Plex Discussion Thread - Page 35 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1021 of 1025 Old 04-23-2015, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So, last night I tried to play "Unbroken". I ripped the BD disc to mkv using MakeMKV and kept in the TrueHD soundtrack. When I tried to play it back in Plex HT, there was no audio. The result was not like typical sound related issues where there would be no sound heard AND the video would stutter in PHT. Rather, the video played perfectly fine, with no dropped frames. There just was no sound. If I switched to the DD 5.1 core track, I again got sound, just no TrueHD.

So I thought maybe its a problem with my drivers/equipment. So I tried to playback another movie with a DTS-HD MA sountrack, played back just fine, no issues. I tried another show that had a LPCM track, that played back fine as well. So for whatever reason, it just wont playback TrueHD. I'm running the latest builds of both the server and the client. Anyone else run into this quirk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1025 Old 04-23-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Do you have another TrueHD track to test?

I think I saw Unbroken has an Atmos track. That could potentially be causing your problems.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #1023 of 1025 Old 04-23-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
Do you have another TrueHD track to test?

I think I saw Unbroken has an Atmos track. That could potentially be causing your problems.
sadly, i dont. or else I would have tested it. And yes, I do know it has an Atmos track but afaik, atmos is fully backwards compatible. I read its layered on top of the TrueHD track and if your AVR supports Atmos, then it makes use of the additional info. Of course you could be right, there could be an issue with PHT/PMS itself having issues with it. In any case I tried the movie late at night, and was too tired to mess around with it.

I will try it with PowerDVD, and if that doesn't work, then Kodi and report back.
post #1024 of 1025 Old 04-23-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 266
FWIW I'm pretty sure both ffdshow and lav had to update their software to deal with Atmos.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #1025 of 1025 Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
I will try it with PowerDVD, and if that doesn't work, then Kodi and report back.
Update: So I installed Kodi, The film with TrueHD works just fine in Kodi, as it should. TrueHD also works in PowerDVD 15 (although I still cannot figure out how to enable 24p output from MKVs in PowerDVD).

So the issue has been isolated to Plex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page