gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post

ship date 10/31, delivery date 11/6? WTF?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post

fedex to texas

If it's FedEx Ground, that sounds about right as they don't deliver to residential addresses on Mondays (they deliver Tuesday - Saturday).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FEDEX Ground to Nebraska

FedEx Ground delivers Monday through Friday,
FedEx Home delivery only delivers Tuesday through Saturday.
post #2523 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I don't have anything in XVID. All my stuff is in mkv which looks like must be split on the host machine like any other container. The extender is basically a special RDP session and doesn't do any processing itself, so to speak.

I must admit I am not on top on all the different codecs/container issues so feel free to correct me, I find it all very confusing. I think what you are stating may be true with MKV files left in the MKV format forcing the HTPC to transcode the file to the Echo Extender since it doesn't natively support MKV. Transcoding utilizes a lot of HTPC cpu. I want to be able to watch a movie or live tv on all the Extenders and HTPC at the same time without issue so I am trying to stay away from transcoding all together. I did some research on the Xbox 360 which shows what it is capable of playing without transcoding or issues. I tried doing some re-encoding but it takes way too to long. I use Xmedia Recode 3.1.1.8 to remux or change the container from MKV to MP4. The Xbox 360 is very limited on the bitrate and it is different depending upon the codec/container used. I have stayed away from really high bit rate rips (Blu-ray) since the Extenders are so limited. Xmedia can also re-encode the audio if needed or re-encode the video if you are not able to remux the file. I am really hoping Ceton can get the Echo to handle everything I can throw at the Xbox 360 without transcoding.

Some good info if you have the Xbox is at Media Browser's site.

Xbox 360 Media Playback problems?

Configure Xbox 360 Valid Extensions

Xmedia Recode
psuKinger likes this.
post #2524 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
There is no transcoding. Only opening the mkv container on the HTPC and sending the video (AVC or VC-1) and the audio (AAC right now, AC-3 forthcoming) to the Echo via ethernet for it to move along the chain via HDMI to the AVR (where it is output as sound on the AVR's speakers and video moved along to the HDTV via HDMI), or directly to the HDTV for both sound and picture if there is no AVR in the HDMI chain. CPU utilization is very low. Thus far I have had very good success with mkv's that are under 6kpbs with low CPU utilization (<20% on my i3-550). As the Echo f/w is improved I expect this will improve too.

post #2525 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Still no invoice...the good news that it should happen by Friday, 11:59PM wink.gif
Roginator likes this.

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #2526 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1541 View Post

How does it handle XVID files?
My Linksys DMAs play them, but they buffer for about 5-10 seconds before they play.. when it does start, the seek bar is at the end.. I then press pause and play and the seek bar goes to where it should be.
Skipping forward and back is spotty.. some videos don't even skip.
Is there a chance that this will get the ability to play video on its own? (without using Media Center)
I'd like to play MKV files without having to use a splitter on the Media Center.. early on, it sounded like it would natively play them.

I did a little bit of googling and found this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia.org 
Xvid is not a video format – it is a program (codec) for compressing and decompressing to the MPEG-4 ASP format. Since Xvid uses MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile (ASP) compression, any video that is encoded with it is termed "MPEG-4 ASP video" – not "Xvid video" – and can therefore be decoded with all MPEG-4 ASP compliant decoders. This includes a large number of media players and decoders, in particular all the ones based on the free/open source libavcodec library from FFmpeg (for example, MPlayer, VLC, ffdshow or Perian).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid

So as long as you have the right splitter it should play. I would think that LAV would take care of this on the host machine just like it does mkv's.

post #2527 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
The thing with XVID is that most files are in .AVI format and will play with a Divx codec installed. xvid.org has good codecs as well. Most are based on DirectShow however.

post #2528 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 AM

Liked: 11
the reason I ask is that the experience is supposedly very smooth on the Xbox so I'm not sure if its due to the speed of the Xbox vs the Linksys DMAs or if it's due to the way it connects.

