6Likes

post #901 of 915 Old 11-12-2014, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I just did some testing (and wanted to see myself) playing a Full BR Rip on my iPhone / iPad using the Plex app is Direct Play with no transcoding whatsoever. It takes about 20mb/sec to load / buffer then about 6mb/sec sustained after that.
I did not have the same results at all...

Playing a BR rip on my android phone was painful. It played a few seconds, then buffered, then played a few secs, etc. I only let this happen twice since it shouldn't happen at all. This is all internal on my network, not remote. Also, it did transcode both video and audio. I don't get the video transcoding since it is a H264 from MakeMKV, although it is a DTS soundtrack, so down converting to AAC audio is understandable.

My server shouldn't be a problem; I'm running an i5 4460, which has a great (I thought) benchmark, and nothing else is running on that computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 915 Old 11-12-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
FWIW, I'm definitely getting 5.1 audio from Plex on my Xbox360.
What type of files are you playing? AVIs?
post #903 of 915 Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighting Guy View Post
I did not have the same results at all...

Playing a BR rip on my android phone was painful. It played a few seconds, then buffered, then played a few secs, etc. I only let this happen twice since it shouldn't happen at all. This is all internal on my network, not remote. Also, it did transcode both video and audio. I don't get the video transcoding since it is a H264 from MakeMKV, although it is a DTS soundtrack, so down converting to AAC audio is understandable.

My server shouldn't be a problem; I'm running an i5 4460, which has a great (I thought) benchmark, and nothing else is running on that computer.
The system I am using is well below the power of yours. I am using an old AMD Processor that seems to keep up with my needs without any issues but I have that machine dedicated to it.

The interesting thing I noticed afterward is that the player app on my iPhone shows that it should be using no more than 3mb / sec (hard set in the IOS App Settings) and it was taking way more then that.

Issues like that inside of your house that doesn't sound right at all, you should be able to get flawless playback unless there is some major wireless interference or some other kind of network issue preventing it. Do you have something else you can try it on wirelessly like a laptop?

Last edited by funhouse69; 11-12-2014 at 09:17 PM.
post #904 of 915 Old 11-13-2014, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighting guy View Post
what type of files are you playing? Avis?
mp4
post #905 of 915 Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I know the consensus is to due BD Rips to MKV and call it a day. If I wanted to go one step further, and encode with Handbrake, do you guys have any recommendation on the file type/settings I should use? I had a custom preset for Apple TV2 conversions, but now that I've moved to Plex, I know I have a lot more flexibility!

Thanks!

Yamaha RX-V675 | Primus 363s fronts | Primus 163 rears | Primus 351 Center | Rythmik LV12R Sub
post #906 of 915 Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1 View Post
I know the consensus is to due BD Rips to MKV and call it a day. If I wanted to go one step further, and encode with Handbrake, do you guys have any recommendation on the file type/settings I should use? I had a custom preset for Apple TV2 conversions, but now that I've moved to Plex, I know I have a lot more flexibility!

Thanks!
What's the goal?
post #907 of 915 Old 11-20-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I make the best file type I can and then let plex transcode if and when necessary, haven't had an issue yet whether it's a mobile device, tablet, ROKU, Apple tv, or computer.
post #908 of 915 Old 11-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Plex issue - I can't get the Plex DLNA server to work with a Sony Bravia TV. However, JRiver works perfectly.

Suggestions?
post #909 of 915 Old 11-20-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
I've been messing around with Handbrake lately and I have to say that I am impressed with it. I found this thread and have been trying some of the settings. So you will need figure out what your needs are and take it from there.

I am taking a 30ish GB Blu Ray Rips and compressing it down to a 4-6GB Range that looks awesome on my 55" TV. I play them back to back and can't really tell the difference.

*OPTIMAL* settings for Handbrake? (Blu-ray and DVD rips)
Ken.F likes this.
post #910 of 915 Old 11-21-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Plex finally gets profiles.

https://blog.plex.tv/2014/11/20/introducing-plex-home/

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #911 of 915 Old 11-21-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post
Plex finally gets profiles.

https://blog.plex.tv/2014/11/20/introducing-plex-home/

Mr Zoid
I saw that announcement the other day, pretty cool for sure! I know a few people that have been waiting for it. I bet the people that didn't sign up for their lifetime plex pass before the price went up are sad now
post #912 of 915 Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
What's the goal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I've been messing around with Handbrake lately and I have to say that I am impressed with it. I found this thread and have been trying some of the settings. So you will need figure out what your needs are and take it from there.

I am taking a 30ish GB Blu Ray Rips and compressing it down to a 4-6GB Range that looks awesome on my 55" TV. I play them back to back and can't really tell the difference.

*OPTIMAL* settings for Handbrake? (Blu-ray and DVD rips)
I'm looking to shrink down the file size of the MKV. 30GB, while I do have the space, is a bit large for my liking to stream a movie. I of course am looking for the least amount of compression. I'd love lossless audio and focus mainly on the video for compression, but even that, I'd like to not lose all to much.

Yamaha RX-V675 | Primus 363s fronts | Primus 163 rears | Primus 351 Center | Rythmik LV12R Sub
post #913 of 915 Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
I'm looking to shrink down the file size of the MKV. 30GB, while I do have the space, is a bit large for my liking to stream a movie. I of course am looking for the least amount of compression. I'd love lossless audio and focus mainly on the video for compression, but even that, I'd like to not lose all to much.
Here's a pretty good starting point:
Any way to reduce 1080p Video size without losing quality?
post #914 of 915 Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
FWIW, I'm definitely getting 5.1 audio from Plex on my Xbox360.
I was wrong. I'm only getting 5.1 from my Roku.

Sorry.
post #915 of 915 Old 11-27-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxxm View Post
Obviously for lightweight clients like the iPhone, you'll probably need to o transcode.
I just tried playing a Full Blu Ray rip on my iPhone and it used Direct Play. Obviously this is inside of my house / network and was using about 30mb/sec of bandwidth.

I know outside of my network it does Transcode (based on the settings in the App / Server).
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page