Plex Discussion Thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 85Likes

Old 02-08-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I am triggering the Win-10 reboots (twice a week) via "Task Scheduler".

I built the PC myself, and installed Win10 OEM myself. Early in setup I installed PMS (primary purpose for the box's existance). Everything was great. I said I didn't want to use a password, and it was working just as I wanted.

But when I wanted to do something with the Windows App Store, and signed in with my "Windows credentials" (which I'm sure are associated with everything I've done in my life, on previous boxes, that were Microsoft related - IE, my old hotmail e-mail address, my current Win10 laptop (and associated app store usage, my old Xbox 360 gamertag, etc), something mysterious happened. My generic windows desktop background instantly changed to the personalized background that I have on my Win10 laptop, and all of the sudden these requirements for a login/password (which I don't mind having on my laptop, but DO NOT WANT on my desktop/server) began...
Couple things
  1. Do you need whatever you got from the W10 app store?
  2. If not, you can delete the microsoft account and go back to the local account preventing the need for an additional 3rd party tool like auto login
  3. W10 reboots fairly regularly in the "maintenance window" - which you cannot adjust or tell it to go fly a kite, not every day but probably twice a week on it's own

Just some thoughts. I run a W10 server, and I've never added the microsoft account nor have I added anything from the app store. As a result, netplwz works nicely to log back in. I also don't really prefer the maintenance window to be set daily, and I would prefer not to reboot the server once a week. However, I've not gone through the trouble of modifying whatever task needs to be modified to make it stop, so it reboots pretty regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I'm sure this has already been asked numerous times so I apologize if I'm being redundant. I have Plex up and running on my unRAID server so I can access movies and videos on my Nvidia Shield. I see that they're offering lifetime Plex on sale again and I'm wondering why I would need any of the features vs. the free version. What exactly are the benefits that would make me want to pay for a program that already works in the free version?
I jumped on it

-So far music has been working great for me. Google Music has started to be really annoying (the app) so I have started working towards using Plex as a replacement
-Plex Sync has worked nicely (so far only used it to sync a few episodes to my N7 tablet). Interface is nicely integrated with sync, like I expected
-Access to the experimental quick sync transcoder is in use, but I haven't tested it enough to see how well it performs
-Plex Home is another reason for me. If I roll out Plex in place of Emby to my family I'll definitely need the home feature
-DVR works nice for me. It won't work for you unless your cable company plays nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Couple things
  2. If not, you can delete the microsoft account and go back to the local account preventing the need for an additional 3rd party tool like auto login
  3. W10 reboots fairly regularly in the "maintenance window" - which you cannot adjust or tell it to go fly a kite, not every day but probably twice a week on it's own

Just some thoughts. I run a W10 server, and I've never added the microsoft account nor have I added anything from the app store. As a result, netplwz works nicely to log back in. I also don't really prefer the maintenance window to be set daily, and I would prefer not to reboot the server once a week. However, I've not gone through the trouble of modifying whatever task needs to be modified to make it stop, so it reboots pretty regularly.

I jumped on it

-So far music has been working great for me. Google Music has started to be really annoying (the app) so I have started working towards using Plex as a replacement
-Plex Sync has worked nicely (so far only used it to sync a few episodes to my N7 tablet). Interface is nicely integrated with sync, like I expected
-Access to the experimental quick sync transcoder is in use, but I haven't tested it enough to see how well it performs
-Plex Home is another reason for me. If I roll out Plex in place of Emby to my family I'll definitely need the home feature
-DVR works nice for me. It won't work for you unless your cable company plays nice
I tried Plex music once my Google Music subscription expired. It sucked down my data like crazy. It doesn't have the built in caching like Google music does. It also seemed to not get along well with my car's Bluetooth. I resubscribed shortly after my attempt.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I tried Plex music once my Google Music subscription expired. It sucked down my data like crazy. It doesn't have the built in caching like Google music does. It also seemed to not get along well with my car's Bluetooth. I resubscribed shortly after my attempt.
We probably use it differently

I never subscribed to Google Music, but always opted to use the free upload feature and stream my own collection with the app/browser. The app continually moved further and further away from letting you use your own collection, to the point where it is painfully obvious that they don't give a rat's patoot about making it nice or usable in that way. Everybody wants stations, pandora-esque recommendations, etc, right? Your collection? Nah just use four extra taps to bring up the library and ensure those search results are always behind our "awesome" stations. I've never liked pandora or any "station" recommendation engine. I did enjoy the previous versions of the app, and regularly recommended it before it's focus shifted

On Plex, there isn't caching but you can sync. I'd like to see caching added, especially since the functionality is practically there

Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Do you have Plex Pass? Maybe the premium music feature helps with the tagging. If you have it make sure it is at the top of the agents list in your server settings.

I haven't had problems with my collection.
I have tried *almost* every combination of:
"Premium Music Library" vs "Basic Music Library"
In combination with:
For agents: "Plex Premium Music" first and checked, and "Local Media Assets" below it (checked and unchecked)
With the option to "use embedded tags" when I set up the library, both checked and unchecked.

For example, I just created a "Premium Library", and I *ONLY* pointed it towards my music files of MP3 purchases I made on Amazon (so quality, easy-to-match files, I'd think).
I moved Plex Premium Music to the top and made sure it was checked, for both Artist and Album, and I unchecked Local Media Assets and told it to ignore embedded tags.

Plex used the same album cover on basically all the music in that library.

I've also tried the exact opposite, where I've created a Basic library, made sure Local Media Assets was appearing first and checked, and checked the box to use "Embedded tags"... Windows Media Player scans this folder and perfectly matches these files. Plex? Not so much...

If anybody out there has any advise on what to try to improve Plex's music matching capabilities... I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed / answered, I didn't see anything in a perusal of this thread.

I just downloaded Plex a few days ago and had it import my media libraries. Traditionally I've kept movies and TV episodes in the same folder/subfolders. Importing some TV episodes worked great, however other TV episodes became completely unrelated movie titles (.avi format, mostly). I manually removed some, moved them to a different folder, and re-imported them to find the same issue.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Couple things

Thanks for the input. In short:
1) Yes, I did need the Win10 App store, for a couple of reasons (one being the HDHR View app for LiveTV, the other being Gears of War 4 Unified Experience, which I'm gamestreaming to NVidia Shield and playing with a buddy of mine who is on Xbox One).

2) I was able to fix my problems with a combination of the auto-login script posted earlier (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/autologon.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) combined with creating for myself a simple little batch file to automatically reconnect my NAS drives (following these directions: http://in5stepstutorials.com/windows-7/automatically-reconnect-windows-to-shared-network-drives.php).

Everything is working with what appears to be 100% consistency now. My system reboots automatically, logs back in to my Windows account automatically, loads PMS automatically, and reconnects all of my NAS drives (for PMS to use) automatically...

So all is well that ends well.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenata View Post
Point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed / answered, I didn't see anything in a perusal of this thread.

I just downloaded Plex a few days ago and had it import my media libraries. Traditionally I've kept movies and TV episodes in the same folder/subfolders. Importing some TV episodes worked great, however other TV episodes became completely unrelated movie titles (.avi format, mostly). I manually removed some, moved them to a different folder, and re-imported them to find the same issue.
From the Plex website:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/cat...ia-Preparation

Living Room: Denon X4000, XPA-5, Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, RTiA3-wides, FXiA4, OWM3, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5030, VApex 92”, Sony XBR9 52”, PS3, Xbox 360, Darbee, Harmony 1.
Bedroom: Denon X2000, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, RTiA1, SVS SB12-NSD, Sony XBR-55X850B, Sony BPD-S590, Xbox 360, RPi2-RasPlex, Darbee, Harmony 510.
Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors, Harmony 610.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is the PlexKodiConnect "On Deck" feature not supported in the Amber skin on SPMC? I just spend that past few hours trying to figure out how to set it up, but I'm not having any luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I have installed embedded plexmedia player on a pc I have . It has a Radeon 7750 video card. Am I able to bitstream audio with this configuration I have not been able to get it to work . Everything seems correct. Thanks for any help

