Overloaded...asking simple question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have over 200 DVD's and want two simple things...having problems trying to filter through HUNDREDS of threads, ideas, tutorials, etc and trying to find my answers is nigh impossible.

I want to rip all of my movies to my HDD and when I want to watch them either through my computer, TV, etc I want to experience what you get when you put a DVD into the player.

So I want to rip a DVD with all menus, scene selection, extras, commentaries, etc and be able to play that back on my computer...

I am running Windows 7, have DVD fab, and access to many other programs should I need them (legally btw).

I don't need to do crazy full automation (yet), build a PC, or do auto updating of torrents...I honestly do NOT download movies (been "discovered" by Universal Studios over 8 years ago and have the fear of them finding me again...no legal purposes only )

Thank you for the help...sometimes AVS can be an AMAZING resource, or an overwhelming wealth of confusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by draconiuslives View Post

I have over 200 DVD's and want two simple things...having problems trying to filter through HUNDREDS of threads, ideas, tutorials, etc and trying to find my answers is nigh impossible.

I want to rip all of my movies to my HDD and when I want to watch them either through my computer, TV, etc I want to experience what you get when you put a DVD into the player.

So I want to rip a DVD with all menus, scene selection, extras, commentaries, etc and be able to play that back on my computer...

I am running Windows 7, have DVD fab, and access to many other programs should I need them (legally btw).

I don't need to do crazy full automation (yet), build a PC, or do auto updating of torrents...I honestly do NOT download movies (been "discovered" by Universal Studios over 8 years ago and have the fear of them finding me again...no legal purposes only )

Thank you for the help...sometimes AVS can be an AMAZING resource, or an overwhelming wealth of confusion.

I guess, what exactly is your question? You dont want to build a pc, but you want to rip to HD? Do you have/want a server? Or are you going to keep all the rips in your current computer? What are you going to use to watch on other TV's?
Need input!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:48 AM

Liked: 10
If you don't see the need for re-author the DVD in any way you simply need two applications:
AnyDvd to remove the copy protection.
DVD fab ripper or similar

I would recommend that you rip to video_ts-folders, do not rip to iso as it will make things harder for you when it comes to playback.

I'm about to rip my newly purchased X-files box an it kills me to watch the FBI warnings for my legally obtained DVD:s. I haven't found a simple and functional way to remove it yet.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Use DVDFab DVD Copy-Full Disc option. Rip/Copy your legal purchased DVDs to your harddrive (maybe to a folder called DVDs). It will un-encrypt them and put each one in a folder named like the disc. You can change that name a bit if you want to.

You can play them back in Windows Media Center, VLC (good free player), or XBMC for Windows (and lots of others ... but those are some of the popular ones). That's it.

That's pretty much what we all are doing I think. Install another HDD when you run out of space or get a large external drive. Get a remote control and/or hook it up to the TV and amp if you want to later. Or don't ... it's really up to you.

If you want to watch your movies in the living room without a computer, you can get one of these:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homee.../mediaplayers/

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 AM

Tesla1856:

I'm not 100% sure but a friends has a WD TV live and it doesn not support DVD playback. But maybe that has changed in a new verison/revision?

Also: Any suggestions regarding removing FBI Warnings etc? I've tried AnyDVD at it does not work 100% and it will be a real pain doing it manaually with vob-blanker etc.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xophile View Post

Tesla1856:

I'm not 100% sure but a friends has a WD TV live and it doesn not support DVD playback. But maybe that has changed in a new verison/revision?

Also: Any suggestions regarding removing FBI Warnings etc? I've tried AnyDVD at it does not work 100% and it will be a real pain doing it manaually with vob-blanker etc.

The new models play VIDEO_TS (DVD) folders just fine. The small one ("WD TV Live SMP" without the internal HDD) is less than $100 at BestBuy.

I use DVDFab. It will do the whole disc (with warnings, previews, menus, extras, etc.) just like popping the real disk into the DVD player.
-Or -
You can also do "Main Movie Only". You will get the exact movie and sound, but that's it. Sort of like the old DVDs ... you insert the disk and the movie starts. Good way to drop the warnings and previews ... but you also lose the main menu (and extras ... if any) ... so not perfect. You can still skip chapters, and access Subtitles and secondary audio tracks from your DVD software player.

Currently, those are the only 2 ways I rip them. To do anything more, I think you have to re-author the disc or maybe use that program you mentioned. I tend to take the easy way (full disc) and move onto something else. I figure that's how the real disc would play, so that's good enough for me.

Edit: DVDFab also usually removes the Prohibited Operations ... so you can usually chapter skip or FF right past the warnings and previews.

Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 AM

Thanks for your reply!

I'll try DVD Fab (you mean DVD Ripper, right?) and see how it goes regarding the FBI Warnings etc.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

I guess, what exactly is your question? You dont want to build a pc, but you want to rip to HD? Do you have/want a server? Or are you going to keep all the rips in your current computer? What are you going to use to watch on other TV's?
Need input!

My question is how to rip the DVD (Keep the Video_TS, go the mkv route, go .iso...etc) and then if I do use Video_TS how would you watch it and it knows it is the entire dvd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Use DVDFab DVD Copy-Full Disc option. Rip/Copy your legal purchased DVDs to your harddrive (maybe to a folder called DVDs). It will un-encrypt them and put each one in a folder named like the disc. You can change that name a bit if you want to.

You can play them back in Windows Media Center, VLC (good free player), or XBMC for Windows (and lots of others ... but those are some of the popular ones). That's it.

That's pretty much what we all are doing I think. Install another HDD when you run out of space or get a large external drive. Get a remote control and/or hook it up to the TV and amp if you want to later. Or don't ... it's really up to you.

If you want to watch your movies in the living room without a computer, you can get one of these:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homee.../mediaplayers/

Many thanks. I ripped through DVDFab and got the Video_TS/Audio_TS folders and didn't know how to play them. I have TMT, but for some reason the sound wouldn't play through. And when I do build my HTPC I will certainly go way more advanced and more automated.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

If the sound won't play, then you need to make sure that TMT is configured properly as well as the sound card in your machine.
We could trouble-shoot this all day with various possible configurations, but would need to know exactly how yours is setup.
Running this on your computer? PC speakers? Do other sounds work from those speakers? Running this through your tv? Connected via hdmi? vga? component? composite?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Many thanks.

I ripped through DVDFab and got the Video_TS/Audio_TS folders and didn't know how to play them. I have TMT, but for some reason the sound wouldn't play through. And when I do build my HTPC I will certainly go way more advanced and more automated.

Sure, no problem.

I don't use or really know about TMT (just that it's a commercial player ... similar to PowerDVD).

VLC will play them. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Support to play DVD folders is all contained within the program itself (no additional codecs are required ... nor does it install anything extra like codecs). You can install it and it will not change the operation of TMT (you can still use either one or both).

Since you have Windows-7 ... you can also use Windows Media Center. However, I think you might have to do a little Registry change to get the VIDEO_TS DVD folders to show up in the Video Library.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If your kind of new to all this - it can get pretty complicated fast - finding programs to manage your media, downlaod cover art and discriptions, display it on a 10ft UI, load the best player, renderer, filiters/splitter, etc. Then keep everything updated.

Do yourself a favor and buy the program JRiver Media Center ($50). It has a free trial. Load it up, go to JRiver forum (ask for some setup help, if you need it) and you won't ever look back.
http://www.jriver.com/index.html
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

So for people that have crazy advanced systems, do they generally rip them as the video_ts/audio_ts or into another format?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So for people that have crazy advanced systems, do they generally rip them as the video_ts/audio_ts or into another format?

If you have the space (each DVD will take 5-9gb) VIDEO_TS is the way to go because it's exactly what is on the disc anyway (just un-encrypted). You should never have to re-rip that disc again (and when you are doing hundreds, that's important).

They will always play and be supported on popular systems (again ... because it's in DVD format). I don't think the ability to play DVDs is going to be dropped from any systems any time soon.

It hard to say what "everyone" does, but I know I do it this way, and I know lots of other people do it this way.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Tesla for ALL your help! Time to get to ripping my massive collection.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Liked: 18
If your a newbie your best bet would be something simpiler like MakeMKV (for HD or Blu Ray ), or AnyDVD/Clone DVD2 (for standard DVD) to rip all your movies... simple interface simple options. As for playing them another option is Media Browser with Shark007 codecs installed.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 146
A lot of confusing suggestions in here.

The very basic way to get your DVDs ripped into a format to play like the DVD is in the DVD player is to use the DVDFab DVD Copy Full Disc (paid)/DVDFab HD Decrypter (free). This will rip them as VIDEO_TS directories. This will also remove protections that prevent you from skipping right to the main disc menu.

Windows Media Center can automatically recognize these directories and treats them as DVDs. You don't need any special codecs to play them. The built-in Microsoft DTV/DVD Decoder knows how to play them, including bitstreaming Dolby Digital 5.1.

What you'll likely run into however is that you won't like the way they show up in Windows Media Center. The covers, synopsis, etc. will most likely not be correct. For that, there are many options including Media Browser or simple metadata editing programs. That's more of a religious debate so I'll leave that to other threads/contributors.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
draconiuslives,

I came to this forum asking all the same questions and getting all the different answers.

I probably would still be asking your questions if I did not discover Assassin's Guides.

All of your questions and many more you don't even know enough to ask yet will be answered- and it would save you hours of your time and frustration.

It would literally take you step by step through what you want to do..

Also- You will understand better because he obviously spent hundreds of hours making them, editing them, and making sure it makes the most sense possible.

It's light years beyond the help you get in a forum where the poster does not even have enough time to spell check his reply, let alone proof read it and make sure it is as complete and comprehensible as possible.

Big difference IMO.

Take my advice and check them out- You will be very happy you did.

I am almost 100% sure if you did not think it worth it- he would probably just refund your $$$ anyways. He is like that.

Give it a shot. You will thank me later. You will Thank him a lot more though...

-mike

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

I started off like you, wanting the full menus and chapters. Then I decided that I really just wanted the movie; I really hate the chapters and menus now, and wound up re-ripping. What I really wanted was a great interface to search my movies/shows, and lots of eye candy.

Here's how I do it:

Use MakeMKV to rip the main movie and main audio track. This does not compress the movie, and can rip both BD and DVD into MKV format. Very easy to use; the result is a single .MKV file with chapters (yes, the chapters are pulled into the MKV) but NO MENU (so, if you're set on that, this won't work for you).

Take those files and put each file in it's own directory:

\\Rango\\Rango.MKV

Use Media Center Master to pull down the metadata (this is critical, without the metadata, the system works fine, but is ugly). It will put a bunch of files in that directory. At this point, the ripping part is complete.

For playback, I use MediaBrowser. Point it at the directory above and get ready to have your jaw drop (it's so pretty it's distracting, I find myself just browsing my movies). I've setup MediaBrowser to use Media Player Classic-HC as my player, it gives me much more functionality. If you're only doing DVDs (and not BluRay) you probably don't need to do this step, the primary reason for me using an external player is to allow playback of the HD audio codecs.

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfink View Post

If you're only doing DVDs (and not BluRay) you probably don't need to do this step, the primary reason for me using an external player is to allow playback of the HD audio codecs.

You don't need MPC-HC to do this, btw.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Good point; I've done it a few different ways, I've just found that MPC-HC was more flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

You don't need MPC-HC to do this, btw.

My Onkyo 3008 (non-professional) review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=19539055
Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

WHOA!!! Just stuck a blu ray into my player to rip it and DAYUM!!!! 60GB for full disc and 30 GB for Movie only!

Looks like I will have to keep those around for some time.

Thanks for all the help on other aspects!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WHOA!!! Just stuck a blu ray into my player to rip it and DAYUM!!!! 60GB for full disc and 30 GB for Movie only!

Looks like I will have to keep those around for some time.

Thanks for all the help on other aspects!

Movie only is all you can really do anyway. Should be 25-30gb.

Drop back to only DD/DTS "Core" 5.1 ... now you are down to 20-25gb ... this is still with no compression. That's what I prefer . Really only about the space of 2-3 DVD9s. Looks and sounds much better than even the best DVDs ... especially if you are running a big screen or projector.

Then, (I don't, but) you can run it through Handbrake (or similar) and compress about 25-40% more without hardly any loss in video quality.

You can always pop the real disc into the Blu-Ray player ... but try it. At least do your favorite movies (I suggest full quality rips for those).