Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
BACKGROUND INFO:
New build Asus P8H67-V mobo, i5-2500K cpu, running Win7.
Using mobo's HDMI port. PC's monitor is connected using a DVI cable.
Using a hardwired USB mouse. My Win7 taskbar is moved to the right side.

PROBLEM:
Connected HDMI cable from mobo to a Samsung LN46D550 TV set for the first time. When I boot, the post displays on both the monitor and the TV fine. Starting windows displays fine all the way up to when the desktop is displayed.

The desktop display "on the PC monitor" has a garbled Win7 background in the top 1/3 of the screen with normal looking desktop icons and taskbar in the lower 2/3rds of the screen. The mouse pointer is not visible but when I move the mouse around, the icons on the taskbar (at the right) highlight individually depending on the mouse position. IOW, normal mouse action but without the mouse cursor.

At the same time, the "TV set" displays a normal looking desktop background without any garbling but without any desktop icons, taskbar or mouse cursor displayed.

Then I powered the TV set off and did a power on boot of the PC. Same exact symptoms on the PC screen and mouse cursor is not visible. This seems to confirm that the TV setting is not the cause. --- Then, without restarting the PC with the bad display still on the PC monitor, I disconnected the HDMI cable from the TV set. The PC's screen reset to a completely normal desktop display but the mouse cursor was still not visible.

Any suggestions?
Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-13-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

SIMPLE RECAP OF MY PROBLEM:
-------------------------------------
With computer monitor and HDMI to TV connected, when I boot and enter the BIOS display, the BIOS display is fine on both the monitor and the TV set. When I boot into Win7, the display is fine on both showing "Starting Windows 7" and the spinning icons but as soon as Win7's desktop is displayed, the computer monitor display goes haywire. Top 1/3 is garbled background, bottom 1/3 is good display of desktop icons. This symptom occurs whether I connect the computer monitor using DVI or VGA.

CONTACTED ASUS TECH SUPPORT:
----------------------------------------
I contacted Asus tech support today and the tech wasn't able to help me. First he said that the P8H67-V doesn't support two video devices simultaneously. He said I need to buy a graphics card and run the HDMI off of that.

Then I told him that that's not correct because the "BIOS screen" displays properly on both the computer monitor and the TV set simultaneously so I know the motherboard is capable of doing it. It must have something to do with Win7 and the motherboard's video driver since only the Win7 desktop cannot display properly on either the monitor or the TV set. The Asus tech then said the mobo can display on both but graphics will look better if I install a video card so I should install a video card. I politely ended the call at that point.

Any ideas here?
Sky

(I'm running the Intel graphics driver 8.15.10.2559 if that helps.)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM

Liked: 10
My understanding is you can't run DVI + HDMI simultaneously.
I have a 23" monitor running off the VGA port (onboard) and a 46" HDTV off HDMI (onboard).
post #4 of 7 Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Bios screen is totally separate. Unless it specially states, usually it's vga with hdmi OR dvi.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Bios screen is totally separate. Unless it specially states, usually it's vga with hdmi OR dvi.

+1

This is accurate.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-14-2012, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxray View Post

My understanding is you can't run DVI + HDMI simultaneously.

Yes, I thought that might be the case. I was using DVI to my PC monitor when I first connected the HDMI cable to the TV set. When I saw the goofy screen on the monitor I disconnected the DVI cable and connected a VGA cable instead. Same symptoms running VGA to monitor and HDMI to TV set.

Quote:

I have a 23" monitor running off the VGA port (onboard) and a 46" HDTV off HDMI (onboard).

Could you please let me know which version of Intel graphics driver are you're running? It can be seen by going into Device Manager > Display adapters > Intel HD Graphics Family > Rt-click > Properties > Driver tab. Also, are you running an i3, i5 or i7?

I was running Intel driver 8.15.10.2559. Had the problem so checked the Intel Download Center and it came up with 8.15.10.2509 so I installed it. Same problem, no change.

Thanks,
Sky
post #7 of 7 Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

+1
This is accurate.

Yes, I did disconnect the DVI cable and tried VGA to monitor and HDMI to TV set but exact same symptoms.

I also tried connecting only the HDMI cable to the TV set with no connection to the PC monitor. The TV set displays Post, Starting Windows, the spinning orbs, and then a black screen when Win7's desktop should be displayed. Leaving the PC as is, I disconnected the HDMI cable from the TV set and connected the VGA from the PC monitor. A proper desktop displayed on the monitor.

Any recommendation for which version of Intel HD graphics driver I should use? I'm currently running 8.15.10.2509.

Thanks,
Sky
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page