Near perfect, crisp, clear, sharp Blu Ray Movies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
DavidML3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
and any other adjectives that come to mind. How can I achieve this? I want the best picture possible. I want this machine to be as good as a stand alone or better in terms of PQ. Do I need to get some special software or anything?

Setup:
I3-2100
GTX 560 Ti
12 Gig Ram
1.5 TB 7200 RPM
Sony Optiarc BD-5300S Blu ray Drive

Tv Samsung LN52A650
DavidML3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Many will direct your toward using Madvr.

Start a search there.
assassin is offline  
post #3 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Wow, that's ridiculous ram
jeffkro is offline  
post #4 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Newbie
 
Nespresco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Many will direct your toward using Madvr.

Start a search there.

I am also interested in this, my research suggests that software is the key to making the HTPC as 'transparent' as possible.

As long as it can bitstream HD audio and output the correct 24fps (23.976) frame rate, to what extent can better hardware improve sound and picture quality?
Nespresco is offline  
post #5 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM
ymc
Member
 
ymc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Wow, that's ridiculous ram

I have 64GB. Does that mean I should be locked in a mental institution?
ymc is offline  
post #6 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jdcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 1,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc View Post

I have 64GB. Does that mean I should be locked in a mental institution?

No, it just means that anything over 8GB at the maximum is simply not being used on an HTPC, and simply drawing power. If you use the HTPC for other uses, maybe, but most arent doing CAD work on their HTPC!
jdcrox is offline  
post #7 of 47 Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
balky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

No, it just means that anything over 8GB at the maximum is simply not being used on an HTPC, and simply drawing power. If you use the HTPC for other uses, maybe, but most arent doing CAD work on their HTPC!

Even if you're doing CAD work...
Are we still talking about a PC for home use?
I'm only trying to imagine the kind of mobo that will take 64G RAM inside a machine at home...
Please educate me...
balky is offline  
post #8 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MrBobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When a $70 BR player does a decent job, one has to ask, why go through all these trouble?

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

MrBobb is offline  
post #9 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I heard that even a lot of recent game titles can't address over 4 gigs of ram. I have 8 gigs in my gaming rig and for most of what it does its overkill. But for a gaming rig I didn't want to be short ram. If I could have bought 6 gigs for cheaper I would have but ram isn't really marketed in 3 gig sticks.
jeffkro is offline  
post #10 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

When a $70 BR player does a decent job, one has to ask, why go through all these trouble?

To get a dvr, streamer, disc player, media Juke box, all in one device.
jeffkro is offline  
post #11 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Artslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

When a $70 BR player does a decent job, one has to ask, why go through all these trouble?

There are many things in life that require a little more effort to achieve something better... and then there are some people always looking for the easy way out.
Artslinger is offline  
post #12 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
DavidML3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

To get a dvr, streamer, disc player, media Juke box, all in one device.

Also in my case gaming and video editing and programming too. Can't do that on a PS3
DavidML3 is offline  
post #13 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
CountryBumkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nespresco View Post

I am also interested in this, my research suggests that software is the key to making the HTPC as 'transparent' as possible.

As long as it can bitstream HD audio and output the correct 24fps (23.976) frame rate, to what extent can better hardware improve sound and picture quality?

Check out JRiver Media Center. It has a free trial if you want to take it for a test drive - but be warned it is very powerful/complicated so it takes some time to understand it and set it up. If you do try it, be sure to ask for help on their forum if you get stuck.
Good luck
CountryBumkin is offline  
post #14 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Member
 
Tree Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Generally speaking the difference in PQ between different players is so small, you will never notice.

I have not had very good luck playing BRs on my PC (lock ups and disks that won't play or stop part of the way through). I have found it easier to rip them with MakeMKV, compress them with Handbrake, and play them in VLC or MPC-HC.

I am actually now in the market for a true media center as using windows is cumbersome when you just want to pop a movie on. I am currently torn between a Boxee Box and a Revue.

Gamer Tag: Atomic TreeDude
Tree Dude is offline  
post #15 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
DavidML3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So JRiver with MadVr is what I need?
DavidML3 is offline  
post #16 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zon2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Dude View Post

Generally speaking the difference in PQ between different players is so small, you will never notice.

I have not had very good luck playing BRs on my PC (lock ups and disks that won't play or stop part of the way through). I have found it easier to rip them with MakeMKV, compress them with Handbrake, and play them in VLC or MPC-HC.

I am actually now in the market for a true media center as using windows is cumbersome when you just want to pop a movie on. I am currently torn between a Boxee Box and a Revue.

I've found Win DVD Pro to work well for playing BR disks. It's the only thing I use it for, but it's been pretty painless.

They have it on sale all the time on the Corel site for about $50, and they have a free trial I believe. I'm not that heavy a BR player, so I may not be a good example and maybe it has trouble with some new disks. But it's worth a shot before you give up.
Zon2020 is offline  
post #17 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Heuer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You could always create a RAM disc with anything spare above 4Gb to speed things up in WMC live TV buffer, but ideally you need 16Gb free to make best use of a RAM disc.

To get the sort of picture quality I wanted from my HTPC to my Panasonic Viera P65VT30 I ended up with an i3, GT430, MPC-HC, MadVR, ffdshow, and Reclock. Took a while but the experience is true cinema when watching 1080p mkv's with no jerkiness in side pans. Well worth the effort.
Heuer is offline  
post #18 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidML3 View Post

So JRiver with MadVr is what I need?

Just JRiver is enough. It'll automatically download, install and configure the components you need, including MadVR if you specify high quality output (Red October HQ).
fitbrit is online now  
post #19 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
DavidML3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Just JRiver is enough. It'll automatically download, install and configure the components you need, including MadVR if you specify high quality output (Red October HQ).