Last edited by alex014; 02-14-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
Is the PlexKodiConnect "On Deck" feature not supported in the Amber skin on SPMC? I just spend that past few hours trying to figure out how to set it up, but I'm not having any luck.
I think you need to browse under Video Library and drill down the Plex shortcuts there.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you need to browse under Video Library and drill down the Plex shortcuts there.
That would make sense, but if there's a Video Library option/setting I haven't been able to find it anywhere. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
That would make sense, but if there's a Video Library option/setting I haven't been able to find it anywhere. But thanks for the suggestion.
It would be in the area where you make your menu shortcuts. I know it works for Titan.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi All, I'm a long-time Plex user who is finally building out a home theater with a projector and Cinemascope 2.35:1 screen. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge on how well Plex works with 2:35 screens. Is there a mode or skin I can get to take full advantage of the width of the screen when browsing content?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It would be in the area where you make your menu shortcuts. I know it works for Titan.
The Amber skin settings are significantly different than Titan's. I tried Titan and while it appears to be extremely customizable, I found it to be too convoluted and confusing and could never get it looking the way I wanted so I gave up on it. Maybe I'll have to revisit it if I can find some kind tutorial that explains all the settings and options. Unfortunately it's looking like Amber doesn't support adding custom menu shortcuts beyond the options already available in the skin settings. It will allow creation of about half a dozen shortcuts to the Add-ons section, but none for the TV or Movie sections. At least none that I could find.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 33
There are nearly 2000 posts here. I I just got a Roku Premiere+.

I need to find a post that answers a few basic questions.

1. Does Plex act like a DVR for all streams that Roku can deliver - CNN to HBOGO to all Hulu channels?
2. The "cloud" used by Plex can be Google?
3. Does it have play back functions found on DVRs like FF, RW, 15 sec. back, 30 sec skip?
4. An "exotic" feature like timed recordings?

I haven't cut the cord because vitually all our watching is off stuff pre-recorded. I often don't By the end of the game I'm usually caught up after FF thru commercials etc.start watching sports until an hour after it starts.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't believe that the Plex DVR allows anything to be watched until it has finished recording. There is a Plex channel for the Homerun tuners that has more live TV functionality, but I'm not sure whether the roku direct streams the channels or would need transcoding. I've used the Homerun channel for live TV and it worked okay direct streaming to my shield, but I couldn't get it to transcode. I didn't dig into it very far because I didn't like the presentation of channels compared to using Android TVs live channels, which is really much better for our usage
Old 02-22-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
I've had a Plex server set up for some time and I've started to play around with Plex Media Player. I have it installed on a laptop; HDMI into my Onkyo receiver which feeds my Panasonic Plasma. I'm playing full bitrate BD rips with HD audio. My problem appears to be HD audio passthrough. I've played titles with DST-HD, True-HD, True-HD/Atmos -- both as .m2ts and as MKV. In each case the status window on the Plex server says Direct Play so no transcoding, yet my receiver is telling me it is only getting 2.0 stereo. I've tried starting the receiver first then the laptop and the converse of laptop first and receiver, all to no avail.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated?

My long range plan was to replace my current WD Live-SMP's with NUC's running PMP, but this problem has thrown a wrench into that plan.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I have it installed on a laptop; HDMI into my Onkyo receiver which feeds my Panasonic Plasma. I'm playing full bitrate BD rips with HD audio. My problem appears to be HD audio passthrough. I've played titles with DST-HD, True-HD, True-HD/Atmos -- both as .m2ts and as MKV. In each case the status window on the Plex server says Direct Play so no transcoding, yet my receiver is telling me it is only getting 2.0 stereo.
More than likely it's related to the laptop's hardware/drivers. Verify the hardware can handle bitstreaming HD audio and if so you have the appropriate drivers installed. Presuming Windows you should see them listed under supported audio formats.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Philips BDP7501 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
Old 02-22-2017, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
More than likely it's related to the laptop's hardware/drivers. Verify the hardware can handle bitstreaming HD audio and if so you have the appropriate drivers installed. Presuming Windows you should see them listed under supported audio formats.
Thanks. I suspect you are correct in fingering the laptop as the problem.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 02-22-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got an email today that Plex DVR beta #5 isn't a separate release from Plex Media Server 1.4.2... It'll still be Beta, and still PlexPass only... But from here on out will just update with the standard updates...

Prolly a good sign, I would think.... For those keeping an eye on a viable WMC alternative...
Old Today, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Plex questions here - Noticed on the sheild the following is missing - In my TV Series the number of unwatched episodes shown in a label at the top-right corner of the poster is missing. It shows on my Rokus and if I go to web browser of Plex. I didn't change anything and it was showing originally but recently family members pointed out it was missing. What turns this option on/off?

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement