Has there been any discussion of this on the beta forums, or from Ceton? This to me is a pretty big issue. I have 5 echos, with three that are powered on/off sever times during the day. I keep the system partition of my "server" small so to keep as much space free for recording content. I'm hoping there is a fix for this in the pipeline. I suppose I could script the cleanup and schedule it myself, but I would think there should be a permanent resolution.
post #5596 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgertge View Post

Has there been any discussion of this on the beta forums, or from Ceton? This to me is a pretty big issue. I have 5 echos, with three that are powered on/off sever times during the day. I keep the system partition of my "server" small so to keep as much space free for recording content. I'm hoping there is a fix for this in the pipeline. I suppose I could script the cleanup and schedule it myself, but I would think there should be a permanent resolution.

This has been fixed in the latest beta firmware.

post #5597 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motz2k1 View Post

This has been fixed in the latest beta firmware.

Is this new beta firmware you guys are getting ready to release, or the already released 2013.0129.1538? I have three of my echos on the Beta channel (my most used ones), and have 2013.0129.1538 on them. Just checked my Win7 server, and the files are still being created, but not removed.
post #5598 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:

Is this new beta firmware you guys are getting ready to release, or the already released 2013.0129.1538? I have three of my echos on the Beta channel (my most used ones), and have 2013.0129.1538 on them. Just checked my Win7 server, and the files are still being created, but not removed.

It should be in that one, I will double check when I get to work tomorrow. So when you delete the folders do they come right back?

post #5599 of 7721 Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:

It should be in that one, I will double check when I get to work tomorrow. So when you delete the folders do they come right back?

They go away but then it creates a new set of ctnecho_### folders with content each time the echo is power cycled.
post #5600 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

It seems like Ceton makes some announcement or puts out some upgrade when their backs are against the wall. I have a couple more weeks before the Beta warranty runs out. So, I would expect some movement soon before my return is initiated.

Yup. Now that this thread has heated back up with a bit more negative attention we can expect them to release another "beta firmware" that will calm the masses for another week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgertge 
Seems like every few days someone turns this into the bash Ceton forum. I just don't see the point. If you hate it (or their support), return it. I would venture to guess the lion's share of us on this forum would like to see this product, and Ceton succeed. Dragging them through the mud doesn't seem to align with the purpose of this thread.

Everybody likes a trainwreck...
post #5601 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post

That's not entirely true. They did get TV working well enough that the Echo isn't a complete embarrassment.

I'm still surprised they went forward with the release knowing that playback of interlaced content was horribly broken.

But, like you, I was expecting much more progress by now.

I wish that was the case for me, using the HDHR Prime as a source, there is alot of content which still pauses/freezes the Echo enough that it is not worth watching. Then I also still have infrequent reboots for no apparent reason. Maybe I have a defective unit, not sure. I do agree when Tv does play right it is alot better then two months ago.

I wish I could be more positive about this product, but it just isn't there for me. When four or five year old tech (Xbox, x280n) is better then what is released today, I need to step back and take another look. Especially when the 4GB Slim is basicaly the same price.

post #5602 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

After deciding to get an XBox and shelve the Echo for the time being, I also got an XBox 360 Media Remote. Nicer-looking than the Ceton remote, it has one incredible omission - a STOP button! I suppose to get a STOP button you should get the XBox 360 Media CENTER remote.

Wait until one of the low-end Harmony remotes go on sale... recently the 650 was $40 or grab a close-out on the 300 series.

post #5603 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually it's not there official site, look at the disclaimer at the top of the page:

"Important Information

While Ceton employees may participate in the InfiniTV forum, official support is still handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Please click Submit Ceton Echo Support Ticket for official support."

If it were their official site it would not say that ...

post #5604 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Do you have a point or are you just looking for things to complain about? It's not exactly uncommon for a small company to have their forum discussion hosted somewhere other than on their servers. What IS uncommon is for employees of a company to make themselves as available as several Ceton employees make themselves. Why someone would complain about this is quite honestly beyond comprehension. If you have an actual support question, submit a ticket in Ceton's ticket system. If you want more general discussion, post either here or on Ceton's TGB forums - since people (including Ceton employees) post both here and there, you're bound to get a response. Is that really so difficult?? rolleyes.gif
post #5605 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Actually it's not there official site, look at the disclaimer at the top of the page:

"Important Information

While Ceton employees may participate in the InfiniTV forum, official support is still handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Please click Submit Ceton Echo Support Ticket for official support."

If it were their official site it would not say that ...

Pretty much splitting hairs on that. On either product when one posts in the forums and gets help from the company's staff it is usually general in nature and for specific support they tell you to open a ticket.

post #5606 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:

They go away but then it creates a new set of ctnecho_### folders with content each time the echo is power cycled.

Just make sure you have the plugin app up to date. I reconfirmed with michael and he said it should be in this latest version.
http://update-echo.cetoncorp.com/get/echo/w7/latest

post #5607 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Pretty much splitting hairs on that. On either product when one posts in the forums and gets help from the company's staff it is usually general in nature and for specific support they tell you to open a ticket.

I just wrote a bit reply about this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386351/official-ceton-echo-extender-info-thread/5580#post_22929408

post #5608 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I agree with that, except Ceton doesn't always chime in. The only one that has ever answered my questions outside of the beta forums is Motz (Thanks). If they had there own forums, I would think they would take ownership then.

post #5609 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Just make sure you have the plugin app up to date. I reconfirmed with michael and he said it should be in this latest version.
http://update-echo.cetoncorp.com/get/echo/w7/latest

Yes this is fixed. I checked and am only getting one of these folders now.

post #5610 of 7721 Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

No, I agree with that, except Ceton doesn't always chime in. The only one that has ever answered my questions outsid eof the beta forums is Motz (Thanks). If they had there own forums, I would think they would take ownership of then.

Not neccesarily so. It is a matter of staffing too. Ceton may have less staff devoted to posting on public media forums than SiliconDust does and hosting their own forum would not change that IMHO.

I really think you are reading way too much into this. I don't need them to chime in actually..

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page