Can someone from Ceton answer if there is any possibility that it will be able to play videos skipping Media Center.. ie: a standalone DLNA, uPNP, etc.. player ?
post #2529 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

A dual boot mode is a possibility, the probability of it is unkown at this time as it hasn't been mentioned or discussed by ceton. In other words, extenders, once in the RDP with the HTPC, cannot do anything that is not available in WMC on the HTPC; but I don't think there's limitations to what it can do if it were allowed to boot into a DLNA / uPNP type environment, aka streamer.

post #2530 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

How does it handle XVID files?
My Linksys DMAs play them, but they buffer for about 5-10 seconds before they play.. when it does start, the seek bar is at the end.. I then press pause and play and the seek bar goes to where it should be.
Skipping forward and back is spotty.. some videos don't even skip.

Is there a chance that this will get the ability to play video on its own? (without using Media Center)
I'd like to play MKV files without having to use a splitter on the Media Center.. early on, it sounded like it would natively play them.

I have a few AVI/XVID files compressed using dvdFab and the echo plays them fine. These are all 720p AC-3 which is supported by the echo. I use this more for archival of kids movies where the original is not key. Spongbob looks ok even overly compressed.

In search of video bliss...
post #2531 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the reason I ask is that the experience is supposedly very smooth on the Xbox so I'm not sure if its due to the speed of the Xbox vs the Linksys DMAs or if it's due to the way it connects.
Can someone from Ceton answer if there is any possibility that it will be able to play videos skipping Media Center.. ie: a standalone DLNA, uPNP, etc.. player ?

I am not answering for Ceton, but Right now the Echo is a dedicated MCX. period. However it does play AVI's without an issue. Mine are not 1080 though.

We all would like the Echo t be able to bypass wmc at this point to be able to do more ...

post #2532 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no transcoding. Only opening the mkv container on the HTPC and sending the video (AVC or VC-1) and the audio (AAC right now, AC-3 forthcoming) to the Echo via ethernet for it to move along the chain via HDMI to the AVR (where it is output as sound on the AVR's speakers and video moved along to the HDTV via HDMI), or directly to the HDTV for both sound and picture if there is no AVR in the HDMI chain. CPU utilization is very low. Thus far I have had very good success with mkv's that are under 6kpbs with low CPU utilization (<20% on my i3-550). As the Echo f/w is improved I expect this will improve too.

To be clear AC-3 is already supported.

post #2533 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A dual boot mode is a possibility, the probability of it is unkown at this time as it hasn't been mentioned or discussed by ceton. In other words, extenders, once in the RDP with the HTPC, cannot do anything that is not available in WMC on the HTPC; but I don't think there's limitations to what it can do if it were allowed to boot into a DLNA / uPNP type environment, aka streamer.

Ceton could do what HP did with there x280n. That would work just fine I would think, for most anyway.

post #2534 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haba View Post

I must admit I am not on top on all the different codecs/container issues so feel free to correct me, I find it all very confusing. I think what you are stating may be true with MKV files left in the MKV format forcing the HTPC to transcode the file to the Echo Extender since it doesn't natively support MKV. Transcoding utilizes a lot of HTPC cpu. I want to be able to watch a movie or live tv on all the Extenders and HTPC at the same time without issue so I am trying to stay away from transcoding all together. I did some research on the Xbox 360 which shows what it is capable of playing without transcoding or issues. I tried doing some re-encoding but it takes way too to long. I use Xmedia Recode 3.1.1.8 to remux or change the container from MKV to MP4. The Xbox 360 is very limited on the bitrate and it is different depending upon the codec/container used. I have stayed away from really high bit rate rips (Blu-ray) since the Extenders are so limited. Xmedia can also re-encode the audio if needed or re-encode the video if you are not able to remux the file. I am really hoping Ceton can get the Echo to handle everything I can throw at the Xbox 360 without transcoding.
Some good info if you have the Xbox is at Media Browser's site.
Xbox 360 Media Playback problems?
Configure Xbox 360 Valid Extensions
Xmedia Recode

Very interesting regarding the the 360. I just started ripping to MKV (using Assassin's guide), and ran into all kinds of problems with playback on my 360.
post #2535 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

Very interesting regarding the the 360. I just started ripping to MKV (using Assassin's guide), and ran into all kinds of problems with playback on my 360.

