Plex Discussion Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
That's the Kodi audio settings.
It's kind of a pain to switch back and forth from Kodi to PlexBMC to make an audio change when you can just do it from inside PlexBMC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It's kind of a pain to switch back and forth from Kodi to PlexBMC to make an audio change when you can just do it from inside PlexBMC.
That doesn't make sense. PleXBMC is just a Kodi add-on. The PleXBMC add-on settings have a playback settings screen where you set transcoder properties. The audio passthru settings are Kodi with or without PleXBMC. There is no need to switch back and forth (I assume you mean Go Plex and Go Kodi menu options).

I'm using Amber skin so maybe your layout is different. However, if you disable PleXBMC the pass thru settings are still under System / Audio Output.

All that can be done in PleXBMC settings is for him to ensure the transcoding options are set correctly for his device.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
That doesn't make sense. PleXBMC is just a Kodi add-on. The PleXBMC add-on settings have a playback settings screen where you set transcoder properties. The audio passthru settings are Kodi with or without PleXBMC. There is no need to switch back and forth (I assume you mean Go Plex and Go Kodi menu options).
Yes, I meant it isn't necessary to Go Kodi to make audio changes then Go Plex again to test.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I don't even have a DTS capable receiver but your question got me curious so I started digging around. It appears the RPi2 can only pass through the DTS 5.1 core contained in DTS-HD MA audio over HDMI. RasPlex version 1.0.2 added support to decode DTS-HD MA to 8 channel LPCM.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/16...passthrough/p1

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/20...splex-1-0-2/p1
many thanks. that explains it, so at least I understand what is happening now. Haven't tried the LPCM route yet, as this is not something that's a major concern, but I was definitely curious

Update: Tried the 8 Ch PCM route, and it operated as advertised....

Last edited by michaelp2005; 02-22-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
How to adjust audio in Plex Home Theater question.

I'm trying to stream Blu-ray rips to a laptop and just using the internal speakers for playback, but I'm not getting any sound (video is fine). All my rips are done using MakeMKV and have both the HD audio track and the standard Dolby Digital or DTS track. Regardless of which track I select for playback I get no sound. I have the audio set to analog and WASAPI, but I'm unsure of what those arrows at the end of each field mean - one pointing up and to the right and the other pointing down and to the left. I've tried the DirectSound option, but that doesn't make any difference. The Audio Configuration Guide at the Plex support forums is not much help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is a local network attached laptop if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Update: I installed Plex Home Theater on another computer as a test. Audio (and video) played just fine so I know the problem is not in the movie or my network. Audio settings are the same as the laptop except I had to use DirectSound as WASAPI did not work. There is no add on audio processing equipment on this PC - just the on board RealTek audio processor.
Bump. No one has any suggestions? Maybe my laptop just can't decode DD or DTS?
Old 02-24-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 404
The client is supposed to tell the server what it supports, then the server will decode if needed and send it to the client.

Do you have Plex configured to say your laptop supports DTS/DD? What about Windows?
Old 02-25-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the suggestions. The DD and DTS settings are grayed out in PHT when audio is set to analog, which is the required setting when listening through the builtin speakers and not connected to an AVR. The sound settings in Windows 10 just show info about the built-in hardware and driver info - nothing about DD or DTS decoding.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 150
It hasn't been more than a few weeks that I've been singing the praises of Plex / PHT and its ability to pass through ATMOS and DTS:X and now all of a sudden i can't get it to work on the two different systems that it was working on. The trick in the past was to just make sure that Direct Play was checked off for local play. For some reason it wasn't for local but was for remote (go figure).

The other day we took a power hit that corrupted the BIOS on one of the systems which I believe I got resolved (the system was on a UPS) but can't get it to work on that system no matter what. Well ok I think maybe it is something to do with the system so I moved on to the other system which is an Intel NUC that also worked fine before, I go to play even a regular Blu Ray rip and it just stutters / no audio. I go in and verify the Audio Settings and they are fine. So now I am suspecting that it might be something to do with the Plex Server but don't have a clue what it could be.

This kind of stuff drives me insane / works today but not tomorrow and no matter what you do you can't get it to work again

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't think it would be the Plex server software, but maybe something is wrong with the server itself or the network?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I am even more confused - Maybe my Plex server was just having one of those days? I tried it several times and it didn't work. I the PHT Setting off of Direct Play to 10mb/sec and it was still doing it. I changed it back to direct play and its been working ever since

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

It there any way to limit the amount of bandwidth a remote connection can take from the server itself? I thought I saw this somewhere but a family member installed PHT on one of their systems and it defaults to direct play which is taking a ton of bandwidth (30+Mb/sec).

I know I have to walk them through changing the settings but wonder if here is a way to do it on my end / prevent someone from taking that kind of bandwidth?

Old 03-19-2016, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
It there any way to limit the amount of bandwidth a remote connection can take from the server itself? I thought I saw this somewhere but a family member installed PHT on one of their systems and it defaults to direct play which is taking a ton of bandwidth (30+Mb/sec).

I know I have to walk them through changing the settings but wonder if here is a way to do it on my end / prevent someone from taking that kind of bandwidth?
Nope. That is a common complaint about Plex. Emby has this feature. Every remote Plex client has to be adjusted manually.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

its coming, they made a mistake and made the option visible a few versions ago but it wasnt finished. its gone now but it has been acknowledged that its coming this year.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/19...-what-i-see/p1

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 6 TB TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
its coming, they made a mistake and made the option visible a few versions ago but it wasnt finished. its gone now but it has been acknowledged that its coming this year.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/19...-what-i-see/p1
Thanks.
FYI - I had to trim the /p1 off the end of your link to get it to work.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Has anyone else had an issue of their database corrupting?

On my file server where Plex Server resides the database up and corrupted itself.

I ran a repair and it worked for a day, then corrupted again.

Last night I blew the profile away and rebuilt from scratch.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
Old 03-21-2016, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post
Has anyone else had an issue of their database corrupting?

On my file server where Plex Server resides the database up and corrupted itself.

I ran a repair and it worked for a day, then corrupted again.

Last night I blew the profile away and rebuilt from scratch.

Mr Zoid
I haven't heard of this being common place, maybe there is an issue with the system / hard drive that it is stored on?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm new to plex and learning. I have it working when I try to stream to my phone. But I am having a problem and it happened twice now. Yesterday when I click on plex nothing happens, I tried rebooting samething so I deleted it, and reinstalled it, and it was working fine. Today same thing is happening, I click on it nothing happens. My computer is a Dell 7010 small form factor, i5 windows 10. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post
I'm new to plex and learning. I have it working when I try to stream to my phone. But I am having a problem and it happened twice now. Yesterday when I click on plex nothing happens, I tried rebooting samething so I deleted it, and reinstalled it, and it was working fine. Today same thing is happening, I click on it nothing happens. My computer is a Dell 7010 small form factor, i5 windows 10. Any help would be appreciated.
Does it happen with the same movie / video? Does one play better than another? Start your Task Manager and see what the system resources are doing on the system running Plex.

You should see the resources go really high for a few seconds but calm down after that if they stay pinned at 80 - 90% the whole time you might be overloading the system.. This could also have to do with other applications running on the system.

Do you have another computer / something else you can run Plex on to see if you are having the same issue?

I am not sure which phone you have but my iPhone will play "Direct Play" most movies which puts very little load on the Plex Server System.

This could also be a wireless issue, Plex does Buffer you might poke around the settings and see if you can increase the play buffer to see if that helps.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8613 View Post

Don't know what your problem may be, but you could check the Plex Forums where there is a lot to read and probably more specific help for your issue:

https://forums.plex.tv/categories
Old 03-24-2016, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Another Plex question, I just purchased Roku 4 and getting away from the HTPC. would it be better to have the Plex on a dedicated machine, (i7 3770, 16gb ram) or can I get away with combining it with my workstation, the same CPU but with 32gb ram. I use my workstation to convert my movies to the MP4 format then moving to my plex server.

hope this is the right place to ask.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
Another Plex question, I just purchased Roku 4 and getting away from the HTPC. would it be better to have the Plex on a dedicated machine, (i7 3770, 16gb ram) or can I get away with combining it with my workstation, the same CPU but with 32gb ram. I use my workstation to convert my movies to the MP4 format then moving to my plex server.

hope this is the right place to ask.
The answer is it depends - How much will you be using the Workstation System? How CPU Intensive will what you are doing with it be? How many Streams / Clients will you be serving with Plex? All of these are factors.

This will also depend on the content, you said that you convert movies to MP4 but are compressing them?

If you are using it to compress the movies (which can be very CPU Intensive) and using it as a Plex server at the same time you might run in to some issues if Plex has to Transcode the media, if it doesn't you probably won't have any issues at all.

Also keep in mind that Plex is NOT in any way Memory Intensive, you don't need much memory at all. I have plex running on a Windows 7 Virtual Machine and it is taking less than 2GB of memory. Plex is / can be very CPU Intensive so more memory is just a waste of money.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:36 AM

I am using makemkv to pull them from the blu ray, then handbrake to encode to mp4. once that is done I then use media center master for the metadata. after all of that I move them to the plex server. so at times the workstation is pretty busy.

also thinking of moving all of my personal files to this plex server as well, and just using it as a home server. I'm just trying to cut expenses where ever I can.

the current plex is my htpc/plex server, but as mentioned I just got a roku 4 last night and going to move my plex box into another location. my daughters thought it would be good to surf facebook, install games on the plex server and I am scared of any malicious activities happening on that.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I am using makemkv to pull them from the blu ray, then handbrake to encode to mp4. once that is done I then use media center master for the metadata. after all of that I move them to the plex server. so at times the workstation is pretty busy.

also thinking of moving all of my personal files to this plex server as well, and just using it as a home server. I'm just trying to cut expenses where ever I can.

the current plex is my htpc/plex server, but as mentioned I just got a roku 4 last night and going to move my plex box into another location. my daughters thought it would be good to surf facebook, install games on the plex server and I am scared of any malicious activities happening on that.
I also just picked up a 5tb external to backup my movies, then I have another 3tb external handling my TV shows.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm curious why you use Media Center Master. The Plex server can download all of the art and program information without the help of any external programs. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it if you want to, I just haven't found it to be useful with Plex.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:07 AM

Honestly I started using it when I was using my htpc with media browser as my htpc would not find any data, I guess I have just been doing the routine. I will definitely stop using it now that I know I don't need it. that will save a little bit of time!

maybe that is why I am having issues with Plex not naming some of my TV shows...it does pull in the synopsis but it leaves the name of the shows "Season 01 Episode 01"
Old 03-24-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
maybe that is why I am having issues with Plex not naming some of my TV shows...it does pull in the synopsis but it leaves the name of the shows "Season 01 Episode 01"
They must exactly match what is in here:
http://thetvdb.com/
Old 03-24-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
They must exactly match what is in here:
http://thetvdb.com/
If it gets the correct synopsis then it's getting matched correctly.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Honestly I started using it when I was using my htpc with media browser as my htpc would not find any data, I guess I have just been doing the routine. I will definitely stop using it now that I know I don't need it. that will save a little bit of time!
That's one of the reasons I switched to Plex from Media Browser. I still have Media Center Master but I haven't run it in a very long time. I wonder if it still works.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I had MetaBrowser. I hadn't ran that since Plex and Emby. Is there even much of a reason for it since both Emby and Plex scrape their own data?

Old 03-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm getting a little fustrated, is there anyone here in the north new jersey area that can help me set up this htpc correctly, I would compensate of course?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement