Plex Discussion Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1141 of 1146 Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Rec'd the following email from PLEX:

Plex for Roku players now available to all!
That's right, the new Plex channel for Roku players is out of Plex Pass preview mode and FREE to all of our lovely users. With a sleek new look and improved support for lots of new features, the streaming experience is awesome, on-point, gooch, or whatever the cool kids are saying today. Discovery features make it easier than ever to find new content and come across things you haven't seen or listened to in a while, and you can enjoy customized categories of media based on your viewing habits. The music experience has been improved as well, with play queue and playlist support for everyone and Premium music for our Plex Pass members.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1146 Old 08-26-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Joachim View Post
Just curious as to what (if anything) you guys use to manage your metadata? I like that Plex handles all of it internally sometimes, but there are upsides to updating it within the file itself.
One of the things I like least about Plex and XBMC is the way they behave when they can't find a match for a file. Sometimes the file just doesn't show up, sometimes it's just a bald file name. I go in and do custom tags and lock it, but if I have it organized as a TV show with episodes, if I add an episode the custom tags on the other episodes mysteriously disappear.

The way I've solved it is to tag as much as possible so the scraper will find it. I move the things it can't find to a separate folder and tag that manually. In XBMC, I just add that directory to the favorites menu.
post #1143 of 1146 Old 08-26-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Same here, it's my main complaint.
post #1144 of 1146 Old 08-27-2015, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworth View Post
One of the things I like least about Plex and XBMC is the way they behave when they can't find a match for a file. Sometimes the file just doesn't show up, sometimes it's just a bald file name. I go in and do custom tags and lock it, but if I have it organized as a TV show with episodes, if I add an episode the custom tags on the other episodes mysteriously disappear.

The way I've solved it is to tag as much as possible so the scraper will find it. I move the things it can't find to a separate folder and tag that manually. In XBMC, I just add that directory to the favorites menu.
Also one of my main complaints as well. What I've done over the last few days is standardize all of my naming using Filebot (http://www.filebot.net/), which auto-magically renames files to ****** (2014) standard. Then I used Media Companion (https://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/) to download cover art and create nfo files with all the accurate metadata.

I know these steps aren't that useful (and in the case of Media Companion, actually useless) when it comes to Plex, but it's a piece of mind for myself in case I ever want to try something else to manage my media.

I'm actually in the process of trying out Emby now and while it definitely isn't as polished or stable as Plex, it is a lot more flexible and even more powerful in many ways. Another plus is that it automatically imported all the meta data and cover art that I pulled from Media Companion, which meant that I didn't have to go through my whole library searching for wrong matches or instances where Plex thinks two different movies are duplicates.

I'm definitely not planning on leaving Plex anytime soon, but this just highlighted what is (for me, personally) a very weak point for Plex.
post #1145 of 1146 Old 08-27-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Right now I have a TV show with all the naming standardized, and season 1 and season 2 are identically formatted. Season 1 does not show up in Plex at all, and the first episode of Season 2 doesn't show. In Emby, everything is there and it all works perfectly.
post #1146 of 1146 Old Today, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Because of the way my projector is aligned to my screen, I have to do a vertical shift to perfectly align the movie with my masking system. In Plex, that means going into the video settings during the movie and navigating to this screen, and changing it each time manually:

Whenever I exit Plex or restart a movie, I have to set the vertical shift all over again, it doesnt 'remember'. I've looked under the settings for preferences and saw no option to do this. Does anyone know of a way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page