Plex Discussion Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes

post #1591 of 1606 Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I installed Plex and it did not seem to recognizing my .mkv files. Now I will go back and try to determine what I am doing wrong.
Keep in mind MKV is just a container. Think of it like a zip file but nothing is being compressed. You can put just about any type of audio or video you want in a MKV file. If you want to see what is in your MKV files try MediaInfo.
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1606 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Hold on, are you not able to play them, or are they not showing up at all. When you say "not seem to recognize" I think it could be either way.

If the movies are not showing up, it's likely a naming issue. Movies need to be named exactly as they are in The Movie DB.
https://www.themoviedb.org/
So, for example, Finding Dory would need to be named:
Finding Dory (2016).mkv
I put each of my MKVs in a folder, because some of my apps like to store metadata in that folder. So I have a folder like this:
Finding Dory (2016)
Then inside that folder is
Finding Dory (2016).mkv

That is, if I had that movie... it was just the first thing I saw on The Movie DB when I went to that website.
As long as the folder is named correctly and there is a media file inside then Plex is happy. You can rename the file, but it isn't required. I have many named title01.mkv and Plex finds it based on the folder name.

post #1593 of 1606 Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
As long as the folder is named correctly and there is a media file inside then Plex is happy. You can rename the file, but it isn't required. I have many named title01.mkv and Plex finds it based on the folder name.
Right. I just do it out of habit because I used to have all the MKV files in one folder.
post #1594 of 1606 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
Right. I just do it out of habit because I used to have all the MKV files in one folder.
So far I have not gotten my movies to show up in plex at all. I probably did not know how to tell Plex the drives, directories and files to look for and to use MPC-HC during the install. I named movies to properly to work in media browser and those names should work.

I uninstalled Plex. For now I think Emby or Kodi fits my purpose better.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
post #1595 of 1606 Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Kodi is great for local media. No need for Emby or Plex. If you are only playing your media on the local box, Kodi is all you need.

I don't like Emby's interface. Neither does the family. So, I still have it on the server, but I have the service disabled for now.

So, we use Plex for mobile devices, and SPMC with PlexKodiConnect on static devices. And this is another reason we don't use Emby. If you watch with Emby on some and Plex on others, your watched status won't stay synched.

One thing about Emby, when you set up your libraries be sure to set them up via UNC and not drive letter\folder. Your share should look like this:
\\192.168.1.10\movies
NOT
D:\Movies
Otherwise, everything will be transcoded always on any box other than your local one.
post #1596 of 1606 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So far I have not gotten my movies to show up in plex at all. I probably did not know how to tell Plex the drives, directories and files to look for
On the left column, click the + next to Libraries
If it is movies you are adding, click Movies
Next you give it the name, then click Next
Browse for the folder, click it, then click Add
Click Add Library

All done!
post #1597 of 1606 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So far I have not gotten my movies to show up in plex at all. I probably did not know how to tell Plex the drives, directories and files to look for and to use MPC-HC during the install. I named movies to properly to work in media browser and those names should work.

Plex has nothing at all to do with MPC-HC. Once you set up Plex Media Server you need to use either Plex Media Player, Plex Home Theater, PlexKodiConnect (Kodi add-on), Plex phone or tablet app, Plex built into the TiVo, Plex built into a SmartTV...

Emby is the same, but not available on nearly as many platforms. However, I think the Emby WMC program can use MPC-HC as an external player.

post #1598 of 1606 Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Plex has nothing at all to do with MPC-HC. Once you set up Plex Media Server you need to use either Plex Media Player, Plex Home Theater, PlexKodiConnect (Kodi add-on), Plex phone or tablet app, Plex built into the TiVo, Plex built into a SmartTV...

Emby is the same, but not available on nearly as many platforms. However, I think the Emby WMC program can use MPC-HC as an external player.
Yes probably, MPC-HC was an external player on Media Browser before it morphed into Emby.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to put off Plex until it becomes the better solution for my needs. But every now in then it is good to test drive some other software and expand your horizons.

post #1599 of 1606 Old Today, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I took the time to install Emby and it is a good solution for my needs. Indeed it will use MPC-HC + madVR as an external player and the audio and video are better than ever. I did find that Plex has embedded itself as a 7MC menu item.

There are a number of front end alternatives. Each one has a learning curve and the software is constantly changing, It important to know what you value. However, it seems Emby and Plex can coexist as choices under 7MC so it may not be an either or situation.

post #1600 of 1606 Old Today, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I took the time to install Emby and it is a good solution for my needs. Indeed it will use MPC-HC + madVR as an external player and the audio and video are better than ever. I did find that Plex has embedded itself as a 7MC menu item.

There are a number of front end alternatives. Each one has a learning curve and the software is constantly changing, It important to know what you value. However, it seems Emby and Plex can coexist as choices under 7MC so it may not be an either or situation.
Plex will launch as an external player from WMC. Emby has the Classic program to run inside WMC. However, since you use MPC-HC it will also launch externally to WMC. I'm not aware of a way to use MPC-HC + madVR with Plex players so you are left with Emby in that case. Emby has a standalone program that doesn't require WMC, but I think it is on the third redesign cycle. Plex has a much much larger user base than Emby (just look in the app stores), but Emby would be more open to tweaking such as external players.

post #1601 of 1606 Old Today, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 123
What are peoples preference for the player PMP, PHT or OPENPHT?
I understand that PHT has been abandoned by Plex and replaced with PMP.... but its closed source with no skinning yet.

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #1602 of 1606 Old Today, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy77 View Post
What are peoples preference for the player PMP, PHT or OPENPHT?
I understand that PHT has been abandoned by Plex and replaced with PMP.... but its closed source with no skinning yet.
I don't run a HTPC anymore, but I'd go with OpenPHT.
Waterboy77 likes this.

post #1603 of 1606 Old Today, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Plex Discussion Thread

Quote:
I don't run a HTPC anymore, but I'd go with OpenPHT.

Can I ask what do you use to playback media now? I'm trying to find one that can replace my htpc Intel NUC

I will require HD audio bitstreaming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1604 of 1606 Old Today, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
Can I ask what do you use to playback media now? I'm trying to find one that can replace my htpc Intel NUC

I will require HD audio bitstreaming

Nvidia Shield which does HD audio bitstreaming with SPMC.

post #1605 of 1606 Old Today, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok. Any others? Can it playback rmvb files?

post #1606 of 1606 Old Today, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 145
i excluseivly use a chromebox with PMP installed. works fantastically, no issues with all audio. the interface doesnt bother me much since i always know what to watch next and i dont care about skinning. on reddit, tobias said that they are working on a new or updated common ui anyway.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 6 TB TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers