Plex Discussion Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes
post #1891 of 1959 Unread 01-30-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Anybody on here running PMS on a Win10 box?

I like to have a scheduled reboot once or twice a week... And it is proving to be OBNOXIOUSLY difficult to get Windows to boot back up on its own and start PMS for me, automatically, without me first having to enter my login and password.

Ive run netplwiz, and unchecked the box that says "users have to provide username and password to use this PC".

When I reboot, it says something about how my password doesn't match, and doesn't finish logging in/booting up/starting PMS without a username and password.

Obnoxious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1959 Unread 01-31-2017, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

I like to have a scheduled reboot once or twice a week... And it is proving to be OBNOXIOUSLY difficult to get Windows to boot back up on its own and start PMS for me, automatically, without me first having to enter my login and password.

Ive run netplwiz, and unchecked the box that says "users have to provide username and password to use this PC".

When I reboot, it says something about how my password doesn't match, and doesn't finish logging in/booting up/starting PMS without a username and password.

Obnoxious.
Try using Autologon https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...or=-2147217396

post #1893 of 1959 Unread 01-31-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:

On my media server, I have been running Plex Server under Win-10 since Win-10 came out. I have a weekly server reboot implemented in Task Scheduler (Mondays @7:00AM). No problems. Win-10 reboots and restarts Plex Server along with the other server apps I have running on my media server. Now granted, I do not have a Win-10 password implemented on my media server -- no need for it -- so it boots up directly to the main user desktop, loads the server apps and is ready to go without any user intervention.

How are you triggering the Win-10 reboot.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1894 of 1959 Unread 01-31-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
Perfect, thanks, I'll definitely give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
On my media server, I have been running Plex Server under Win-10 since Win-10 came out. I have a weekly server reboot implemented in Task Scheduler (Mondays @7:00AM). No problems. Win-10 reboots and restarts Plex Server along with the other server apps I have running on my media server. Now granted, I do not have a Win-10 password implemented on my media server -- no need for it -- so it boots up directly to the main user desktop, loads the server apps and is ready to go without any user intervention.

How are you triggering the Win-10 reboot.
I totally agree, I have no need for password protection on my desktop/server, and I'm looking to avoid it/eliminate it.

I am triggering the Win-10 reboots (twice a week) via "Task Scheduler".

I built the PC myself, and installed Win10 OEM myself. Early in setup I installed PMS (primary purpose for the box's existance). Everything was great. I said I didn't want to use a password, and it was working just as I wanted.

But when I wanted to do something with the Windows App Store, and signed in with my "Windows credentials" (which I'm sure are associated with everything I've done in my life, on previous boxes, that were Microsoft related - IE, my old hotmail e-mail address, my current Win10 laptop (and associated app store usage, my old Xbox 360 gamertag, etc), something mysterious happened. My generic windows desktop background instantly changed to the personalized background that I have on my Win10 laptop, and all of the sudden these requirements for a login/password (which I don't mind having on my laptop, but DO NOT WANT on my desktop/server) began...
post #1895 of 1959 Unread 01-31-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I have a Plex Server, running on my home network up in my office. I run it on a Windows 10 PC, with I think an Intel i7-4790, and have 32 gb of ram. This computer is hooked via LAN to my home network. My movies are ripped from bluray at full resolution in an .mkv format.

In my theater room, I am running the Plex app on an Nvidia Shield (so, not a local plex server), and my Shield is also hooked up via LAN cord to my same home network...

A lot of times, when I play movies at full speed (the setting where you can say play at original speed, maybe 28mbs/second, or choose downgraded speeds/ quality), I get stutters & hiccups in the playback. If I choose a slower speed, then it works fine.

I was previously running the plex app on a Roku 4, and it had the same issues. Part of why I bought the new Nvidia Shield, thinking that might help... but it hasn't.

I was under the impression that on a home network, all connected via cat 5/cat 6, with high speed router, etc., that I wouldn't have this issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this? or, is this just 'normal'?
post #1896 of 1959 Unread 01-31-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I have a Plex Server, running on my home network up in my office. I run it on a Windows 10 PC, with I think an Intel i7-4790, and have 32 gb of ram. This computer is hooked via LAN to my home network. My movies are ripped from bluray at full resolution in an .mkv format.

In my theater room, I am running the Plex app on an Nvidia Shield (so, not a local plex server), and my Shield is also hooked up via LAN cord to my same home network...

A lot of times, when I play movies at full speed (the setting where you can say play at original speed, maybe 28mbs/second, or choose downgraded speeds/ quality), I get stutters & hiccups in the playback. If I choose a slower speed, then it works fine.

I was previously running the plex app on a Roku 4, and it had the same issues. Part of why I bought the new Nvidia Shield, thinking that might help... but it hasn't.

