Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 7721 Old 07-14-2012, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to post my opinion about something.. I'm sure many users wont agree with me and I don't know how many feel the same way, but I've seen (many) discussions of how using an HTPC DVR saves you money over using your provider's DVR - either right off the bat or over the long run. The truth is that, for me, this is not even remotely a factor. I do not care one iota about the price of HTPC software - it plays absolutely no role for me. Ceton can charge whatever they want for their Echo's. and I will gladly pay it. Provided, of course, that the product meets my expectations.

Saving a few 100 $'s per year on my cable bill would have zero impact on my life as a whole. Using an inferior product, like my provider's DVR, switching inputs to some roku box to play DVD's that I can't resume in another room would have 20 times an impact on my quality of life.

I'm a long time (former?) SageTV user, and I actually recall thinking to myself several years ago that it seems like SageTV is actually too cheap for the service it provides. Perhaps if they had been more profitable, things might have worked out differently for that company. Why shouldn't they have charged monthly for EPG? I would not have even considered for a second using a plugin to scrape that data, if SageTV provided a builtin solution.

Certainly Apple's success in recent years shows that many people feel this way - if you like a product (very much), why not reward its maker (very much)? The tablet market, which has existed for many years, seemed minor until Apple proved that there is demand for it. I think the same could be said for smart home entertainment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 7721 Old 07-14-2012, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 59
But will Ceton be the one to deliver that polished experience?

Or more likely someone like Tivo, if not Apple itself with their rumored TV product?
post #813 of 7721 Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrisha View Post

Saving a few 100 $'s per year on my cable bill would have zero impact on my life as a whole. Using an inferior product, like my provider's DVR, switching inputs to some roku box to play DVD's that I can't resume in another room would have 20 times an impact on my quality of life.

I agree 100%. It is not a matter of the money but more of a matter of features and having a single solution for all video playback. This includes live tv, recorded tv and ripped videos, streaming Netflix and other online servers. It must support all popular codecs to be a winner in my book.
post #814 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 AM

Liked: 148
I would be happy if it simply acted as a VPN login into my HTPC (without logging off the current user) and was able to use the HTPC as I have it currently setup. That would be sweet. I would have the exact same experience on the extender as the main HTPC.
post #815 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrisha View Post

Saving a few 100 $'s per year on my cable bill would have zero impact on my life as a whole.

I dropped my cable TV. Saving a few 100 $'s per year on my cable bill had a big impact in my life. I always felt like I was paying a monthly subscription for garbage programming. So, I bought an antenna and watch TV for free, mostly PBS. I also watch a lot less TV since making the switch. All I want from the Echo to play the recorded shows from my antenna.
post #816 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulink View Post

I agree 100%. It is not a matter of the money but more of a matter of features and having a single solution for all video playback. This includes live tv, recorded tv and ripped videos, streaming Netflix and other online servers. It must support all popular codecs to be a winner in my book.

The conclusion I've come to is that if the Echo doesn't cover playing my BR-D and DVD rips, I'll probably be better off buying refurbed Xbox360's on Ebay to use as extenders instead.

Looky here!
post #817 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 10:12 AM

cough cough its july 15th smile.gif
post #818 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 11
Just got the email saying that they already contacted the 1000 beta testers. I missed out again. The email says that the unit will have an MSRP of $179 in time for the holiday season. Beta testers should get theirs in September.
post #819 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkole View Post

Just got the email saying that they already contacted the 1000 beta testers. I missed out again. The email says that the unit will have an MSRP of $179 in time for the holiday season. Beta testers should get theirs in September.

Yeah, I got the same thing. I guess I wasn't selected either... I'm not even sure if my application went through - they should have sent confirmation emails so at least you knew they got it.

edit: looks like my application went though after all.
post #820 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM

I feel the same way. I put in my app minutes after the site opened and am also not convinced it went through.
post #821 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:00 PM

I just got my confirmation email for the Echo Beta program. I had also signed up for the Android App, but never heard anything on that Beta Test.

Here is the info:

Ceton Extender Beta Confirmation
* Required

Beta Terms
Congratulations on being selected to participate in the Ceton Extender Beta Program! Please confirm your desire to participate by July 31, otherwise we'll have to offer your slot in the beta to someone on the waiting list.

Beta Details
The Ceton Extender Beta is a paid beta program. By participating in the beta:
-You agree to purchase a Ceton Extender for $179.00 when the beta program starts in September.
-Upon payment, we will send you a Ceton Extender device for testing. There is no additional charge for shipping.
-You will have access to a special beta forum and support during the beta period.
-You will receive the final Ceton Extender software at NO additional cost once it is released.
-Your Extender will have Ceton warranty coverage for 12 months after general availability.
- You agree to really put the Ceton Extender through its paces and provide us feedback on your experience during the beta program.

If you agree to participate, we will contact you again in September with final technical details on the Ceton Extender Beta as well as information on how to order your Ceton Extender for the beta. No payment is required today.

Egyptian Tomb Home Theater!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please visit my Web Page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #822 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Oops, Venom and I posted at the exact same time, so I deleted my stuff.

