Plex Discussion Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #1711 of 1809 Old 09-20-2016, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDAVS View Post
Yes it does, a few questions:

1. Will CEC pass through my pre/processor back to the Nuc?
2. not being experienced using CEC (other than to carry smart tv audio backwards through HDMI to the pre/pro), how does it know to send commands to the Nuc, instead of the TV itself? IE if i push the menu button how does the TV remote know i want the Nuc menu and not the TV menu?
I'm not sure if your receiver will pass through the CEC signal or not. You'll have to try it and see if you're happy with how it works. If you don't like it or it doesn't work you haven't lost anything but a few minutes of your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1809 Old 09-22-2016, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The Nuc came in today. This model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856102141

Some advice please from those of you who use one of these with a SSD installed. What is the intended device? The bracket you slide the SSD into seems to be 1mm or some tiny fraction too small.

I tried 4 - 2.5" drives tonight.
- an old Targus 32 GB SSD- It was EXTREMELY tight. I think i could force it into place, but doubtful i could ever get it out again.
- an old spinner 2.5" drive, also too tight overall, not as bad as the SSD, but still likely to get stuck.
- 2 newer SSD's i pulled from my unRAID box just to test. They are considerably thinner than the older model, they are quite snug in width but doable. they have slop in height, actually loose in the slot. this is clearly thinner than what the slot was designed to hold and if you try to slide the drive back out, you are putting pressure on the sockets in the back.

There are 4 screws holding the bracket to the base. If i loosen those, the height issue is solved and i could probably tighten it back down, the spinner pretty much could work this way, the SSD is still too tight in the width. IE i'll probably tear the 'do not remove" sticker factory seals that wrap the sides to the bottom of the case. Its that tight.

So what is supposed to go there? None of them actually fit correction. Odd combination of too big or too small.

Last edited by TODDAVS; 09-22-2016 at 08:18 PM.
post #1713 of 1809 Old 09-22-2016, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
The Nuc came in today. This model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856102141

Some advice please from those of you who use one of these with a SSD installed. What is the intended device? The bracket you slide the SSD into seems to be 1mm or some tiny fraction too small.

I tried 4 - 2.5" drives tonight.
- an old Targus 32 GB SSD- It was EXTREMELY tight. I think i could force it into place, but doubtful i could ever get it out again.
- an old spinner 2.5" drive, also too tight overall, not as bad as the SSD, but still likely to get stuck.
- 2 newer SSD's i pulled from my unRAID box just to test. They are considerably thinner than the older model, they are quite snug in width but doable. they have slop in height, actually loose in the slot. this is clearly thinner than what the slot was designed to hold and if you try to slide the drive back out, you are putting pressure on the sockets in the back.

There are 4 screws holding the bracket to the base. If i loosen those, the height issue is solved and i could probably tighten it back down, the spinner pretty much could work this way, the SSD is still too tight in the width. IE i'll probably tear the 'do not remove" sticker factory seals that wrap the sides to the bottom of the case. Its that tight.

So what is supposed to go there? None of them actually fit correction. Odd combination of too big or too small.
As you are seeing SSD / HDs come in many different sizes, according to the Intel Specs this system will accept a drive Spinning or SSD up to 9.5mm Thick which I am going to assume are relatively newer drives.

When I built up mine I was using Crucial M500 Drives without any issues, they would slide right in and out. Different drives in some cases have different thicknesses.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...-nuc5ppyh.html

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1714 of 1809 Old 09-23-2016, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
As you are seeing SSD / HDs come in many different sizes, according to the Intel Specs this system will accept a drive Spinning or SSD up to 9.5mm Thick which I am going to assume are relatively newer drives.

