post #961 of 973 Old 12-25-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
The only problem with that is even if you use an HDMI ARC Connection to your AVR you are probably not going to get anything more then stereo which is an issue with TVs not passing Dolby. This also stands true with the Optical Cable, there are very few exceptions / TVs that do it.
I must be very lucky. I tried it on two different TVs and both of them can pass Dolby from the HDMI input to the S/PDIF audio out. Neither TV will do it from the HDMI/DVI combo input but will from the other HDMI inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 973 Old 12-25-2014, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I assume the TV is a "Smart" TV? If so does it have DLNA Support? You might be able to enable the DLNA Server in Plex and be good to go.

The only problem with that is even if you use an HDMI ARC Connection to your AVR you are probably not going to get anything more then stereo which is an issue with TVs not passing Dolby. This also stands true with the Optical Cable, there are very few exceptions / TVs that do it.

Personally I would avoid anything wireless but that is personal preference but if you have a full Blu Ray Rip of something like say the remastered Fifth Element you will be looking at about 40mb/sec of bandwidth needed to do a "Direct Play".

I'd try the DLNA Solution first as it doesn't require anything additional from there you can try something like a Roku or even some Blu-Ray players that support DLNA as well as Plex (depending on the player). If you want the best possible sound you might have to lean towards an actual media player or an HTPC.
Thanks for the reply mate.

Yes the TV is a smart TV KDL42W706 and it does have DLNA support.

I have a HP Microserver (OS: WHS2011 with HD 5450 graphics) which has all my media on it running via Plex Media Server.
I connected the server through Devolo 1200+ Power adaptors as it is upstairs and TV is down in the living room. My Panasonic Bluray managed to stream the content at full 1080p with DTS audio. The only problem was/is going through the Blu-ray DLNA interface to get the the movies as it is utter pants, just folders and folders to get to the movie you want to watch, same with the Sony DLNA media interface.
This is why I am looking for something else which can work on my TV as a does Plex Client on my computer monitor.

I am just looking at Plex Home Theatre see how it is different to PMS and how I can get it to show up on my tv.
post #963 of 973 Old 12-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvogue View Post
Thanks for the reply mate.

Yes the TV is a smart TV KDL42W706 and it does have DLNA support.

I have a HP Microserver (OS: WHS2011 with HD 5450 graphics) which has all my media on it running via Plex Media Server.
I connected the server through Devolo 1200+ Power adaptors as it is upstairs and TV is down in the living room. My Panasonic Bluray managed to stream the content at full 1080p with DTS audio. The only problem was/is going through the Blu-ray DLNA interface to get the the movies as it is utter pants, just folders and folders to get to the movie you want to watch, same with the Sony DLNA media interface.
This is why I am looking for something else which can work on my TV as a does Plex Client on my computer monitor.

I am just looking at Plex Home Theatre see how it is different to PMS and how I can get it to show up on my tv.
If you want to get the full Plex "Experience" you have a few options, but would require a TV That supports it (I believe Samsung is the only one so far) or get some kind of external hardware like a Roku, Amazon Fire TV, X-Box, Play Station. The Plex website also lists Vizio and LG but I am not sure if that is their TVs or not.

Those all have an "App" if you want to run Plex Home Theater (which I really like) you will need some kind of Computer to run it. Putting together a small HTPC isn't a big deal but only you can decide if you want to go in that direction.

Denon AVR-X5200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & CDT-5800-C II sitting waiting to be installed for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #964 of 973 Old 12-26-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
If you want to get the full Plex "Experience" you have a few options, but would require a TV That supports it (I believe Samsung is the only one so far) or get some kind of external hardware like a Roku, Amazon Fire TV, X-Box, Play Station. The Plex website also lists Vizio and LG but I am not sure if that is their TVs or not.

Those all have an "App" if you want to run Plex Home Theater (which I really like) you will need some kind of Computer to run it. Putting together a small HTPC isn't a big deal but only you can decide if you want to go in that direction.
Unfortunately I have only recently bought my Sony TV, not sure about returning it as its a decent display.

I have decided to order Rasberry Pi B+ with Flirc (have a Harmony Touch coming) and put Rasplex on that, seems to be a cheaper way to get it on there and I think it can pass through everything too.
post #965 of 973 Old 12-26-2014, 01:00 PM

actually I think it can run Plex Home Theatre from that too
post #966 of 973 Old 12-26-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvogue View Post
actually I think it can run Plex Home Theatre from that too
I'm very new to Plex, as I just found out about it on the streaming forum here recently. I bought a Plex Pass subscription so I could run it on my Xbox 360s. I ripped some of the Disney Blu-Rays I own, and I fired up the iPad to test them. They streamed great!

So I turn on the Xbox 360 for movie night to show off, and it says that I must have version 9.11.5 or higher to stream. Uh - ok. So I get on the Plex settings page - and it says I'm on 9.11.4 and I'm up to date. Following Plex forum advice, I installed server versions 9.11.5, 9.11.6, and 9.11.7 and none of them allow the Xbox 360 to play. No one on those forums seems to have any answers.

Have any of you ever run into that problem? I can't stream on anything else in the LR because they don't have a client for PS3 or AppleTV 3. I'm a big fan of the interface, so I'm wondering if the Xbox problem is a common occurrence. If so, maybe that is a sign I need to invest in a Roku?
post #967 of 973 Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
I'm very new to Plex, as I just found out about it on the streaming forum here recently. I bought a Plex Pass subscription so I could run it on my Xbox 360s. I ripped some of the Disney Blu-Rays I own, and I fired up the iPad to test them. They streamed great!

So I turn on the Xbox 360 for movie night to show off, and it says that I must have version 9.11.5 or higher to stream. Uh - ok. So I get on the Plex settings page - and it says I'm on 9.11.4 and I'm up to date. Following Plex forum advice, I installed server versions 9.11.5, 9.11.6, and 9.11.7 and none of them allow the Xbox 360 to play. No one on those forums seems to have any answers.

Have any of you ever run into that problem? I can't stream on anything else in the LR because they don't have a client for PS3 or AppleTV 3. I'm a big fan of the interface, so I'm wondering if the Xbox problem is a common occurrence. If so, maybe that is a sign I need to invest in a Roku?
I'd reboot the server and restart the app. It works for me because I just set it up a few days ago on a hand-me-down 360. I hadn't updated my server and wasn't on 9.11.5 and had to update.

post #968 of 973 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Tried it... no luck. Even ran the "Search for updates" function to go back up to 9.11.7, but it still won't play. I'm glad it worked for you! Hopefully they can resolve this soon.
post #969 of 973 Old Today, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quick question for the Plex users...

Does everyone run a stand alone HTPC for Plex, or are some of you using a multi purpose PC with Plex Server and then using the PC for daily use for browsing/bill paying/whatever?

I'm due to upgrade my primary PC, and got the "cut some of the cord" and go HTPC bug. Rather than upgrade one box and build another, I'm thinking of just taking my current PC and making a bigger upgrade to more processor power. I don't expect more than possibly two streams at a time usually, and any computer use during that time would more than likely be just browsing or something similar that requires little resources.

We have a Roku and don't mind if the front end is a little clunky, as long as we have access to the media. I just don't like the thought of building two boxes rather than one with higher end specs.

Am I shooting myself in the foot to even think this is possible?
post #970 of 973 Old Today, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have a media server with Plex Server installed. I have had the server piece and media reside on a daily use system in the past. As long as I had the media on a separate drive I had no issues.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #971 of 973 Old Today, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post
I have a media server with Plex Server installed. I have had the server piece and media reside on a daily use system in the past. As long as I had the media on a separate drive I had no issues.

Mr Zoid
Thanks for the quick reply.

Completely understood on the media being on a separate drive. I will likely keep an older small drive for daily files, taxes, stuff that will always be backed up. Then have a large drive or two for music and/or movie media rips.

What are you using for front ends on your viewing devices?

I'm trying not to overbuild, but at the same time give myself some options for some system longevity. I don't mind upgrading, tweaking, etc but with a couple home PCs it's sometimes a never ending thing unless you spend the money up front.
post #972 of 973 Old Today, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 44
HTPC and ROKU 3 in the past

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #973 of 973 Old Today, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by signmaster View Post
Quick question for the Plex users...

Does everyone run a stand alone HTPC for Plex, or are some of you using a multi purpose PC with Plex Server and then using the PC for daily use for browsing/bill paying/whatever?

I'm due to upgrade my primary PC, and got the "cut some of the cord" and go HTPC bug. Rather than upgrade one box and build another, I'm thinking of just taking my current PC and making a bigger upgrade to more processor power. I don't expect more than possibly two streams at a time usually, and any computer use during that time would more than likely be just browsing or something similar that requires little resources.

We have a Roku and don't mind if the front end is a little clunky, as long as we have access to the media. I just don't like the thought of building two boxes rather than one with higher end specs.

Am I shooting myself in the foot to even think this is possible?
I had an old AMD System kicking around that I upgraded the processor to a 6 core and popped a small SSD in it for the Boot Drive (as all of my Media in on my NAS). This system is in my basement / on 24x7 and does my Plex as well as my Weather Station duties.

I can have about 3 - 4 streams going at one time with my family inside or outside of the house. I have a Roku 3 in my bedroom, a Samsung BR Player on another TV and an HTPC in my Livingroom running Plex HT Edition.

This is all personal preference, I know a few people that have Plex Server running on their every day system.

Denon AVR-X5200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & CDT-5800-C II sitting waiting to be installed for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page