Unable to pause/rewind/ff on XBOX360 using Media Browser - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-22-2012, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an HTPC setup with Media Browser. Also installed are Media Control and Media Center master. I'm streaming to another TV with an XBOX 360 which is wired using CAT6. Everything is connected to a Dell Powerconnect 2808 switch which is connected to a Netgear WNDR3700. When watching live tv (ceton card installed on HTPC) or recorded TV, playback is fine. Quality is excellent and I can pause, FF, and Rewind.

Whenever I am watching something on the Media Browser (mostly MKV files), if I pause it freezes up and I can't hit play again. I also am unable to fast forward or rewind as that also results in it freezing. The quality isn't as good also as it seems grainy. If I watch the media browser on the HTPC, I have no issues. Quality is excellent, and I can pause, rew, and FF.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there anything I can do about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Can anyone relate to this issue? I'm about to purchase a 360 to use as an extender.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My best guess is that your htpc is weak, and cannot transcode without throttling. This is why the xbox will play smoothly media which is encoded in xbox native format (rectv), but not mkv's, as they usually need transcode. Chech you cpu usage on the pc while streaming to the xbox.
Another trick is to disable nonmedia throttling on the pc, it was discussed recently here. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066
post #4 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roussi View Post

My best guess is that your htpc is weak, and cannot transcode without throttling. This is why the xbox will play smoothly media which is encoded in xbox native format (rectv), but not mkv's, as they usually need transcode. Chech you cpu usage on the pc while streaming to the xbox.
Another trick is to disable nonmedia throttling on the pc, it was discussed recently here. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066

I think you might be right. I have an i3 processor. When I first start streaming to the xbox, my cpu hits 96-100% for a good 5 minutes. It starts to drop after that but still goes between 75-95% averaging in the 80% range.

I might try to see how disabling the nonmedia throttling works. If not I'll probably just have to upgrade the processor. I knew I should have bought at least the i5.

Would the i5 or even i7 make a difference? If I am going to upgrade, I might as well go for the best now.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw79 View Post

I think you might be right. I have an i3 processor. When I first start streaming to the xbox, my cpu hits 96-100% for a good 5 minutes. It starts to drop after that but still goes between 75-95% averaging in the 80% range.

I might try to see how disabling the nonmedia throttling works. If not I'll probably just have to upgrade the processor. I knew I should have bought at least the i5.

Would the i5 or even i7 make a difference? If I am going to upgrade, I might as well go for the best now.

I've had no problem using my i5 to stream to my 360's.

THAT BEING SAID, I'm still skeptical that this is a processor issue...
post #6 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

The i3 is plenty processor for 1 extender.

In general you need 1 cpu core per extender and 2GB RAM per extender.

How much RAM are you running with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
you can avoid transcoding...
before you crack open your wallet...

uninstall all codec related installtions.
Haali, LAV, Klite, cccp, divx, everthing you can find concerning codecs in Programs and Features of Control Panel.
unregister any manually registered codecs.

Enable UAC if you have disabled it and reboot your system.

Install the Win7codecs and the x64Components addon if your OS is 64bit.

Open the installed Settings Application(s) using a rightclick on the shortcut and choose, 'Run as Administrator'
On the Help TAB, use the button to associate filetypes to the Windows players.

On the MKV TAB, uncheck the box that is disabling the DivX MF splitter.
Do the above in the 64bit Settings Application if your OS is 64bit.

Test MKV playback on the xbox.

Use
and retain your sanity.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

4GB RAM. I am running Win 7 64bit so I can increase that if needed.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 AM

i'll chime in for shark007. worked for me on an old dell server with two single core xeon's in it! i could playback any mkv i had on my xbox with no problems.

that being said it was a few years ago, i've used his stuff on my tri-core htpc with no issues at all. and i'm getting ready to setup a new xbox 360 for extender duties very soon...so i'm already setup for it and will let you know

its my blog about bmw's, primal eating, pc gaming...whatever i feel like :)
post #10 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

you can avoid transcoding...
before you crack open your wallet...

uninstall all codec related installtions.
Haali, LAV, Klite, cccp, divx, everthing you can find concerning codecs in Programs and Features of Control Panel.
unregister any manually registered codecs.

Enable UAC if you have disabled it and reboot your system.

Install the Win7codecs and the x64Components addon if your OS is 64bit.

Open the installed Settings Application(s) using a rightclick on the shortcut and choose, 'Run as Administrator'
On the Help TAB, use the button to associate filetypes to the Windows players.

On the MKV TAB, uncheck the box that is disabling the DivX MF splitter.
Do the above in the 64bit Settings Application if your OS is 64bit.

Test MKV playback on the xbox.

When setting up the HTPC I tried to keep the installed codecs to a minimum and only installed Shark007 so I changed the settings you suggested and so far the quality has improved and I can now pause/ff/rewind with no issues.

I do have an outdated version though, so I will upgrade over the weekend when I'm not recording anything but so far it seems to be working well.

Thanks again!
post #11 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I changed the settings you suggested and so far the quality has improved and I can now pause/ff/rewind with no issues.

am glad to hear it is working OK for you now.

Use
and retain your sanity.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page