Plex Discussion Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #1081 of 1149 Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Plex forums are up. It sure looks different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1149 Old 07-12-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi all,

I checked out the updated xbox one plex app, and it seems to stream very nicely now with native mkv support. One quick question for anyone using on the xbox one....it doesn't appear to have chapter support. I'll ask on the plex forums but I don't want to get my head chewed off for asking a question that must have been answered before (but I can't find any answer to it...post update...on the newly designed forums).

So...chapter support (i.e., skip chapter) on the xbox one using MKVs...is that possible?

thanks!
post #1083 of 1149 Old 07-14-2015, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by couch000 View Post
Might be the wrong place to ask but is anyone here using Plex with Control4? I'm getting Control4 installed in a few weeks and was wondering about drivers, etc. currently I'm running Plex through a Roku box. Seems to work fine but would like tighter integration with Control4. Thanks!
Hi there,

I use Plex with Control4 and only have it installed about a month. I was using the Plex client for XB1 but found the control of the XB1 was not great and required multiple clicks to get the box to react. I am now using to as part of the control system for the smart tv functions of my Samsung 4k TV and that seems to work well. Still a few issues as I am also using the ARC on the TV to route audio through my amp.

For my projector I use the Plex client on my blueray player and again that is solid enough. I have recently bought an Nvidia Shield but have yet to add that to my Control4 solution. I am still trying to get the perfect solution. My installer did all the config but that's like everything with Control4.

Hope that is of some help,
TCP/IP
post #1084 of 1149 Old 07-26-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post
I've had that happen to me. What I did was uninstall PHT, removed all Plex folders (hidden or otherwise) and made sure Plex was also out of the registry. I then rebooted the server and reinstalled PHT. It's been working good for me since.
So I spent all day today trying to hunt down the cause and fix for this issue:

Problem: If you launch Plex HT from inside Windows Media Center, Plex HT will launch fine, THE FIRST TIME. If you close Plex and return to WMC, then try to return to Plex, You will get a black screen. The system isnt frozen, the controls still work, (so I blindly push the left arrow key once, and then 'enter' and that shuts down Plex and returns me to WMC). If you then close WMC, and restart WMC without restarting the computer, you can again enter Plex HT ONE time.

I have tried uninstalling Plex, by removing the application and the AppData in the Roaming folder, and reinstalled Plex, same issue remains.
I have tried it on 3 separate computers (2012 Mac mini running Windows 7 with HD 4000 drivers, Haswell intel Nuc i3 and two i5s) and they all had the same result.

Cause:
If you go enable the "adjust framerate to video" AND you enable "Use true full screen instead of full screen window", this above problem happens.
The reason I have to enable "use true full screen instead of full screen window" is that without that option being ticked, the video slows down and skips horribly during 24p playback while the audio track plays along just fine. To get 23.976hz playback with HD audio sound, you have to enable the "use true full screen...." option. And if you enable that option, you get the above problem.

Solution:
One solution is to set the "enable display blacking during playback" option and restarting the computer immediately after enabling it. If you do this, you can leave the "use true fullscreen window" and 'adjust framerate" options enabled, and be able to switch into and out of Plex and WMC without the blank screen problem. HOWEVER, if you enter PlexHT and start to play a video file, then stop it, exit plex and try to re-enter plex from WMC, the same problem reappears where you get the black screen. If you restart the computer, you reset the sequence.

I think there's an issue with plex not actually shutting down when you press the 'close' option but instead minimizing. I dont know how to get around this. I'm hoping someone here can replicate this problem so I know it's not just me.
post #1085 of 1149 Old 07-27-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I haven't found that setting for adjust frame rate to video. I need to look harder!
post #1086 of 1149 Old 07-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I am having difficulties getting my Plex Set up for Remote access and hoped maybe someone here could help.

I believe my issue is somewhat 'double NAT' related. My set up is something like this:

- Fioptics from outside of house, to an inside 'box'
- Cat5 wire to a cable provider, provided modem with a MoCA for Cable output. This is a ZTE ZXHN H368C modem.
- Cat5 Wire to my main Home Router (Asus RC66)
- Cat5 from home router to HTPC running Plex Media Server.

I just installed all this last Thursday and signed up for the Plex Pass. I have been able to get Plex to run on my 'on network' devices. I installed Plex on my cell phone (Galaxy Note 4), and it will plan when my phone is using my local network WiFi connection.

I set up a "Static IP" address on my ASUS Router, and then did a manual Port Forwarding in Plex (using the required port, I think 32400, but don't have it in front of me).

I also attempted to set up my cable provider/ Fioptics modem as a "Bridge", although, I don't know if I did that process right or not.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?
post #1087 of 1149 Old 07-27-2015, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post

I set up a "Static IP" address on my ASUS Router, and then did a manual Port Forwarding in Plex (using the required port, I think 32400, but don't have it in front of me).

I also attempted to set up my cable provider/ Fioptics modem as a "Bridge", although, I don't know if I did that process right or not.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

Did you see these instructions on the Plex fourms:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...er-connections

After setting a static IP:

In my router settings there is a 'Local Port' = 32400, and a 'Public Port' = 10041

On the Plex server settings page, somehow the above port #10041 was pre-populated in the box with the 'Manually specify port' check mark box next to it. So that is what I entered in my router port forwarding settings.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Port Forwarding.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	855098  
post #1088 of 1149 Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I haven't found that setting for adjust frame rate to video. I need to look harder!
Plex / Preferences / "Change Preferences for Playback" / Advanced Video / "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" set to "on"

Plex / Preferences / "Change Preferences for System" / Advanced / "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" set to "unchecked"

if you do this, you should get a black screen if you: start up WMC, then launch plex from WMC, close Plex (so you go back to WMC) and then launch Plex a second time from WMC.
post #1089 of 1149 Old 07-29-2015, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post
Did you see these instructions on the Plex fourms:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...er-connections

After setting a static IP:

In my router settings there is a 'Local Port' = 32400, and a 'Public Port' = 10041

On the Plex server settings page, somehow the above port #10041 was pre-populated in the box with the 'Manually specify port' check mark box next to it. So that is what I entered in my router port forwarding settings.

I did see those instructions, they guided me in setting up my Static IP Address and my initial Port Forwarding. I then reread them, and figured out I likely had the Double NAT situation, and have tried to fix that.

I just looked at one of the 'links' on the double NAT, and it appears to be slightly different than what I previously tried, so, I'll give it a go and see if that works for me. Thanks for the help.
post #1090 of 1149 Old 08-03-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
Plex / Preferences / "Change Preferences for Playback" / Advanced Video / "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" set to "on"

Plex / Preferences / "Change Preferences for System" / Advanced / "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" set to "unchecked"

if you do this, you should get a black screen if you: start up WMC, then launch plex from WMC, close Plex (so you go back to WMC) and then launch Plex a second time from WMC.
When I am in PHT, I have "Adjust display to..." either off, Start/Stop, or Always. Going to try "always"

What's the difference on fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen? I've been set to fullscreen window up to now.
post #1091 of 1149 Old 08-03-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I am in PHT, I have "Adjust display to..." either off, Start/Stop, or Always. Going to try "always"

What's the difference on fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen? I've been set to fullscreen window up to now.
on my two displays (a projector and a plasma tv), setting it to anything other than 'true fullscreen' not only makes the video stutter while playing back a 24hz steam with HD audio, but after it returns you to the PHT home screen, it refuses to return to 60hz and does 24hz when you scroll through the PHT menus. essentially it reverses what it should be doing. idk, i can live with the annoyance now that I know Plex is at fault, not my own hardware. my parents on the other hand...
post #1092 of 1149 Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I played around with it tonight - I had no idea my HTPC could look so good! I'm used to a fantastic picture when playing BDs off my PS3, but now watching the rips I've made with MakeMKV look darn near as good. I played movie after movie, sometimes they were 24hz, sometimes they were 60, and exited Plex, went back in, etc., and had no issues. All I can say is that I'm glad you said something about this setting because I'm blown away how great it looks when the refresh rate matches the source.

FWIW, I'm on a 65" Panasonic VT60 with NO motion smoothing (I can't stand it) and 24hz set to display at 96hz. In fact, I'm using D-Nice's calibration settings to the "T". Now I'm even more in love with my VT60.
post #1093 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Note: I have not read every post on this thread.

I have a Windows based music server with JRiver and while the audio and functionality are great, I HATE Windows. After all of this time, Windows still feels like it is written on top of DOS. Stupid non-descriptve error message, etc.

I will have a spare MacBook Pro soon and would like to use it (along with some external Hard Drives) to rip and play some of my frequently watched Blurays (all audio formats, including Atmos). So I am looking for a ripping solution and integratd playback solution with out me worrying about all of the inner workings of the software.

So some questioins: (1) can a MacBook Pro work in this capacity and; (2) if so, would the video and/or audio capabilities need to be modified? (3) is my requrement for super simplicity of use unrealistic?

Thanks.

Our Theater

FS: PurePower 1050 Regenerator/Conditioner - Price Reduced

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated
post #1094 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Plex won't rip for you, so I believe it fails your integrated solution criteria. You may be better off starting a separate thread, as probably only Plex users are going to visit this one.
post #1095 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Maybe "integrated" was a poor choice of words. I don't mund if they are two separate pieces of software. My music server uses two pieces and that is fine.

Our Theater

FS: PurePower 1050 Regenerator/Conditioner - Price Reduced

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated
post #1096 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, Plex server and Plex Home Theater are both available for Mac, so that solves that side. I'm not a Mac guy, so I don't know about what audio formats are supported on your Mac, though.
post #1097 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ipad air stutters and stops playing movies

.mkv some dvd some blu-ray

i5-3470 8gb ram

2.4g wifi, only thing on wi-fi

help with some settings etc
post #1098 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So, I played around with it tonight - I had no idea my HTPC could look so good! I'm used to a fantastic picture when playing BDs off my PS3, but now watching the rips I've made with MakeMKV look darn near as good. I played movie after movie, sometimes they were 24hz, sometimes they were 60, and exited Plex, went back in, etc., and had no issues. All I can say is that I'm glad you said something about this setting because I'm blown away how great it looks when the refresh rate matches the source.

FWIW, I'm on a 65" Panasonic VT60 with NO motion smoothing (I can't stand it) and 24hz set to display at 96hz. In fact, I'm using D-Nice's calibration settings to the "T". Now I'm even more in love with my VT60.
well i'm glad you discovered 24p. Are you using a Haswell generation CPU? I'm using sillysally's settings on my vt60 which I love. Are you launching Plex from inside WMC or are you launching it from your desktop? The problem only occurs when you switch a couple of times between WMC and Plex. It works fine, everytime, if you launch PlexHT from your desktop.

My problem is that I have no way of launching PlexHT from my desktop. I have 4 HTPC boxes that I control completely via IR remote. I dont know of a way to exit WMC, then somehow use my remote to launch PlexHT from my computer using only my remote...
post #1099 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post
ipad air stutters and stops playing movies

.mkv some dvd some blu-ray

i5-3470 8gb ram

2.4g wifi, only thing on wi-fi

help with some settings etc
Is there a question in here somewhere?
post #1100 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post
well i'm glad you discovered 24p. Are you using a Haswell generation CPU? I'm using sillysally's settings on my vt60 which I love. Are you launching Plex from inside WMC or are you launching it from your desktop? The problem only occurs when you switch a couple of times between WMC and Plex. It works fine, everytime, if you launch PlexHT from your desktop.

My problem is that I have no way of launching PlexHT from my desktop. I have 4 HTPC boxes that I control completely via IR remote. I dont know of a way to exit WMC, then somehow use my remote to launch PlexHT from my computer using only my remote...
http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Core-i3-2100
Sandy Bridge. I waited for it. It has been rock solid.

I was doing both last night because I was testing Plex on 24p. I'll make it a point to test your scenario soon, as usually we do launch PHT from WMC. I only did once or twice last night, but experienced no issues.

I also normally only use the remote, but last night I had the keyboard out. Long story, but I'm back to normal on my main HTPC now.
post #1101 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Is there a question in here somewhere?
"ipad air stutters stop playing movies"

How do I fix?
post #1102 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Set local and remote streaming quality to 3mpbs and see if that helps. It seems to be the magic number.

In the end, you may have to set it lower for remote, but if you have either higher than that, for sure lower them down.
post #1103 of 1149 Old 08-04-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

So some questioins: (1) can a MacBook Pro work in this capacity and; (2) if so, would the video and/or audio capabilities need to be modified? (3) is my requrement for super simplicity of use unrealistic?
When I installed Plex on my mac mini, it did not play well with HD audio soundtracks. But this was a few years ago, back when it was still called Plex Media Center, not Plex HT. Not sure if that's changed but I suspect it hasn't. Afaik macs do not support HD audio decoding or bitstreaming so if you cant get DTS-HD MA or TruHD, that's why. Other than that, it should be fine for all other uses. But test it out, maybe its no longer a problem.
post #1104 of 1149 Old 08-05-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 130
So let me get this straight.. They changed the name from Media Browser.... to... Emby? LMAO! Sounds like a name to a kids book. Pathetic. Why did they change the name? Also,Changing the name from XMBC to Kodi? Are you joking? Kodi,really? Can't come up with something to really describe the program.. My Lord.. What's with the dumbed down 4 letter names? I'm done with the rant. I just don't understand why a company doesn't come up with something with a good ring to it. Iphone? Really? Always that was absolutely stupid. Go ahead and insult your fan base. Its amazing,the lack of imagination companies have these days.. Samsung Galaxy.. Now we're talking..
AzDragonLord likes this.
post #1105 of 1149 Old 08-05-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

post #1106 of 1149 Old 08-05-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read that Tornado. I see their logic,and its still stupid. Kodi is stupid also. They sound like kid names. How about Media Browser Complete,Next Gen Media Center.. Notice both devs went to single words to dumb the name down for ease of use,thus insulting their fan base,just like the iphone name. People just don't see it. The whole point of the iphone was to make it super easy to use and elegant at the same time. By default,they are going to dumb the name down also.

How about.. Tornado media center.. Because our MC will blow you away! See what I did there?
post #1107 of 1149 Old 08-05-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't care what it is called. With a name like Smuckers...

Plex? Oh, that's taken.
post #1108 of 1149 Old 08-05-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
So let me get this straight.. They changed the name from Media Browser.... to... Emby? LMAO! Sounds like a name to a kids book. Pathetic.
I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I can't say those names without laughing.
post #1109 of 1149 Old 08-05-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

No your not. There are tons that hate those names. I'm just the only type of guy that will call someone out on it. Also,there are some people that say they are used to it now.. They need to quit kidding themselves and voice their opinion. The people on the Corsair forums had no problem voicing their opinion on the Tramp Stamp emblem,which really doesn't bother me at all. Kodi and Emby are absolutely ridiculous names and should be changed to professional names that actually reflect the product.
post #1110 of 1149 Old 08-05-2015, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey, I'm a long time Plex user on a Mac but likely switching to Windows for HTPC. I'm sick of waiting for Apple to offer HD Audio support. With a new Atmos AVR on the way, HD Audio is even more important. However, I'm not even sure that Plex support Atmos... does it?

I've read something that Kodi does support Atmos (as of about Jan. when the feature was added to FFmpeg)... so that may be my ultimate destination, but thought I would check in here first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page