I had thought that I read forever ago that they were shooting for a $99 device. Oh well...
post #823 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Was hoping the echo would be closer to $100. At nearly the same price as an Xbox, I'll have to pass on the Echo.

post #824 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 PM

meh, $179 is on the high end of my expectations. i might wait until it drops to around $100, which i'm sure it will.
post #825 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 PM

I would have paid Ceton on top of the device to be in the beta.
post #826 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:07 PM

I will be fine with the $179 price point as long as it enables me a one box solution. That is what I am hoping for. As others have mentioned.... If it does what we all want it to do....... $179 will be fine. Even if it does more than an XBOX and is quiet.. I will be happy.

Egyptian Tomb Home Theater!!!

Please visit my Web Page:

post #827 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:09 PM

I didn't even get a rejection email that some of you got, i guess they totally forgot about me frown.gif
post #828 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got accepted! should be fun to bad couldnt beta test the Q too.
post #829 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:20 PM

Got accepted. Beta is paid so i have to cough up $179 for the device. I don't have xbox 360 so for me its nice to get the device, help with beta and get an extender of out it as well. Not bad. Price point is not that bad considering I don't play games so xbox would be overkill for me. As long as echo is smaller, quieter and uses less electricity than xbox I'm all for it. I'm sure once its out it would drop in price at some point as well. i just hope there would be a way to get my mkvs to echo.
post #830 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

September for beta?

Then probably November for availability?
post #831 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
At $179, it's going to need to perform above and beyond how the 360 does as an extender, or it'll be a non-starter for a lot of folks--especially since the 360 goes on sale so often during the holidays. So I'm hoping the price means that it's going to play all media formats without much trouble.
post #832 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 PM

http://cetoncorp.com/blog/its-been-a-busy-6-months/
Quote:
Ceton Blog
It's Been a Busy 6 Months...
7/15/2012
As you probably remember, at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January, we previewed two new products we have been developing for release in 2012: the Ceton “Echo”, a next-generation Windows Media Center Extender, and the Ceton “Q”, a whole-home DVR and multi-function entertainment device. Customer response and enthusiasm for both products has been incredible. It’s clear there is a lot of pent up demand for solutions like these that help people realize their dreams for connected entertainment devices and services. Everyone here at Ceton is really excited and thanks you for your enthusiasm!

Ceton “Echo” Update
Today we are informing the folks who have been selected to participate in the Ceton “Echo” beta program. It’s an exciting next step on the path to launching the Echo later this year. Those selected have been notified by email from us at beta@cetoncorp.com. We received thousands of beta applications but only have about 1,000 beta slots available, so we weren’t able to accommodate everyone who signed up unfortunately. We did our best to ensure we have a great pool of testers who represent the Echo customer base at large. Echo beta units will ship to testers in September. The Echo will be available from a variety of retailers for general consumer purchase in time for the 2012 holiday shopping season at a suggested retail price of $179.00. The Echo will be available in the US to start, with expansion to select international markets over time. We’ll provide more details on our US launch date and international plans later on.

Ceton Companion Update
In addition to the Echo and Q previews at CES, in April we announced the Ceton Companion, a family of mobile apps that bring the Ceton experience to iOS, Android and Windows phones and tablets. Initially the Ceton Companion was just going to be a key feature of the Ceton Q, but we decided to make it available to anyone with a Windows Media Center PC. Hundreds of customers have been beta testing the Companion for the last several weeks and feedback has been very positive. We plan to launch the Ceton Companion apps by the end of August!

Ceton “Q” Update
We’re still hard at work on the Ceton “Q” as well. We’ll provide an update on our plans for the Q in September.

New Retail Partner: Buy.com
And as a final note, we’re excited to bring on board a new retail partner, Buy.com. As of this week, our digital cable tuners, InfiniTV 4 PCIe and InfiniTV 4 USB, are now available on Buy.com for $199 with free shipping so please check them out!
Thanks for all your support and encouragement! -The Ceton Team
post #833 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 PM

I got my email saying I was accepted for the beta. For $179 it needs to play atleast mkv files for me. Our I would just rather build a cheap htpc and share one of my tuners. But I'm really hoping it supports mkv files because I would rather have an .
post #834 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:51 PM

179$ is not bad. they have to make money off of them and there not going to sell millions of them so they have to sell them at a price were they can make a profit.

I wish i could buy one right now for 179.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson1 View Post

meh, $179 is on the high end of my expectations. i might wait until it drops to around $100, which i'm sure it will.
post #835 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 144
So I'm wondering when we're going to hear what the Echo can actually do. I've got no problem paying $179 for one (I paid more for the first couple SageTV extenders) but they have to do more than the Xbox360, ie they have to do more than just TV and basic wtv/mpeg2/wmv file support, they really need to support HBR audio and full blu-ray bitrate video.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #836 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I'm in!. Looking forward to testing this device.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #837 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 01:07 PM

Liked: 20
This has been rather disappointing... I apparently wasn't selected, plus the only new piece of information we know is that we shouldn't expect it to be released until November/December.
post #838 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

And even less concrete plans on the Q ...
post #839 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

So I'm wondering when we're going to hear what the Echo can actually do.

I'm guessing we won't hear until September now that the beta has been pushed back until then.
post #840 of 7721 Old 07-15-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've never heard of a paid beta before. I have to buy their device so I can test it for them? I understand the demand is their and people are willing but that just seems wrong.
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page