Plex Discussion Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 830 Old 01-26-2014, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure why my plex looks like this, but it does. Works fine otherwise,,,

This isn't the only weird thing that displays as it happens in all layers of Plex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 830 Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've never seen one display like that....weird.
post #723 of 830 Old 01-26-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguidance View Post

Not sure why my plex looks like this, but it does. Works fine otherwise,,,

This isn't the only weird thing that displays as it happens in all layers of Plex.

IIRC, there are some bugs with Intel drivers. Are you on Intel? Latest video drivers?
post #724 of 830 Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Yep. I will look into if I have the latest video drivers, thanks!
post #725 of 830 Old 01-26-2014, 01:20 PM

Updated graphics, no change.
post #726 of 830 Old 01-26-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Updated graphics, no change.

I'm an idiot. I didn't restart. Worked and now looks great, thanks!
post #727 of 830 Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm an idiot. I didn't restart. Worked and now looks great, thanks!

Great! Glad to hear the latest drivers fixed the issue.
post #728 of 830 Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 AM

The only thing I wish Plex had is Live TV support. Were there ever any discussions to add it? I'd hate to leave it for another front end, and probably won't, but that would be the ultimate experience for my situation.
post #729 of 830 Old 01-27-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

The only thing I wish Plex had is Live TV support. Were there ever any discussions to add it? I'd hate to leave it for another front end, and probably won't, but that would be the ultimate experience for my situation.

I'd like to have some sort of user filtering / parental controls. Right now each user has access to the entire media share. If you want someone to not have access to a certain title then you have to create a new folder with that title and that user has to have their own account. I almost went down this path and did create a unique account for my children. Then I realized that each user would need a Plex Pass to be able to use the Plex Pass features even though the main server has a Plex Pass account. The main thing missing here was you can't sync to the device on the child accounts unless they sign up for Plex Pass. I just gave up on that idea for now and each user now just uses my Plex Pass login for their device.

post #730 of 830 Old 01-27-2014, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The only thing I wish Plex had is Live TV support. Were there ever any discussions to add it? ....

I"m sure it's come up, several times over the years. Plus, it's one thing Plex does not have compared to XBMC or Media Browser. I'm not familiar with the other two that much since I have never used MB and it's been years since I used XBMC.

Given what people want 1) electronic program guide (EPG), 2) and the ability to record, and 3) watch live TV, there possible a few issues and it's overall usefulness. The usefulness is probably the biggest question. For me, it would be useful, especially if Plex could allow for remote streaming. It would also useful for me on LAN since Comcast encrypts all channels and I choose not to get cable boxes for all TVs. But I figure I'm more the minority in home usefulness. Most people, probably have either cablebox or antenna feed connected to the TV and use the TV's build in turner to watch live TV. Thus, I think this is more a niche or a niche request.

The EPG, I'm not sure if there are issues. I assume TitanTV would be the popular choice, but I'm not sure if there would be some kind of licensing fee or allow ads to be shown. I think EyeTV use to have it as an option, but there was a fee to continuing using. I think it was TVGuide and, last I knew, it was $20 a year. WIndows Media Center has the fee build into the cost of the OS or Media Center (Windows 8) for it's EPG.

As mentioned earlier, there is a really big issue with cable companies being allowed to encrypted all channels. Since a lot of people have cable, that means they need a cablecard, which means the Plex would have to get cablecard certified. From what I read, not cheap nor quick. This is one of the reasons why WIndows Media Center is the only one cablecard certified. The XBMC option would fines for ClearQAM or OTA channels.

The recording and playback is probably the easiest. I would assume it either be server addon or a second server. Plex can play WTV (WIndows Media Center recordings); although fast forward and rewind don't work very well, but skip works ok.

That said, back on Plex 8.5, there was a plugin one guy did that did allow Plex to play live TV with the HDHomeerun. It's was rough. No EPG, no TV channel listing, so to speak. It had it, but it was more like what you saw with the other libraries like movies and TV shows. I don't think it ever got to beta. I did use it here and there, since the TV I had predated ClearQAM and OSX only had few options for TV--EyeTV, MythTV, and SageTV. I was familiar enough with OSX and had issues getting MythTV to install and work; never got it to work. SageTV worked, but ran into a wierd audio issue, and didn't care how it worked the DiNovo Mini. EyeTV had no trail period and the return policy was horrible for the software only purchase. The Plex channel worked, but the player needed work. THe picture had a bit of fuzzyness; I assume it had to do with deinterlacing. Thus, I think it's possible.
post #731 of 830 Old 01-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I'd like to have some sort of user filtering / parental controls. Right now each user has access to the entire media share. If you want someone to not have access to a certain title then you have to create a new folder with that title and that user has to have their own account. ....

I think this is more a classic conundrum of how Plex is organized. I have ran into this sort of situation too. I haven't found a good solution to it either.

The options are either to setup collections, which is really just tagging movies into groups. Thus, you could create say a Kids collection with the main movies library. The issue, you still need to go into the main movies library and scroll to collections to bring it up. Thus, if you have content the kids are not to access, it doesn't hide it from them and very accessible.

I don't have any kids in my house. But there are movies I don't care or plan to watch that other's do, specially one person. What I did, I created a specific folder to hold those digitized movies. Then, I create a movie library specifically for that person. Although not perfect, may be more inline to you wants. The content you don't want available will still be accessible, but at least the kids won't have to go into the library with it. Plus, if you won't their stuff mixed in with your library, you'll be able to separate it.

Obviously, this does not solve the sync issue.
post #732 of 830 Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Recently freshening up my network with an AC1750 dual band router and Roku3. Regarding Plex, any off the cuff recommendations for max streaming settings? Roku is wireless, server is gigE wired AMD A8 APU. Pushing mostly WTV.
post #733 of 830 Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 AM

Liked: 12
Received my Chromecast Friday and what a great little device this thing is!!!! Not only is it a breeze to configure, it helped me find a solution to streaming large Blu ray rips over my wifi network without any buffering or lag.

I subscribed to Plexpass and didn't have to do anything to configure the Chromecast or settings within Plex.

I'm now running two Plex servers until I can upgrade my HTPC. I discovered that my i5 based Dell laptop can push content over my wireless network better than my HTPC which has an older amd dual core processor (Delll Zino HD). The laptop Plex Server strictly manages movies, while my HTPC manages tv shows recorded from Windows Media Center and channels. It's a seemless set up.

I pushed a 33gig m2ts file of The Dark Knight Rises to my Ipad via Plex and it played without a hitch. I then sent the video to the Chromecast, again flawless playback.

I currently have it connected to my Pioneer receiver and it will audio comes out as PCM, not Dolby Digital or DTS. Some Netflix movies will playback in Dolby a Digital Plus and the video quality for some of the content coming from Netflix looks incredible.

The Chromecast will go I my son's room where he can push Netflix and Youtube videos from his Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

I resurrected my Raspberry Pi as well and installed Rasplex, I did not enjoy the experience, for the interface was too slow compared to, Rasbmc and Openelec.
post #734 of 830 Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I had something odd just happen...all my movies that were in video_ts or bdmv format were removed when I updated the library. Only .avi, .mkv and the like remain. Anyone know why this happened?
post #735 of 830 Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

I had something odd just happen...all my movies that were in video_ts or bdmv format were removed when I updated the library. Only .avi, .mkv and the like remain. Anyone know why this happened?

Are you using the Partial Scan feature introduced in the 0.9.9.1 PMS update last week?

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

post #736 of 830 Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I just had my TV calibrated, and I noticed when I went into Plex, the black and white clipping was slightly off. It took me forever to find the brightness/contrast controls. They live in the video player itself.
I was surprised to find out that 1) these were not global settings, and 2) that any adjustments reset when starting a new video.

Anyone else find that odd/inconvenient? I went into the xml file "guisettings" and changed the defaults to "51" from "50" and all is set as it should be now.

I'm right in assuming there is no global brightness/contrast adjustment, right? Strange.

(and before you ask, my TV settings were "locked" int he ISF modes, so I couldn't change it on my TV).
post #737 of 830 Old 02-05-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

I just had my TV calibrated, and I noticed when I went into Plex, the black and white clipping was slightly off. It took me forever to find the brightness/contrast controls. They live in the video player itself.
I was surprised to find out that 1) these were not global settings, and 2) that any adjustments reset when starting a new video.

Anyone else find that odd/inconvenient? I went into the xml file "guisettings" and changed the defaults to "51" from "50" and all is set as it should be now.

I'm right in assuming there is no global brightness/contrast adjustment, right? Strange.

(and before you ask, my TV settings were "locked" int he ISF modes, so I couldn't change it on my TV).

What video card are you using? Are you sure you have the correct pixel format selected in your video card's settings?
post #738 of 830 Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

What video card are you using? Are you sure you have the correct pixel format selected in your video card's settings?

Hi,
Thanks. I'm using a Radeon 5450, and I have it set to "use player settings", RBG limited, superwhite on, and my tv is set to the RGB limited space.
Really, it is very close (51, instead of 50, for contrast and brightness).

I think I may test the patterns directly on the tv as well, maybe the adjustments were just off a little bit (but I'm wondering if they are just slightly off on clipping to compensate for another pq area).
post #739 of 830 Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

Are you using the Partial Scan feature introduced in the 0.9.9.1 PMS update last week?

I am just using a normal scan. The version of PMS is 0.9.8.17. It seems like maybe plex has stopped recognizing bdmv and video_ts? If so then no more plex for me; my entire library is bdmv or video_ts.

Edit: upgraded to 0.9.8.18 and still have the issue.
post #740 of 830 Old 02-11-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

I am just using a normal scan. The version of PMS is 0.9.8.17. It seems like maybe plex has stopped recognizing bdmv and video_ts? If so then no more plex for me; my entire library is bdmv or video_ts.
I just noticed two DVD movies in my Plex library are marked "in the trash". They are the only two I have in video_ts folders. I can easily make them m2ts like the rest of my DVD movies, but it's very disturbing. You are being very calm about this. If the bulk of my Plex library disappeared I would be very upset.

My PMS version is 0.9.8.18 and has been working well until now. I have recently made changes to Media Browser (server, classic, theater) and added ServerWMC. Have you been doing anything like that?
post #741 of 830 Old 02-11-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I did a little digging at the Plex forum and discovered folder capability has been removed from Plex.

See: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/97580-media-files-disappeared-randomly/

There is a workaround mentioned but it doesn't seem to stick. Maybe you will have better luck with it. I guess I'm going to convert my two movies.
post #742 of 830 Old 02-11-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I did a little digging at the Plex forum and discovered folder capability has been removed from Plex.

See: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/97580-media-files-disappeared-randomly/

There is a workaround mentioned but it doesn't seem to stick. Maybe you will have better luck with it. I guess I'm going to convert my two movies.

Hmm..that started out looking promising but didn't actually work. I am not going to convert all my movies just for plex so I will look into other options until this gets fixed. The plex developers seem to think that plex is used for only one thing but it isnt...its very frustrating that they have removed functionality like this.
post #743 of 830 Old 02-12-2014, 06:31 AM

Liked: 12
Just started using plex. Have dvds and blu rays to rip. Should I rip dvds in mp4, mp4 HD, mkv, or mkv HD format? As for blu rays? Using Aimersoft to rip; thanks.
post #744 of 830 Old 02-12-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawie01 View Post

Just started using plex. Have dvds and blu rays to rip. Should I rip dvds in mp4, mp4 HD, mkv, or mkv HD format? As for blu rays? Using Aimersoft to rip; thanks.

I rip to MKV using MakeMKV. Easy to use and the quality is preserved.
post #745 of 830 Old 02-12-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I installed Plex Home Theater on my HTPC today for the fun of it, but I'm getting serious pixelation during scene changes in movies. I have a second gen Intel i5 which has HD 3000 graphics and I updated to the latest drivers to see if that helped. I have DXVA options enabled and tried the full screen windowed mode off and on.

Any ideas?

post #746 of 830 Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I installed Plex Home Theater on my HTPC today for the fun of it, but I'm getting serious pixelation during scene changes in movies. I have a second gen Intel i5 which has HD 3000 graphics and I updated to the latest drivers to see if that helped. I have DXVA options enabled and tried the full screen windowed mode off and on.

Any ideas?
You could try changing the streaming quality settings in the Plex Server. I have my local quality set to 3 Mbps 720p with Direct Play and Direct Stream checked.
post #747 of 830 Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

You could try changing the streaming quality settings in the Plex Server. I have my local quality set to 3 Mbps 720p with Direct Play and Direct Stream checked.

Transcoding is turned off by default in Plex Home Theater (assuming this is a local network). Briansj, have you tried turning DXVA off? Do you get the same result?
post #748 of 830 Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Transcoding is turned off by default in Plex Home Theater (assuming this is a local network). Briansj, have you tried turning DXVA off? Do you get the same result?

I noticed this when I checked my server "Videos with subtitles cannot be played directly." My test file has (forced) subtitles.

post #749 of 830 Old 02-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

I've just loaded this software up but it's buffering like crazy or causing my Roku XS to constantly reboot. Settings are 720p with max. 3 MBps (default) which is actually on the low side for streaming content like AVIs and SD MKV's. I was using Mezzmo because it handled DVD ISOs which Plex can't do (never figured out why) but had no scraping for content. I also have Plex on my Android and iOS tablets since the apps were cheap to buy this week. My streaming computer is an Asus i5 laptop with 6 GB of RAM, so there is more than enough power for this setup. Just don't know what else to try before going back to what I had before (that worked fine with streaming 720p or 1080i/p content...
post #750 of 830 Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What does your network look like?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page