When I built up mine I was using Crucial M500 Drives without any issues, they would slide right in and out. Different drives in some cases have different thicknesses.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...-nuc5ppyh.html
Thanks, obviously I never paid close attention to SSD drive heights. Just about all of the smaller size SSD's are 7mm now, so thats another $30 out the door last night. If I remember what I saw last night correction, I'll have to find something to shim it up with because when you install the 7mm drive in a 9.5mm opening, it's going to "hang" off the sockets by 2.5mm. You would think they would set the bay up flipped the right direction.
post #1715 of 1809 Old 09-27-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Plex is getting ready to launch a new cloud service:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31242...ia-server.html

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable uploading 32+ TB of media to the cloud.
post #1716 of 1809 Old 09-27-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Not to mention that the whole ripping DVD/BD thing is still extremely gray area, I could see where this might be considered less gray too.
post #1717 of 1809 Old 09-27-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
Plex is getting ready to launch a new cloud service:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31242...ia-server.html

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable uploading 32+ TB of media to the cloud.
Aside from the Legalities of putting ripped media up there, from a technical stand point where is the processing coming from? If I run a Plex Server at my house it has to transcode the media for certain clients. I assume that still has to happen but the way this is being promoted you don't have to have an "Always on computer" or worry about upload speeds so...

That gives me the impression that something / somewhere is doing the processing. I can't imagine that would be free forever?

Back to the storage, there are people that claim that they have many, many TB of movies on their Amazon Cloud Drive and its only $50 a year if you are a prime member which is a great deal but I assume they will eventually crack down like others have.

Can't wait to see how this works out, I am signed up for the beta, hopefully I get in but only have 150mb/sec upload (yes I know "Only") but uploading even a single Blu-Ray will take forever and a day. Let alone my whole library which is 30TB++ as well.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #1718 of 1809 Old 09-27-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Not only that, but what about the bandwidth requirements of streaming uncompressed BD rips. My download speed at home could probably handle it assuming that I get every bit/sec of speed that I'm paying for, but what about the upload speeds from wherever the media is stored?
post #1719 of 1809 Old 09-27-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Aside from the Legalities of putting ripped media up there, from a technical stand point where is the processing coming from? If I run a Plex Server at my house it has to transcode the media for certain clients. I assume that still has to happen but the way this is being promoted you don't have to have an "Always on computer" or worry about upload speeds so...

That gives me the impression that something / somewhere is doing the processing. I can't imagine that would be free forever?

Back to the storage, there are people that claim that they have many, many TB of movies on their Amazon Cloud Drive and its only $50 a year if you are a prime member which is a great deal but I assume they will eventually crack down like others have.

Can't wait to see how this works out, I am signed up for the beta, hopefully I get in but only have 150mb/sec upload (yes I know "Only") but uploading even a single Blu-Ray will take forever and a day. Let alone my whole library which is 30TB++ as well.
Totally agree.

Purely speculation on my part, but I can envision a situation in which they have determined that the best means by which to increase revenue is by adding significantly more monthly subscribers.

And a significant way to go about doing that is to remove the "barrier to entry" requiring users to dedicate a PC for server duty and then properly configure it as such...

If they're making some sort of significant investment in their own processing power, by which to handle this missing computing demands.... that'd be major news... I don't know if that's the case, but much like you, if the user no longer needs a "local PC", how else is the processing/transcoding happening?

OR maybe it's just being handled via additional cloud space consumed by "optimized versions"... it's the users responsibility to just *have* optimized versions on hand to suit all their needs... then you'll just be able to direct-stream from the cloud, as long as an optimized version, appropriate for the specific client attempting playback, already exists...?
post #1720 of 1809 Old 09-27-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Plex Cloud will use Amazon computing resources on demand for transcoding.

Plex will not comment about the gray area where Amazon TOS will basically delete potential copyright infringing content and terminate your account. There is no way to prove that your collection is non infringing.

More then likely most full Blu-ray rips will require transcoding.

post #1721 of 1809 Old 09-28-2016, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Plex Cloud seems to be for new users or those with small media libraries. I cannot imagine any moderately tech savvy user or those with medium-large libraries using this.

Storing unencrypted private media, which even if ripped from media you own is still illegal, on a public cloud in the US is a terrible and dangerous idea.

