Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #91 of 933 Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hey everyone, assassin just added a Plex guide to his website (http://assassinhtpcblog.com/). It's pretty thorough and has some great tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 933 Old 04-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Hey everyone, assassin just added a Plex guide to his website (http://assassinhtpcblog.com/). It's pretty thorough and has some great tips!

And looks like only for paying members as well...
post #93 of 933 Old 04-19-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky View Post

And looks like only for paying members as well...

Sorry, I should have clarified. It is indeed part of his paid guides, although it's definitely worth it for a lot of people. Luckily, Plex is really straightforward to install and configure, so you might not need it!
post #94 of 933 Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Yes, they are included in the 123 step-by-step illustrated guides that are now available.
post #95 of 933 Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if my files are on a FreeNAS server, do I install Flex server on the HTPC and just map the locations to the networked folders?
post #96 of 933 Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 AM

Not to familiar with freenas but they have PMS for linux, readynas stuff like that.

http://www.plexapp.com/linux/linux-pms-download.php

Nvm, searching forums doesn't seem like theres a solution yet. So yeah I'd say what you suggested is the best method.
post #97 of 933 Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
<--- in

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #98 of 933 Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky View Post

For anyone who is interested in having HD audio bitstreaming with the windows plex client...

Download and install the latest Eden XBMC, the one that supports HD audio bitstreaming of course...
In the audio section enable DTS-HD, Dolby THD... etc...

I assume you have already downloaded and installed the windows plex client (also called the plex media center)

Create an xml file with the following content and name it playercorefactory.xml

C:\\Program Files\\XBMC\\xbmc.exe
"D:"
true
true
none

save the file under c:\\users\\YOUR_HTPC_USER\\appdata\\local\\plex\\userdata

Start plex, and when you play an mkv or iso file with HD audio in it simply bitstreams the HD audio flawlessly.

I have tested this on win7 32 bit, if you're running win7 64 bit you might need to modify the paths to xbmc.exe

Also, if you use plex from within 7MC, after stopping a movie, you will only come back to the xbmc interface.
I had to map the back space button on my imon remote to the keyboard "end" key.
In other words, once I press the backspace on the remote, xbmc closes and the plex interface comes back.
I will check to see if a parameter can be passed in the xml file to automate this.

The plex experience just keeps getting better...

I've been trying to get external players to work for ages. This works on my HTPC (but not my desktop oddly)! This should also work with ISOs, right? Only bummer is you can't use the nifty resume feature.
post #99 of 933 Old 04-30-2012, 11:11 PM

I recently installed Plex on my htpc with the beta server that includes DLNA. I like many things about Plex. But one thing that is frustrating currently is Plex freezes and the server shuts down when I try to run the Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora plugins. From reading other posts on the internet, these seem to be broken.

Plex really needs to get these Big 3 plugins working in my opinion for people to get on board with it. I am finding a lot of frustration with broken plugins with Plex as well as XBMC which is preventing me from cutting the cord right now.

DB
post #100 of 933 Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
@dbachman

The Plex Media Server which supports DLNA is a pre-release alpha quality product. They indicate that it for testing. Why are you surprised that certain channels don't work? As far as the channels you mention for both Plex and XBMC certain of these are hacks which are not officially supported. In particular Hulu is not meant to be played on media players. That is what Hulu+ is for. People are trying to avoid paying and then complain doesn't work. Many media players support Hulu+. Use one of those.

I think people should distinguish between supported channels and channels which are unofficial and often depend on which platform the Plex Media Server runs. Same for XBMC.

Philip
post #101 of 933 Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM

I don't disagree regarding the unsupported plugins but these are listed under the regular Plex channels and they don't work currently. I do pay for Netflix but can't access it within the Plex application. I don't think Hulu+ is even a plugin option within Plex since Hulu is listed under a supported channel. Pandora isn't a paid service unless you subscribe to premium without ads and most people are fine with the free version. These 3 at the minimum should work if users are to take Plex seriously and they have been broken for some time from what I can tell.

DB
post #102 of 933 Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbachman View Post

I don't disagree regarding the unsupported plugins but these are listed under the regular Plex channels and they don't work currently. I do pay for Netflix but can't access it within the Plex application. I don't think Hulu+ is even a plugin option within Plex since Hulu is listed under a supported channel. Pandora isn't a paid service unless you subscribe to premium without ads and most people are fine with the free version. These 3 at the minimum should work if users are to take Plex seriously and they have been broken for some time from what I can tell.

Hulu+ is not a plugin that works on all platforms. It's also not acceptable to Hulu, so Plex and XBMC can't ever be sure it will work. Bluecop seems to support Hulu better under XBMC though. The Netflix plugin is an allowed plugin for XBMC by Netflix. I don't think that the plugin is for Plex though. There's this whole Silverlight issue so the plugin won't work if the Plex Server in running on XP or Linux.

I have found XBMC to have far better addon and subtitle support than Plex. I rarely use Plex plugins, but the program is still pretty neat.

The Ruku is perhaps what you want as it has Hulu+, Pandora and Netflix channels which work well. In addition, Plex on the Roku is pretty good.

Unfortunately, we all know there is no one streamer that is optimal. They all have issues, even HTPC's.

Philip
post #103 of 933 Old 05-02-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
I just read that HULU might require a cable subscription in the future.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #104 of 933 Old 05-02-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbachman View Post

That's my issue. I don't think they should list them within the Plex channel. The plugins you mentioned have had issues for a while. It's a bit out of the control of the Plex developers, but they could at least remove them from that list.
post #105 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Recently switched to the refocus theme and just love it. Very clean and appealing interface. Seems faster than plex aeon as well.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #106 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

Recently switched to the refocus theme and just love it. Very clean and appealing interface. Seems faster than plex aeon as well.

I personally think its the prettiest and most well thought out skin of any media player period. I was never a big fan of aeon. Seems too flashy and overwhelming to me. I actually like the Plex refocus (I'm using the Back to Blue edition) more than the XBMC version because of the On Deck and Recently Added sections that appear on the home screen. It's a big reason I can't switch back to another player. It's just too pretty and functional!
post #107 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I personally think its the prettiest and most well thought out skin of any media player period. I was never a big fan of aeon. Seems too flashy and overwhelming to me. I actually like the Plex refocus (I'm using the Back to Blue edition) more than the XBMC version because of the On Deck and Recently Added sections that appear on the home screen. It's a big reason I can't switch back to another player. It's just too pretty and functional!

Can you get rid of that horrid "Refocus" logo? I took one look at that skin and immediately removed it because of that alone.

post #108 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Can you get rid of that horrid "Refocus" logo? I took one look at that skin and immediately removed it because of that alone.

Yes you can! There are actually a number of important things you can adjust in the skin settings.
post #109 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes you can! There are actually a number of important things you can adjust in the skin settings.

I will revisit it then.

Otherwise a nice skin.
post #110 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I don't have a lot of time on my hands because we are remodelling ½ our house as all the kids finally flew the coupe but I am interested in PLEX. I am not using XBMC because of time constraints at this time too. So it bitstreams HD Audio when you have the patched XBMC installed? Is the server/client thing stable? It'd be nice to use that once in a while on my one hour train ride each way each day to work.

I haven't even looked at the guide for it yet assassin because I haven't had the time.

Thanks.

post #111 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I don't have a lot of time on my hands because we are remodelling ½ our house as all the kids finally flew the coupe but I am interested in PLEX. I am not using XBMC because of time constraints at this time too. So it bitstreams HD Audio when you have the patched XBMC installed? Is the server/client thing stable? It'd be nice to use that once in a while on my one hour train ride each way each day to work.

I haven't even looked at the guide for it yet assassin because I haven't had the time.

Thanks.

No, it doesn't bitstream HD audio.

Its great for remote viewing. I use it as a "remote potato" substitute and recommend it for the very technology impaired as its easy to setup and maintain. It also it pretty cool that you can share "servers" (meaning your media and photo library) with family and friends if you want to.
post #112 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

Unfortunately it does not bitstream HD audio, and the XBMC HD audio patch won't work. Hopefully this feature will be added soon. You can launch external players though. I've summarized the important features at the top of the thread if you want to take a look. The server and client are stable.
post #113 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender17 View Post

if my files are on a FreeNAS server, do I install Flex server on the HTPC and just map the locations to the networked folders?

Yes. The Plex server does not have to be on the same unit as the files. It just has to be able to get to them. At that point, depending on the encoding, the communication basically goes between the client device and the file location. That is, the route is typically NOT: file---> Plex server---> client .

philip
post #114 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool to be able to share over the internet. What port does it open up? So is it better than Remote Potato?

post #115 of 933 Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Cool to be able to share over the internet. What port does it open up? So is it better than Remote Potato?

I have both in my guides. Take a look at screenshots and setup from both and see which one you like better.
post #116 of 933 Old 05-09-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New Plex Media Server release available (9.6.1). Adds official support for DLNA, a few more features (including ReadyNAS Duo v2 support), and a bunch of bug fixes.
post #117 of 933 Old 08-03-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wanted to mention that the latest server update, 9.6.6, has brought substantial performance improvements, particularly in library scanning. It use to take about 30 minutes to update my music library, and now it takes about 2. Navigating the web interface also seems much quicker now.
post #118 of 933 Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
What has always scared me about Plex is the transcoding on the server. First my WHS V1 is only a Celeron with 2GB memory. Second, while I understand the need to transcode for some client (iPhone?) I'm always nervous it's going to transcode for my HTPC which doesn't need it done at all. I haven't seen any way to control that or even tell if Plex is transcoding or not.

From what I've seen of the UI though it is very good.
post #119 of 933 Old 08-04-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

What has always scared me about Plex is the transcoding on the server. First my WHS V1 is only a Celeron with 2GB memory. Second, while I understand the need to transcode for some client (iPhone?) I'm always nervous it's going to transcode for my HTPC which doesn't need it done at all. I haven't seen any way to control that or even tell if Plex is transcoding or not.
From what I've seen of the UI though it is very good.

Huh?

It only transcodes for iOS clients.
post #120 of 933 Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

No android transcoding?

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page