Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I was under the impression HDMI CEC was rather hit-or-miss between manufacturers since it wasn't a well defined standard.

I've read that as well but my experience has been that my Sharp TV and my Sony PS3 work beautifully together. So beautifully in fact, that I am buying the Rainshadow Tech device for my HTPC that is connected to a different TV just so I have the same functionality on my main TV and my HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

My VESA is being used to hang the TV on the wall in the kitchen where this is destined to go. Later, if all goes well, I'll be putting a couple more around but it is so small I don' think it'll be a problem just having it on the counter or whereever the IR remote works with it.
Velcro is a perfect idea. I have my SSD velcroed to the inside of my PC case.. (Thanks to assassin's recommedation)

Word of advice on velcro. I used it on my Roku on the back of a wall mount tv. The Roku's heat was too much for the adhesive and it kept coming off. The Echo may get just as hot. My solution was to wrap a couple tie wraps around the roku and over the velcro to hold it in place.
post #1803 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by khubo View Post

I've read that as well but my experience has been that my Sharp TV and my Sony PS3 work beautifully together. So beautifully in fact, that I am buying the Rainshadow Tech device for my HTPC that is connected to a different TV just so I have the same functionality on my main TV and my HTPC.

Just curious, you don't have a receiver in-between components and TV which would mean you only used one input on the TV for everything? If not, cheap HDMI switchers from monoprice could speed up the process and make it seem seamless.
post #1804 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Or I can just hope that people begin using the HDMI-CEC protocol.
I am still hopeful that HDMI-CEC made it in but that it is such a back-of-the-mind thought for most people that it wouldn't be published in the specs. If any of the Beta testers could verify I would really appreciate it.

I can test it for you, but as Stanger states, it doen't really work that well because of the loose interpitaiton. The thing that seems to not work well is the priorety. I leave it turned off for that reason.

post #1805 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Rainshadowtech device?

post #1806 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyusa View Post

Just curious, you don't have a receiver in-between components and TV which would mean you only used one input on the TV for everything? If not, cheap HDMI switchers from monoprice could speed up the process and make it seem seamless.

I went that route, mono price swich works real well.

post #1807 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Quote:

Or I can just hope that people begin using the HDMI-CEC protocol.
I am still hopeful that HDMI-CEC made it in but that it is such a back-of-the-mind thought for most people that it wouldn't be published in the specs. If any of the Beta testers could verify I would really appreciate it.

I can test it for you, but as Stanger states, it doen't really work that well because of the loose interpitaiton. The thing that seems to not work well is the priorety. I leave it turned off for that reason.

There is no "user accessible" setup menu on the echo to ensure that the feature is on or off.

I tried to determine if it was on by default and its not functioning with my combo of Echo-->Denon AVR --> Panasonic TV

However, I cant say without direct connection to the TV and Echo which device is not actually working.

In search of video bliss...
post #1808 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anyone other than me using MoCA?

xnappo
post #1809 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

xnappo

I am and I love it. I have a direct home run back to my data panel with no splitters. I am able to get about 65mbps throughput down to my TV, Extender (DMA2100), and PS3. I have had absolutely n problems with it.
post #1810 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCrew View Post

How are you going to get IR to it if it is behind the TV? Would be nice if it had IR extender plug. I guess if you had Harmony 900 or similar, that would work.

Try plugging a WMC IR receiver into it. I forget if that made the cut for features or not (so it may not work), but I was lobbying for a remote IR receiver/input.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #1811 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am and I love it. I have a direct home run back to my data panel with no splitters. I am able to get about 65mbps throughput down to my TV, Extender (DMA2100), and PS3. I have had absolutely n problems with it.

Does the DMA2100 work well with MediaBrowser for you? MoCA is *very* slow loading the images on my XBOX360 over MoCA (much better with a hard wire) so I am very interested in how the Echo behaves. My MoCA bandwidth is great, but seems like there is something with the requests for multiple small files really bogging it down on my 360.

xnappo
post #1812 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

xnappo

I am. I have it connected into a "Actiontec" moca adaptor now.

edit: I have no problems with any of my extenders which are MOCA connected. They all can access MB fine and scroll the artwork perfectly.

post #1813 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Does the DMA2100 work well with MediaBrowser for you? MoCA is *very* slow loading the images on my XBOX360 over MoCA (much better with a hard wire) so I am very interested in how the Echo behaves. My MoCA bandwidth is great, but seems like there is something with the requests for multiple small files really bogging it down on my 360.
xnappo

It is acceptable. It struggled when I was using an AMD E450 for my HTPC. Now that I have upgraded to a Core i32100t with 8GB of ram it is actually very snappy. Actually, with the AMD processor MediaBrowser struggled on the actual HTPC as well.

I would say that the extender is not much slower then the actual PC itself. I have no problems scrolling through my movie collection (about 250 titles) all with full metadata behind them. My biggest problem is with my actual extender. I don't leave it on full time because of the blinding blue light it emits. When I start it sometimes I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to initialize.

Also, all my movies are in uncompressed DVD's in .WTV format. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not but it does give me DVD quality video with full DD surround sound as well as FF/RW functionality.
post #1814 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

There is no "user accessible" setup menu on the echo to ensure that the feature is on or off.
I tried to determine if it was on by default and its not functioning with my combo of Echo-->Denon AVR --> Panasonic TV
However, I cant say without direct connection to the TV and Echo which device is not actually working.

There wouldn't be for the Echo, only the device which receives the signal, like a Tv. I doubt you AVR has this function built into it.
In fact It's a real bad feature for and AVR. If your TV support's it and you turn it on, it's usually on by default, just plug the Echo into the TV directly.

Personally I hate this feature, somtimes it even turns the TV on just by turning on a device. My bedroom Tv did that with the BD player.

post #1815 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

It is my understanding that HDMI-CEC was not in the current Echo Feature Set.

post #1816 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

edit: I have no problems with any of my extenders which are MOCA connected. They all can access MB fine and scroll the artwork perfectly.

Does that include XBOXs?

Thanks!
xnappo
post #1817 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

There wouldn't be for the Echo, only the device which receives the signal, like a Tv. I doubt you AVR has this function built into it.
In fact It's a real bad feature for and AVR. If your TV support's it and you turn it on, it's usually on by default, just plug the Echo into the TV directly.

Personally I hate this feature, somtimes it even turns the TV on just by turning on a device. My bedroom Tv did that with the BD player.

My denon 3312 has the HDMI CEC Pass through feature, so I expect it to pass through to the TV. However, on most source devices there is the capability to toggle the feature on or off. Since there is no UI on the echo other than WMC I can't verify if its available or not. Only that the VIERA Link is on for the Tv.

post #1818 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Source devices wil frequently have a menu setting to enable or disable CEC. For example, Oppo Blu-ray players have such a setting.

And I very much agree with you that CEC is more of a PITA than a useful feature in most cases. I've always found it better to program my remote to do exactly what I want rather than hope that CEC will do the right thing.
post #1819 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Does that include XBOXs?

Thanks!
xnappo

Yes, The Xbox works fine as well. I have two of the verizon fios actiontec adaptors ECB2200V which are 1.1 compliant and the MI424WR rev G(iirc it's the latest gigE version). I get great speeds ~90+ Mbps at all locations. I only use gigabit throughout except the devices itself (Xbox and extenders) which are all 100 mb.

post #1820 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Source devices wil frequently have a menu setting to enable or disable CEC. For example, Oppo Blu-ray players have such a setting.
And I very much agree with you that CEC is more of a PITA than a useful feature in most cases. I've always found it better to program my remote to do exactly what I want rather than hope that CEC will do the right thing.

Thanks, guys - I have not come across this yet. But then again I wasn't looking.

mariob33 - your denon switches it's sources around based on what source turns on? doesn't that get in the way alot?

My Onkyo doesn't do that, thankfully. I guess I should look at that.

Sorry for side tracking this discussion.

EDIT: I just checked, my bd player has it as does my AVR, both defaulted to off. Who knew ...

post #1821 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM

mariob33 or Sammy2, does this thing play bluray or what?
post #1822 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I have one Xbox connected via ActionTec MoCA, one connected via Powerline adapter, one connected via cat5e cable. All work fine without noticeable slow downs. If your MoCA connection seems slow, pay attention to your coax line splitters. Moca operates on 1GHz to 1.5Ghz range, outside the operating range of most cable splitters (5MHz to 1Ghz). So these splitters don't work very well with MoCA.
post #1823 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkole View Post

mariob33 or Sammy2, does this thing play bluray or what?

No, but not expected based on what was posted as specs by Ceton.

post #1824 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I have one Xbox connected via ActionTec MoCA, one connected via Powerline adapter, one connected via cat5e cable. All work fine without noticeable slow downs. If your MoCA connection seems slow, pay attention to your coax line splitters. Moca operates on 1GHz to 1.5Ghz range, outside the operating range of most cable splitters (5MHz to 1Ghz). So these splitters don't work very well with MoCA.

Thanks for the sanity check. There is definitely something odd going on then - I have a PC connected to the MoCA port as well (I use the XBOX for protected stuff) and MB works fine through that. Also the network bandwidth test on the XBOX pegs out, so it isn't bandwidth. I am very familiar with MoCA debug (I started the Actiontec thread on AVS smile.gif ) I honestly don't think it is and issue with the MoCA bandwidth - I get speeds similar to yours.

Anyway - will see how the Echo works for me and debug from there. My 'extender' XBOX is an early model with a broken drive I picked up for cheap on Craigslist while waiting for the Echo.

xnappo
post #1825 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
You could put a hub in between and sniff the packets.
post #1826 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:

No, but not expected based on what was posted as specs by Ceton.

What about mkv containing ac3 audio? If so can you fast forward and rewind?

What about mkv with dts audio?
post #1827 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
One thing with WMC extenders is that the very first time (after you connect) you open up the Guide, it takes a few extra seconds to show up. But next time you hit the guide, it will be quick. It is simply a bad design in MS' part because it seems that Xtenders need to download a fairly large chunk of guide data everytime it connects instead of caching it on the extender.
post #1828 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

It firmly chokes on mkv playback at this time so I didn't get far enough to see what it does with dts. We'll see how that goes going forward in the beta. It may be something where the codecs in the HTPC need to be in WMC and not in MPC-HC but IDK. Remember guys this is basically the first day of the beta and it does what was advertised.. and what I mostly needed was a PVR solution for other TV's in the house. Hopefully in the next few weeks it will change in regard to mkv and dts playback.

post #1829 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Does it handle WOL like the XBOX360?

Really keen on getting a few of these if they can sort out MKV playback.

Thanks in advance, no doubt you will get bombarded for answers smile.gif
post #1830 of 7721 Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not familiar with WOL??

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List