post #271 of 935 Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

No Plex doesn't require a mighty CPU. I believe it's still a dual core 2ghz or better. Obviously, a better CPU helps with a lot with performance for more CPU intense activities such as transcoding.

You might want to qualify that. As I mentioned earlier, a quad-core 2.66 GHz Q8400 was not powerful enough to transcode blu-ray rips on the fly, although it was borderline. It actually worked perfectly fine for many rips, but occasionally struggled for others. Maybe with a little less overhead on my WHS 2011 server it would have sufficed, but I think a more recent core i processor gives you more headroom, particularly if there's a chance you you'll be transcoding more than one movie at a time. The i5-3570k for instance can transcode 3 blu-ray rips simultaneously at 80-85% CPU usage. It's kind of amazing CPU power has more than tripled in a relatively short time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 935 Old 12-18-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Yeah, I've mentioned earlier that I had no problems transcoding blu-ray rips on the fly with an E8400 (dual core)

The reality is, that I probably didn't test it as much as you. It's more of a novelty for me, and I've used it with full blu-rips transcoded to a 720p display on about 5 titles in my collection. What were the titles you experienced issues with?

It's impressive that the i5 has that much headroom. The e8400 is making it's way to a pfsense setup soon after being replaced with an i3 2125. Haven't tested again recently, but I expect no problems.
post #273 of 935 Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Yeah, I've mentioned earlier that I had no problems transcoding blu-ray rips on the fly with an E8400 (dual core)
The reality is, that I probably didn't test it as much as you. It's more of a novelty for me, and I've used it with full blu-rips transcoded to a 720p display on about 5 titles in my collection. What were the titles you experienced issues with?
It's impressive that the i5 has that much headroom. The e8400 is making it's way to a pfsense setup soon after being replaced with an i3 2125. Haven't tested again recently, but I expect no problems.

Adventureland seemed to be one of the more problematic rips, and had very high CPU usage. I'm not sure why this one is worse than others. It's just H.264. I included this movie in the simultaneous streaming test of three movies on the i5-3570k. No problems there. I also migrated from WHS 2011 to Mac 10.8 at the same time, and there might be some performance differences between the two.
post #274 of 935 Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Are you still testing within the mac server environment?

I know very little about hackintosh, but Apple has been fanatic about hardware throttling in all portable devices

If you were running a vanilla kernel (assuming your mobo supported it), I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it was limiting your q8400

Either way, I'm not sure the core2 architecture would ever support multiple transcodes (which people seem to frequently list as a requirement)
post #275 of 935 Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No, the Q8400 was in my custom WHS2011 machine. The i5-3570k is in a completely separate Hackintosh build. That obviously means there are a lot of other factors going on like mobo, memory, and OS.
post #276 of 935 Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Using Plex server for two days. With Android Plex client on my tablets.
I am impressed, really.
It's been a long time since I've been impressed.
Way to go, Plex!

Does not support ISO, unfortunately.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #277 of 935 Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm run PMS on an old late 2009 Mac Mini (2.66ghz D2C, 4GB ram) and usually don't have issues with transcoding. I've never tried transcoding a BR disc on the fly, but have done full BR MKV rips from MakeMKV without an issue. Yet, I was only doing on file at a time. I've had other issues, but they were more hardware limitations with audio or I having network issues.

Obviously, you're going to need more power the more files you're trying to transcode simultaneously. You'd probably want more ram too.

For most people's Plex use, what I stated earlier still stands.
post #278 of 935 Old 12-24-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Plex Team is finally updating the PC/Mac client with the latest XBMC additions, including the AudioEngine which supports HD audio. Not all of the XBMC 12.0 features will be added. No live TV and PVR here. Still, this will be a nice update for many, and will hopefully fix some of the longstanding issues like audio/video sync.

The beta is currently available to Plex Pass subscribers.
post #279 of 935 Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

The Plex Team is finally updating the PC/Mac client with the latest XBMC additions, including the AudioEngine which supports HD audio. Not all of the XBMC 12.0 features will be added. No live TV and PVR here. Still, this will be a nice update for many, and will hopefully fix some of the longstanding issues like audio/video sync.
The beta is currently available to Plex Pass subscribers.

I have heard people have issue with the AudioEngine and geting it to work with HDMI in the XBMC install. I am not sure how Plex handles this.
post #280 of 935 Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I have heard people have issue with the AudioEngine and geting it to work with HDMI in the XBMC install. I am not sure how Plex handles this.

Works great for me on XBMC. I haven't tested Plex Home Theater though. Still, it might be best to wait until the Plex and XBMC updates are out of beta.
post #281 of 935 Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm sort of getting tired of Plex. I really liked the ease of use of setting it up, having separate tv/movies/documentaries setups, the PMS interface to manage it, streaming and transcoding etc. I even bought a Roku to use it. But then I started noticing some tv series were all mixed up/mismatched and I couldn't fix them. Also the roku is just too slow, the transcoding pause is a bad experience.

I think I might have to go back to XBMC + HTPC client, using MySql etc, it's complicated and I won't have MyPlex, queues etc, which I used with the simple plex bookmark to add videos from YouTube, but in the end I want a more flexible system and XBMC seems to have more addons as well.
post #282 of 935 Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

I had that issue, kind of. Mine was it wouldn't pull the metadata for some media. I had to remove that library completely and then readd it. I found when setting up my libraries, I have to do one at a time, otherwise I get bad metadata pulls.

It's possible you may have some bad naming or naming convenetions. I would double check IMDB or TVRage to see how they're name since those are the main sites. I don't know why you can't use IMDB for TV shows too.

As for the Roku, you might need to lower quality. It's possible you have a bottleneck either on your PMS machine or it's just your network. I have three Rokus and that's what I find it usually the cause. It did have an issue with a firewall and needed to open a port.

I tried out the new Plex Home Theater. It's pretty solid. I had to remove the normal Plex Media Center client. Install both to the same directory cause all kinds of crashes and wouldn't play ANY files. My AVR old and doesn't have HDMI. Also, my HTPC is an old late 2009 Mac Mini, which has no HDMI. I found the HTPC couldn't handle media files with HD audio or high bite rate files. Hardware limiations and so forth. I found if I set Plex for audio through HDMI, it handle those files significantly better. The audio is still coming out of the Toslink cable from the HTPC. I'm also on a beta PMS for Windows, 9.8.
post #283 of 935 Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

I'm still curious to try out the mobile sync function. It's not available yet for Android, but it's on iOS.

I found the web player is interesting. It's obvious it's still in a beta. I'm not giving up the desktop client for it, at least right now.
post #284 of 935 Old 12-29-2012, 01:49 AM

Liked: 16
Thought I should share these here too (hope nobody considers this cross-posting...).

Blu-Ray ISO support using external player (HTPC only)
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/54335-using-external-player-to-play-blu-ray-isos-and-basicly-anything-you-want/

DVD Profiler meta data agent
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/54071-dvdp2plex-dvd-profiler-metadata-agent/
post #285 of 935 Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henris View Post

Thought I should share these here too (hope nobody considers this cross-posting...).
Blu-Ray ISO support using external player (HTPC only)
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/54335-using-external-player-to-play-blu-ray-isos-and-basicly-anything-you-want/
DVD Profiler meta data agent
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/54071-dvdp2plex-dvd-profiler-metadata-agent/

Very cool! I didn't know there was a way to use your own metadata.
post #286 of 935 Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Very cool! I didn't know there was a way to use your own metadata.

Implementing a meta data agent proved to be relatively easy, the developer documentation for Plex (see here) is actually quite excellent. If your own meta data is in xml or any kind well defined form, it shouldn't take too long to build an agent to take use of it. There are also others like the one for utilising XBMC nfo and local artwork.

Just finishing a Windows 8 installation and can't wait getting a test run on the new Win8 client which is released for beta testing. See the Plex blog for details and screenshots.
post #287 of 935 Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Implementing a meta data agent proved to be relatively easy, the developer documentation for Plex (see here) is actually quite excellent. If your own meta data is in xml or any kind well defined form, it shouldn't take too long to build an agent to take use of it. There are also others like the one for utilising XBMC nfo and local artwork.
Just finishing a Windows 8 installation and can't wait getting a test run on the new Win8 client which is released for beta testing. See the Plex blog for details and screenshots.

So you are Plex Pass member. Share what you think with us. Screenshots would be nice too.

post #288 of 935 Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

So you are Plex Pass member. Share what you think with us. Screenshots would be nice too.

I don't think the Windows 8 "metro" app requires Plex Pass. Maybe you're thinking of Plex Home Theater, which is the replacement for Plex Media Center?
post #289 of 935 Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex Blog 
... a major update to the Windows 8 Plex app ... It’s available in the Windows 8 store right now.

No PlexPass needed for the Windows 8 app.

PlexPass is more for those who want to support Plex, get early access to upcoming features ie beta testers), or exclusive features. On example, current to right now, would be access to the webplayer.
post #290 of 935 Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

No PlexPass needed for the Windows 8 app.
PlexPass is more for those who want to support Plex, get early access to upcoming features ie beta testers), or exclusive features. On example, current to right now, would be access to the webplayer.

The webplayer is not limited to Plex Pass members.

Here are all of the programs limited to Plex Pass members.
-Plex Sync beta
-Plex Media Server betas
-Plex Home Theater beta
-Plex Pass subforums

The Plex team has suggested that "Premium" features in the future will require Plex Pass. The only Premium feature so far that has been described is Plex Sync.
post #291 of 935 Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think the Windows 8 "metro" app requires Plex Pass. Maybe you're thinking of Plex Home Theater, which is the replacement for Plex Media Center?

Yeah, u r right, so many clients, so little time (that's what she said biggrin.gif )

In other news:

I ended up having a dedicated Plex server being my 7 year old Dell M1210, Core 2 Duo laptop, 4GB RAM, Ethernet connection to the network.
This Dell suffers from the common Dell laptop decease, the battery cannot be charged after a while.
But plugged-in all the time, works amazingly well.
Tried with the different PC and Android clients, excellent transcoding, can hold two streams just fine, third transcoded stream might cause problems.

post #292 of 935 Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The webplayer is not limited to Plex Pass members.
Here are all of the programs limited to Plex Pass members.
-Plex Sync beta
-Plex Media Server betas
-Plex Home Theater beta
-Plex Pass subforums
The Plex team has suggested that "Premium" features in the future will require Plex Pass. The only Premium feature so far that has been described is Plex Sync.

I forgot it went public. I went PlexPass a few days before it went public. I am using Plex Home Theater. I was using the Windows beta PMS, but it went public a couple days ago. The sync beta is exclusive to iOS right now; I"m on android.
post #293 of 935 Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:

Tried the Win8 "metro" client but soon realised that for my first use it wouldn't do much. I need the external player capability for Blu-Ray ISO-rip playback and the Win8 client seems to be totally isolated from the rest of the operating system. So I'm concentrating on the Media Center and Home Theater clients.

I'm also a little bit worried about Plex teams resources being spread developing various clients and new features but they do seem to be doing nice progress on all fronts.
post #294 of 935 Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I would pay good money if someone could take PMS and make it a true server for XBMC. PleXBMC doesn't count as it has it's own skins, library etc. I know PMS isn't open source so this isn't likely to happen, but a server for XBMC is sorely needed.
post #295 of 935 Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

I would pay good money if someone could take PMS and make it a true server for XBMC. PleXBMC doesn't count as it has it's own skins, library etc. I know PMS isn't open source so this isn't likely to happen, but a server for XBMC is sorely needed.

I think that's what everyone wants. The whole mysql thing for XBMC is so rudimentary compared to PMS. That being said, I'm planning on just switching from XBMC to Plex Home Theater. I've been testing it, and I don't really see what I'm losing. The major thing missing is live TV and PVR, but I'm not planning on using that anyways. You also can't use XBMC plugins in Plex Home Theater, but there seems to be a corresponding Plex plug-in for everything I use.
post #296 of 935 Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Plex is partly open source. The stuff like the PMS isn't though.

It's been a good year since I've used XBMC; I stopped using it when Boxee left the PC arena to concentrate on the Boxee Box. Thus, I'm a bit out of date on some aspects on it. Towards media playback, you're getting the basic package. They have a library with nice pictures and metadata features and media playback. There are few differences such as HD audio (which Plex may have recently added, but that only be through XBMCPlex) and ISO.

After that, there can be some key differences. For those guys who love customizing such as theming and skins, XBMC blows the doors off Plex. Not that it can't be done, but I think it may be easier and the community just for that is significantly larger. There is the live tv and dvr/pvr of XBMC. Plex has no dvr/pvr and one guy did a plug in for live with the HDHomerun. I haven't tried it in a while, but was will still early, odd navigation, and only worked on the desktop (possibly 8.5 or earlier). XBMC has significantly more plugins/addons and scripts. I personally didn't like how you actually installed them, so I never bothered.

Plex distinguishes itself from XBMC with it's structure. As mentioned, the back end server and front end client. One spot to setup your libraries and maintain them. If XBMC has that capablities, I never found it. Plex disintegrates the doors off XBMC. Although, XBMC is working on adding it and has working beta. I think Plex may be easier to add other devices such as various set top boxes such as Roku, AppleTV.. But since XBMC ir more open source, they can get more possible devices such as Rasberry Pi.

I don't really think one is better than the other. They just meet different goals. When Plex got streaming out of my LAN to an Android device, that was it for me. When someone did a Roku channel for Plex, it was added a nail to the coffin for XBMC for me; I had two Roku boxes at the time; it's increased to three. The webplayer, just some nice icing on the cake. I probably do my plex media viewing seventy percent away from home. The DNLA capabilities are nice feature too.
post #297 of 935 Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Dunno.
I had installed XBMC on my main HTPC, but never actually used it.

Plex, on the other hand, made all the difference.

I need ISO playback, BD and HD DVD playback, and easy way to correct Plex metadata when Plex puts wrong titles to my movies, like 007 "Dr. No" shows up in my library as "Harakiri"rolleyes.gif

post #298 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:

I need ISO playback, BD and HD DVD playback, and easy way to correct Plex metadata when Plex puts wrong titles to my movies, like 007 "Dr. No" shows up in my library as "Harakiri"rolleyes.gif
Did you notice this above?

I spent some time getting a smooth robust transition from Plex to PowerDVD 12 and back. I'm just about to release an update which provides "splash" informing user on Plex side that playback is being prepared in the background.
post #299 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you notice this above?
I spent some time getting a smooth robust transition from Plex to PowerDVD 12 and back. I'm just about to release an update which provides "splash" informing user on Plex side that playback is being prepared in the background.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing your work!

Do you happen to know if Plex can handle having multiple version of a movie in a movie folder? For instance, could I have a full blu-ray ISO and an MKV, so that Plex Media Center launches the ISO using your method but using the mkv to stream to other devices?
post #300 of 935 Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing your work!
Do you happen to know if Plex can handle having multiple version of a movie in a movie folder? For instance, could I have a full blu-ray ISO and an MKV, so that Plex Media Center launches the ISO using your method but using the mkv to stream to other devices?

I generally keep these seperate. Or use nested folders with both versions inside the first folder.

Of coarse I'm less 10 % plex total though...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page