I was under the impression that on a home network, all connected via cat 5/cat 6, with high speed router, etc., that I wouldn't have this issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this? or, is this just 'normal'?
It's not normal. I run Plex (only as a Client) on four NVidia Shields, and do not experience "stutter".

I would first recommend checking the settings you have on your Shield. Are you using "direct stream"?

Also, do you have any ethernet switches in use, or is both the Shield and the PC hooked up directly to the router?
post #1897 of 1959 Unread 01-31-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This worked for me. Thanks for the great suggestion.
post #1898 of 1959 Unread 01-31-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not normal. I run Plex (only as a Client) on four NVidia Shields, and do not experience "stutter".

I would first recommend checking the settings you have on your Shield. Are you using "direct stream"?

Also, do you have any ethernet switches in use, or is both the Shield and the PC hooked up directly to the router?
I'll take a look at my settings... should it be on Direct Stream?

I will also have to look at my network set up. I am pretty sure my HTPC running the server is direct connected to the router. I am pretty sure though, that the Nvidia Shield (and previously Roku), are connected to an Ethernet switch in my AV closet for my theater room. I actually have two ethernet switches, one in my main 'home run' location, and then I have one in my AV Closet... it is possible, that the one in the AV closet is connected via the other switch.

Thanks for the ideas to look at!
post #1899 of 1959 Unread 01-31-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
But when I wanted to do something with the Windows App Store, and signed in with my "Windows credentials" . . . something mysterious happened. My generic windows desktop background instantly changed to the personalized background that I have on my Win10 laptop, and all of the sudden these requirements for a login/password (which I don't mind having on my laptop, but DO NOT WANT on my desktop/server) began...
Part of the obnoxious intrusiveness of Win-10. I experienced this myself. I wanted to get something from the app store on my laptop and had to create an MS account to get it. It did the same thing you observed and took over my laptop. I had to login so it could go out to MS server and let them start watching me. I found no way to get out from under their intrusive thumb other than go delete the user account in order to reclaim control of my laptop. They can go pound sand up their butts as far as their app store is concerned. I consider Win-10 to be an abuse of their power. [/rant]

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1900 of 1959 Unread 02-01-2017, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
I'll take a look at my settings... should it be on Direct Stream?

I will also have to look at my network set up. I am pretty sure my HTPC running the server is direct connected to the router. I am pretty sure though, that the Nvidia Shield (and previously Roku), are connected to an Ethernet switch in my AV closet for my theater room. I actually have two ethernet switches, one in my main 'home run' location, and then I have one in my AV Closet... it is possible, that the one in the AV closet is connected via the other switch.

Thanks for the ideas to look at!
Yea on your Shield, within the Plex app, under Settings --> advanced settings, try:

Direct Play = auto
Direct Stream = on
And if you have an AVR for audio, you can set Passthrough to Auto.

I also have refresh rate switching on, too.

It's just an idea, but this may alleviate any transcoding problems you might be having...

Last edited by psuKinger; 02-01-2017 at 03:50 AM.
post #1901 of 1959 Unread 02-05-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I'm sure this has already been asked numerous times so I apologize if I'm being redundant. I have Plex up and running on my unRAID server so I can access movies and videos on my Nvidia Shield. I see that they're offering lifetime Plex on sale again and I'm wondering why I would need any of the features vs. the free version. What exactly are the benefits that would make me want to pay for a program that already works in the free version?
post #1902 of 1959 Unread 02-05-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I'm sure this has already been asked numerous times so I apologize if I'm being redundant. I have Plex up and running on my unRAID server so I can access movies and videos on my Nvidia Shield. I see that they're offering lifetime Plex on sale again and I'm wondering why I would need any of the features vs. the free version. What exactly are the benefits that would make me want to pay for a program that already works in the free version?
Most of the "extra" features have failed to work for me more often than they have...

I bought it for PlexSync, and PlexSync didn't work (for me, syncing to my devices, at least) for more than a year after I bought it (certainly didn't work for me for the trip that I took right after I bought it, which was my primary reason to use it).

All the extra-special music-matching goodness doesn't work (for me).

Although I do think they're likely to (eventually) get a really slick functioning DVR going at some point, so if that interests you, that'd be a good reason, IMO.
post #1903 of 1959 Unread 02-05-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most of the "extra" features have failed to work for me more often than they have...

I bought it for PlexSync, and PlexSync didn't work (for me, syncing to my devices, at least) for more than a year after I bought it (certainly didn't work for me for the trip that I took right after I bought it, which was my primary reason to use it).

All the extra-special music-matching goodness doesn't work (for me).

