Plex Discussion Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes
post #1951 of 1963 Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
I'm sure there are benefits, otherwise I don't know why people would go through the hassle of creating them - but I don't know what they are.
Plex runs on a lot of different types of devices. Having Plex channels available is great if some of your devices aren't compatible with official apps.
I mostly use the Comedy Central and HDGrandSlam channels. The Comedy Central channel lets you stream full episodes without any commercials. The official Comedy Central app has commercials and you can't skip through them.
I use the HDGrandSlam channel to stream live TV remotely from my HDHomeRun tuners. The official HDHomeRun app requires your playback device to be on the same network as your tuners so you can't use it remotely. The HDGrandSlam channel also takes advantage of the Plex transcoder so streaming over the internet requires much less bandwidth.
Sweetmeat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1963 Old 04-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Plex runs on a lot of different types of devices. Having Plex channels available is great if some of your devices aren't compatible with official apps.
I mostly use the Comedy Central and HDGrandSlam channels. The Comedy Central channel lets you stream full episodes without any commercials. The official Comedy Central app has commercials and you can't skip through them.
I use the HDGrandSlam channel to stream live TV remotely from my HDHomeRun tuners. The official HDHomeRun app requires your playback device to be on the same network as your tuners so you can't use it remotely. The HDGrandSlam channel also takes advantage of the Plex transcoder so streaming over the internet requires much less bandwidth.
That has me very interested. I'll have to look for that app tonight. I have a HDHomeRun Extend connected to my Shield Pro (2017), but had no idea I could stream live TV using Plex.

Thanks!

PN59D8000 and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060
Front - CM9, Center - CMC2, Side Surrounds - DS3, Rear Surrounds - CM5, Front/Rear Atmos - CCM663, Subs - PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
post #1953 of 1963 Old 04-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
So I think I've found what you're using. Is it HDHR Viewer?

I'm a little confused on how that works. I followed the installation guide (http://hdhrviewer.zynine.net/hdhrvie...initial-setup/) but it didn't do what I was thinking it would do. For some reason I have (and now had) 2 servers set up; one on my MAC (which I didn't really want) and another on my Shield (which I did want). When I followed the setup guide, it added the HDHR viewer under my Mac's server, when I wanted it under my Shield's server. Because it added it to the Mac server when I didn't want it there, and I didn't really even want the Mac server at all, I removed the Mac server, then tried to do the setup again and was hoping this time it would add the HDHR Viewer to the Shield's server - but it still didn't.

Maybe I need the Mac server, and maybe the HDHR Viewer is supposed to only be listed as a channel on that server, but when it was setup that way I couldn't access my local channels. It kept saying there was some kind of problem.

PN59D8000 and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060
Front - CM9, Center - CMC2, Side Surrounds - DS3, Rear Surrounds - CM5, Front/Rear Atmos - CCM663, Subs - PB12+ and PB13 Ultra

post #1954 of 1963 Old 04-05-2017, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
Quote:
So I think I've found what you're using. Is it HDHR Viewer?
No. It's HDGrandSlam.
See: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/22...tuners-dvrs/p1
post #1955 of 1963 Old 04-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Hello all.

I am completely new to this thread, and Plex in general, so please excuse my ignorance.

I just learned about Plex about a week or two ago, and just yesterday I started setting things up on my (also new) Shield Pro (2017).

I see that there's a way to add "channels" to Plex, which to me is really the same thing as just adding the app to my Shield - either through the Play Store or by sideloading it.

So what is the benefit to also being able to add a channel to Plex?

Also, within the browser interface where channels are added, I only see maybe (I haven't counted all of them) around 30, which seems awfully low to me considering the number of apps available in the Play Store. I also got a Plex Pass, and one of the benefits of that, I believe, was to have access to more channels. Does around 30 channels sound correct with a Plex Pass?

I'm sure there are benefits, otherwise I don't know why people would go through the hassle of creating them - but I don't know what they are.
Here is a great resource for more about channels in plex: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/cat...09616-Channels

You can also install channels from other sources that don't provide access specifically to media. This one is really handy that lets you export details about the media that you have on your server: https://github.com/ukdtom/ExportTools.bundle/wiki
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #1956 of 1963 Old 05-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Control of an AV Receiver via Plex Companion?
After years of having sub optimal solutions in my HT, I happened upon Plex and iRule. I now have an almost perfect setup except for one thing.
Background: I use iRule on an Android tablet and have a solution that with a single press of a button will turn on the TV, turn on a receiver, switch inputs, turn on a PC and run Plex (either PlexMediaPlayer or OpenPHT), and then launch the Plex android App in Plex Companion mode.
All of this is great except for one thing: Controlling the volume. The Plex Companion control will adjust the volume but it is just controlling the Windows mixer and not the receiver. So basically if the volume is not loud enough you have to switch apps or use another remote to adjust the volume of the receiver. You can then lower it if you want with Plex Companion but this does it at the mixer level not the actual receiver.
Has anyone solved this? I thought that the Pulse eight CEC adapter might fix this but there is no change.
Suggestions?
Thanks, Tom
post #1957 of 1963 Old 05-10-2017, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb18 View Post
Control of an AV Receiver via Plex Companion?
After years of having sub optimal solutions in my HT, I happened upon Plex and iRule. I now have an almost perfect setup except for one thing.
Background: I use iRule on an Android tablet and have a solution that with a single press of a button will turn on the TV, turn on a receiver, switch inputs, turn on a PC and run Plex (either PlexMediaPlayer or OpenPHT), and then launch the Plex android App in Plex Companion mode.
All of this is great except for one thing: Controlling the volume. The Plex Companion control will adjust the volume but it is just controlling the Windows mixer and not the receiver. So basically if the volume is not loud enough you have to switch apps or use another remote to adjust the volume of the receiver. You can then lower it if you want with Plex Companion but this does it at the mixer level not the actual receiver.
Has anyone solved this? I thought that the Pulse eight CEC adapter might fix this but there is no change.
Suggestions?
Thanks, Tom
Well I actually solved this!
What i have done is prior to running the Plex Companion, I can issue an IP command to set my receiver to a fixed volume level. So I set it quite a bit higher for Plex and then with the Android volume control can adjust it just fine. Switching to other devices just requires setting the appropriate starting volume on each one.
Finally, after many years I have the perfect HT for myself.
post #1958 of 1963 Old 05-12-2017, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I'm not sure in which component the problem lies, but starting a couple of weeks ago (after no changes I made intentionally) I can no longer resume shows from bookmark when casting to my Chromecast Ultra.

My habit is usually to cast first, then pick my show and hit play. This has always resumed a show-in-progress from the point when it left off. Now the show always starts from the beginning.

I even tried starting playback on my iphone (which resumed properly) and then hitting cast while it played. It asked me if I wanted to continue playback on the CCU, I said "yes", and it proceeded to start the file over from the beginning.

I've done a bunch of googling and I've found some "me toos" from years ago, some symptoms where the phone's plex app wouldn't resume, but not my specific circumstance. Resuming works fine on plex web, Vizio TV app, iOS app, android app. Everything's been rebooted at least once.

Phone: iPhone 6 w/ iOS 10.3.1
Plex app: 4.11
PMS: 1.5.5.3634 on RPI3

CCU -
System firmware 84839
Cast firmware 1.23.84839
Country code CA

Any pointers?
post #1959 of 1963 Old 05-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have an unusual (new to me) problem. When I try to stream music on Plex through my ROKU 3s it plays the file for 1 sec and moves on to the next. I tried deleting and reloading the Plex app on one of the ROKU, rebooted the ROKU, signed out and re linked the ROKU to Plex. Recorded TV and photos are fine. The only difference is, TV and photo are on the desktop with the Plex server and music are on my NAS.

If I play music through Plex in Firefox on the desktop or on my Galaxy S7 everything is perfect. Only happening on the ROKUs.
post #1960 of 1963 Unread 05-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Been awhile since posting but, since things have changed I decided to revamp my setup. I have read about Plex for the longest time and have resisted the urge forever, but after having numerous issues with Emby and its constantly taking forever to play a video on my home wired network, I decided to look into new avenues and finally give Plex a try.

I have a Roku Premeire Plus and the streaming stick in which I installed the Plex app to, and have to say so far its impressive in just playing without looking at the annoying circle that Emby keeps greeting me with. However, I was wondering, does anyone strictly use their Rokus to watch Plex on? I still have my small bedroom HTPC and thought on trying perhaps Kodi with the Plex addon for a different front end experience, which from what I read is a Plex Pass feature, so I am considering an annual subscription to test and try it out.

In my small theater room I still plan to use JRiver since it handles the audio and video needs pretty well with madVR, and use Plex for remote streaming as well as home streaming so that I can eliminate the extra HTPC boxes around the house.

One question I did have, is that can you input the UNC path for Plex to find the media or does it have to be a local based drive? Since all my media is on the unRAID server, I have to map the share in order for Plex to pick up the files.

I'm looking to test Plex more, and possibly just keeping JRiver for my mancave theater room, and use Plex for everything else outside the theater room, including remote streaming. However I am also testing Kodi with the Plex add-on with my laptop to see how it works, but with Kodi, there's no option (that I know of) to shuffle tv episodes, unless the Plex add-on has that support.
post #1961 of 1963 Unread Yesterday, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yes, you can use the UNC path for media in Plex just fine.

Media Computer Specs
ASUS H87M-E LGA 1150....Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell....Intel Network Adapter....8GB DDR3 SDRAM....Windows 7 x64.....Plex....Drobo 5N....Drobo Gen2
post #1962 of 1963 Unread Today, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
@AVTechMan , if you have an UNRAID server, they offer a Docker for Plex. Works really well.
post #1963 of 1963 Unread Today, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianley View Post
@AVTechMan , if you have an UNRAID server, they offer a Docker for Plex. Works really well.
Yes I do have an unRAID server I will look into it, though its running on slightly older hardware. Thanks for the tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers