Refresh rates for WMC and Ceton use with XBMC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm very comfortable with configuration and tweaks for using HTPC to watch Bluray or MKVs from bluray (all 24p material). In fact I really just have my HTPC configured perminately at 23Hz in the ATI/AMD CCC.

However, when it comes to watching TV on an HTPC with the likes of a Ceton USB tuner.... what refresh rate do people use when watching live TV?

As far as I know... live shows are 29.97 FPS like news, sports, and various other video based content, but movies on TV are film, so is it possible that changing channels from CNN news to HBO would mean the content goes from ~30 fps to ~24 fps by simply channel surfing?

If so, how do people deal with proper refresh rates when viewing TV? Does TV viewing send ~30 fps regardless of source material in which case when Windows Media Center is launched... I should just lock in @ 29.97 FPS ?

I'd like to avoid having to use 'adjust display refresh to match video' within XBMC when I go from TV viewing to XBMC library for movies as the change in refresh rate is always problematic.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
There really is no good answer if you are not willing to use an auto refresh changer. I know in the WMC world, there have been add-ins invented to change your refresh rate. This is still cumbersome, but at least it's remote-friendly... instead of having to rely on keyboard hot-keys or mousing around the desktop everytime you want to change the refresh rate. If you use something like MediaBrowser you can setup external players that change the rates for you automatically.

If you don't want to fool with all that, I'd leave the refresh rate at 60Hz and live with the 3:2 pulldown judder... or use a smoothing application like SVP to reduce the judder.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

There really is no good answer if you are not willing to use an auto refresh changer. I know in the WMC world, there have been add-ins invented to change your refresh rate. This is still cumbersome, but at least it's remote-friendly... instead of having to rely on keyboard hot-keys or mousing around the desktop everytime you want to change the refresh rate. If you use something like MediaBrowser you can setup external players that change the rates for you automatically.

If you don't want to fool with all that, I'd leave the refresh rate at 60Hz and live with the 3:2 pulldown judder... or use a smoothing application like SVP to reduce the judder.

Thanks for the reply and the advice on SVP, I'll look into that.

On subject of TV viewing and refresh rates... I'm just concerned about channel surfing causing refresh rate changes simply watching live TV. If that's what's happening already with DVRs from cable or TIVO then I guess this would be no different, but if it's new behavior then I think the delay in displaying a channel while surfing could be much more than I'm used to.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel View Post

Thanks for the reply and the advice on SVP, I'll look into that.

On subject of TV viewing and refresh rates... I'm just concerned about channel surfing causing refresh rate changes simply watching live TV. If that's what's happening already with DVRs from cable or TIVO then I guess this would be no different, but if it's new behavior then I think the delay in displaying a channel while surfing could be much more than I'm used to.

That doesn't happen when watching TV. Usually in most cable DVRs or Tivo, you specify a specific resolution and refresh rate that your TV can handle, and the DVR/Tivo will scale as necessary to match the TV. A HTPC is no different in this regard.

Most broadcast TV is either 30fps or 60fps. So at 60Hz on your TV, it can easily handle either. Now, I guess what you are worried about is a TV show that was originally shot on film at 24fps and then it was telecined to 60fps? The TV might have a mode where it can recover the original 24fps cadence (120Hz and up TVs can do this and display the 24fps in mulitples), but normally just leaves it as the 60fps that it gets from your cable box.

A HTPC is not much different than your cable box when it comes to this stuff, especially for TV. You set a specific resolution and refresh rate and the HTPC will scale all video to that resolution and rate. Playing back a movie is a little different than watching TV. You can send the pure 24fps to your TV and let it scale up to 60Hz, or you can let the GPU scale it up to 60Hz and the TV is just displaying what it gets. If your TV support 24fps, though you can have the HTPC's GPU send out just a 24fps signal and you will get a smoother picture when watching a movie.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page