XBMC+MythTV or WMC7 for Live TV recordings? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Have you looked at Jriver Media Center? I've just started using it myself, and while it has some kinks, it's a pretty amazing program. It's a little intimidating at first, but you can use it for music, movies, and live TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodylobster View Post

I was in the same boat as you and ended up using wmc for live tv and xbmc for movies and tv shows and with the xbmc wmc plugin it makes it easy to switch between both.

This is what I do to and it works very well. The XBMC integration plugin works very well - it adds a button to WMC which launchs XBMC. Then when you close the latter, WMC re-launches automatically. The bottom line is WMC can't be beat for DVR functionality but XBMC can't be beat as a media library manager.
post #33 of 34 Old 06-25-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I use XBMC with WMC. I wanted the Metadata and Cataloging of my TV Shows and Movies like Mediabrowser but I wanted to also add Console Emulation and Streaming sources and be centralized.

Linux Live TV is half-baked. Supports Tuner card only with friendly Linux drivers. This is fine if you're starting from scratch but it took up until the last version of XBMC before Eden to support hardware acceleration for newer AMD chipsets and GPU/APU's. As I said in the Linux thread, doesn't work with my current set of tuners. = No Go

WMC just works, setup and go. It just looks rather dull and metadata it keeps is just okay, it will only display metadata for what it recorded. No posters and no fan art. Isn't that why people use Media Browser in the first place, the eye candy?

The Recorded TV solves some of this for Recorded TV on WMC, but at a cost ($30). Second Run TV 2.6 adds streaming content for $4 but I like the You Tube add-on for XBMC. Access to Subscriptions, My Watch Later and its set to only show the best quality content, IE no 240p or whatever unless that's the only version of the file available. Marks content already watched, fantastic!

The important thing to remember with using MCM or the another scrapper is (even MB) is folder/file structure. Otherwise, metadata will get knackered and you'll get strange links to theTVDB, TV Rage or IMDB.

Also instead of adding all these codec packs to Windows Media Center to play say MKV's why not just play them back in XBMC? No codecs, works by default.

Now if I can only get the "Info" button my MCE to work as the "C" button in XBMC and still have standard WMC functionality outside of XBMC....

I just finished messing with my folder structure to fix any errors with Advanced Launcher.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #34 of 34 Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 View Post

This is what I do to and it works very well. The XBMC integration plugin works very well - it adds a button to WMC which launchs XBMC. Then when you close the latter, WMC re-launches automatically. The bottom line is WMC can't be beat for DVR functionality but XBMC can't be beat as a media library manager.

There's Plex.... Which I have looked into running the server client on my WHS 2011, since that's where the content is.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page