BTB Clipping Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HTPC wizards,
I have searched this site for answers but all I can find are posts with the same problem. No solutions or even suggestions.
I run my SB based HTPC through an Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver then to a new model Sony TV all with HDMI. Using the DVE HD basics the BTB info is getting clipped. I know it's the HTPC because the BTB bars on the test pattern show up when I replace the HTPC with a PS3 as the source.
I have set the quatization range to "Full" in the Intel graphics properties. What do I need to do to get the below black level available with my current setup?
If this has already been addressed I apologize. Please point me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Bump

Is there anyone out there with some suggestion? I don't think I've ever seen a topic get zero replies.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM

I recall my brief try with the integrated sandybridge Intel GFX being very washed out. Colors were just not right, even casual non-tech people noticed a big difference.

I strongly suggest picking up a discrete video card if you're interested in getting the best visual quality out of your HTPC.

You'll get plenty of folks on the ATI/AMD and NVIDIA sides of the fence pleading their case. I've tried both and was not able to cope with the refresh rate issues on NVIDIA (even Intel is better at this for the moment).

AMD's 5450 or 6450 are the best bang for the buck. Use 5450 for bare bones where heat concerns are high. If you've got even the slightest amount of air moving in/out of your case, then the 6450 is better at 2x the stream processors.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This review is a year old so I don't know if the drivers have been fixed since then.

Quote:

Intel’s video drivers have always clipped blacker-than-black (BTB) and whiter-than-white (WTW) by default, but it was possible to change the behavior by checking “Override Application Settings” in the “Color Enhancement” section of the settings tool. Unfortunately this does not work currently, but should return in a future driver revision to make calibration easier on the low-end and enable the flow of WTW for the content that contains it.

Source:
http://www.missingremote.com/review/intel-sandy-bridge-core-i5-2500k-and-dh67bl-motherboard
post #5 of 16 Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Vladd, thank you. I will try this over the weekend.

Can anyone else comment on the quality of the iGPU vs. a discrete video card? I have read many reviews and guides and the second response here was the first time I had read about the iGPU being "washed out".

If the screen wasn't displaying properly (i.e. washed out) isn't that something you could fix by calibrating? Unless the processing was just so terrible it was beyond repair...
post #6 of 16 Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpostlethwaite View Post

Vladd, thank you. I will try this over the weekend.

Can anyone else comment on the quality of the iGPU vs. a discrete video card? I have read many reviews and guides and the second response here was the first time I had read about the iGPU being "washed out".

This is all subjective.

I think the integrated GPU looks great and didn't notice any noticeable difference from the ATI 5450 and NVidia 430 that I tried as well. It may, however, depend on your particular setup/system.

And the Intel drivers were by far my favorite out of the three for HTPC use.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

First off, thank you Assassin.

I was fiddling with this last night and noticed that after playing a Blu-ray the quantization range would revert to "limited". I tested several times.
1.)Set quantization range in Intel graphics props to "Full"
2.)Click "apply"
3.) Load DVE.
4.)Only two black bars in pluge. no BTB bar.
5.)Check Intel graphic props. quantization range is set to "limited".

The first time I thought perhaps I had neglected to click "apply". Definitely not the case on the subsequent tests. You know when PowerDVD loads it gives the message about "windows color scheme has been changed to basic" or something along those lines. Does this "basic" color scheme have anything to do with my problem and how can I fix or work around that?
post #8 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Bump^
post #9 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Bump

Is there anyone out there with some suggestion? I don't think I've ever seen a topic get zero replies.

Well we're even. I've never seen a post with so many useless A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.S. I'd suggest that next time you spell some of it out...
post #10 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

I have set the quatization range to "Full" in the Intel graphics properties.

For me and others, the option does nothing...but one guy got it to work.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1351837
post #11 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks olyteddy. . .Do you call them "useless" acronyms because you don't know what they mean? I am sorry for your ignorance. You must have a hell of a time understanding anything in the CE (Consumer Electronics) world with so many acronyms in use. I find it curious that the three responses before you had no trouble understanding what I was saying.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Well we're even. I've never seen a post with so many useless A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.S. I'd suggest that next time you spell some of it out...

All the acronyms (which is not an acronym) he used are pretty standard:

SB : Sandy Bridge (pretty common if not standard)
HTPC : Home Theater Personal Computer (used practically everywhere)
TV : Television (used everywhere)
HDMI : High Definition Multimedia Interface (even used be the group that created the standard)
DVE : Digital Video Essentials (acronym is printed on the cover of the DVD as the title)
HD : High Definition (used everywhere and again part of the DVD title)
BTB : Blacker than black (used everywhere. AVS search returns 494 threads)
PS3 : Playstation 3 (Sony even uses this acronym for the logo)

I'm not quite sure how you could have an issue with him using any (or all) of those acronyms. If you do, blame the industry, not the OP.

I also find it ironic that in your very last post preceeding that one, you used "VCD".
post #13 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

post #14 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

So, is my best option to use a low power discrete card? Like many others, I assume, I was going for low power, low noise, somewhat low cost.

If so that's a little frustrating. I spring for the 2405S to satisfy the low power and have better graphics chops than the HD2000. I tried to do my research but did not discover this issue until after the build. Would used a lesser processor if I had planned on a discrete video card.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

All the acronyms (which is not an acronym) he used are pretty standard:

SB : Sandy Bridge (pretty common if not standard)
HTPC : Home Theater Personal Computer (used practically everywhere)
TV : Television (used everywhere)
HDMI : High Definition Multimedia Interface (even used be the group that created the standard)
DVE : Digital Video Essentials (acronym is printed on the cover of the DVD as the title)
HD : High Definition (used everywhere and again part of the DVD title)
BTB : Blacker than black (used everywhere. AVS search returns 494 threads)
PS3 : Playstation 3 (Sony even uses this acronym for the logo)

I'm not quite sure how you could have an issue with him using any (or all) of those acronyms. If you do, blame the industry, not the OP.

I also find it ironic that in your very last post preceeding that one, you used "VCD".

I was merely pointing to the fact that a post filled with acronyms (especially in the title) makes for a difficult read and that may be part of the reason there were no replies.
Quote:

As to my use of VCD for Virtual Clone Drive, you may not have noticed but at least once in that post I did spell it out.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-15-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was merely pointing to the fact that a post filled with acronyms (especially in the title) makes for a difficult read and that may be part of the reason there were no replies.

I completely disagree, taking into consideration the acronyms that were used and where it was posted, but... ok.

Quote:

As to my use of VCD for Virtual Clone Drive, you may not have noticed but at least once in that post I did spell it out.

I did notice. My point was that you also use acronyms and I'm sure you don't always spell them out.

Quote:

So, is my best option to use a low power discrete card? Like many others, I assume, I was going for low power, low noise, somewhat low cost.

If so that's a little frustrating. I spring for the 2405S to satisfy the low power and have better graphics chops than the HD2000. I tried to do my research but did not discover this issue until after the build. Would used a lesser processor if I had planned on a discrete video card.

I'm not familiar enough with the HD2000 graphics to say definitively, but it does sound like you would benefit from a discrete card if you insist on BTB. IMO, it's not worth it just for that though (unless maybe you are using a projector).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page