new HTPC build, won't stay in sleep for more than a few seconds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have run into a problem here that google has been unable to solve. No matter what, when I put my system into sleep it will resume within 5-10 seconds back into ready state. I've looked in the event viewer, and the only action taking place after going into the sleep state is a 'kernel-general' system time change. It updates the system time by a couple of seconds. The next item in the event log is the system has resumed from sleep. wake source is listed as "unknown"

I did some googling and found that some people fixed it by disabling the asus acpi. I have an asrock mobo (H67M) and this was nowhere to be found on my system. There are a few options listed under acpi in the bios (suspend to ram, check ready bit, ps/2 keyboard power on, pci devices power on, ring in power on, rtc alarm power on). Disabling all or different combinations of each did not help.

any suggestions to try here? It's driving me nuts. I'd rather not leave the PC on all the time, but it will be the only option to prevent missed recordings.

I can certainly give more detailed info on my system, but i'm not sure any of that matters at this point. Seems to be the time sync.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I seem to have fixed this, so I'll update just in case someone comes across this in a search. I found that the only devices able to wake from sleep on my computer were the keyboard, mouse, and network adapter. My fix was to go into the device manager, and adjust the power management for my LAN to only wake from sleep via a magic packet. Seems to have done the trick as the computer is now going to sleep properly and staying there until I wake it.

now, we'll see if I run into the lost tuner issue with the hauppage 2650...

post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Liked: 13
thank you very much as ive had this problem since building my htpc last month. i never got a chance figure out why but i'll try your fix and report back later.

Thanks again
post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

hopefully it works for you. I googled several solutions that didn't pan out for me. The key for me though was finding out exactly which devices were able to wake from sleep, and then just systematically disabling and checking to see when the issue resolved.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I always disable wake up from mouse and LAN (but allow magic packets). For me, mouse is the biggest problem. If you leave it on, everytime you walk by your PC, you will very likely wake up the PC due to the slight movement of the mouse.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Try "powercfg -lastwake" and see what it says woke the PC

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Eerie - I have the same mobo, and was noticing the same problem during the middle of last week (so at the same time, too! ). I ended up digging into it a bit, and also found the solution of updating wake-on-LAN settings to "magic packet only." This solved the problem for me. Now my HTPC will sleep until prompted via keyboard/mouse/remote, when either of my Xbox360 extenders 'pings' it to start WMC mode, or when I have a recording scheduled.
It's nice, while sleeping my already quiet HTPC becomes essentially silent. And instead of sitting at ~35W idling at the desktop, it drops down to ~5W in sleep mode when not in use.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I think you just started this thread so that you could get giggles from typing the words 'magic packet'.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page