Plex Discussion Thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

Old 11-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
I assure you the Shield is more than capable of keeping a full bit rate of video going.

It is very possible that what you are seeing is judder and not stutter. If your TV is not capable of playing back 24 fps material in the native format, it must do 3:2 pull-down, which will cause judder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

If you are indeed seeing stutter, you probably have a network issue. The Shield and Plex are far more than capable of playing back a full bit rate rip with no transcode, even the weakest server can do this as it really does not have to do anything other than send the file.

I do not see stutter even with my Nexus Players, and the Shield is something like 20x more powerful.

For the record, I own 3 Shields. One is on a Panasonic 65VT60 and a second on a Panasonic 60ST50. These TVs would certainly show any playback issues, if they existed. (the third is on a crappy Samsung plasma in my bedroom if you are keeping count)
I've heard of the 24 FPS vs 29.97 and the "judder" issue before, but not having had a pervasive issue, I've never fully educated myself on it or how to deal with it. Let me provide a little more information and if you can give me any thoughts on where to look to solve this I would appreciate it. I will add to this, I've played both these videos through a Dune Smart D1 from the same source files and not had this issue. The biggest key difference is the use of Plex instead of direct play off the network location.

Here is a quick rundown of the hardware involved:
  • Samsung UN55KS9000 TV.
  • UnRaid server running Plex server. Xeon E3-1241v3
  • Gigabit network, dual NIC's on the server.
  • All relatively new network cabling between the server and the Shield. Cat 5e or 6.

My movies are played with no transocding of audio or video at this location.

I think there are some settings in the KS9000 to deal with Judder, though I may be remembering settings in my 8000 series plasma (still upstairs). I will look when I get home.

If I play the original media off a blu-ray player to the tv, there is no studder/judder, so how do I resolve this issue from here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2016, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 534
How about trying a different player to see if the problem still exists outside of Plex?
Old 11-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How about trying a different player to see if the problem still exists outside of Plex?
I did not have the problem with my Dune Smart D1.

Tonight I'm going to try the Plex built into the TV, and from my PC both in plex and outside plex.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I assure you the Shield is more than capable of keeping a full bit rate of video going.

It is very possible that what you are seeing is judder and not stutter. If your TV is not capable of playing back 24 fps material in the native format, it must do 3:2 pull-down, which will cause judder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

If you are indeed seeing stutter, you probably have a network issue. The Shield and Plex are far more than capable of playing back a full bit rate rip with no transcode, even the weakest server can do this as it really does not have to do anything other than send the file.

I do not see stutter even with my Nexus Players, and the Shield is something like 20x more powerful.

For the record, I own 3 Shields. One is on a Panasonic 65VT60 and a second on a Panasonic 60ST50. These TVs would certainly show any playback issues, if they existed. (the third is on a crappy Samsung plasma in my bedroom if you are keeping count)
I came home tonight and watched the same movie from the Plex app built into the TV, and on PMP on my PC, and in both cases there were no issues. However, the Shield shows judder / studder at the same spots when you watch the video over and over again. There is setting in the tv to try and control judder, which i ran at maximum and no affect. There is a settling in the Shield to alter the refresh rate. Auto and Off, I've tried it both ways. no affect.

I even watched it from both the TV and PMP simultaneously with no issues, which tells me it's not a server or network related isue. I'm not sure what the issue with the shield is.

The effect is like a hesitation. The screen freezes for a fraction of a second and then skips ahead to where it should have been. That's why I was calling it a studder.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Crappy wiring or bad patch cords perhaps? Try different cables and see if the issues return.

Media Computer Specs
ASUS H87M-E LGA 1150....Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell....Intel Network Adapter....8GB DDR3 SDRAM....Windows 7 x64.....Plex....Drobo 5N....Drobo Gen2
Old 11-19-2016, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post
Crappy wiring or bad patch cords perhaps? Try different cables and see if the issues return.
Last night one movie ran fine on the Plex app connected to the TV, but not on the Shield, and that means only one cable in the network is different between the TV and the Shield. I replaced it with a brand new cable last night but nothing is any better.

I did in the past few months upgrade to a sever grade MB in my unRAID box and started using dual NIC's. There are 3 different ways to set up dual NIC's in unraid to split the bandwidth usage. I think I'm going to turn that off (single NIC) just to see if possibly that is an issue (though it shoudln't be).

I'll also take the Shield into the computer room, plug it into a monitor, and I know I can get down to two brand new Ethernet cables and one almost new switch in the network path. If it still skips like this, I'm throwing the network out as the culprit.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have several NICs in use on my server. But I don't do NIC bonding, as it isn't needed here. Gigabit supports several TVs at once on my network.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Well for everyone who has been helping me through the saga.... I've done about every troubleshooting trick I've been able to come up with, replacing wires, switches, moving the server to eliminate the attic wire run. I turned off the bonded nic's. I can find no reason for this.

I'll rely on my last check. I used my 5 year old ASUS i3 laptop and plugged it into the same port / cable the Shield was plugged into. I installed PMP on the laptop and there were no issues streaming HD Audio and the original video format.

The more movies I watched pieces of, the more I'm seeing this sporadic freeze and jump on the video processing, seemingly at least some in every movie. It's only a fraction of a second but it goes from the barely preceptable to unacceptably bad. There is no timing pattern to these little "studders/judders" and the more that is going on in the scene the worse it is.

I even re-ripped one movie where the video wasn't compressed with handbrake and no change.

I can only see one of two things. I have a bad Shield or it just can't handle the bitrate of these videos. It seems hard to believe that this symptom could be bad hardware. However, based on everyone's feedback here with no issues, I'm going back to Best Buy tomorrow to have them swap the unit. I guess I'll know in a couple days.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm curious to see if the new unit solves your issues. I still do not believe it can't handle the bitrate as I never see these issues, and it's by far the most powerful box of its type on the market.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm curious to see if the new unit solves your issues. I still do not believe it can't handle the bitrate as I never see these issues, and it's by far the most powerful box of its type on the market.
So things seem to be OK with the new unit. I had to go change both the Shield and Plex settings to "changing the refresh rate" (not recalling the exact language), but once both were on that setting it plays smoothly. I am CERTAIN I tried this combination before and it didn't work, but it made the difference this time around.

I'll be watching / testing a bit today but if it keeps going this well, I think I'm done with all this. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1585 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
This looks interesting- An official Plex add-on for Kodi.

https://forums.plex.tv/categories/plex-for-kodi
Old 12-01-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
This looks interesting- An official Plex add-on for Kodi.

https://forums.plex.tv/categories/plex-for-kodi
Interested to hear from large library users how well this handles things. Curious about how they manage the kodi database
Old 12-01-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Interested to hear from large library users how well this handles things. Curious about how they manage the kodi database
How about you install it and tell me? I'm out of town so no tinkering for me.

The PlexKodiConnect add-on initially worked well for me, but I think an update broke something around the time the Plex app improved navigation. I moved away from the SPMC/PKC combo at that time. Now the Plex app has TrueHD passthrough so I have less reason to switch back.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have over 2300 movies and 73 different TV series in my library so I guess you could call that large.

I first tried it out on my Mi Box in Kodi 16.1 and it worked great. Everything loads quickly and navigation is quick. There isn't much of a point to running it on the Mi Box since I have the Android Plex app on it too, but I was already using it when I decided to mess around with the add-on.

Then I tried it on one of my RPi2s running OpenELEC Kodi 16.1. It wouldn't even launch. I haven't taken the time to find out why yet, but I remember seeing something on the forum about it being slow on the Raspberry Pi. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time to load?

I'm not sure what you mean by manage the Kodi database. It doesn't add your Plex library to Kodi, it just lets you access your Plex server with an add-on inside of Kodi.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
How about you install it and tell me? I'm out of town so no tinkering for me.

The PlexKodiConnect add-on initially worked well for me
I'm not a plex passer, so I'll be waiting a little longer. A lot longer since I'd have to install plex altogether, which is something I was planning to do around the holidays

Not totally sure, but I don't think this shares the same method as plexkodiconnect. End result should be the same, but hopefully two different ways of getting there
Old 12-02-2016, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So it seemingly just opens a window inside Kodi pointing to your plex shares. Does it use Kodi for playback, bitstreaming, etc?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

gomo657 likes this.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Plex add-on is in the Kodi repository now.

https://kodi.tv/plex-add-on-for-kodi/
Old 12-18-2016, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm using plex for my media organization. I have local Plex server installation and don't have Plex pass account.
Internal Plex app on my smart LG TV (oled65c6p) doesn't work without Plex account so I opted out to access Plex server via browser on smart TV. It works OK.
I would like to get the best possible picture and sound out of my setup. Please let me know if it makes server for me to build HTPC that would serve 4k@60hz video output and use madVR for processing? Would that make a difference for me?
If it makes sense, in order to keep things seamless with my Plex library I would need to get Kodi with PlexKodiConnect pointed to my Plex server (as far as I read Kodi has plugin that supports madVR). Quick question here, do you know if playstate is sync-ed seamlessly between Plex clients and PKC? Also having HTPC will help me to get best from HD Audio. Right now using internal Plex all I get only 48khz sampling rates over optical output from TV to DAC (which supports 192khz audio).
Pardon if my questions are silly, I'm kinda new to that area.

Last edited by tenek; 12-20-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI: The Plex add-on for Kodi says it only works on specific Kodi builds. It installed and works perfectly in LibreELEC Alpha. Really nice.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenek View Post
If it makes sense, in order to keep things seamless with my Plex library I would need to get Kodi with PlexKodiConnect pointed to my Plex server (as far as I read Kodi has plugin that supports madVR). Quick question here, do you know if playstate is sync-ed seamlessly between Plex clients and PKC? Also having HTPC will help me to get best from HD Audio. Right now using internal Plex all I get only 48khz sampling rates over optical output from TV to DAC (which supports 192khz audio).
Pardon if my questions are silly, I'm kinda new to that area.
You don't need to use PKC anymore. There's a repository add-on for Plex client on Kodi. It works really well. Oops, Plex Pass only, I forgot, you'll have to stick with PKC.

Play state is sync'd either with PKC or the new official add-on. That is really the whole idea, especially with PKC since PKC does not change the interface.

As long as you are using your TV, and outputting through optical, you are going to be limited on audio formats. You really should get a Raspberry Pi, Chromebox, NVidia Shield, Nexus Player, etc. for playback through a receiver.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TornadoTJ, thanks for confirming. Good to know that PKC is a workable solution. I'm thinking aboutcustom HTPC build. Something similar to this one. That way I can use my USB DAC 100%. BTW, if someone knows, watching Plex in browser and using internal TV client would provide the same quality results?
Old 12-23-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What's supported through the official addon when using a Pi or Shield? Does Plex transcode audio or let Kodi do the decoding (or passthrough only?). Is 3D MVC passed to the pi like with PKC?
Old 12-28-2016, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 235
New Beta release (#4) to the DVR just released... I may try to update tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have started using plex more on my nvidia shield. I have some of my movies I have converted and than ran through handbrake and don''t have subtitles attached.

What is the easiest way to get Forced subtitles back into the movie with plex without going through makemkv and handbrake again?

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings

Last edited by cburbs; 12-29-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just remux them in the future and leave out the handbrake operation.

For the ones you already compressed you go Plex Server / Settings / Server / Agents / Movies tab / Plex Movie / Check OpenSubtitles.org. Then you'll need to hit the gear icon and enter your account settings.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Just remux them in the future and leave out the handbrake operation.

For the ones you already compressed you go Plex Server / Settings / Server / Agents / Movies tab / Plex Movie / Check OpenSubtitles.org. Then you'll need to hit the gear icon and enter your account settings.
OK I signed up at opensubtitles and added that.

Movie example - The Martian
It added Subtitle - English (SRT External)

I don't think that is what I am looking for. I just want forced subtitles in scenes that are needed.

What am I missing....

Sony 55EX500 Settings
Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
OK I signed up at opensubtitles and added that.

Movie example - The Martian
It added Subtitle - English (SRT External)

I don't think that is what I am looking for. I just want forced subtitles in scenes that are needed.

What am I missing....
Double check the Plex server subtitle setting in languages.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Automatically select audio and subtitle tracks - Unchecked

Automatically select audio and subtitle tracks in your preferred language when possible.- English

Prefer audio tracks in - English

Subtitle mode - always enabled

Sony 55EX500 Settings

Last edited by cburbs; 12-30-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's supported through the official addon when using a Pi or Shield? Does Plex transcode audio or let Kodi do the decoding (or passthrough only?). Is 3D MVC passed to the pi like with PKC?
I have not confirmed it yet, but it appears everything is going through Kodi for playback. So, Plex is essentially a skin over Kodi, and performs the same functions as PKC in regards to tracking watch points. I should mention that I'm doing this testing on a Celeron NUC, not a Shield. I have a NUC in my RV with LibreELEC installed, along with Plex Server. And since I had it there, I figured I'd throw the new Plex Kodi release on it and do some testing. We used it for 10 days with no issues.
Dark_Slayer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement