post #1351 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

... Well I probably "can't", I've been through that already with my Sage extenders before I got my AVM50V, with my AVM20 I couldn't get HBR audio with the extenders so I opted to use my BD player and play the disc from the shelf rather than play the rip. So I already know that if the replacement solution doesn't do HBR audio, it's basically a non-starter.
Doesn't seem that unrealistic, even if they take a week to ship them all, that's "only" 200 per day, shipping takes a couple days, so they'd be getting feedback within a week, and they'd still have at least 4 weeks of feedback. I know SageTV was always really quick turn around on issues reported on their extenders, I see no reason why Ceton couldn't do the same.

With your BD system and the Anthem, I don't blame you. I am actually supprised that you even care about what an extender can do. I would only care abouit live tv, maybe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

With your BD system and the Anthem, I don't blame you. I am actually supprised that you even care about what an extender can do. I would only care abouit live tv, maybe.

Because I don't want a PC in my playback chain, beyond housing all the content and doing the recording.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1353 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Because I don't want a PC in my playback chain, beyond housing all the content and doing the recording.

perfectly stated.

the non-announcement was pretty disappointing, but that seems to be par for the course for this thing. frown.gif
post #1354 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Didn't mean it that way, I understand the extender and no pc in the playback chain, I don't either. Hence the interest in the Echo.

I meant your BD system does quite a bit more then just play BD, IIRC. So playing MKV's from extender is more or less redundent. Except for wanting one interface, then I understand.

post #1355 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Didn't mean it that way, I understand the extender and no pc in the playback chain, I don't either. Hence the interest in the Echo.
I meant your BD system does quite a bit more then just play BD, IIRC. So playing MKV's from extender is more or less redundent. Except for wanting one interface, then I understand.

My system (in the Home Theater) right now consists of a SageTV HD300 extender, Xbox 360, and a Pioneer BDP-51FD. The 51FD plays discs and nothing else (no network support at all), the Xbox is essentially useless as an extender for anything but TV (for my use), so that leaves the HD300. I use the HD300 for TV and movies (BD/DVD), it supports BD and DVD folder rips and that's how I use it, but it has "quirks" (bugs) with HBR bitstreaming enabled that obviously won't be fixed now, and is generally somewhat unstable in my setup so I'm looking for a replacement for that.

Ideally the replacement would support my media as is, ie DVD and BD folder rips, but MKV with unconverted BD audio/video would be an acceptable compromise since I rip my BDs movie only in the first place. I don't have anything else that plays BDs or MKVs, so if the Echo can't play BD audio/video (in some container) then all it's good for (for me) is TV, and SageTV is a better TV solution IMO. So if the Echo can't handle unconverted BD audio/video, then it (like the 360 and all the other extenders) is a non-starter for me, and I'll have to look elsewhere, probably to something like a Dune, or continue to put up with the quirks/bugs of my current HD300 solution.

FWIW the "value" of Kaleidescape seems to be growing day by day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1356 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post

Now if during the beta a minor HW issue is discovered. They have only impacted a 1000 users who willfully signed up to take on risk of beta. But my guess is that during beta there's going to be a milestone for production ramp up to begin barring no major HW defects being discovered.
The way I understand it, the beta testing is strictly for the software. The hardware is supposed to be finalized prior to shipping units for the beta test so there shouldn't any hardware issues. If glitches are found in the software, all beta units will get a free upgrade to the production version.
post #1357 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 AM

Liked: 11
I'm about to build my first HTPC and plan to use it for the main TV via HDMI and with four Echo Extenders. I'm having trouble deciding between an i3 or i5 processor because I can't get a handle on what kind of load an extender will place on the HTPC. The Microsoft recommendation is for 1 Gig of ram and 1 Core per extender. However, I suspect this recommendation is due to the possible need for transcoding.

If I'm playing back recoded TV to an Echo, what kind of load will be placed on the HTPC?

If I'm playing back ripped Blu-Ray or DVD's to en Echo, what kind of load will placed on the HTPC?

I'd like to support 3 or 4 simultaneous extenders from the HTPC while also playing back via HTMI to the main TV.

The two processors I am targeting are the i3-3225 and the i5-3570K, both with HD4000 graphics. I'd rather not have the i5 if is not needed due to the extra heat it generates and the possible need for a large case to deal with it.
post #1358 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... FWIW the "value" of Kaleidescape seems to be growing day by day.

That is what I thought you were running already, or something like it. I guess I missunderstood your post from the sage forum. My bad.

post #1359 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD truk View Post

I'm about to build my first HTPC and plan to use it for the main TV via HDMI and with four Echo Extenders. I'm having trouble deciding between an i3 or i5 processor because I can't get a handle on what kind of load an extender will place on the HTPC. The Microsoft recommendation is for 1 Gig of ram and 1 Core per extender. However, I suspect this recommendation is due to the possible need for transcoding.
If I'm playing back recoded TV to an Echo, what kind of load will be placed on the HTPC?
If I'm playing back ripped Blu-Ray or DVD's to en Echo, what kind of load will placed on the HTPC?
I'd like to support 3 or 4 simultaneous extenders from the HTPC while also playing back via HTMI to the main TV.
The two processors I am targeting are the i3-3225 and the i5-3570K, both with HD4000 graphics. I'd rather not have the i5 if is not needed due to the extra heat it generates and the possible need for a large case to deal with it.

I am running 7MC in a VM, and have dedicated 2 cores to the VM and 4gb ram, this and 3 other VMs run on an i5 2500k series cpu with 16gb total ram. I have tested 2 360's without an issue running live tv and then paused. I ran this for a day or so and experienced no skipping or lag for the most part. There is a known issue with 7MC when the frame rate switches there can be lag or loss of video for 1-2 seconds. MS doesn't plan on fixing this ...

You might want to use this as "Server" and use an Echo for the main as well. I would definetly run 7MC 64bit with 8gb ram with the i5 if your going to run 4-5 Echo's. I have found that streaming live/recorded tv does not eat up much process resources, but if you need transcoding for 4-5 extenders even an i7 may not be enough for that at times. The hope for the Echo is no transcoding and direct support of DVD/BD rips (ful MKV support).

post #1360 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is what I thought you were running already, or something like it. I guess I missunderstood your post from the sage forum. My bad.

Nope, just doing my best to approximate it.

post #1361 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD truk View Post

I did some testing a while back with my i3 based (Sandy Bridge) HTPC. See post #10921 in Assassin's HTPC buyer's guide thread. I think this link will get you there: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1302559/assassins-simple-beginner-htpc-buying-guide/10920#post_21675791

The i3 is pretty darn capable, and if you're not going to be transcoding, it should have you covered.
post #1362 of 7721 Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post

I did some testing a while back with my i3 based (Sandy Bridge) HTPC. See post #10921 in Assassin's HTPC buyer's guide thread. I think this link will get you there: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1302559/assassins-simple-beginner-htpc-buying-guide/10920#post_21675791
The i3 is pretty darn capable, and if you're not going to be transcoding, it should have you covered.

Thanks! Three simultaneous xbox's and the htpc all playing HDTV (live and recorded) and you were only at 30% cpu utilization. Seems like plenty of room to have a fourth HDTV going too. The i3-3225 should be ok for my needs. It also appears from your results that 4Gig of memory should be enough too, yes? I'm assuming that the Echo will not need transcoding for HDTV captured via the Ceton InfiniTV card.

With ripped movies, I guess the key is to rip into a format that the Echo can display without transcoding. I read back a few pages people asking about the MKV format. I didn't quite follow all of that since my research so far has been all into the hardware I need. If I were to rip movies, I'd want to avoid loosing video and audio quality while maintaining the ability to use the Echo without transcoding. What format is best for that? or is it too early to know since the Echo specs aren't out yet?
post #1363 of 7721 Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 AM

Dear Ceton, please throw all of us a bone and release some information. The anticipation is starting to hurt.
post #1364 of 7721 Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkole View Post

Dear Ceton, please throw all of us a bone and release some information. The anticipation is starting to hurt.

Another 10+ days on that one, sadly.

post #1365 of 7721 Old 09-19-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Another 10+ days on that one, sadly.

If they plan on sending out the beta units in the first week of October they have to give information sooner than 10+ days, right?
post #1366 of 7721 Old 09-19-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They'll give out the information when they're ready. There's nothing we can do to change their timetable, or the readyness of their hardware/software.

post #1367 of 7721 Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They'll give out the information when they're ready. There's nothing we can do to change their timetable, or the readyness of their hardware/software.

+1

post #1368 of 7721 Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know it has already been mentioned but they are going to need a crack team of coders working 24/7 to expect to get this thing out by the 2012 Holidays. That is less than 3 months from now! eek.gif

Of course that assumes they fix all the bugs by then. Hopefully they don't release a bug ridden product to the masses just to beat a deadline like a lot of companies do today.
post #1369 of 7721 Old 09-27-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen_PCB View Post

I know it has already been mentioned but they are going to need a crack team of coders working 24/7 to expect to get this thing out by the 2012 Holidays.

We already have one of those. You'd be amazed how much code gets written at 3AM.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #1370 of 7721 Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

We already have one of those. You'd be amazed how much code gets written at 3AM.

Buggy code biggrin.gif
post #1371 of 7721 Old 09-27-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post

Buggy code biggrin.gif

Naa, a bunch of us tend to sleep about 4am-noon. Mornings suck biggrin.gif

post #1372 of 7721 Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

Naa, a bunch of us tend to sleep about 4am-noon. Mornings suck biggrin.gif

Can I come work for you? I've been saying I need a job with those hours for years! smile.gif
post #1373 of 7721 Old 09-28-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Well, it's now the end of September. I hope that we get a couple of days to look at the specs before we have to make the final decision (assuming that it's still shipping next week).

post #1374 of 7721 Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
My bet is a Sunday evening message out to the accepted beta testers.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #1375 of 7721 Old 09-29-2012, 06:10 AM

Liked: 10
Negative on this weekend. I'm thinking maybe Monday but probably just some point before the end of next week. (maybe). You guys have to learn to set your expectations appropriately. That way u won't be let down and would be delightfully surprised if it happens earlier wink.gif
post #1376 of 7721 Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 AM

I'm just looking forward to it. I would like to have it last year, like most of us, but really want the experience to be the bst possible in terms of WAF. That experience, after all, determines what comes into and goes out of the house.
post #1377 of 7721 Old 09-29-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Can I come work for you? I've been saying I need a job with those hours for years! smile.gif

If you know embedded linux programming, in particular relating to MPEG, and are willing to move to Seattle, shoot me your resume smile.gif I also feel like this is a battle I won with my parents...I hated mornings growing up...my parents always told me I would have to get up early for work...they were wrong cool.gif Same with dressing up for work biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post

Negative on this weekend. I'm thinking maybe Monday but probably just some point before the end of next week. (maybe). You guys have to learn to set your expectations appropriately. That way u won't be let down and would be delightfully surprised if it happens earlier wink.gif

I would think that you guys would have realized by now that we procrastinate as much as a bunch of teenagers doing their homework. When we say the 30th, you're not likely to get it until 11:55PM on the 30th. In Pacific time...maybe even Hawaii biggrin.gif

post #1378 of 7721 Old 09-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Eric, you're a great asset to the forums!

Keep up the good work. I'm really looking forward to the Echo.
post #1379 of 7721 Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 PM

Okay Eric, it's 8:22 EDT, so that means its about 2:22 Hawaiian time?

--Dean L. Surkin
post #1380 of 7721 Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 PM

Liked: 12
4:35pm in Alaska!
Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version