Awesome thanks
DavidML3 is offline  
post #20 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
nwboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Powell River, BC Canada
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Just JRiver is enough. It'll automatically download, install and configure the components you need, including MadVR if you specify high quality output (Red October HQ).

+1 for JRiver Media Center 17. There is a bit of a learning curve to doing some things with it, but for video they have recently made it super easy - no more of your having to download a whole bunch of different stuff. And with your powerful machine you can easily take advantage of Red October High Quality.

With Any DVD, or DVD Fab installed on your machine you can do the ripping of DVDs and Blue Rays in JRiver.

It looks like automatic metadata scraping may be happening soon, so probably the last weak link will be taken care of.

I'm sure you can tell I'm real pleased with JRiver MC17!

Rod
nwboater is offline  
post #21 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Member
 
Ryan00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is using jriver and red really going to give you better picture and sound. I mean you can only get as good as your source. Lol I have been using wmc and tmt5 can I do better?
Ryan00 is offline  
post #22 of 47 Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan00 View Post

Is using jriver and red really going to give you better picture and sound. I mean you can only get as good as your source. Lol I have been using wmc and tmt5 can I do better?

Madvr greatest effect on interlaced non-hd formats and very large 1oo+ inch screens. Beware of the placebo effect.
assassin is offline  
post #23 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BizarroTerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: San Jose, CA USA
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So for HD material is there really any difference? I've been running XBMC and wondering if MPC-HC or JRiver would be an improvement. It seems everyone likes to promote what they're using and I haven't been able to find a decent comparison that addresses video quality.

(60" GT30 and 110" Epson UB).
BizarroTerl is offline  
post #24 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

So for HD material is there really any difference? I've been running XBMC and wondering if MPC-HC or JRiver would be an improvement. It seems everyone likes to promote what they're using and I haven't been able to find a decent comparison that addresses video quality.

(60" GT30 and 110" Epson UB).

I don't know about XBMC. You can get identical picture quality in MPC and JRiver. The only differences are that MPC is more work to configure (but there are guides), and JRiver is much easier, but not free after the 30 day trial.

I use a 61" screen and a 120" screen and I can absolutely tell the difference between using MadVR and not if toggling between them. I also am very sensitive to playing back 23.976 fps material at 24.00 Hz. Assassin can dismiss both phenomena as placebo, but the truth is that some people do notice and others don't.
fitbrit is online now  
post #25 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
tomandbeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

There are many things in life that require a little more effort to achieve something better... and then there are some people always looking for the easy way out.

Perhaps. But when it comes to being with the family to watch a BR, with the least amount of problems, a standalone BR player has benefits.

Don't get me wrong, I love my HTPC. I just got tired of all the crud to enjoy BR on it, so picked up a Panny 110 with Avatar 3D movie for a bit over a c-note. With this I can use the DJNA (sp??) client to other TVs in the house, and control it using an Itouch.

It's a big world. Some can get their HTPC to play BR flawlessly, and some would just as soon add a dedicated player. Can we all just get along?
tomandbeth is offline  
post #26 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Assassin can dismiss both phenomena as placebo, but the truth is that some people do notice and others don't.

Isn't this exactly what I have said ad nauseam on avs?

For some people its revolutionary. For others they want to see something but might not. I'm in the latter on my specific setup with the eyes that I have in my sockets and the brain I have in my head.

But to say that madvr is going to definitely give you a dramatically better pq no matter what just isn't accurate.

With all that being said it does have the potential to offer the best pq.
assassin is offline  
post #27 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,059
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Isn't this exactly what I have said ad nauseam on avs?

For some people its revolutionary. For others they want to see something but might not. I'm in the latter on my specific setup with the eyes that I have in my sockets and the brain I have in my head.

Sorry if it sounded harsher than I meant it to be - I get lazy typing posts on my iPhone. I seemed to recall you feeling that people were being excessively picky/overblowing the situation about one frame in a thousand or so being skipped/duplicated. I know more recently you concede that its subjective. It really is! I don't have that averse a reaction to 3:2 pulldown; watching 23.976 fps material at 60Hz is okay for me - at 24Hz, I hate it.
fitbrit is online now  
post #28 of 47 Old 01-19-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Sorry if it sounded harsher than I meant it to be - I get lazy typing posts on my iPhone. I seemed to recall you feeling that people were being excessively picky/overblowing the situation about one frame in a thousand or so being skipped/duplicated. I know more recently you concede that its subjective. It really is! I don't have that averse a reaction to 3:2 pulldown; watching 23.976 fps material at 60Hz is okay for me - at 24Hz, I hate it.

The situation that drives me nuts is people complaining about the "24p bug" when its clearly not the "24p bug" causing the problem.

I just think if there is anything wrong at all with the HTPC then the "24p bug" immediately gets blamed.

And yes, the 24p bug is 1 missed frame is slightly less than 1000 frames. Not constant judder/stutter, tearing, AV sync issues, etc.
assassin is offline  
post #29 of 47 Old 01-20-2012, 03:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Heuer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Assassin:

Please tell me you can see the judder effect in the opening panning sequence of Cowboys and Aliens or is it just me and my system? I have the latest generation Panasonic Viera P65VT30 plasma ($4,000) which is brimming with every type of technology but it can't show C&A (for example) to my liking without a GT430 + Reclock. Saying it does not personally affect your viewing pleasure is different from acknowledging the effect is there.
Heuer is offline  
post #30 of 47 Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post

Saying it does not personally affect your viewing pleasure is different from acknowledging the effect is there.

Agreed. I will take a look at C&A later today and let you know. I have it but haven't watched it yet.
assassin is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off