Amazon is going to get billions of files, on all of which they will run automated content hashing, and I bet they will dedup a vast majority of those and save costs since its all comig from the the same source. And in one easy switch, as soon as they get a DMCA takedown, thousands of users can have their files deleted and much worse, their Amazon accounts terminated.

Plex can very easily solve this by having a client upload encrypted media, and their player apps decrypt it - its not hard at all to do this. But this costs more, and I bet they have some sweet deals with Amazon to enable all this.
post #1722 of 1809 Old 09-28-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Hmm, the only use for this is perhaps for "mobile" created media....i..e pictures, videos we take with our phones, etc. Even that is not all that exciting to me....I accomplish the same thing with something like google drive and my plex server.

Legalities aside, even with the best of uploads speeds ...no way in @#$% I would attempt uploading my 12+tb of movies. Local storage is cheap, much faster and safer, and it really doesnt take all that much to have a decent server. I already cuss at how long it takes to rip a disc and store it on one of my network drives.
post #1723 of 1809 Old 10-13-2016, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

OK, resurrecting this thread for some help.

I have my NUC running with Plex Media Player, and I have a few issues, both of which are all non-starters for me:

1. For some reason the NUC won't handshake with my av processor. It's a Marantz AV7005 and I havne't ever had an issue getting it to handshake.
- When I plug the NUC into the TV directly, it works. When I plug it into the pre/pro nothing shows up on the TV.
- When i have the NUC plugged into the pre/pro I can switch between the Bluray player and the NUC. BR works, NUC doesn't.

When plugged into the TV
2. the image is dark, lacking detail and not sharp. I can find no setting that would be causing this. It's not even transcoding the video. I swapped between the app built into the TV and the NUC, there is a noticeable difference in image quality.
3. The core issue with the TV app is it wont pass the original audio, transcodes audio to DTS. No HD audio. The nook says it can do HD Audio but plugged into the TV it's not. The option for changing the audio track is grayed out. Now this could be because the TV is limiting it, but not totally sure.

Any help is MUCH appreciated. I've invested $170 in the NUC but if this is as good as it gets I'll have to Ebay it and go for something else that will do HD Audio.
post #1724 of 1809 Old 10-14-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

What OS is on the NUC?

My father has issues with his NUC from time to time. For example, right now it has decided to quit playing audio. My guess is the NUC or Kodi has decided to start sending audio to the wrong HDMI port, but I don't want to try to walk him through changing it, it usually takes an hour to walk him through the simplest things. I sure wish the Shield would have been around when I got that NUC.
post #1725 of 1809 Old 10-17-2016, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With PLEX can I play my mkv files from an external HDD directly as opposed to stream. I am asking this because of Comcast's data cap limit
post #1726 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Finally, it's here! Can't wait to try this out:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/co...omment_1281387
[Android TV] Seek and skip improvements during playback. (Using D-pad, gamepad triggers, or OSD actions: single-click to short skip and long-press for fast seeking.)
Ken.F likes this.
post #1727 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goke313 View Post
With PLEX can I play my mkv files from an external HDD directly as opposed to stream. I am asking this because of Comcast's data cap limit
I'm not sure there isn't some confusion here. Comcast's cap limit would only affect if you were streaming to a remote computer outside your home. Otherwise it's all inside your home network and doesn't affect Comcast at all.

You run plex on a computer/server which can access movies stored on an internal or external hard drive. You can either watch them locally on that machine (if it's set up to do so) or stream to any device in your home and that would not affect your comcast data cap. You can also stream to a device outside your home and that would affect your cap.

I have Comcast and it's cap in our area is currently 300 GB. I'm not sure what else you use your internet for but you can fit a lot of streaming in that especially if you are transcoding to a 720P or 480p feed (for off site only).
goke313 likes this.
post #1728 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Comcast's cap limit would only affect if you were streaming to a remote computer outside your home.
That's true if you run a local Plex server. If you use their new cloud server all streaming would be done over the internet.
post #1729 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
That's true if you run a local Plex server. If you use their new cloud server all streaming would be done over the internet.
AHHH good point! I don't use the cloud and wasn't really thinking about that.

