post #961 of 963 Unread Today, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
The only problem with that is even if you use an HDMI ARC Connection to your AVR you are probably not going to get anything more then stereo which is an issue with TVs not passing Dolby. This also stands true with the Optical Cable, there are very few exceptions / TVs that do it.
I must be very lucky. I tried it on two different TVs and both of them can pass Dolby from the HDMI input to the S/PDIF audio out. Neither TV will do it from the HDMI/DVI combo input but will from the other HDMI inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 963 Unread Today, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I assume the TV is a "Smart" TV? If so does it have DLNA Support? You might be able to enable the DLNA Server in Plex and be good to go.

The only problem with that is even if you use an HDMI ARC Connection to your AVR you are probably not going to get anything more then stereo which is an issue with TVs not passing Dolby. This also stands true with the Optical Cable, there are very few exceptions / TVs that do it.

Personally I would avoid anything wireless but that is personal preference but if you have a full Blu Ray Rip of something like say the remastered Fifth Element you will be looking at about 40mb/sec of bandwidth needed to do a "Direct Play".

I'd try the DLNA Solution first as it doesn't require anything additional from there you can try something like a Roku or even some Blu-Ray players that support DLNA as well as Plex (depending on the player). If you want the best possible sound you might have to lean towards an actual media player or an HTPC.
Thanks for the reply mate.

Yes the TV is a smart TV KDL42W706 and it does have DLNA support.

I have a HP Microserver (OS: WHS2011 with HD 5450 graphics) which has all my media on it running via Plex Media Server.
I connected the server through Devolo 1200+ Power adaptors as it is upstairs and TV is down in the living room. My Panasonic Bluray managed to stream the content at full 1080p with DTS audio. The only problem was/is going through the Blu-ray DLNA interface to get the the movies as it is utter pants, just folders and folders to get to the movie you want to watch, same with the Sony DLNA media interface.
This is why I am looking for something else which can work on my TV as a does Plex Client on my computer monitor.

I am just looking at Plex Home Theatre see how it is different to PMS and how I can get it to show up on my tv.
post #963 of 963 Unread Today, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvogue View Post
Thanks for the reply mate.

Yes the TV is a smart TV KDL42W706 and it does have DLNA support.

I have a HP Microserver (OS: WHS2011 with HD 5450 graphics) which has all my media on it running via Plex Media Server.
I connected the server through Devolo 1200+ Power adaptors as it is upstairs and TV is down in the living room. My Panasonic Bluray managed to stream the content at full 1080p with DTS audio. The only problem was/is going through the Blu-ray DLNA interface to get the the movies as it is utter pants, just folders and folders to get to the movie you want to watch, same with the Sony DLNA media interface.
This is why I am looking for something else which can work on my TV as a does Plex Client on my computer monitor.

I am just looking at Plex Home Theatre see how it is different to PMS and how I can get it to show up on my tv.
If you want to get the full Plex "Experience" you have a few options, but would require a TV That supports it (I believe Samsung is the only one so far) or get some kind of external hardware like a Roku, Amazon Fire TV, X-Box, Play Station. The Plex website also lists Vizio and LG but I am not sure if that is their TVs or not.

Those all have an "App" if you want to run Plex Home Theater (which I really like) you will need some kind of Computer to run it. Putting together a small HTPC isn't a big deal but only you can decide if you want to go in that direction.

Denon AVR-X5200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & CDT-5800-C II sitting waiting to be installed for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Reply Home Theater Computers