Forum Jump: 

post #2611 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Eric did say it does 3D. All but one of the i.MX6's does 3D so that narrows it down a little.

Unless I am misreading the specs on the Freescale website, it would have to be the dual or quad version. Every variant below that can encode/decode 1080P, but is limited to 720P display output. (except the SL that can't do 1080P at all)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Cablecard will be around for a *long* time, it takes the FCC forever to approve anything new. The question is whether WMC guide data supporting that will be around as long given that MS has abandoned development.
And the Echo is only $20 cheaper than an Xbox at list price - if all you want is an extender, it's easy to get an Xbox Slim with a busted DVD drive for $100 or so, or a refurb, or just wait a couple of weeks until the Black Friday sales kick in and they'll be $150 or less all over the place. So the Echo is more expensive and really doesn't add enough extra to the table right now other than lower power use.

It is probably just on autopilot although there were reports of it not working for a spell earlier this year. It is the timeliness of fixing things like that that will matter.

I like the form factor of the Echo over the xBox so that is worth $ to me.

post #2613 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post

Well, I still haven't gotten a beta invoice, and I'm starting to think they won't send out units to everyone that they previously accepted into the beta.
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried variable frame rate video on the Echo yet? My Sage extender (originally HD100) had problems with that early on- basically it played but the audio/video got horribly out of sync. It's kind of a weird thing to run into, so it wouldn't surprise me if no one tested it yet. Some old TV shows run into that problem because they would switch between film and video frame rates when they went in and out of CGI scenes. ST-DS9 is an example of this (at least in their earlier seasons, I didn't notice it in the later seasons).

I did this using handbrake and "Chronicles of Riddick" from DVD, that played fine. At this juncture the they are still at 720p and limited audio support. BD (Avengers) rips with MakeMKV, converted to M2TS did not work for me. Either did the original MKV.

The dvd rip was 3-10mbps and the BD rip was constant 23mbps.

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking bit rate, not frame rate. Obviously i need to check my eyes once in a while. ...

post #2614 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

is Dark Knight (the movie) and example? I can convert that and try if it is?

Movies are probably never VFR. I think you'll only find it in older TV shows with special effects.

Don't worry about it. If I get an Echo I'll pull out a DS9 episode and test it. I'm not even sure I have a good example anymore. After a while I eventually game up trying to Handbrake my DS9 DVDs, and just ripped to a video_ts folder.
post #2615 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

I like the form factor of the Echo over the xBox so that is worth $ to me.

I guess to be fair one should consider the cost of a low end Harmony remote on the Xbox 360 side. No way is my wife going to use the controller... or steal my Harmony. smile.gif
post #2616 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

BD (Avengers) rips with MakeMKV, converted to M2TS did not work for me. Either did the original MKV.

Does the M2TS Avengers conversion play for you on an Xbox?

And what audio codec did you rip? DTS or DTSHD?
post #2617 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I guess to be fair one should consider the cost of a low end Harmony remote on the Xbox 360 side. No way is my wife going to use the controller... or steal my Harmony. smile.gif

You really can't do that because the Echo remote is junk, just like the ones on all the old extenders. You're going to want your own either way.
post #2618 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I think you'll need one for the Echo too. I heard the included remote isn't great. Most included remotes are just placeholders anyway. I threw the remotes straight into the trash when I received my DMA-2100's. They weren't even good enough to keep as backups. The HP x280n has a nice remote though. It's a keeper.
post #2619 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Still wishing ceton would clarify this passthrough thing. I'm thinking that lack of denial means they are going to try to support it. I even pm'd Eric direct prompting a response to it here and he did not respond when he stopped in a few minutes ago, which was within ten minutes of when I pm'd him.

post #2620 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Off topic, but how are you doing the embedded quoting?
I can't seem to get that to work for me.

Put "[ q u o t e ]" and "[ / q u o t e ]" with in original quote ... tongue.gif

this "[ q u o t e ]" could be a referance to another post. Go to quote that first and copy the line. then use your second quote.

post #2621 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post

Movies are probably never VFR. I think you'll only find it in older TV shows with special effects.
Don't worry about it. If I get an Echo I'll pull out a DS9 episode and test it. I'm not even sure I have a good example anymore. After a while I eventually game up trying to Handbrake my DS9 DVDs, and just ripped to a video_ts folder.

What about when Dark Night switches from iMax to BluRay and back and forth?

post #2622 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Put "[ q u o t e ]" and "[ / q u o t e ]" with in original quote ... tongue.gif
this "[ q u o t e ]" could be a referance to another post. Go to quote that first and copy the line. then use your second quote.

Okay. That's cumbersome. The boating forum I go to also (I do have other hobbies) has it so if you quote a post that quotes another post it grabs both posts nested. I thought there was a direct way to do that easier.

post #2623 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

You really can't do that because the Echo remote is junk, just like the ones on all the old extenders. You're going to want your own either way.

I think the HP remote is very nice. I never saw the Dlink ones, but the Linksys ones shouldn't have even been in the box.
post #2624 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

Nope, the MKV worked better for me. I use MakeMKV for MKV's. The audio choked though. The M2TS was taken from a post over at TGB.tv posted from Motz, from Ceton. I forget the name of the tool something like MakeM2TS. But DTS is transcoded in that conversion utility. I think it only renames the container and recodes the audio. But my xbox did not like that at all.

EDIT: mkv2vob is the name of the M2TS conversion utility Motz uses.

post #2625 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... The boating forum I go to also (I do have other hobbies) ....

Let's go off topic, sorry guys. Sail or Power. I am Power.

post #2626 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, the MKV worked better for me. I use MakeMKV for MKV's. The audio choked though. The M2TS was taken from a post over at TGB.tv posted from Motz, from Ceton. I forget the name of the tool something like MakeM2TS. But DTS is transcoded in that conversion utility. I think it only renames the container and recodes the audio. But my xbox did not like that at all.

Interesting.

Not to get too off-topic, but I just ripped Avengers using MakeMKV as well. Took the DTS audio and the english subtitles with the rip.

The MKV plays great on my HTPC. It won't play AT ALL (not *stutter*, not lip-sync issues, it won't play at all) on my Xbox.

I ran AVS4You's File Converter over night last night to create a 24 fps 1080p M2TS file from the MKV rip. I planned on trying tonight to put the M2TS file in MediaBrowser and see if that worked with my Xbox instead. That's why I asked.

Sounds like you're saying it won't... but you also indicate that your Avengers MKV is *kind of* working on Xbox, and mine isn't at all, so who knows.

Sorry, back to Echo now...
post #2627 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let's go off topic, sorry guys. Sail or Power. I am Power.

HAHA!

Power.

post #2628 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting.
Not to get too off-topic, but I just ripped Avengers using MakeMKV as well. Took the DTS audio and the english subtitles with the rip.
The MKV plays great on my HTPC. It won't play AT ALL (not *stutter*, not lip-sync issues, it won't play at all) on my Xbox.
I ran AVS4You's File Converter over night last night to create a 24 fps 1080p M2TS file from the MKV rip. I planned on trying tonight to put the M2TS file in MediaBrowser and see if that worked with my Xbox instead. That's why I asked.
Sounds like you're saying it won't... but you also indicate that your Avengers MKV is *kind of* working on Xbox, and mine isn't at all, so who knows.

This is related. We're talking about supported codecs and such.

OTOH, power boating and how to do a nested quote isn't.

Back to our regularly scheduled programing

post #2629 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... but you also indicate that your Avengers MKV is *kind of* working on Xbox, and mine isn't at all, so who knows.

Yes, it was hit or miss as to the choke. More often then not it would play and I could time shift using ht ekeypad to jump to time. but it was fragile, sometimes that would crash it. I have an older elite xbox.

I have been using the xbox as a benchmark for the Echo. This whole thing has made me want to put an HTPC back in my HT and use Echo/Xbox else where in the house where needed. Not my first choice though, I have 7Mc runnig in a VM very nicely at this point and only want to use extenders ...

post #2630 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is related. We're talking about supported codecs and such.
OTOH, power boating and how to do a nested quote isn't.
Back to our regularly scheduled programing

hmmm, like we've never gone off topic before ... I would rather talk about boats then the Echo at this point. But that's me.

So how about an Echo on the Boat! I had an HD300 already which worked over a WiFi Repeater/Bridge.

post #2631 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

... but you also indicate that your Avengers MKV is *kind of* working on Xbox, and mine isn't at all, so who knows.

Yes, it was hit or miss as to the choke. More often then not it would play and I could time shift using ht ekeypad to jump to time. but it was fragile, sometimes that would crash it. I have an older elite xbox.
I have been using the xbox as a benchmark for the Echo. This whole thing has made me want to put an HTPC back in my HT and use Echo/Xbox else where in the house where needed. Not my first choice though, I have 7Mc runnig in a VM very nicely at this point and only want to use extenders ...

I have 2 very different xbox's. I was an "early adopter" (back in my gaming days), with a 20 Gig white box with Component/Optical output. And when I became a HTPC user (about 10 months ago), I bought a $200 black XBox Arcade with a 4 Gig Drive and HDMI out. I use them both heavily as Extenders. They do great streaming .wtv recordings out of my InfiniTV.

My Avengers MKV doesn't play on either of them. I was under the impression that the problem was because Avengers doesn't have a Dolby Digital audio option, and DTS just doesn't work on XBox. That's why I wanted to try the M2TS; I'd read on an Xbox Support Forum somewhere that XBox does well with M2TS. That's also why I'm in this thread... hoping to hear that the DTS problem that (I believe) plagues XBox would be fixed with the Echo...

Did you rip any subtitles when you made your MKV? I've only been ripping BluRay for about 3 days now, so I'm new to all of this, but it is my understanding that both DTS and Subtitles can be very troublesome for Xbox...
post #2632 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 199
bluray and xbox don't play well together at all.

I have some older and/or more basic bluray discs, such as Enemy of the State, which was encoded with MPEG2 video and a Dolby Digital soundtrack. I was able to remux that right into a wtv container and it plays great.

Most of them its a lost cause though.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #2633 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I have 2 very different xbox's. I was an "early adopter" (back in my gaming days), with a 20 Gig white box with Component/Optical output. And when I became a HTPC user (about 10 months ago), I bought a $200 black XBox Arcade with a 4 Gig Drive and HDMI out. I use them both heavily as Extenders. They do great streaming .wtv recordings out of my InfiniTV.
My Avengers MKV doesn't play on either of them. I was under the impression that the problem was because Avengers doesn't have a Dolby Digital audio option, and DTS just doesn't work on XBox. That's why I wanted to try the M2TS; I'd read on an Xbox Support Forum somewhere that XBox does well with M2TS. That's also why I'm in this thread... hoping to hear that the DTS problem that (I believe) plagues XBox would be fixed with the Echo...
Did you rip any subtitles when you made your MKV? I've only been ripping BluRay for about 3 days now, so I'm new to all of this, but it is my understanding that both DTS and Subtitles can be very troublesome for Xbox...

I have 4 different versions, although only three work. I have the original that I got right at launch (still working), one of the first with HDMI (not working), the last version before the slim (still working), and an xbox slim. All of them are too loud in my opinion, although YMMV. The slim is in my theater room and is no louder than the fan on the projector, so it's the only one I'm willing to live with as an extender.
post #2634 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:

psuKinger - I use multiple xboxes for extenders as well. It depends on what DTS working means to you on the xbox. Xbox will downsample DTS and play 2ch just fine. Do you have DivxMF installed on the HTPC? You need this and Haali for any type of mkv playback on the xbox (DivxMF being the key component for Xbox).
post #2635 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

bluray and xbox don't play well together at all.
I have some older and/or more basic bluray discs, such as Enemy of the State, which was encoded with MPEG2 video and a Dolby Digital soundtrack. I was able to remux that right into a wtv container and it plays great.
Most of them its a lost cause though.

I made a real nice rip of Get Smart, which only has a Dolby Digital sound track... that one works great. Sounds similar to your Enemy of the State rip in that regard.

The other 3-4 I've tried so far have been anywhere from complete failures (but I'm not experienced enough yet to pinpoint how much of that *failure* is due to user error and how much of that is due to Xbox error) to small-but-annoying lip-sync/stutter issues.
post #2636 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... Did you rip any subtitles when you made your MKV? I've only been ripping BluRay for about 3 days now, so I'm new to all of this, but it is my understanding that both DTS and Subtitles can be very troublesome for Xbox...

No subs at all. And yes the audio choked (No Audio) when I tried the Avenger MKV. I used MakeMKV and selected the second file not the first. I also used the 2D disc which came with the 3D BD set. Not sure if that makes a differance or not (it shouldn't). Also the MKV can't be watched really, no audio and the Video is not very stable. So I am not saying that this works. The file is ~23mbps and the xbox really can only handle <20mbps from what I have experienced. So even M2TS (MPEG2) files should, the bit rate shouldn't.

The M2TS converter is "mkv2vob".

post #2637 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

psuKinger - I use multiple xboxes for extenders as well. It depends on what DTS working means to you on the xbox. Xbox will downsample DTS and play 2ch just fine. Do you have DivxMF installed on the HTPC? You need this and Haali for any type of mkv playback on the xbox (DivxMF being the key component for Xbox).

Or LAV, I believe.

post #2638 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Or LAV, I believe.

Ya, LAV works too biggrin.gif
post #2639 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

Thanks for mentioning.

I forgot you absolutly need DivxMX installed, which in some cases installs Haali Splitter as well. Haali Splitter is needed for MKV's, although some say LAV works as well.

post #2640 of 7721 Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

That is all I use.. LAV Splitter, LAV video and LAV Audio..

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page