AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread

551K views 8K replies 371 participants last post by  Bob Sorel 
#1 ·

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/c...nder-hands-on/

excellent news. I really thought Ceton might do something like this as a way to continue to add value to the platform.

Minimum System Requirements:
  • Display with HDMI input
  • Wired Ethernet network
  • PC with Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Media Center. A PC with a TV tuner is required for TV and DVR features.

Tech Specs:
  • Size: 3.9" x 0.8" x 4.3"
  • Power Consumption: less than 5 watts
  • Outputs: HDMI, Optical Digital Audio (TOSLINK)
  • Other Connectors: USB 2.0, Mini USB (for power)
  • Network: Ethernet (10/100/1000)
  • Audio formats supported: Dolby Digital AC-3, MP3, PCM, WMA, WMA Pro
  • Photo formats supported: BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, TIF
  • Video formats supported: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264, WMV9

Included in the Box:
  • Ceton Echo
  • Remote control
  • USB power cable (2 m/6.5 ft.) and adapter
  • HDMI cable (1.5 m/5 ft.)
  • Ethernet cable (1.5 m/5 ft.)
  • Quick Start Guide

Warranty:
  • 1-year limited warranty

[edit] - since they are creating two distinct products, I thought I would change the thread title to focus on the Echo extender and create another thread specific to the Q DVR box based on Windows 7 Embedded.

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr /forum/post/21487192

The Echo is an extender - it won't be even remotely useful without a Ceton Q OR a Windows 7 system running Windows Media Center.

I don't think we know yet what the Echo will be running, but I doubt it will be any form of Windows 7.

I'm not sure I follow your question, but each extender can be paired to one Windows 7 system running WMC. A single Windows 7 system running WMC can be paired with multiple extenders. It's a one to many relationship - the server paired to multiple extenders (only 5, IIRC, can be active at any given time).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/21487193

The Echo is an Extender for Windows Media Center, so it will work like the Xbox in that regard.

The Q, the DVR is running Windows 7 Embedded so yes that is running Windows Media Center, we're talking about the Echo extender in this thread though (I believe there's another about the Q DVR).

Not really, because Windows Media Center machines can't share guide/tuners, then can't work together as a system so they're really no better than having multiple DVRs. You can't watch something recorded on another machine (if it was recorded with DRM) your recording schedule and guide aren't global across everything.

I don't follow that.

Thanks for the break down.

I think my biggest concern was addressed. I thought that it was one extender to machine with WMC. I wonder though, I right now have a Linux server but if I had WHS working could I use that as an extender? Not too familiar with WHS...Or are these extenders going to be for us only with the main Q device?

I was hoping that these extenders were only being called extenders for the use of Live TV only. I prefer to use separate HTPC's as the Xbox 360 as an extender left me with a bad experience with extenders overall.

I guess I should reserve judgement though until we know more and see it in action

"Not really, because Windows Media Center machines can't share guide/tuners, then can't work together as a system so they're really no better than having multiple DVRs. You can't watch something recorded on another machine (if it was recorded with DRM) your recording schedule and guide aren't global across everything."

I didn't take this into consideration. Good point.

Thanks

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 /forum/post/21487358

as the Xbox 360 as an extender left me with a bad experience with extenders overall.

xbox's tend to do that....

hopefully the echo is better...

#80 ·
Hopefully, this makes it clear...

The Ceton Extender is at it's core a Media Center Extender. Which means it requires a Windows Media Center PC as a host. The Q is a standard Media Center host, nothing else.

It'll not work as an extender for Linux, WHS, Windows Server, Popcorn, Choclate, chopped zuchini or what have you.

An MC extender requires an MC host. If A=B and B=C, then .....

The unknown part is only about it's capabilities is the formats, BD playback etc.

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/21487460

The Ceton Extender is at it's core a Media Center Extender. Which means it requires a Windows Media Center PC as a host. The Q is a standard Media Center host, nothing else.

It'll not work as an extender for Linux, WHS, Windows Server, Popcorn, Choclate, chopped zuchini or what have you.

The unknown part is only about it's capabilities is the formats, BD playback etc.

Damn it no chopped zuchini! screw this!

Well I am already using my main HTPC as a Ceton server so to speak. I was just really hoping to be able to use my actual server with all it's disk space as the main server to use with these extenders.

Oh well.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/21487460

So the Echo should work as an extender for my existing 7MC host, just won't get the extra functionality that Ceton is adding?

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan42 /forum/post/21487195

Considering that one can get a barebones Xbox 360 4GB for under $200 now, and the price should go nowhere but down by the time the Echo comes out, I think a $299 price point would be a disaster for this product. Don't forget, even if every member of this sub-forum picks up a few of these, but the average Joe doesn't find it an attractive buy, then sales overall will be a disaster.

Even though my wife likes the idea of finally having a multi-room DVR of some sort, she'd laugh at the thought of paying $300 for one of these ("but with the savings in box rental fees, it'll pay for itself in just four years, honey!"). I think this thing needs to be much closer to $100, if not below, to be successful.

At $100, you'll get what you pay for - the

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by werd /forum/post/21487822

Ceton video podcast below, enjoy.

Nice link, thanks.

From the podcast:
Quote:
Q: Can I stream blu-rays to my Echo?

A: We're not ready to talk about that yet. Technically it's possible, but it's a legal issue.
Quote:
...allows a real home theater experience that the xbox doesn't support (referencing the Echo).

I guess it's encouraging that they know it's possible (since enthusiasts already knew that), but the fact that they can't talk about it concerns me regarding BD rip streaming to the extender. That's really the big question (in my eyes) since if it can't stream, it offers very little the xbox doesn't.

Some really nice opportunities and possibilities with this system, color me cautiously optimistic.

#88 ·
Exactly, my favorite thing about ceton is that they are basically us, and know what we like/want and what formats we desire to use. As such I have high hopes for this little device. Also excited they they will allow outside developers as well. Can't wait!

#90 ·
At $500 this will be a failure. The market for the product is pretty niche as it is. 90% of those shopping for this device know full well that the xbox 360 has the same basic functionality. Most of those shoppers will already have a HTPC. It has to compete on the 360's price. I bet the amount they sell to HTPC owners vs. Q buyers will be significant, as long as it's priced right.

$300 for the Q and $150 for the extenders will be a hot combination but I do not expect the Q to be that cheap, at $500 with the BR capabilities is a fair price.

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by werd /forum/post/21489697

Exactly people need to watch the video they clearly state that, and that is GREAT news. I will be curious as to how they price the Q though.

That must be a new video. The original video listed on page 1 had NO pricing information and did not mention any other companies or products. It was soley a Look what we have coming and how pretty it is video..

That said I was very glad to hear about the pricing!!

#95 ·
In case ceton is watching this thread, It would be great if the extender allows for IP control. The extender WILL be installed where av control systems will be used to control it, so allowing for IP control would make the integration easier and tighter. Microsoft would NEVER implement such a feature, but such a feature is one of the reasons DUNE is considered by many, the best media player!

Also some status feedback over the ip control would be nice. As far as I know there is no reliable method to get status for extenders, there are bugs in the existing media center front panel support that makes the status unreliable for extenders, and microsoft has indicated they have no interest in fixing the bugs.

#96 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower /forum/post/21489602

At $500 this will be a failure. The market for the product is pretty niche as it is. 90% of those shopping for this device know full well that the xbox 360 has the same basic functionality. Most of those shoppers will already have a HTPC. It has to compete on the 360's price. I bet the amount they sell to HTPC owners vs. Q buyers will be significant, as long as it's priced right.

$300 for the Q and $150 for the extenders will be a hot combination but I do not expect the Q to be that cheap, at $500 with the BR capabilities is a fair price.

Q competes directly against TiVo. So I'd expect $500 or more. Echo competes against Xbox 360. Since you can routinely get Xbox 360 4GB for $150 or less, the Q needs to be priced around $100. Otherwise, its fate will be just like all other non-Xbox MCE Extenders.

#97 ·
dheiskel,

They stated in the video I linked above that it will have IP control.

Foxbat121,

If the Echo can play more file formats than the 360 then I think it's worth at least as much. They say it will also have access to streaming services (I'm guessing things like Netflix and Amazon Prime). If that's true then you could access them without having a gold membership and without having to drop out of the media center interface. That alone is worth an extra $50 to me. Finally it'll be a low power instant on small fanless device.

#98 ·
List of features I'm hoping this has (in order of personal importance). This is all, of course, assuming it acts as a full media center extender (IE, just like XB360; live TV, MediaBrowser interface, etc)

1) Media compatibility as good as MPC-HC (basically, can play anything you throw at it). Including full res MKVs with HD audio (BD rips)!

2) Instant boot (

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by meoge /forum/post/21490038

Foxbat121,

If the Echo can play more file formats than the 360 then I think it's worth at least as much. They say it will also have access to streaming services (I'm guessing things like Netflix and Amazon Prime). If that's true then you could access them without having a gold membership and without having to drop out of the media center interface. That alone is worth an extra $50 to me. Finally it'll be a low power instant on small fanless device.

To most, the ability to play Xbox games in addition to be used as extender is a plus for XBox.

As for Netflix, not a draw anymore because in a typical Home Theatre setup, you will have HDTV that already has Netflix player and BD player that has Netflix player as well. Last thing I want is another Netflix player. Certainly not worth $50 more.

If Echo sells for $199 like you said, it will fail. Mark my word. Not sure if it is even possible to sell for $100 because of the license fee paid to Microsoft.

#101 ·

Quote:
1) Media compatibility as good as MPC-HC (basically, can play anything you throw at it). Including full res MKVs with HD audio (BD rips)!

It's still an Extender...and tied down by what Microsoft tells it. Don't expect too much, it probably won't do anything different from the Xbox as far as the Extender experience goes.
Quote:
2) Instant boot (

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.