AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread

551K views 8K replies 371 participants last post by  Bob Sorel 
#1 ·

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/10/c...nder-hands-on/

excellent news. I really thought Ceton might do something like this as a way to continue to add value to the platform.

Minimum System Requirements:
  • Display with HDMI input
  • Wired Ethernet network
  • PC with Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Media Center. A PC with a TV tuner is required for TV and DVR features.

Tech Specs:
  • Size: 3.9" x 0.8" x 4.3"
  • Power Consumption: less than 5 watts
  • Outputs: HDMI, Optical Digital Audio (TOSLINK)
  • Other Connectors: USB 2.0, Mini USB (for power)
  • Network: Ethernet (10/100/1000)
  • Audio formats supported: Dolby Digital AC-3, MP3, PCM, WMA, WMA Pro
  • Photo formats supported: BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, TIF
  • Video formats supported: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264, WMV9

Included in the Box:
  • Ceton Echo
  • Remote control
  • USB power cable (2 m/6.5 ft.) and adapter
  • HDMI cable (1.5 m/5 ft.)
  • Ethernet cable (1.5 m/5 ft.)
  • Quick Start Guide

Warranty:
  • 1-year limited warranty

[edit] - since they are creating two distinct products, I thought I would change the thread title to focus on the Echo extender and create another thread specific to the Q DVR box based on Windows 7 Embedded.

See less See more
#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 /forum/post/21471849

the pictures with the bluray drive are for the htpc/dvr box. the extenders are much smaller and in the later pictures.

Correct -the "AV component" sized device is Q. Echo is the much smaller, more "rounded" device.

#8 ·
My question Eric is will the Echo extender be able to stream DVD and blu-ray rips? I'm talking about video_TS and BDMV. At any rate the product looks really nice. I just hope that we have the ability to stream the file formats I just mentioned. I would probably buy a Q to replace my WMC7 HTPC that already has a ceton CC device installed.

#12 ·
You should change the Title on the thread to make this an Info thread. Eric has already hinted at possibly being able to disclose some features not mentioned by Engadget in the Infinitv thread.

I think it would be better to have that info disclosed in a thread specific to the product.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/21472006

Will the extender play dvds and bds? This could be a viable replacement for my sage extenders!

This is what I want to know, that and if it will support (either the Q directly or via a "regular" 7MC machine) HDPVRs or Collossi for those of us who hate our local cable companies with an unhealthy passion.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/21472570

This is what I want to know, that and if it will support (either the Q directly or via a "regular" 7MC machine) HDPVRs or Collossi for those of us who hate our local cable companies with an unhealthy passion.

I doubt it since it sounds like it includes a six tuner cablecard tuner to make up the DVR portion of the box.

#17 ·
If these work as advertised....I have a TON of normal people (ie. they don't know what a forum is) with loads of cash that would buy this for their whole house (and hopefully have me install them!).

I'm talking ditching 10 fios boxes for a Q and 9 Echo's in some of these homes. I hope this comes out soon and works well!!

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/21474071

The extender looks pretty nice, but I hope it's faster than the old DMA ones. Hell, even the XBox can have a slow interface at times, so I hope this improves it.

Well...looking at purely the physical size of the extender...it does seem rather puny. If the Xbox with all the graphics horsepower in it, can seem "slow" as an Extender....well, fingers crossed.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/21474604

Only Eric knows.

While I would love you to buy an InfiniTV, we support MPEG4, as far as I know, that's all that's required to support the HDPVR

#24 ·
Hey Eric, thanks for stopping over to this thread, if you had a D* compatible InfiniTV I'd be all over it
. My real questions, or specific questions are:

Does the Q support the HD-PVR, if I got a Q, could I plug a couple HD-PVRs into it to record from Dish?

Does the extended work with "regular" 7MC machines (my reading makes it sound like it does)?

Thanks for the info, look forward to hearing more.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/21474180

Well...looking at purely the physical size of the extender...it does seem rather puny. If the Xbox with all the graphics horsepower in it, can seem "slow" as an Extender....well, fingers crossed.

In this case, size doesn't matter. what is inside does. It looks to be about the same size as sage's hd-300, and those are just as snappy as a pc client.

#26 ·
I would have waited to check this out instead of jumping to HTPC and going thru that process if I had heard this was coming. However, so many promising things have turned out to be not so much in this field. The HTPC may somehow satisfy my tinkering compulsion and is sort of a hobby, but its not a healthy hobby or obscession.... I hope this just works as advertised and is an alternative to the crappy cable satellite boxes with an interface as simple and nice as WMC or similar. I don't even watch a ton of TV or movies but like to know I can and that I can and skipping commercials on recorded TV quickly and easily and a good guide is my priority. I don't need much capacity for ripping BD as I don't archive my stuff so much but it is nice to now and then to rip an MKV for convenience if I know I can't watch or get it back right quickly. I don't know if this will do that or if you can add MakeMKV (I doubt it). But that's not a deal killer for me. Centrally located live and recorded TV network extenders 6 tuners, BD that works reliably AND over the network sounds great. But I'd still probably use Apple TV for my music and pictures etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.