So the original question makes a lot more sense and the answer is, yes the movies can be stored on an external HD. It does not have to be in the cloud.
post #1730 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
What OS is on the NUC?

My father has issues with his NUC from time to time. For example, right now it has decided to quit playing audio. My guess is the NUC or Kodi has decided to start sending audio to the wrong HDMI port, but I don't want to try to walk him through changing it, it usually takes an hour to walk him through the simplest things. I sure wish the Shield would have been around when I got that NUC.
Sorry I've been out of town for a few days. The NUC is running Plex Media Player.

After tinkering around last night here is my current status and ongoing issues:

1. I was able to get the NUC to handshake on HDMI 1. As of yet I can't get it to handshake on HDMI 2. HDMI 2 does handshake with my Dune video player so I'm not sure why it works with one device and not the other if this were a problem with my processor. The handshake on HDMI 1 is slower for the NUC than with any other device I've tried so I may try it in 2 again tonight and wait it out, but I really gave it an excessively long time when i tried it last week.

2. With the NUC on the Marantz pre/pro, it now passes HD Audio through so that problem was caused by going through the TV, as speculated so that issue is closed.

3. With the NUC plugged into HDMI 1, and passed through to my Samsung KS9000, there are three image issues:
3.A - the image darkens after it's on for 30 seconds or so. I am guessing this has something to do with the TV's "energy saving" which is part of the Samsung "Standard Mode" where it shows the Green compliant trademark. When I put the image in dynamic mode which has no such marking, the screen does not darken. Dynamic is overly vivid and bright giving everything an almost fake/enhanced look so not my preference. I will probably post about this in the KS9000 thread and see if anyone has any thoughts. None of my other devices dim down like this in standard mode.
3.B - closely tied to the above, most of the picture adjustment settings are grayed out with the NUC image. Some basics such as brightness / contrast / backlight are still there, but the color settings are mostly grayed along with some others. This makes adjusting the dynamic mode difficult.
3.C - The image seems squashed flatter than it's supposed to be. I have gone into the settings for zoom / stretch where I initially had it said on "normal" but have also tried all settings that didn't say "crop" or "zoom" and none of them leave what would look like the correct aspect ratio. The image is wide enough, but the black bands top and bottom seem taller than they are supposed to be and the image looks stretched (as if it's actually being flattened by taller black bands). I tried watching a TV show that was supposed to be formatted for a true 16:9 TV, but even it had some black bars which it really shouldn't. Most of my files are MKV's. The MKV's are either uncompressed/unaltered rips (Make MKV), OR handbrake rips which would crop the black bars out of the image file. Both of these types seem to exhibit the same image flattening. The MakeMKV file would still include the black bar as part of the image file and the handbrake would not, yet both seemed to be "flattened" to some extend.
So there are the items I'm still looking for help with. I will probably copy the contents of 3 A-C above into the KS9000 thread as that part may be best answered there. I'll have the KS9000 manual open tonight for certain.

As always any and all help is appreciated!!

Thanks
post #1731 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Samsung LNT4671f in a guest room (man I HATE that TV, but that's another subject). You need to put the TV in Movie mode I think it is, or maybe it is Cinema. Then you can fully adjust the other settings. At least that's how it works on mine. Anything else has the wrong color temperature, IIRC Warm 2 is the closest to the standard.

The right setting for the aspect ratio is weird too, IIRC. It is "Full" I think.
post #1732 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a Samsung LNT4671f in a guest room (man I HATE that TV, but that's another subject). You need to put the TV in Movie mode I think it is, or maybe it is Cinema. Then you can fully adjust the other settings. At least that's how it works on mine. Anything else has the wrong color temperature, IIRC Warm 2 is the closest to the standard.

The right setting for the aspect ratio is weird too, IIRC. It is "Full" I think.
Thanks, the NUC is limiting my options. The two modes available are Standard and Dynamic but I think there are some other optional modes in a seperate menu. Its different than the Samsung plasma I had previously which did have a "movie mode"

I'm in warm 1, but will try warm 2. It does help tone down dynamic which strongly shades to a vibrant blue. None of the TV aspects seem to help on the NUC or TV. The TV is pretty simplistic. 16:9 or 4:3. that's it.
post #1733 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, the NUC is limiting my options. The two modes available are Standard and Dynamic but I think there are some other optional modes in a seperate menu. Its different than the Samsung plasma I had previously which did have a "movie mode"

I'm in warm 1, but will try warm 2. It does help tone down dynamic which strongly shades to a vibrant blue. None of the TV aspects seem to help on the NUC or TV. The TV is pretty simplistic. 16:9 or 4:3. that's it.
I don't recall our NUC having any Dynamic or Standard settings, but we are running OpenELEC. That's why I asked you what OS you are on. I still don't know, but now I'm guessing Windows.
post #1734 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
I don't recall our NUC having any Dynamic or Standard settings, but we are running OpenELEC. That's why I asked you what OS you are on. I still don't know, but now I'm guessing Windows.
+1

i think he is trying to set it through windows. install the PMP embedded version, dont rely on windows. also see this thread: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/19...ure-quality/p1

btw, the new versions of PMP is based on LibreELEC, they dumped openelec a while back.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - 6 TB TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #1735 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rob3 View Post
Finally, it's here! Can't wait to try this out:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/co...omment_1281387
[Android TV] Seek and skip improvements during playback. (Using D-pad, gamepad triggers, or OSD actions: single-click to short skip and long-press for fast seeking.)
I just looked and it's not on mine, and Google Play says I'm up to date. Guess I will have to wait on my staged rollout spot in line.

This may be the end of Kodi/SPMC for me. I've been excited about this since they first said they would do it.

Last edited by TornadoTJ; 10-18-2016 at 01:21 PM.
post #1736 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sorry, those setting (Dynamic / Standard) are in my Samsung KS9000 TV. I could have made that a little more clear as I'm talking about multiple pieces of hardware. The NUC is running Plex Media Player which runs on top of OpenELEC. (it comes that way when you download it from Plex).

Based on what I've heard here and in the KS9000 thread:

My items 3A/B above, concerning the darkening of the image is likely going on in the TV and has something to do with the Smart (dumb) TV seeing the NUC as an HTPC and changing my options as a result.

My items 3C above, concerning the aspect ratio of the image is something going on in the NUC with Plex Media Player on OpenELEC.

I have some ideas on possibly how to fix TV settings issue but am completely puzzled as of yet on the aspect ratio problem.
post #1737 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait a minute, Plex Media Player on OpenELEC? That's a new one for me. I have installed Plex Media SERVER on OpenELEC, but never the player. I don't know why you would, given OpenELEC has Kodi as its core player.

Make sure you have any GREEN options and Dynamic Contrast turned off on the TV. This will fix a lot of problems for you.
post #1738 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
i think he is trying to set it through windows. install the PMP embedded version, dont rely on windows. also see this thread: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/19...ure-quality/p1

btw, the new versions of PMP is based on LibreELEC, they dumped openelec a while back.
Both of those are new to me. I have always considered OpenELEC and LibreELEC to be a pared down OS for Kodi.
post #1739 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
has something to do with the Smart (dumb) TV seeing the NUC as an HTPC and changing my options as a result.
I can't speak for yours, but on my Samsung, to do that you have to tell the TV that it is a PC plugged into it, I think you rename the input PC and it sets those settings automatically. Have you renamed the input on the TV to PC?
post #1740 of 1809 Old 10-18-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have always considered OpenELEC and LibreELEC to be a pared down OS for Kodi.
Since Plex is a fork of XBMC/Kodi that sort of makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers