Plex Discussion Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
post #931 of 949 Old 12-06-2014, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I picked up a PI today & installed RasPlex but I could use some help configuring the PI to prevent stuttering.
I'm using a tiny USB wifi dongle.

My Plex server (i5 core) has a 1:1 MKV I created from my the matrix bluray disc & gigabit internet.

The PI can't handle playing this obviously. So I dropped the bitrate down to 1MBps @ 1080p. Obviously the graphics look bad but this was the fastest way I determined to get smooth playback.
When I change the bitrate on the PI Plex client is that forcing the PI to transcode or is it forcing the server to do so?

I tried upping the bitrate to 4MBps @ 1080p but the video stuttered badly. Just looking for other possible solutions. I'm not ready to give up on the PI yet! Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 949 Old 12-06-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangstang View Post
When I change the bitrate on the PI Plex client is that forcing the PI to transcode or is it forcing the server to do so?
I'm pretty sure all transcoding is done at the computer that has Plex server installed on it.
post #933 of 949 Old 12-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I'm pretty sure all transcoding is done at the computer that has Plex server installed on it.
Yes Ken after so more research I believe you are right.

Based on some other things I've ready online I'm going to do the following:
1) Change to a USB 3.0 drive instead of the Class 10 SD Card
2) Getting rid of WiFi in favor of a hard network cable

I'm also reading that the pi isn't good for a bitrate much > 20

Last edited by stangstang; 12-06-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: language
post #934 of 949 Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 AM

Just wanted to add that a 100mbit connection makes the pi run 20Mbit transcoding very smooth. It has resolved my stuttering issues.
Ken.F likes this.
post #935 of 949 Old 12-17-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
New PS3 and PS4 app released in Europe and most of Asia, coming soon to the rest of the of us. Yes!!!!
https://blog.plex.tv/
post #936 of 949 Unread 12-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I am having a strange issue when trying to play "If I Stay" which is a full blu-ray rip on my HTPC using Plex Home Theater via "Direct Play" the system is more than beefy enough to play anything I throw at it. I can actually play the video from the NAS Share itself with VLC no problem but through plex it stutters like it is in slow motion and I have no audio/

If I go in and change the setting to anything other then direct play it works fine. Interestingly enough it shows that it isn't only transcoding the video but the audio as well even though I have it set to support pretty much every audio format including TrueHD and DTS-HD.

I can play it on any other client without any issues, I just tried it on my iPhone and it shows that is playing on it via Direct Play.

Any thoughts?
post #937 of 949 Unread 12-20-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Is this the only title you are having trouble with?

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #938 of 949 Unread 12-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post
Is this the only title you are having trouble with?
I just checked a half dozen or so other movies back in "Direct Play" mode and they all seem to be fine.

How can you tell what the bit-rate is of the movie? Could that have something to do with it? The movie isn't that long (compared to something like say Avatar) but the Rip is over 41GB is size.

I re-ripped it (using MakeMKV) and I am still having the same issue. I am not doing anything to the movie (like with Hand Brake) this is just a clean rip.
post #939 of 949 Unread 12-20-2014, 07:34 PM

VLC should be able to tell you the bitrate.

Most of the time when I have rip issues it's a disk error.

post #940 of 949 Unread Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So my sister has a tablet (quad core-Spec) that runs full windows 8.1. It does not have a HDMI port. To get around this I was thinking about installing Plex server on the tablet and then install it on her roku. She could then open server when she wants to watch something (not always running to save resources).

Would this work? Think tablet would have the horsepower to act as a server?

Anyone know how plex might compare with media browser, given how im thinking about using it?
post #941 of 949 Unread Yesterday, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2300NX View Post
So my sister has a tablet (quad core-Spec) that runs full windows 8.1. It does not have a HDMI port. To get around this I was thinking about installing Plex server on the tablet and then install it on her roku. She could then open server when she wants to watch something (not always running to save resources).

Would this work? Think tablet would have the horsepower to act as a server?

Anyone know how plex might compare with media browser, given how im thinking about using it?
You want the server to run on a 32GB tablet? That isn't much media. Plus that thing only has 2GB of RAM. It would be fine running the Plex client, but the server is pushing it.

post #942 of 949 Unread Yesterday, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
You want the server to run on a 32GB tablet? That isn't much media. Plus that thing only has 2GB of RAM. It would be fine running the Plex client, but the server is pushing it.
The server can be on a separate system than the media host.

As long as it doesn't require transcoding the tablet should be fine for server duties.

Mr Zoid

post #943 of 949 Unread Today, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I am having a strange issue when trying to play "If I Stay" which is a full blu-ray rip on my HTPC using Plex Home Theater via "Direct Play" the system is more than beefy enough to play anything I throw at it. I can actually play the video from the NAS Share itself with VLC no problem but through plex it stutters like it is in slow motion and I have no audio/
Did you try raising the cache level in Plex Home Theater settings?
post #944 of 949 Unread Today, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did you try raising the cache level in Plex Home Theater settings?
Its set to the default 5%, I haven't touched it but will give it a shot. I can't imagine that 1) My network / NAS can't keep up 2) That the cache is getting depleted that quickly as the movie doesn't even start playing normally it is stuttering from the second it starts to play.

But with that said I will certainly give it a shot, it can't hurt.

Denon AVR-X5200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & CDT-5800-C II sitting waiting to be installed for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #945 of 949 Unread Today, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2300NX View Post
So my sister has a tablet (quad core-Spec) that runs full windows 8.1. It does not have a HDMI port. To get around this I was thinking about installing Plex server on the tablet and then install it on her roku.
Now that's thinking outside of the box! I'm very curious to see if this works.

If it doesn't work maybe she can score an old PC from a friend or relative to run Plex server on.
post #946 of 949 Unread Today, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Its set to the default 5%, I haven't touched it but will give it a shot. I can't imagine that 1) My network / NAS can't keep up 2) That the cache is getting depleted that quickly as the movie doesn't even start playing normally it is stuttering from the second it starts to play.

But with that said I will certainly give it a shot, it can't hurt.
Does it transcode both the video and audio with Direct Streaming? When trying this make sure subtitles are turned off.
post #947 of 949 Unread Today, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I recently noticed Plex was updated on my Roku and extras are now available. Thanks Plex team!
post #948 of 949 Unread Today, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does it transcode both the video and audio with Direct Streaming? When trying this make sure subtitles are turned off.
That is the strange part of this, my Plex HT Edition is set for Direct Play and it does Direct Play 99% of my movies. That said this one in particular (as I mentioned) is showing that it is transcoding audio and video even though my set up supports ever possible format of audio that the movie should have. I also have no clue why it would be trasncoding the video in this case.

I have Subtitles Turned off and it was ripped with MakeMKV and that is it, no compression or anything afterward.

Another interesting tidbit is that if I play the same exact movie on my iPhone it shows it playing via Direct Play with no transcoding whatsoever? Um what??? =) How can my iPhone support the video / audio format better than my gazzilion dollar home theater set up?

I have all of the supported audio formats checked off in the setup as well.

Denon AVR-X5200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & CDT-5800-C II sitting waiting to be installed for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #949 of 949 Unread Today, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is the strange part of this, my Plex HT Edition is set for Direct Play and it does Direct Play 99% of my movies.
I need to apologize to you. I asked you to try Direct Stream, which is different than Direct Play, thinking Plex Home Theater can do that. The Plex app on my blu ray players look just like Plex Home Theater and I was confusing them. I just looked at my Plex Home Theater and I don't think you can specify Direct Stream. Sorry for sending you on a wild-goose chase.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page