Plex Discussion Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #541 of 1065 Old 10-09-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

It's not official but the server and the classic seem pretty stable in beta... and they also have a FREE android and a FREE iOS app for smart phones and tablets available now too.

The "theater" product is not out yet, but sammy should like it. Madvr is working (for me) with HD overlay , LAV audio and such... no more external player biggrin.gif There is still a lot of work to do on it, but clearly the Dev team for MB3 is working hard and doing good things.

HD Overlay?

The only issue I have with the MBT is incorporating that into use with WMC for CableCARD TV PVR. If it can load and exit from within WMC that would work better for me. The android app and MB3 Classic work quite well though.

Back to Plex, the Serenity for Android Plex Client works very well on GTV and Android Stick Computers and is remote friendly as well. I have been using it for a while now. It does not transcode at all but uses MX Player (with ffmpeg you get full dts decoding) with hardware acceleration for playback. It is a very nice product but you need ICS or JB to run it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1065 Old 10-09-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope someone can help here..

I have been using Plex for quite some time to stream to my phone. Knowing my library I have been able to "work around" this issue in using PlexApp and also using the android app but I recently started to share my library to people that aren't familiar with this stuff.

I have my TV Series in the following convention:

H:\Public Video\TV Series\Series Name\Season ##\s##e## - episode name.mkv which I think is a pretty standard naming convention. I have the Plex Server pointed to H:\Public Video\TV Series for TV Series in the library.

Also in the Season ## folder there is a metadata folder created by MediaCenterMaster or MediaBrowser or Plex (they all scan my library) as well as banner.jpg and folder.jpg.

With that background information in mind, If one were to go to TV Series in myPlex or or the android app, the default is to have it organized not by series name but rather by rather just random of maybe alphabetically. One can click on the "Folder" option which organizes by series name but does not show folder.jpg but rather just a generic folder icon.

There's two things I am trying to do. First is have clients default to the Folder option and the second is to show folder.jpg rather than just a generic folder icon in the library. I have tried to look through the settings in myPlex and in Plex Server but have not found anyplace to change this. Did I miss something or is there something else I need to do?

BTW, I use Media Browser on my HTPC and it defaults to this option automatically which is pretty sweet.

post #543 of 1065 Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are you trying to combine local meta data with scraped one or just use the local one? I don't fully understand your problem since you should be able to use the default tv-series views without having to resort to folder view. They should be available in all clients and in myPlex. Perhaps you could take a few screenshots to show how it looks on the client and how it's in myPlex?

As a side note, Plex does not store any of the metadata next to the media files but instead in the server directory structure.
post #544 of 1065 Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I fixed it. I was being stupid. It is just a matter of setting it to Shows rather than Episodes.

post #545 of 1065 Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 115
For those also using Media Browser, we have the ability now to manage and write to .NFO metadata files. This was originally designed for XBMC, but several testers have reported it working well with Plex.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=175430
post #546 of 1065 Old 10-12-2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemb View Post

For those also using Media Browser, we have the ability now to manage and write to .NFO metadata files. This was originally designed for XBMC, but several testers have reported it working well with Plex.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=175430
I assume you would then use this "Metadata agents for exported XBMC library" agent to utilise the .NFO metadata files.
post #547 of 1065 Old 10-12-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Back to Plex.

Does anyone know what "Enable Verbose Logging" in the Advanced Server Settings does? I am looking for a way to determine after the fact when a client was connected and what they have played so I can keep track of usage over the internet.

post #548 of 1065 Old 10-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Back to Plex.

Does anyone know what "Enable Verbose Logging" in the Advanced Server Settings does? I am looking for a way to determine after the fact when a client was connected and what they have played so I can keep track of usage over the internet.
Have you taken a look on this plexWatch addon? I don't use it myself but it seems to be The solution for this kind of purposes. It does require PlexPass for full functionality, especially Now Playing is a PlexPass feature.

I do remember seeing some other solution which was based on log monitoring but couldn't find with a short search.
post #549 of 1065 Old 10-12-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

That looks cool but it is a Plex Pass feature only..

post #550 of 1065 Old 10-13-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:

PlexPass costs 30$/year or 75$ lifetime. If you are past the experimentation period that is a very low amount to be paid compared to overall cost of your system. And you get a whole lot of other cool features and benefits with the PlexPass, not to mention you support their efforts.

I think it could require quite an effort or almost impossible to implement this just using logs. It could be that they have intentionally left out crucial things out of the logs since they have a separate feature for this.
post #551 of 1065 Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henris View Post

Quote:

PlexPass costs 30$/year or 75$ lifetime. If you are past the experimentation period that is a very low amount to be paid compared to overall cost of your system. And you get a whole lot of other cool features and benefits with the PlexPass, not to mention you support their efforts.

I think it could require quite an effort or almost impossible to implement this just using logs. It could be that they have intentionally left out crucial things out of the logs since they have a separate feature for this.

I understand this. I'm also waiting to see what MB3 has to offer as it is getting closer and I've always liked the look and feel of MB better than Plex.

This begs another question, My son has an i7 gaming rig that is quite capable of playing a mere mkv but when he streams an mkv from my i5 Plex Server, why is it being transcoded on the weaker machine? Is there a setting to make it not do this so as to not tax my PC and put the load over on his machine? Due to Plex's restriction on third party apps using the transcoder, I can get a basic android stick computer to do the heavy lifting using serenity with MX player but an i7 is going to tax my machine? This makes no sense to me.

post #552 of 1065 Old 10-13-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to mariob33
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I understand this. I'm also waiting to see what MB3 has to offer as it is getting closer and I've always liked the look and feel of MB better than Plex.

This begs another question, My son has an i7 gaming rig that is quite capable of playing a mere mkv but when he streams an mkv from my i5 Plex Server, why is it being transcoded on the weaker machine? Is there a setting to make it not do this so as to not tax my PC and put the load over on his machine? Due to Plex's restriction on third party apps using the transcoder, I can get a basic android stick computer to do the heavy lifting using serenity with MX player but an i7 is going to tax my machine? This makes no sense to me.

are all of the requisite codecs available on the i7 machine? Keep in mind that natively a windows machine has no idea where to try and start with a MKV file. Try a MS supported and see if its the same.

In search of video bliss...
post #553 of 1065 Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

are all of the requisite codecs available on the i7 machine? Keep in mind that natively a windows machine has no idea where to try and start with a MKV file. Try a MS supported and see if its the same.

Good point. If I'm going to do that I might as well set up MB with MPC-HC/madVR/LAV on his machine instead but, the Plex Media Center does not require transcoding on my HTPC as it has all the codecs installed but it does not play the HD audio tracks or it is using an audio clock and outputting PCM for Dobly True HD but not dts/HD-MA which I find perplexing. The thing is I think that he's using the myPlex web app on Chrome. Either way, I should do some work on HIS machine to take the load off of MY machine. Thanks!!

post #554 of 1065 Old 10-13-2013, 10:24 AM

Plex Home Theater and Plex Media Center do not require any additional codec packs or similar to be installed, everything is included. I just finished installing a new win8 client and I just installed AMD Radeon drivers and PHT and I had full Direct play functionality. I'm not sure about the web player but I would assume it's also independent.

When you say streamed from Plex server what do you actually mean, which player are you using? To my knowledge only real Plex clients and DLNA clients can access the media through the Plex server. Others will simply access the file stream where transcoding cannot take place at all.
post #555 of 1065 Old 10-13-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

A server shared via email uses myPlex, correct? And that is using Chrome browser but streaming from the server on my computer, no?

post #556 of 1065 Old 10-13-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:

A server shared via email uses myPlex, correct? And that is using Chrome browser but streaming from the server on my computer, no?
Ah, I somehow understood that you were living in the same household wink.gif When you share something outside, it all depends on your internet connection, especially the upstream speed and the remote client quality setting. For instance, if you have a 10Mbps 1080p blu-ray rip, to be able to direct play externally you would have to have >10Mbps upstream (eg. symmetric fibre 100/100) and the remote client must have the remote quality setting larger than 10Mbps and direct play enabled. I have only used the web player on local network and that's how it works at least locally. I took a brief look on Plex forums and based on the results I would expect direct play to work in similar fashion on remote connections.

In any case it would not make sense to transcode on the remote client side since the only reason to transcode is to be able to reduce the bandwidth required (ok, there is also the subtitle reason, but that also has to happen on the server side).
post #557 of 1065 Old 10-13-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

He is in fact living here but I shared it this way so that when he's at his gf's house they can use it there but now it has turned into using it here too. What I need to do is get it set up properly for use here so that it doesn't tax my machine.

I was playing with Plex Media Center on my HTPC and it seems that it is not selecting the HD audio but rather the core tracks when passing through so I am not sure if when I have WAS API engaged in Preferences if it is passing lossless PCM. How to tell?

post #558 of 1065 Old 10-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

... The thing is I think that he's using the myPlex web app on Chrome. ...

if this is true, this explains why the PMS is transcoding. As far as I know, nothing plays natively through the Plex/Web. If you look the in PMS setting for Plex/Web, you only get to choose what bit rate to use. There is no option for direct play. It's just a limit of the interface. I don't know any services that play files direct via a web browswer without some kind of special plug in. I think they're just using HTML5, maybe Flash Player.

In the short term, assuming your son's machine has Windows7 or Windows8 with Media Center, just install Plex home theater and it will play the MKV directly.

Unfortunately, the way Plex is setup, if there is transcoding, it's done on the PMS machine. Doesn't matter what the front the end is on. The PMS is putting it in a format that is friendly to the front end machine.

As for the share email thing, that's just more to verify the machine is authorized to access your PMS. It also for setting up the IPs , and possibly, ports to access the PMS. That's why it's so easy to setup Plex and various front ends. Not like the early days of Plex for Android. It's leaps and bounds easier.
post #559 of 1065 Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

if this is true, this explains why the PMS is transcoding. As far as I know, nothing plays natively through the Plex/Web. If you look the in PMS setting for Plex/Web, you only get to choose what bit rate to use. There is no option for direct play. It's just a limit of the interface. I don't know any services that play files direct via a web browswer without some kind of special plug in. I think they're just using HTML5, maybe Flash Player.
Umm, not true at least on PMS version 0.9.8.0. The setting is located in "Settings / Plex/Web / Player" where you have both the Local/Remote Quality and Direct Play settings. And the Plex/Web definitely has the ability to direct play, however it does not (yet) support direct play when external srt-subtitles are used.
post #560 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Not sure if passing lossless is the highest priority in all situations when using Plex? If so, not much advice to offer since I don't focus on that ability (or lack there of)

As to remote/local direct play settings, I would just use Plex Media Center instead of Plex Web. In PMC, the preferences you need to adjust are under "System" for remote playback and "Network" for local network playback
post #561 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

... The thing is I think that he's using the myPlex web app on Chrome. ...

In the short term, assuming your son's machine has Windows7 or Windows8 with Media Center, just install Plex home theater and it will play the MKV directly.

Unfortunately, the way Plex is setup, if there is transcoding, it's done on the PMS machine. Doesn't matter what the front the end is on. The PMS is putting it in a format that is friendly to the front end machine.

As for the share email thing, that's just more to verify the machine is authorized to access your PMS. It also for setting up the IPs , and possibly, ports to access the PMS. That's why it's so easy to setup Plex and various front ends. Not like the early days of Plex for Android. It's leaps and bounds easier.

Quote:

Quote:

Umm, not true at least on PMS version 0.9.8.0. The setting is located in "Settings / Plex/Web / Player" where you have both the Local/Remote Quality and Direct Play settings. And the Plex/Web definitely has the ability to direct play, however it does not (yet) support direct play when external srt-subtitles are used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Not sure if passing lossless is the highest priority in all situations when using Plex? If so, not much advice to offer since I don't focus on that ability (or lack there of)

As to remote/local direct play settings, I would just use Plex Media Center instead of Plex Web. In PMC, the preferences you need to adjust are under "System" for remote playback and "Network" for local network playback

Thanks guys.

I think I had inadvertently answered this myself about using the Plexweb app, lovekeiiy just by what I was finding out about it as I posted.

I have found and set the the quality and direct play settings but I did not realize that those needed to be set from the front end device and was not being controlled by the server to all front end devices. I will investigate this further for all clients, henris.

I do think that passing lossless audio is important when using Plex Media Center on my HTPC in my "Home Theater" but not so much on android or Roku or even my son's machine because he doesn't have an AVR connected, Dark Slayer. I really hadn't fiddled with Plex too much because I liked and set up MB with MPC-HC, madVR and LAV on my HTPC but yesterday I did. The settings are quite nice and it looks as if it has Reclock or other built in. I even turned this on and then off but I am still not seeing that the lossless audio track is being sent to my AVR when it is off. It shows PCM when on but I am not sure if Plex is decoding the lossless tracks or just the core track before sending PCM. How to tell? One final question, what video renderer is Plex using and are there any settings for that?

post #562 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 07:05 AM

I only have DD/DTS capable receiver so cannot directly help you with the HD audio. I would assume that the player in Plex is the same as in the XBMC core release. I did originally use external players with Plex since I had a lot of Blu-Ray ISOs. I actually implemented PlexExtPlay solution for this purpose and it's still usable with PMC: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/54335-using-external-player-to-play-blu-ray-isos-and-basicly-anything-you-want/. With this you can easily direct eg. all mkv to be played with MPC-HC and get all the audio and video processing you want. This works only with PC based setup but I guess it's fine in your situation. Personally I have now switched almost completely to the internal Plex player since it works so well.

The different settings on Plex can be a bit confusing. When I did testing on transcoding I noticed that the setting on Plex/Web which actually was in use was the "Remote quality" even when the client was in the same local network. I don't know if the "Local quality" has any meaning for Plex/Web.
post #563 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
There is no core track for PCM so if your receiver displays PCM then it should be bitstreaming correctly. If it's not then your receiver should show whatever mode it uses by default. Like my Harman Kardon shows Logic 7 when the HTPC does the decoding. When the HTPC bitstreams audio it shows the codec that is being streamed. LPCM, DTS-HD MA, TrueHD.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #564 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

There is no core track for PCM so if your receiver displays PCM then it should be bitstreaming correctly. If it's not then your receiver should show whatever mode it uses by default. Like my Harman Kardon shows Logic 7 when the HTPC does the decoding. When the HTPC bitstreams audio it shows the codec that is being streamed. LPCM, DTS-HD MA, TrueHD.

I am not seeing dts-HD/MA or TrueHD on my AVR for mkv's that have this audio in them. I only see dts or Dolby Digital so Plex is choosing the wrong audio track to send to my AVR it would seem. When I have "match to audio clock" (or whatever it is called) enabled, Plex decodes the audio to resync it to the video and I see PCM on my AVR buy I am thinking that this is not the lossless audio track but have not found a way to verify.

post #565 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am not seeing dts-HD/MA or TrueHD on my AVR for mkv's that have this audio in them. I only see dts or Dolby Digital so Plex is choosing the wrong audio track to send to my AVR it would seem. When I have "match to audio clock" (or whatever it is called) enabled, Plex decodes the audio to resync it to the video and I see PCM on my AVR buy I am thinking that this is not the lossless audio track but have not found a way to verify.

Your receiver is probably just displaying the pcm signal from the HTPC which would be the decoded audio signal. Do you have the HD audio track set to default in the MKV? If not did you select it as the default in the PMS?

post #566 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Your receiver is probably just displaying the pcm signal from the HTPC which would be the decoded audio signal. Do you have the HD audio track set to default in the MKV? If not did you select it as the default in the PMS?

That is exactly what it is doing. If an mkv has the HD Audio in the form of dts-HD/MA or Dolby TrueHD it is the default track. MB with MPC-HC picks the correct track every time. Where is this setting in the PMS to force the HD Audio track to be picked? I see it as a choice in Plex Web but not in PMC (although maybe I missed it?).

post #567 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

If you have more than 1 audio track it just shows up in the video summary page in PMS.

NqVLDFy.jpg
8DxKvng.jpg

post #568 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, and it seems to be the first track listed so I figure it is the default but the problem is that it isn't passing it to the AVR. For dts it is only the core track for example.. Hmm. I will investigate further..

post #569 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, and it seems to be the first track listed so I figure it is the default but the problem is that it isn't passing it to the AVR. For dts it is only the core track for example.. Hmm. I will investigate further..

How do you know it's the core track? Your receiver says DTS and not DTS-HD MA? Sounds like Plex is transcoding the audio. If the HTPC is decoding the audio then it should show up as nothing or PCM on the receiver. Do you have a screenshot of the audio configuration in Plex?

post #570 of 1065 Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

How do you know it's the core track? Your receiver says DTS and not DTS-HD MA? Sounds like Plex is transcoding the audio. If the HTPC is decoding the audio then it should show up as nothing or PCM on the receiver. Do you have a screenshot of the audio configuration in Plex?

Yes, when I set PMC to pass the audio through it says dts and not dts-HD/MA. When I set it to WAS API it shows PCM on my AVR. When I put these two together I don't think that the PCM is "lossless" but rather lossless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page