The xbox will choke on ~>20mbps, so most uncompressed ripped BD's will choke for th emost part. BTW, excellant guide from Assassin.

post #2536 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpster View Post

FedEx Ground delivers Monday through Friday,
FedEx Home delivery only delivers Tuesday through Saturday.
FedEx Ground is to commercial addresses, FedEx Home is to residential addresses. Depending on the address, there are cases where you can pick either one, but when filling out a shipping label on the FedEx site, the address verifier typically figures out which type of address it is and picks Ground or Home accordingly - I'm pretty sure both of these are operated out of the same depots and the delivery speed is basically the same for both. FedEx Overnight, 2nd Day, and 3rd day fall under the "FedEx Express" umbrella and, at least in my area, use different depots.
post #2537 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Sort of off subject but it doesn't seem efficient to me. UPS runs every thing through the same hubs and even the same trucks. Fedex has all these different delivery carriers depending on the service type covering the same geographical area.

post #2538 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Sort of off subject but it doesn't seem efficient to me. UPS runs every thing through the same hubs and even the same trucks. Fedex has all these different delivery carriers depending on the service type covering the same geographical area.

Fedex has always been weird. Up until a few years ago every package had to go through their hub in Tennessee. At least they stopped that madness.
post #2539 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quick question for those with extenders echo/non-echo. Does anybody know if the echo supports http://www.recordedtvhd.com? I'm thinking of trying it as I have read good things but only if its supported.

post #2540 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

FedEx Ground is to commercial addresses, FedEx Home is to residential addresses. Depending on the address, there are cases where you can pick either one, but when filling out a shipping label on the FedEx site, the address verifier typically figures out which type of address it is and picks Ground or Home accordingly - I'm pretty sure both of these are operated out of the same depots and the delivery speed is basically the same for both. FedEx Overnight, 2nd Day, and 3rd day fall under the "FedEx Express" umbrella and, at least in my area, use different depots.

Well whatever the situation is all I know is MINE is showing up Monday smile.gif
post #2541 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Quick question for those with extenders echo/non-echo. Does anybody know if the echo supports http://www.recordedtvhd.com? I'm thinking of trying it as I have read good things but only if its supported.

Give it a shot they have a free trial. I hope it works with the echo I love the recorded TV HD interface.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
post #2542 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

While I don't have an echo yet, Recorded TV works fine on a older 360. Don't see any reason it wouldn't work even better on the echo. You can try it for something like 14 days before buying.
post #2543 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:

Read the FAQ
post #2544 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Read the FAQ

Yeah and a nickel will get me a cup coffee. I was looking fr real world experience. Thanks rolleyes.gif, I think.

post #2545 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Read the FAQ

Wrong link above ^^^ this forum is not allowing me to change it.

Try this link instead
post #2546 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Yeah and a nickel will get me a cup coffee. I was looking fr real world experience. Thanks rolleyes.gif, I think.

Excuse me for trying to post some helpful info. Perhaps, it would have been a good idea to insert real world experience in your original question?
post #2547 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow, this is a tough crowd. - not you so much, but dam.

I use Recorded TV HD exclusivly, so much so I removed the standard TV from the main menu with reset toolbox, also movies, and use Media Browser.
The remote supports the guide, so I don't need it as a men item. I could ot would not use MC without these plugins. And a few more as well.

post #2548 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Quote:

Wow, this is a tough crowd. - not you so much, but dam.

I use Recorded TV HD exclusivly, so much so I removed the standard TV from the main menu with reset toolbox, also movies, and use Media Browser.
The remote supports the guide, so I don't need it as a men item. I could ot would not use MC without these plugins. And a few more as well.

I use MB now but not all themes render well via the echo. Is recordedtv smooth scrolling on the echo? I know your in the beta any problems with the plugin?

I try to avoid installing any problematic WMC plugins or extras. .

post #2549 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Read the FAQ

Wrong link above ^^^ this forum is not allowing me to change it.

Try this link instead

I was responding based on original link you posted. Thanks for the second link smile.gif

post #2550 of 7721 Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I use MB now but not all themes render well via the echo. Is recordedtv smooth scrolling on the echo? I know your in the beta any problems with the plugin?
I try to avoid installing any problematic WMC plugins or extras. .

It is much smoother then MB. Its well worth the 15 bucks. Like I said, I removed the tv menu item all together.

I have to admit, I really can't use the Echo much at this point. Too much doesn't work for me. I can only test the fixes at this point.
I am not trying give a dig to Ceton, as this is still a beta. This is just where I am at. I am sure they will figure it out soon.

Edit: yeah, themes are not supported at this point, which is strange since the session is basically RDP.

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page