Old 06-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwc View Post

I have Cox Cable and yes, there are analog channels. But, all of them are duplicated on the digital side. Don't know if that's true with all cable systems. And, all the digital channels are in both SD and HD. The network channels are in the clear, the rest are encrypted.

I'm sure the only reason for analog channels is compatibility with no-box crt TV's. At some future date, all will be digital.

Same here, not sure why you would want the analog channels if the digital version is available
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwc View Post

I have Cox Cable and yes, there are analog channels. But, all of them are duplicated on the digital side. Don't know if that's true with all cable systems. And, all the digital channels are in both SD and HD. The network channels are in the clear, the rest are encrypted.

Well I've got about 60 channels that (I'd need to double check but) according to my cable box diagnostic menus aren't duplicated digitally.

Quote:

I'm sure the only reason for analog channels is compatibility with no-box crt TV's. At some future date, all will be digital.

I'm sure they will, but I have no idea when that will be and despite most of the channels I'm interested in being HD and Clear QAM (my provider actually has about 40 HD channels Clear), there's still a couple that are analog. And that could nearly be a non-starter for the Q, which otherwise is looking quite attractive now that I'm on FTTH from our good cable provider (not regular cable from our crappy one).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Well I've got about 60 channels that (I'd need to double check but) according to my cable box diagnostic menus aren't duplicated digitally.

That's just not right ! ( the cable system, not you !)

Maybe a conversation with your cable provider ?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 266
USB tuner support was asked for early in this thread. Not just for analog cable, but also for ATSC OTA.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Right, I remember that, but that seemed to be in the context of people wanting to supliment their "complete" QAM/CableCard lineup with higher quality OTA. While I understand this, I can see how from a business perspective that would be an incredibly tiny niche to satisfy and one that doesn't really "gain" much. What I mean is OTA isn't really "necessary" to the experience since those channels are available through the cablecard.

I brought up NTSC because it didn't seems like it hadn't been discussed before, the possibility that a lot of someone's paid-for channels might not be available on the Q if it only supports QAM. That to me seems much closer to a showstopper/dealbreaker and a limitation I don't believe other DVR solutions that the Q would be going up against have.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Right, I remember that, but that seemed to be in the context of people wanting to supliment their "complete" QAM/CableCard lineup with higher quality OTA. While I understand this, I can see how from a business perspective that would be an incredibly tiny niche to satisfy and one that doesn't really "gain" much. What I mean is OTA isn't really "necessary" to the experience since those channels are available through the cablecard.

I brought up NTSC because it didn't seems like it hadn't been discussed before, the possibility that a lot of someone's paid-for channels might not be available on the Q if it only supports QAM. That to me seems much closer to a showstopper/dealbreaker and a limitation I don't believe other DVR solutions that the Q would be going up against have.

The other use for HD OTA channels is to simply give you more than 6 tuners to work with for those times when you're recording a bunch of shows and/or have a bunch of extenders watching different Live TV programming. I wouldn't say it happens frequently for me, but often enough that 6 tuners with no way to supplement them just wouldn't be sufficient.

And I'm pretty sure that analog cable channels did come up in that earlier discussion about the ability to add external tuners to the Q.

In any event, they're both perfectly valid requests that probably require the same amount of effort on Ceton's part (to simply support drivers for external tuners).
Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also have a cable system that has about 100 channels in analog only. The cable company has no interest in simulcasting in digital either. I hope that the Q will have the ability to add an ntsc usb tuner.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Any idea if the blueray will support 3D?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Did anyone see the video on missingremote? I think that he said something about hooking it up to an xbox 360. I wonder what that means.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 266
Xbox 360's are WMC extenders and will work with the Q since it's running WMC embedded, not sure what you're asking about.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Xbox 360's are WMC extenders and will work with the Q since it's running WMC embedded, not sure what you're asking about.

I don't know if I was tired or what, but for some strange reason, I had a totally different thought. Of course he was talking about extender capabilities (which is how I currently use my xbox).

Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM

Can someone give me a hand?? I just got FIOS at my new house, when I discovered Ceton. They are coming to install wednesday, but at 10$ a box, it is costing me 30$ extra a month for all 3 tv's. I heard Verizon is coming out with a media box in the near future, but was curious if I am able to drop the 3 boxes from Verizon and buy a ceton device, would it be worth it?

I don't know which device is best for me. I do not have a desktop at the new house yet so the PCIE card is a no go. It seems like the ECHO will not work without the Q, and I do not need the Q unless it comes in really cheap..like under 400$. Maybe not even then. Is my best bet the InfiniTV running off of a laptop? If I went with that, could I power all 3 TV's with just 1 CableCard from Verizon? It seems simple enough...I doubt Verizon will change my order at this time but it may be worth trying. Am I going to lose anything or notice anything different from using the InfiniTV Rather than Verizon's three boxes? As in, can I still watch the HD channels, and not lose any of the channels I am paying for? Just seems to good to be true. Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Take a look also at the silicondust HDHomerun Prime. It is networked attached so all pc's on your network can share the tuners.
Either way you can watch all channels you pay for. You cannot watch VOD or PPV.

Can you spell out more specs on the laptop?

OS
processor
RAM
Outputs (HDMI?)

The Echo is a Media Center Extender designed to work with any PC with Microsoft Media Center that is connected to your network and the Q or InfiniTV4 are not required to the best I can gather.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Thanks! If I have 3 tv's in the house, and I have one of these devices connected to a laptop, how do I get the channels on the TV? just plug the laptop into the tv? Just confused how the devices work...will the video quality be reduced?

The laptop is old...my wife has a newer Toshiba, but my laptop (the old one i am using now) is running Windows 7 Home premium, 2GB RAM 1.8G AMD Turion 64 X2 processor.

I plan on getting a nice desktop in the near future, but do not have it just yet. Ideally, I would rent the boxes from Verizon until I have the computer later in the year, and then return the boxes...but with a two year agreement I think that means I have to keep and pay for all 3 boxes during my two year agreement. That's why I am trying to figure out if I should call them and try to drop the 3 boxes and get a cablecard, or just suck it up for 2 years and see what is available then? Since they are coming Wednesday I don't even know that they will drop the boxes at this point...but that's a total of 720$ over two years for the three boxes...or 199$ for a Ceton device. So it may be worth calling and arguing. Thanks again!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

You need to activate Windows Media Center on your laptop. Go to programs and search tor it.

I don't think your laptop has the huevos to pass the digilal cable advisor test and run a CableCARD tuner.

If it does pass, you can use the silicondst Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB, the Silicondust HDHomerun Prime or the Hauppauge HVR-2650 as all three of these devices. Suppot multi stream cableCARDs.

What connector do you have from the laptop to the HDTV monitor? HDMI, DVI or VGA?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:31 PM

Looks like just a regular ol' VGA. Not great for HDMI viewing. In the event I get my desktop later on, will the InfiniTV USB device work with it? Is the PCIE card drastically better?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigalosis View Post

Ideally, I would rent the boxes from Verizon until I have the computer later in the year, and then return the boxes...but with a two year agreement I think that means I have to keep and pay for all 3 boxes during my two year agreement.
The contract is for the service, not the boxes. You can add or remove boxes or switch to cablecard without changing the contract.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigalosis View Post

Thanks! If I have 3 tv's in the house, and I have one of these devices connected to a laptop, how do I get the channels on the TV? just plug the laptop into the tv? Just confused how the devices work...will the video quality be reduced?
The laptop is old...my wife has a newer Toshiba, but my laptop (the old one i am using now) is running Windows 7 Home premium, 2GB RAM 1.8G AMD Turion 64 X2 processor.
I plan on getting a nice desktop in the near future, but do not have it just yet. Ideally, I would rent the boxes from Verizon until I have the computer later in the year, and then return the boxes...but with a two year agreement I think that means I have to keep and pay for all 3 boxes during my two year agreement. That's why I am trying to figure out if I should call them and try to drop the 3 boxes and get a cablecard, or just suck it up for 2 years and see what is available then? Since they are coming Wednesday I don't even know that they will drop the boxes at this point...but that's a total of 720$ over two years for the three boxes...or 199$ for a Ceton device. So it may be worth calling and arguing. Thanks again!

You need to read up a bit more; what you want to do is not going to work as you currently understand.

You need at least 1 pc, your current laptop is likely not powerful enough to be this pc. To this pc you will hook up the ceton tuner (either usb or pcie *to be clear not the Q which is a different device*) and the cable from the cable company will plug into the ceton tuner. You will have all HD channels but no on demand.

You can hook this pc up to a tv or have it act like a "server" with no display. If you have it act as a server you will need to have an extender (xbox 360 or when released the ceton echo) or another PC on the same network as the server PC (this network should be wired or you will almost certainly have problems streaming tv stably). This extender/pc will then be hooked to the tv and will act as the GUI for the tv's cable experience.

For the other 2 tvs you can either hook up additional networked PC's or extenders, however there are limitations to either approach that you will need to research.

In short its not as simple as buying the ceton card and being able to watch tv all over your house. At the very least you will need:

1. a more powerful pc
2. a cable card tuner
3. 2 extenders

This is assuming that your house is already wired for cat5 at each tv.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

You need to read up a bit more; what you want to do is not going to work as you currently understand.
You need at least 1 pc, your current laptop is likely not powerful enough to be this pc. To this pc you will hook up the ceton (either usb or pcie) and the cable from the cable company will plug into the ceton. You will have all HD channels but no on demand.
You can hook this pc up to a tv or have it act like a "server" with no display. If you have it act as a server you will need to have an extender (xbox 360 or when released the ceton echo) or another PC on the same network as the server PC (this network should be wired or you will almost certainly have problems streaming tv stably). This extender/pc will then be hooked to the tv and will act as the GUI for the tv's cable experience.
For the other 2 tvs you can either hook up additional networked PC's or extenders, however there are limitations to either approach that you will need to research.
In short its not as simple as buying the ceton card and being able to watch tv all over your house. At the very least you will need:
1. a more powerful pc
2. a cable card tuner
3. 2 extenders
This is assuming that your house is already wired for cat5 at each tv.

Not only that, the Q is a stand alone device whereas the InfiniTV4 is a tuner card for a PC or Laptop running a version of Windows with Media Center. This is the Q thread. There is other threads for the InfiniTV4, the HDHR Prime and the Hauppauge 2650, all of which will in one way or another do all or some of what the poster wants.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 13
I have been reading up on the Q/Echo solution to replace my FiOS Multiroom DVR + STB's and be done with the monthly rental fees. This product sounds fantastic and I would jump at the chance to buy it (at a reasonable price). I have two questions that you might be able to answer...

1.) Would the Q be able to stream a BR to a remote HDTV with Echo? If so, I see the built in BR player to be a huge plus!

2.) I saw someone mention in this thread that they cannot skip >90% of commercials that they record with a Ceton. Is this true? If I could not skip commercials recorded by the Q I would not even consider the product - I would stick with the FiOS DVR.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes View Post

I have been reading up on the Q/Echo solution to replace my FiOS Multiroom DVR + STB's and be done with the monthly rental fees. This product sounds fantastic and I would jump at the chance to buy it (at a reasonable price). I have two questions that you might be able to answer...
1.) Would the Q be able to stream a BR to a remote HDTV with Echo? If so, I see the built in BR player to be a huge plus!
2.) I saw someone mention in this thread that they cannot skip >90% of commercials that they record with a Ceton. Is this true? If I could not skip commercials recorded by the Q I would not even consider the product - I would stick with the FiOS DVR.
Thanks

1) nothing but speculation on that for right now. bluray originally promised a technology called "managed copy" that would allow shared rips. the only similar product currently sold are the Kaleidescape systems, and they require the disc to be present in a vault to be played on a client across the network. if that is the precedent then I would imagine an Echo would be allowed to play a disc sitting inside the Q. just speculation though.

2) you can definitely fast forward and rewind on any and all stations. some Windows Media Center users use a combination of pc software to automatically detect and remove commercials. that does not work on a majority of stations because of the copy protection on that network. but simply pressing the fast forward button a recording will work.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 PM

Thanks, that is good news. However, I am a 30 second skip kind of guy... I don't like to even see the commercials. Do Ceton products have a 30 second, 1 minute, etc. skip feature?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 213
These are Ceton's first consumer electronics devices.

They are based off of Windows Media Center, so assuming they didn't tweak anything one remote button skips 30 seconds, the skip back is 10 seconds, and the fast forward and rewind buttons can be pressed up to 4 times for multiple speeds.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes View Post

Thanks

I found the quote you were referring to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post

I wonder what percentage of folks running CableCards can use comskip and transcoding? I know I'm not able to use it for >90% of what I record, since everything except the locals are copy-protected by my CableCo.

That user was referring to trying to transcode and remove commercials, usually to save space but in some cases to move it to a portable device, which isn't possible on any protected channel... it was not referring to manually being able to skip back and forth while watching a show.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

now that google has announced a device called the q, I wonder if this thing when released will still be called the q.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 AM

Liked: 11
If Ceton's lawyers are worth half their salt they would've registered the Q as a trademark. That said, I'm unsure if letters can be trademarked. Its an interesting legal question. Certainly, Google was aware of Ceton's device. I smell a cat fight.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Google's device (unless I missed something) is the "Nexus Q", and I thought the Ceton's terms "Q" and "Echo" are only codenames.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

good point. all of google's docs refer to it as the nexus q. don't know about the codename part, but I like the echo name for an extender. pretty clever.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The TiVo Premiere 4-Tuner, 500GB, 75Hr DVR for MSOs only, same hardware as the Retail Elite/XL4 except 500GB/MSO version, vs 2TB/Retail version was named the "Premiere Q" before the Ceton Q was announced.

http://www.tivo.com/assets/pdfs/business/Generic_SS-2011_Q.pdf

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/13/tivo-premiere-q-and-preview-boxes-are-official-along-with-an-upd/

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

what's with the recent q fascination? is q the new i?