Although I do think they're likely to (eventually) get a really slick functioning DVR going at some point, so if that interests you, that'd be a good reason, IMO.
So it looks like I don't need to spend the money for the extra features. I use WMC for recording both FIOS and OTA and the Plex DVR function looks like it only works for OTA. Thanks for the feedback.
post #1904 of 1959 Unread 02-05-2017, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So it looks like I don't need to spend the money for the extra features. I use WMC for recording both FIOS and OTA and the Plex DVR function looks like it only works for OTA. Thanks for the feedback.
Plex DVR works with my Cablecard, same as WMC and HDHR DVR (I use all 3).

FWIW.
post #1905 of 1959 Unread 02-05-2017, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
To connect your network shares, can you create a batch file and have it run when the machine boots?
For example, you can do:

NET USE \\HOSTNAME /USER:domain\user

I think you can just leave the /USER part off if no user is required. I'm not sure where you can reference this batch script so it run at start-up, but a separate Google search should provide that.

Good luck.

Edit: After I answered the post, the post disappeared - so perhaps the user got his answer. Now it looks like I'm responding to nothing
post #1906 of 1959 Unread 02-05-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
To connect your network shares, can you create a batch file and have it run when the machine boots?
For example, you can do:

NET USE \\HOSTNAME /USER:domain\user

I think you can just leave the /USER part off if no user is required. I'm not sure where you can reference this batch script so it run at start-up, but a separate Google search should provide that.

Good luck.

Edit: After I answered the post, the post disappeared - so perhaps the user got his answer. Now it looks like I'm responding to nothing
Hey I came back to check and confirm that nobody had done exactly this: responded to my post after I deleted it.

Thanks. This is pretty much exactly what I did, and it worked! I followed the directions from this link, FWIW:
http://in5stepstutorials.com/windows...ork-drives.php

Worked like a charm. Again, thanks for trying to respond/help me out. Sorry I didn't get it deleted before you took the time to type it up...

For those that missed it, now that I have my auto-login working in Win10 (thanks to a previous poster), my connected NAS drives weren't automatically connecting anymore (they had been prior to running the auto-login... but that wasn't helpful, because I had to still come downstairs and type in my Hotmail login). So the combination of that auto-login and this sort of Batch File creation has been the 1-2 punch I needed to be able to schedule a twice-a-week auto-reboot and have my PC come back up on it's own, reconnect my network drives, and bring PMS back online, hands-off, all by itself.
post #1907 of 1959 Unread 02-05-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 169
You should be using UNC paths instead of mapped drives to access network resources. You wouldn't have problems with accesing the NAS before windows logs in (assuming you're running plex as a service).
AzDragonLord likes this.
post #1908 of 1959 Unread 02-06-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is there any way to adjust the fast forward and reverse times? As it is now, when I press fast forward it just jumps ahead in increments of 30 seconds. Many times I'll fast forward, but only the video jumps ahead and then freezes while it waits for the audio to catch up. Very annoying and defeats the purpose. This is using the Plex app on the Nvidia Shield TV first generation.
post #1909 of 1959 Unread 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Plex DVR works with my Cablecard, same as WMC and HDHR DVR (I use all 3).

FWIW.
WMC works just fine for me. I tried using the HDHR DVR and can't stand the UI. The lack of a grid guide makes it a non-starter. WMC is much improved since I started using EPG123 for my guide data. I completely cut ties with Microsoft and Rovi by using it. Guide data is much better with no more worries about data outages. There's more complete info in the guide, such as season and episode info. I can also get data out as far as 30 days, although any real usable info is only available out to just a little beyond 14 days.

I can't see spending money for a DVR app when I already have one that works great. I rarely share recordings between TVs, although I can for the vast majority of channels because I'm on FIOS and only a handful of premium channels plus any of the FX channels are copy once.
post #1910 of 1959 Unread 02-06-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
Is there any way to adjust the fast forward and reverse times? As it is now, when I press fast forward it just jumps ahead in increments of 30 seconds. Many times I'll fast forward, but only the video jumps ahead and then freezes while it waits for the audio to catch up. Very annoying and defeats the purpose. This is using the Plex app on the Nvidia Shield TV first generation.
I have the same problem, FF and RW, using the same client (Shield) with the same app (Plex-specific).

I think it's unique to the Shield, and not to Plex. I don't see this limitation (only FF and RW in 30-second chunks) or this problem (crashing/freezing if you try to push it to hard) on other Plex clients I use).
post #1911 of 1959 Unread 02-06-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WMC works just fine for me. I tried using the HDHR DVR and can't stand the UI. The lack of a grid guide makes it a non-starter. WMC is much improved since I started using EPG123 for my guide data. I completely cut ties with Microsoft and Rovi by using it. Guide data is much better with no more worries about data outages. There's more complete info in the guide, such as season and episode info. I can also get data out as far as 30 days, although any real usable info is only available out to just a little beyond 14 days.

I can't see spending money for a DVR app when I already have one that works great. I rarely share recordings between TVs, although I can for the vast majority of channels because I'm on FIOS and only a handful of premium channels plus any of the FX channels are copy once.
To each their own with provolone. Just tring to hlpe make sure you have an informed decision, is all. Glad you feel like you're making the right one for you!

FWIW, I probably would have run Win7 WMC for as long as it would run for me... fortunately for me, that date expired about 2 months ago. To your point, I couldn't see myself spending any $$$ on new hardware in order to run old software (Win7 WMC). I officially/fully transitioned to Windows10 and HDHR DVR... I was reluctant to do so at first, but I am much happier now on it than I ever have been with WMC. TIFWIW, and as always, YMMV.

Also, if you're paying $25 a year for EPG-123, I'd argue that you ARE paying for the one that "you already have and works great", which again, is fine, if you're happy with it, you're happy with it... all I'm saying is if HDHR isn't free (Free for Live TV, $30/year if you want pause/rw/DVR fucntionality) WMC isn't free either (free without EPG-123, $25/year with EPG-123).
post #1912 of 1959 Unread 02-07-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the same problem, FF and RW, using the same client (Shield) with the same app (Plex-specific).

I think it's unique to the Shield, and not to Plex. I don't see this limitation (only FF and RW in 30-second chunks) or this problem (crashing/freezing if you try to push it to hard) on other Plex clients I use).
This issue alone is enough to get me to dump Plex (again) and go back to Kodi/SPMC. But I would really miss Plex's "On Deck" featuer that displays the next unwatched episode in a series which I haven't been able to replicate in other apps. They (Kodi/SPMC) will display the series I'm currently watching, but not the next unwatched episode. Unless I'm completely missing something.
post #1913 of 1959 Unread 02-07-2017, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Quote:
I would really miss Plex's "On Deck" featuer that displays the next unwatched episode in a series which I haven't been able to replicate in other apps. They (Kodi/SPMC) will display the series I'm currently watching, but not the next unwatched episode. Unless I'm completely missing something.
We are getting off topic but... I saw a Kodi add-on that did something like that on KordKutters but I don't remember what it was called. Maybe it was LazyTV?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:LazyTV
post #1914 of 1959 Unread 02-07-2017, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This issue alone is enough to get me to dump Plex (again) and go back to Kodi/SPMC. But I would really miss Plex's "On Deck" featuer that displays the next unwatched episode in a series which I haven't been able to replicate in other apps. They (Kodi/SPMC) will display the series I'm currently watching, but not the next unwatched episode. Unless I'm completely missing something.
Keep Plex and add the PlexKodiConnect add-on or use Plex's own add-on.

post #1915 of 1959 Unread 02-07-2017, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea on your Shield, within the Plex app, under Settings --> advanced settings, try:

Direct Play = auto
Direct Stream = on
And if you have an AVR for audio, you can set Passthrough to Auto.

I also have refresh rate switching on, too.

It's just an idea, but this may alleviate any transcoding problems you might be having...
Changing my network set up to have a direct link from Router to HTPC and Router to Shield seems to have fixed the issue, Thanks for the suggestion!

I checked my other settings for the Direct Play/ Direct Stream, pass through audio to auto and those are all set up the right way.
post #1916 of 1959 Unread 02-08-2017, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
We are getting off topic but... I saw a Kodi add-on that did something like that on KordKutters but I don't remember what it was called. Maybe it was LazyTV?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:LazyTV
Interesting. I may have to give this a try. Thanks!
post #1917 of 1959 Unread 02-08-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Keep Plex and add the PlexKodiConnect add-on or use Plex's own add-on.
When I say that I may dump Plex, I'm referring to the app not the server. I've been using PlexKodiConnect for quite some time in Kodi/SPMC to keep track of watched states. Does it have another function?

I haven't tried the Plex add-on for Kodi/SPMC yet, but maybe this weekend.
post #1918 of 1959 Unread 02-08-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I say that I may dump Plex, I'm referring to the app not the server. I've been using PlexKodiConnect for quite some time in Kodi/SPMC to keep track of watched states. Does it have another function?

I haven't tried the Plex add-on for Kodi/SPMC yet, but maybe this weekend.
I'm pretty sure it has On Deck and recently added. You just have to map the shortcut the video library. I haven't used it since Plex got TrueHD. I made a post with instructions on how to do it with Titan skin.

post #1919 of 1959 Unread 02-08-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK,thanks. If I install the Plex add-on do I still need PlexKodiConnect or can I remove it?
post #1920 of 1959 Unread 02-08-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK,thanks. If I install the Plex add-on do I still need PlexKodiConnect or can I remove it?
I've never used the Plex add on. Only PKC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers