Plex Discussion Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

Old 12-24-2015, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I already have it installed and I have been able to get some of it in a folder or whatever they call it but I don't really understand what I'm doing
and it's more luck than anything that I have gotten this far. Not very intuitive in my opinion but maybe it's just me.

I'm not in a hurry if you one day want to talk me through it or someone else.

Are you supposed to be able to fast forward in plex and when stopping a movie, be able to go back in and resume it 'cause I can't..

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post
It just says that the connection quality is not good and to drop the streaming quality down. Thing is ,it is all on a wired network within the house. Not to mention that the network quality and remote quality settings are exactly the same. We get pretty good speeds over here Japan over here when streaming.
This sounds like it could be two different things, I've seen some strange errors from Plex when trying to play some full bit-rate rips on various players that don't really support the full bit-rate. My Roku 3 is an example and I believe it might have given me a similar error. This isn't really a network issue more of a player issue.

It could also be a Network Issue, Since you said this is a wired connection and I assume you don't have access to a nice expensive Network / Tester / Analyzer - It could be anything from a bad Switch / Router port, bad cable, something up with the port on the Device you are using to play. Do you have another device (laptop or something) that you can plug in to the same connection to test the playback / see if you get the same error? You could also try and run a temp connection directly to your switch / router to see if that resolves it.

When it comes to networking there are so many little gremlins that can pop up at anytime to make your day a little more complicated =)

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Has anyone got this error?

Cannot load M3U8: No Levels to play.

Seems totally random, but I can't play a lot of movies. I have Windows 10, Chrome browser on no-local network.

Cheers

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

double post

My build thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Has anyone got this error?

Cannot load M3U8: No Levels to play.

Seems totally random, but I can't play a lot of movies. I have Windows 10, Chrome browser on no-local network.

Cheers
I haven't seen this personally but did a quick google search and came up with this thread
http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?t=8684

Check / Verify / Maybe recreate the Transcoder Temp Directory?
JapanDave likes this.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I haven't seen this personally but did a quick google search and came up with this thread
http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?t=8684

Check / Verify / Maybe recreate the Transcoder Temp Directory?
OK, I just tried that. Shut down PLEX on my server rebooted and now I can't get any access. I think I might try a re-install.

Well the re-install did nothing for me. I can see my libraries again. But nothing will play. Was PLEX always this buggy?

My build thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, I just tried that. Shut down PLEX on my server rebooted and now I can't get any access. I think I might try a re-install.

Well the re-install did nothing for me. I can see my libraries again. But nothing will play. Was PLEX always this buggy?
Is Plex running on a NAS or on your PC? I have used Plex with pretty much every OS except for Windows 10 (as a server) but it works fine as a client on Firefox and IE, I've had a few issues with the new Windows Browser.

As for Plex Stability I have been very happy with it, I haven't had many issues that weren't self inflicted. Yes it randomly gives me a message that it can't play something back but I wait a few seconds, try again and it works fine. I certainly wouldn't call it Mission Critical Reliable but I will say it works probably 98.5% of the time for me without issue.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

How do you get a debug log. Do you have to start the debugger manually or is it automatic? I still can't get this to work. I am also guessing that the Transcoder temp location is unique to each PC?

My build thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
How do you get a debug log. Do you have to start the debugger manually or is it automatic? I still can't get this to work. I am also guessing that the Transcoder temp location is unique to each PC?
Transcoder location setting can be changed in the server settings.
JapanDave likes this.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Check out this plex support page
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...rver-Log-Files
JapanDave likes this.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I tried changing the Transcoder location in server settings, but that just made things worse. I was not able to even access my library, so I did a full re-install. I can access my library and everything else, but when it comes to playing I get an error. This blows.

My build thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I tried changing the Transcoder location in server settings, but that just made things worse. I was not able to even access my library, so I did a full re-install. I can access my library and everything else, but when it comes to playing I get an error. This blows.
I know this will kind of stink to do but you can 1) Uninstall Plex / Reinstall which I believe will actually keep most of the settings / remember things like what you watched / where you left off. Try that and if that doesn't work then 2) Uninstall and delete all associated directories for Plex which will get rid of everything and that should resolve your issue. Make sure that you are installing as an Admin as this almost sounds like some kind of permissions issue.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I know this will kind of stink to do but you can 1) Uninstall Plex / Reinstall which I believe will actually keep most of the settings / remember things like what you watched / where you left off. Try that and if that doesn't work then 2) Uninstall and delete all associated directories for Plex which will get rid of everything and that should resolve your issue. Make sure that you are installing as an Admin as this almost sounds like some kind of permissions issue.
I did that and went so far as to delete PLEX from the registry as well, then re-installed. Still no dice.

My build thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm looking to purchase a mini pc (Intel NUC, Zotac, etc.) for use as a Plex client in my living room. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Some requirements:
HDMI output
Powerful enough to play uncompressed blu-ray rips without issues
Builtin Gigabit Ethernet (location prevents reliable WiFi streaming)
IR sensor for remote control
Bluetooth for keyboard and mouse control

THANKS!
Old 01-06-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 402
NVidia Shield unless you are wanting to run Windows or Linux on it for some reason, you mentioned mouse/keyboard. Shield will allow mouse/keyboard but I wasn't sure why you wanted it.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I should have mentioned that it needs to run Windows. I'll be needing mouse and keyboard control for other programs, though it will be used primarily for Plex.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
I'm looking to purchase a mini pc (Intel NUC, Zotac, etc.) for use as a Plex client in my living room. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Some requirements:
HDMI output

THANKS!
I just put together an Intel NUC i3 for a client and before I delivered it I tried it in my Home Theater and it worked perfectly with Plex Player and Plex HT Edition (which sadly isn't really supported anymore). I am very impressed with it. It does have an IR Remote Receiver but I didn't try it I just connected my IR Remote to it for testing purposes. It has Gig Ethernet so you would just need to add in the Keyboard.

I put a 120GB SSD and 8Gb of Memory in it. I was very impressed with how snappy it was with Windows 10 of course the SSD / Memory certainly help.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post

Some requirements:
HDMI output

THANKS!
Just built a 5i3 NUC for my friend with 8gb of crucial ram and a 256 samsung evo m.2 drive. In all I think he spent about 400 on the computer build. It does all the thiings you are asking it to do, but the bluetooth may be a bit spotty depending on the location you put the NUC in. I have found a lot more success with smartphone remote control apps that work over wifi. they are way more reliable than ir or bluetooth interfaces. Finally, if you're going to be using this solely as a media center with no other use (desktop use, internet browsing), i would recommend you go with windows 7. It's a lot faster than 8.1 (not sure about windows 10) and disable all updates. I have found that the more windows updates the system gets, the slower it eventually becomes.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have posted my problem over on the PLEX forum. I will report back if I get a fix for others if they run into the same problem.

My build thread

Old 01-08-2016, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Has anyone used the new Plex media player? Is it really anything special (it seems to be based off ffmpeg), is it any better than the one in Kodi?
Old 01-08-2016, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Has anyone used the new Plex media player? Is it really anything special (it seems to be based off ffmpeg), is it any better than the one in Kodi?
The whole thing with the Plex Media Player is that they are trying to unify their experience across platforms so they will all look the same. The one that I have is shown as a "Beta" but has been pretty stable and the same interface as on my Roku / iPhone / iPad. It hasn't hit the web based version as of yet (and I hope it doesn't as it is how you manage you media).

It has a very nice / clean look but I prefer the old layout much more since it would show you recently added across libraries where the new version only shows newly added when you go in to that library.

With this new Player they have abandoned the beloved (by me anyway) Plex Home Theater Edition but admit that the same functionality still seems to be in there (works well with the remote / supports HD Audio Formats).

I have no experience whatsoever with Kodi so I can't comment on it but Plex still has the same limitations it had before (will only play specific file formats and won't play things like ISO / Video_TS). Its worth checking out if you already have a plex install.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
The whole thing with the Plex Media Player is that they are trying to unify their experience across platforms so they will all look the same. The one that I have is shown as a "Beta" but has been pretty stable and the same interface as on my Roku / iPhone / iPad. It hasn't hit the web based version as of yet (and I hope it doesn't as it is how you manage you media).

It has a very nice / clean look but I prefer the old layout much more since it would show you recently added across libraries where the new version only shows newly added when you go in to that library.

With this new Player they have abandoned the beloved (by me anyway) Plex Home Theater Edition but admit that the same functionality still seems to be in there (works well with the remote / supports HD Audio Formats).

I have no experience whatsoever with Kodi so I can't comment on it but Plex still has the same limitations it had before (will only play specific file formats and won't play things like ISO / Video_TS). Its worth checking out if you already have a plex install.
I don't have PlexPass so I won't be able to try it out. From their blog post it seemed like it was low level changes to improve playback quality, so I was hoping it would be a universal player, as well as a unified HTML5 based UI (since its using Chrome engine) much like what Netflix has done, which IMO always leads to a simpler UI since it has to work across many different devices and cannot be as rich.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I'm not in love with the layout of Plex Media Player but it works well on my Raspberry Pi 2. It's much better than PleXBMC with the Amber skin in Kodi. Take that with a grain of salt, I also hate everything else about Kodi.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Have they integrated Media Center remote commands into Plex Media Player?

That is my # 1 show stopper from using the new app.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
Old 01-09-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post
Have they integrated Media Center remote commands into Plex Media Player?

That is my # 1 show stopper from using the new app.

Mr Zoid
It works fine with my Ortek remote on my Win7 PC. I did have to disable the mouse in the Plex Media Player settings to get it working correctly. Not sure about the official MCE remote.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Well, it looks you were on the money Bryan and funhouse69. My C:\ drive had only 20gb of space left and when I tried to play a movie bigger than that (most of my movies are) I would get the error. A simple change of the temporary transcoder path to somewhere that has more space solves the issue. And this is why it came on suddenly, for some reason my OS disk was reduce to only 20gb of space left.

So anyone else out there who gets this proble. Cannot load M3U8: No Levels to play.
Change your TRanscoder path to somewhere that has more room.
funhouse69 likes this.

My build thread

Old 01-09-2016, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, it looks you were on the money Bryan and funhouse69. My C:\ drive had only 20gb of space left and when I tried to play a movie bigger than that (most of my movies are) I would get the error. A simple change of the temporary transcoder path to somewhere that has more space solves the issue. And this is why it came on suddenly, for some reason my OS disk was reduce to only 20gb of space left.

So anyone else out there who gets this proble. Cannot load M3U8: No Levels to play.
Change your TRanscoder path to somewhere that has more room.
Interesting about the low space on the C Drive, I would think that Windows would complain about it / let you know as well? Either way Glad you figured it out!!!

I've been ripping my movies for years and years and years (since the largest hard drives available were 160gb) and tried many different solutions over the years. I liked X-Lobby / TheaterTek but Plex was a serious jump for me. When I found it I tried it / couldn't believe how nice / clean it was and signed up for Plex Pass almost immediately then went lifetime shortly thereafter / before the price increase and I haven't looked back.

That said I haven't had any major issues (that weren't self inflicted) with Plex and I use it probably 5 - 7 days a week and various family members probably about the same.
AzDragonLord likes this.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Interesting about the low space on the C Drive, I would think that Windows would complain about it / let you know as well? Either way Glad you figured it out!!!

I've been ripping my movies for years and years and years (since the largest hard drives available were 160gb) and tried many different solutions over the years. I liked X-Lobby / TheaterTek but Plex was a serious jump for me. When I found it I tried it / couldn't believe how nice / clean it was and signed up for Plex Pass almost immediately then went lifetime shortly thereafter / before the price increase and I haven't looked back.

That said I haven't had any major issues (that weren't self inflicted) with Plex and I use it probably 5 - 7 days a week and various family members probably about the same.
I am using a 60GB SSD for the the OS on my server. I am guessing that PLEX detects how much room is left before it starts the transcoder (That is how I am interpreting the logs). That is why(one of the reasons) it probably takes a while for the movie to load. Anyway, it is something for people to keep in mind when running plex.
funhouse69 likes this.

My build thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am using a 60GB SSD for the the OS on my server. I am guessing that PLEX detects how much room is left before it starts the transcoder (That is how I am interpreting the logs). That is why(one of the reasons) it probably takes a while for the movie to load. Anyway, it is something for people to keep in mind when running plex.
I do the same thing, I have a dedicated Plex Server (an old AMD 6 Core System) that I put a small SSD in and noticed that it was taking up a lot of the space so I replaced it with a larger one. Looks like I dodged a bullet without even knowing it =)

Enjoy!

Old 01-10-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do the same thing, I have a dedicated Plex Server (an old AMD 6 Core System) that I put a small SSD in and noticed that it was taking up a lot of the space so I replaced it with a larger one. Looks like I dodged a bullet without even knowing it =)
Does it make Plex any faster if you use a SSD for the transcoder? I have mine on a 240GB SSD but I always wondered if it would hurt performance if I moved it to a HDD.
funhouse69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement