Plex Discussion Thread - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #1291 of 1315 Old 01-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Does it make Plex any faster if you use a SSD for the transcoder? I have mine on a 240GB SSD but I always wondered if it would hurt performance if I moved it to a HDD.
I would say that it would really depend on how many streams you are serving at the same time. If you have a busy server I would imagine it would make a big difference as the access rate of an SSD blows away a spinning drive (Imagine transcoding multiple streams at once). If you have a low utilization system there would probably be no difference at all. I went with an SSD mostly for the lower power end of things since my Plex server is on 24x7 and also hosts my weather station data.

I found this on the Plex Support Page - So yes I would say that an SSD can make a big difference.

Disk Usage: The transcoding process uses temporary disk storage for the converted media. If you're using Mobile Sync, or your Plex Media Server is transcoding for several users, it can use gigabytes of temporary storage. By default, the temporary files are stored on the OS boot disk. This can cause problems if your boot drive is very small (e.g., a small SSD). You can change the location for the temporary files in the Plex Media Server settings.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1315 Old 01-10-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I would say that it would really depend on how many streams you are serving at the same time.
I sometimes have 6 streams transcoding at once. I guess I'll leave it on the SSD then. Thanks.
post #1293 of 1315 Old 01-10-2016, 06:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I sometimes have 6 streams transcoding at once. I guess I'll leave it on the SSD then. Thanks.
From what I can tell it won't make the slightest difference. All the transcoding files are put in the temp dir before the movie starts. From there plex just uses what it needs.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #1294 of 1315 Old 01-27-2016, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an issue with Plex I'm hoping someone here can help me with:

I have a Samsung smart TV running the Plex app. Any time I try to stream a movie or TV show from my Plex server to the TV where the file size of the movie or TV show exceeds about 5GB (which is basically 99% of the files on my server) the program won't play for more than a few seconds without stuttering (stopping and starting in rapid succession). I thought maybe my server wasn't able to send out data fast enough or my WiFi network was too slow, but this happens even on a hard wired gigabit network, and I'm able to stream to a laptop without issue (though there's no audio on the laptop) so that rules out those possibilities. I've tried all the different steaming settings in the Plex app but nothing helps. I also considered that maybe the processor in the TV just wasn't up to the task considering that navigating the Plex app is very sluggish, but if I put a movie on a USB flash drive and plug it into the TV it plays perfectly. I also have the Plex app running on a Samsung Blu-ray player connected to a different TV and have the same issues with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
post #1295 of 1315 Old 01-27-2016, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 301
I have a friend with one of those and he has the same problem. He gave up and started using his XBOX One.
post #1296 of 1315 Old 01-27-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
I have an issue with Plex I'm hoping someone here can help me with:

I have a Samsung smart TV running the Plex app. Any time I try to stream a movie or TV show from my Plex server to the TV where the file size of the movie or TV show exceeds about 5GB (which is basically 99% of the files on my server) the program won't play for more than a few seconds without stuttering (stopping and starting in rapid succession). I thought maybe my server wasn't able to send out data fast enough or my WiFi network was too slow, but this happens even on a hard wired gigabit network, and I'm able to stream to a laptop without issue (though there's no audio on the laptop) so that rules out those possibilities. I've tried all the different steaming settings in the Plex app but nothing helps. I also considered that maybe the processor in the TV just wasn't up to the task considering that navigating the Plex app is very sluggish, but if I put a movie on a USB flash drive and plug it into the TV it plays perfectly. I also have the Plex app running on a Samsung Blu-ray player connected to a different TV and have the same issues with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Do you have enough space on the drive designated in the transcoder settings? I've seen issues where it needs to transcode a large file and it would use up the disc space and fail. Moving the transcoding file location to a different drive solved the problem.

post #1297 of 1315 Old 01-27-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Do you have enough space on the drive designated in the transcoder settings? I've seen issues where it needs to transcode a large file and it would use up the disc space and fail. Moving the transcoding file location to a different drive solved the problem.
In my case, I have 2TB free. Good item to consider for troubleshooting though!
post #1298 of 1315 Old 01-27-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Send a message via Yahoo to a250gpguy
Quick question...I admit to not having read through the entire thread..but I did search AVS and Google and found limited info...

Anyone running the satplex/plexoid IPTV service-plugin on their Plex installation. I am very curious what your experience has been and would like to learn more about how that works, if it's reliable etc?

Thanks in advance

Ch

sent from knee deep in snow
post #1299 of 1315 Old 01-27-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
In my case, I have 2TB free. Good item to consider for troubleshooting though!
Since I can stream to a laptop without issue and even my smallest drive has over 100GB free I don't think space is the problem, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm considering trying an Nvidia Shield. Anyone know if the Plex app for that device can handle the hi-res audio tracks from blu-ray rips?
post #1300 of 1315 Old 01-27-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I assume you mean the lossless formats. Yes, but only with Kodi. Not with Plex. Kodi can tie to your Plex server through PleXMBC.

I'm betting Plex will have this one day.
post #1301 of 1315 Old 01-31-2016, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What format to scrape DVDs for use with Plex

I have Plex version 2.4.18 on a CentOS Linux platform and am watching the content via a Plex client on a Roku 3.

I"m scraping my DVDs using a Windows-based application called Pav-Tube Blu-ray Ripper ( http://www.pavtube.com ).

The thing is, I'm not sure what setting I should use when scraping the videos. I'm using H.264 HD Video (*.mp4), but it takes 45-60 minutes to scrape a 30-minute video and the resulting file is around 6gb in size - which seems quite excessive. Here are some of the settings selected for me when I choose that format:
- Video Codec: h264
- Video bitrate: medium quality
- Video frame rate: 30
- Audio codec: aac
- Audio sample rate: 48000
- Audio bitrate: 320000 (320,000? Is that right? That's what it says)
- Channels: 5.1

Now, when looking at the "task information" for the scraper, it seems to show the source details as well as the target (output) details, and they are quite different. I'm guessing I'm "upconverting" the content. Here are some examples:

Source audio Channels: Stereo, Target audio Channels: 5.1
Source video codec: MPEG-2, Target audio codec: h264
Source video size: 720x480, target video size: 1920x1080

I'm guessing I don't need this much quality to view DVD videos and there's probably a scraper setting which will give me reasonable video/audio quality while decreasing both the time it takes to scrape as well as the resulting file size.

Any advice?
post #1302 of 1315 Old 01-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I have Plex version 2.4.18 on a CentOS Linux platform and am watching the content via a Plex client on a Roku 3.

I"m scraping my DVDs using a Windows-based application called Pav-Tube Blu-ray Ripper ( http://www.pavtube.com ).

The thing is, I'm not sure what setting I should use when scraping the videos. I'm using H.264 HD Video (*.mp4), but it takes 45-60 minutes to scrape a 30-minute video and the resulting file is around 6gb in size - which seems quite excessive. Here are some of the settings selected for me when I choose that format:
- Video Codec: h264
- Video bitrate: medium quality
- Video frame rate: 30
- Audio codec: aac
- Audio sample rate: 48000
- Audio bitrate: 320000 (320,000? Is that right? That's what it says)
- Channels: 5.1

Now, when looking at the "task information" for the scraper, it seems to show the source details as well as the target (output) details, and they are quite different. I'm guessing I'm "upconverting" the content. Here are some examples:

Source audio Channels: Stereo, Target audio Channels: 5.1
Source video codec: MPEG-2, Target audio codec: h264
Source video size: 720x480, target video size: 1920x1080

I'm guessing I don't need this much quality to view DVD videos and there's probably a scraper setting which will give me reasonable video/audio quality while decreasing both the time it takes to scrape as well as the resulting file size.

Any advice?
So you are up-scaling the DVD's to 1080p? What is your target file type? MKV? Why not use MakeMKV and just rip the disc in its native format? I don't think you are going to get a whole lot better picture and my TV / Media Player will automatically upscale things.

Just a suggestion that is what I do... I also use MakeMKV to rip my Blu Rays in their Native format. Saves a whole lot of time and they are full quality Rips and it will preserve HD Audio if you so desire.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1303 of 1315 Old 01-31-2016, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm not sure what format I *need*. My current ripper is creating .mp4 files. I'll read up on MakeMKV - It looks like Plex will automatically detect and play MKV, so this may be the solution. Thanks.
post #1304 of 1315 Old 01-31-2016, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I'm not sure what format I *need*. My current ripper is creating .mp4 files. I'll read up on MakeMKV - It looks like Plex will automatically detect and play MKV, so this may be the solution. Thanks.
I use only MKV Files with my Plex Setup, as I mentioned it will keep / retain any / all of the Audio Track (if you want) it will even support the latest formats such as Atmos. I did a lot of research before picking MKV as my old library was made up of old DVD Rips in the Video_TS Format so I had to convert them all that was a fun task!

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with MKV Files with Plex or any other player I have.

post #1305 of 1315 Old 02-06-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't able to find an answer to this on the Plex forums so I thought I'd ask here:

When I have a collection of movies I usually create one folder for all the movies - say the Star Wars Saga. Each movie will have it's own sub folder which contains the movie file. I then go into PMS and add all the films to the collection. When I'm in the the Plex app on my TV and I'm browsing by collection there is no movie art displayed on the screen for whatever collection is currently highlighted. It just shows the default director's slate thingy until I actually select the collection to view the movies within - see pic below. So my question is (finally) is there a way to show movie art for each collection I have while I'm scrolling through the list?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0158.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	1234537  
post #1306 of 1315 Old 02-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wasn't able to find an answer to this on the Plex forums so I thought I'd ask here:

When I have a collection of movies I usually create one folder for all the movies - say the Star Wars Saga. Each movie will have it's own sub folder which contains the movie file. I then go into PMS and add all the films to the collection. When I'm in the the Plex app on my TV and I'm browsing by collection there is no movie art displayed on the screen for whatever collection is currently highlighted. It just shows the default director's slate thingy until I actually select the collection to view the movies within - see pic below. So my question is (finally) is there a way to show movie art for each collection I have while I'm scrolling through the list?

Thanks!
I am going to say not really as you aren't looking at the movies themselves you are looking at the top level folder and only see the information when you go in and now you have the movie folders.

From what I am seeing in this post (see below) you are kind of going about it a little backwards? I looks like you create the collections through Plex and not through the Folders? The behavior you are experiencing makes sense to me as you aren't really browsing the movies yet you are browsing the folder before you get to the movies?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...53-Collections

post #1307 of 1315 Old 02-06-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I can see how it might look that way from my description, but I don't create the collections in the folders (although they are organized that way). I use the directions in the link you posted to do that in Plex Media Server. I just mentioned the folder structure in the hope that maybe movie art could be placed in the top level folder for each collection and have Plex somehow look there for it when it displays the list of collections in the Plex app on my TV.
post #1308 of 1315 Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can see how it might look that way from my description, but I don't create the collections in the folders (although they are organized that way). I use the directions in the link you posted to do that in Plex Media Server. I just mentioned the folder structure in the hope that maybe movie art could be placed in the top level folder for each collection and have Plex somehow look there for it when it displays the list of collections in the Plex app on my TV.
I don't have a TV with an App on it so I am kind of shooting from the hip here but I did create a Collection of my Star Wars Movies to see how this would work on Plex Web (Firefox) as well as Plex Home Theater and the new Plex Media Player.

In each of them the Plex Web and Plex Home Theater versions you have to go in to the Movie Folder then create a "Filter" for Collections then you can choose any / all of the collections you have and it will show all of the individual movies in the collection (so nothing until you select the collection). In the new Plex Media Player App running on Windows it will only show a single collection at a time but you still have to choose the collection before it will show the individual movies (and the associated artwork).

So from what I am seeing it work I believe it is working as designed - The "Collection" is really just a top level short cut to the actual movies and only when you select the Collection will you see the actual breakdown of the individual movies and their associated artwork.

post #1309 of 1315 Old 02-07-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

That's what I figured, but I'm hopeful that this feature may be added in the future. I don't need to see a list of movies within the currently highlighted collection, I just hate seeing that default image from my pic above. I was really wanting to add an image to represent each collection as I scroll through the list, like the Blu-ray box set cover art for the Star Wars collection.

Last edited by K_Thompson; 02-07-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Removed image file
post #1310 of 1315 Old 02-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's what I figured, but I'm hopeful that this feature may be added in the future. I don't need to see a list of movies within the currently highlighted collection, I just hate seeing that default image from my pic above. I was really wanting to add an image to represent each collection as I scroll through the list, like the Blu-ray box set cover art for the Star Wars collection.
I personally never use collection, I do use various tags to notate (for myself) that I have say a complete TV Series or to let me quickly search for my ATMOS Movies.

That said apparently this has been a topic of interest since back in 2012 so it doesn't seem like it is a priority in the Plex world but they do keep adding features which is one of the reasons I love Plex.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/48...or-collections

post #1311 of 1315 Old Today, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone running Plex in a Virtual Machine? I am wondering if this would be worth trying. I have two fairly beefy systems that I am using at my Domain Controllers and doing other various tasks and was thinking that those CPUs are really sitting there idle and could be put to good use.

post #1312 of 1315 Old Today, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone running Plex in a Virtual Machine? I am wondering if this would be worth trying. I have two fairly beefy systems that I am using at my Domain Controllers and doing other various tasks and was thinking that those CPUs are really sitting there idle and could be put to good use.
I'm running Plex Server in a VM if that is what you mean. It works fine.

post #1313 of 1315 Old Today, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I'm running Plex Server in a VM if that is what you mean. It works fine.
Sorry yes that is what I meant - What Virtualization Software?

post #1314 of 1315 Old Today, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry yes that is what I meant - What Virtualization Software?
VMWare ESXi.

post #1315 of 1315 Old Today, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Plex Server? I am, Windows 7 in an ESXi 5.5 VM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers