Plex Discussion Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #1981 of 2007 Old 06-02-2017, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbaggins View Post
... there is no Plex app for WMC (other than a third party buggy one that kind of opens the Plex webpage).
If you can find Plex Home Theater version 1.4.1 it does work with WMC. It may be hard to find since they stopped development on it a couple years ago, but it works well and (to me anyways) has a better picture than Plex Media Player.

Media Computer Specs
ASUS H87M-E LGA 1150....Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell....Intel Network Adapter....8GB DDR3 SDRAM....Windows 7 x64.....Plex....Drobo 5N....Drobo Gen2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2007 Old 06-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here ya go.

http://filehippo.com/download_plex_home_theater/

Last edited by Craigslue; 06-02-2017 at 09:04 PM.
post #1983 of 2007 Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
You might try changing the HDHR's power supply. I had two devices (for a long time) and occasionally on one the moment the second tuner kicked in it would reboot and I would lose both recordings. Since it only happened when I was recording four shows concurrently I keep trying to blame various other aspects... the moment I swapped the power supply I was good to go.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about getting a replacement power supply?

I found a post online from nickk with specs:
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...ic.php?t=19203

Did you buy a generic power supply that met certain specs, or did you find Silicon Dust OEM parts?

post #1984 of 2007 Old 06-04-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Did you buy a generic power supply that met certain specs, or did you find Silicon Dust OEM parts?
Since I had two of them I swapped power supplies and the rebooting followed the power supply so I knew it was the cause. I looked at its specs (listed on the power adapter) and found a replacement in my "spare parts closest" which worked like a champ.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 06-05-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #1985 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any issues with my plans for Plex?

I just ordered most of these parts for my new build: http://techbuyersguru.com/650-home-theater-pc-build

I'm coming from an older Win 7 machine and am upgrading to Windows 10 (despite the other thread I started where I was attempting to continue to use WMC in Windows 7). I figured dealing with Win 7 driver issues/conflicts with updates breaking stuff, apparently Kaby Lake error messages with future updates on Windows 7, etc that it was time to start new. I spent most of the weekend playing with Plex Live TV and DVR via Plex Media Server installed on my wife's laptop with Windows 10 and the Plex Media Player on the same laptop as well as within the app on my xbox 360s. After trial and error and spending hours reading, here is my conclusion and what i'm planning on doing:

1) Build this PC and install Windows 10 with Plex Media server to run 24/7
2) Continue to use my HDHomeRun Prime with premium cable. I may cut in the future but the wife is insistant we have Nick Jr. and the Disney Channel for the kids.
3) Use Roku Ultras on my main television (where the HTPC is located) and my other two televisions. This is because Plex Live TV does not play live television on my existing xbox 360s. It will only play what you recorded. Same thing with the Plex Media Player installed on Windows 10. According to Plex website, it will work with live television on iOS (which i validated using my Ipad this weekend) and Android (hence using Roku Ultra). I would have loved to just keep my xbox 360s but gotta have live television.
4)Consolidate my two 2TB drives from the older PC onto this 5TB external drive (https://www.costco.com/Seagate-Backu...100301427.html) I would have most of my .mkv movies and the recorded Plex tv on this drive.
5) Using Roku Ultra gives me incentive to finally upgrade my televisions to 4K / HDR during this holiday season if all the above works.

I have given this a ton of thought--basically all weekend of reading and playing around. I would appreciate any feedback for this "whole house" Plex solution.
post #1986 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
I just ordered most of these parts for my new build: http://techbuyersguru.com/650-home-theater-pc-build

I'm coming from an older Win 7 machine and am upgrading to Windows 10 (despite the other thread I started where I was attempting to continue to use WMC in Windows 7). I figured dealing with Win 7 driver issues/conflicts with updates breaking stuff, apparently Kaby Lake error messages with future updates on Windows 7, etc that it was time to start new. I spent most of the weekend playing with Plex Live TV and DVR via Plex Media Server installed on my wife's laptop with Windows 10 and the Plex Media Player on the same laptop as well as within the app on my xbox 360s. After trial and error and spending hours reading, here is my conclusion and what i'm planning on doing:

1) Build this PC and install Windows 10 with Plex Media server to run 24/7
2) Continue to use my HDHomeRun Prime with premium cable. I may cut in the future but the wife is insistant we have Nick Jr. and the Disney Channel for the kids.
3) Use Roku Ultras on my main television (where the HTPC is located) and my other two televisions. This is because Plex Live TV does not play live television on my existing xbox 360s. It will only play what you recorded. Same thing with the Plex Media Player installed on Windows 10. According to Plex website, it will work with live television on iOS (which i validated using my Ipad this weekend) and Android (hence using Roku Ultra). I would have loved to just keep my xbox 360s but gotta have live television.
4)Consolidate my two 2TB drives from the older PC onto this 5TB external drive (https://www.costco.com/Seagate-Backu...100301427.html) I would have most of my .mkv movies and the recorded Plex tv on this drive.
5) Using Roku Ultra gives me incentive to finally upgrade my televisions to 4K / HDR during this holiday season if all the above works.

I have given this a ton of thought--basically all weekend of reading and playing around. I would appreciate any feedback for this "whole house" Plex solution.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that Roku was Android. The Plex Live TV feature is for Android TV (Nvidia Shield) and not even on Android yet.

The Roku also can't pass through HD audio if that matters.

The Shield could also double as a Plex Server which would eliminate buying the new PC.

post #1987 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
I'm not sure where you got the idea that Roku was Android. The Plex Live TV feature is for Android TV (Nvidia Shield) and not even on Android yet.

The Roku also can't pass through HD audio if that matters.

The Shield could also double as a Plex Server which would eliminate buying the new PC.
Okay, I may have that wrong then if I can't use the Roku Ultra to act as the Plex Media Player and watch live television. Any idea if/when the Plex Live TV will be coming to Roku? I will have to research the Nvidia Sheild more. I really like the idea of having a HTPC so I can pull my iphone pictures/movies onto a folder, rip my blu rays to .mkv, and use this all through Plex.

Thanks for the quick response. Sounds like the Roku Ultra won't work for Plex Live TV.
post #1988 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, I may have that wrong then if I can't use the Roku Ultra to act as the Plex Media Player and watch live television. Any idea if/when the Plex Live TV will be coming to Roku? I will have to research the Nvidia Sheild more. I really like the idea of having a HTPC so I can pull my iphone pictures/movies onto a folder, rip my blu rays to .mkv, and use this all through Plex.

Thanks for the quick response. Sounds like the Roku Ultra won't work for Plex Live TV.
As of today it only works on Android TV and iOS.

Nothing you stated requires a HTPC. It could be done on pretty much any network connected computer.

post #1989 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
As of today it only works on Android TV and iOS.

Nothing you stated requires a HTPC. It could be done on pretty much any network connected computer.
Is Nvidia Shield the only Android TV option for Plex Live TV? I guess I could buy one of those but don't exactly want to buy three for all of my televisions just for watching live television. I could also wait for Plex Live TV to come to other cheaper options like Roku.

Yeah, this would be my only networked computer so it's more of the HUB for doing HTPC media across my house, burning dvds/blu rays we buy so we can go disk-less, and downloading our iphone pics/movies when they get full. The last one did awesome for seven years so I figure the $500 is worth another few years.
post #1990 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is Nvidia Shield the only Android TV option for Plex Live TV? I guess I could buy one of those but don't exactly want to buy three for all of my televisions just for watching live television. I could also wait for Plex Live TV to come to other cheaper options like Roku.

Yeah, this would be my only networked computer so it's more of the HUB for doing HTPC media across my house, burning dvds/blu rays we buy so we can go disk-less, and downloading our iphone pics/movies when they get full. The last one did awesome for seven years so I figure the $500 is worth another few years.
There is the discontinued Nexus Player and I think Android TV is built into some Sony TVs.

It sounds like you are building a media server instead of a HTPC.

post #1991 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
There is the discontinued Nexus Player and I think Android TV is built into some Sony TVs.

It sounds like you are building a media server instead of a HTPC.
You are actually right. Okay, the Nvidia Shield has me intrigued. I just ordered one. I am actually going to try that + my external 5 TB hard drive I bought so see if that can just take the place of my HTPC. I have 30 days to return all the components to Amazon so I'm going to try that first with Plex and my HDHome Run Prime. If not, i'll just build the mediaserver/HTPC and move the shield to a bedroom for one of the players.

Thanks for the advice. I should have came here first
post #1992 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are actually right. Okay, the Nvidia Shield has me intrigued. I just ordered one. I am actually going to try that + my external 5 TB hard drive I bought so see if that can just take the place of my HTPC. I have 30 days to return all the components to Amazon so I'm going to try that first with Plex and my HDHome Run Prime. If not, i'll just build the mediaserver/HTPC and move the shield to a bedroom for one of the players.

Thanks for the advice. I should have came here first
On the Shield the Android Live TV app works much better than the Plex version. You'll get to test both.

post #1993 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On the Shield the Android Live TV app works much better than the Plex version. You'll get to test both.
I prefer Silicon Dust's HDHomeRun (Grey; Beta) app over the Android Live TV app, personally, but that seems to be a minority opinion around here.

I'm gonna try to mess around with the new Live TV feature within Plex this week.
post #1994 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I prefer Silicon Dust's HDHomeRun (Grey; Beta) app over the Android Live TV app, personally, but that seems to be a minority opinion around here.

I'm gonna try to mess around with the new Live TV feature within Plex this week.
I'll try the Grey app. However, I'm not part of the paid beta if that matters.

The Plex version isn't very good right now.

post #1995 of 2007 Old 06-05-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll try the Grey app. However, I'm not part of the paid beta if that matters.

The Plex version isn't very good right now.
Changing channels real fast (up-down) on the live app often causes me some sort of error/failure that can't be recovered from without closing the app and reopening it. I don't experience that sort of error issue with the HDHR app.

I don't know if you can use the Grey app without paying for access.
post #1996 of 2007 Old 06-06-2017, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Grey is still free to view, just no recording

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #1997 of 2007 Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Changing channels real fast (up-down) on the live app often causes me some sort of error/failure that can't be recovered from without closing the app and reopening it. I don't experience that sort of error issue with the HDHR app.

I don't know if you can use the Grey app without paying for access.
I was having this experience while changing channels with the Android Live TV app. That is no longer the case. It also improved with Pluto TV feeds through the Live TV app.
post #1998 of 2007 Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
I got a pleasant surprise last night. After I installed the latest Plex server update I saw an orange notice banner across the top of the web UI. Plex found my Hauppauge 2250 PCIe tuner card and asked if I wanted to set it up for use with Plex DVR. I bought that card back in 2010. I didn't think they would bother supporting hardware that old.
AzDragonLord likes this.
post #1999 of 2007 Old 07-03-2017, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm reworking my home theater and was looking at mounts to put the Roku behind the TV. I came across a power cord for the Roku that plugs into the TV's USB port. Would there be any problem with the Roku losing power every time the TV turns off?
post #2000 of 2007 Old 07-03-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post
Would there be any problem with the Roku losing power every time the TV turns off?
I don't know which model you have but my old Roku 2 XS takes forever to start up when I first plug it in. Rokus needs to be powered and idle to get updates so that might be a problem as well. Maybe something like this power cord with an outlet would be better?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQ9F2XS/
post #2001 of 2007 Old 07-03-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I don't know which model you have but my old Roku 2 XS takes forever to start up when I first plug it in. Rokus needs to be powered and idle to get updates so that might be a problem as well. Maybe something like this power cord with an outlet would be better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSMQXA-w6As

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQ9F2XS/

I just realized I put this in the wrong thread. My apologies. If there's a mod following along, please move this conversation to the Roku
thread.

That item you linked to on Amazon has been in my cart for a few days. It's my Plan A. Unfortunately, it appears that I don't have access to the power cord on my TV. The wall mount completely blocks it. I'm still trying to figure out a way to access it without completely removing the TV from the mount.
post #2002 of 2007 Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 View Post
I just realized I put this in the wrong thread. My apologies. If there's a mod following along, please move this conversation to the Roku thread.
I use my Roku to watch Plex so it's not that far off topic.
post #2003 of 2007 Old 08-15-2017, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

So I have taken the plunge to upgrade my AV system,

Synology NAS with 30 TB of music/ TV / Movies
Nvidia Shield 2017 16GB with 256 GB usb3 addition storage the NAS is connected as a network drive
Onkyo NR608 - Upgrading to a Denon AVR X4300 which is in the post
Klipsch Reference 7.1 speakers
Sony 65X900E

my Networked PC is a core I7 with 32GB of memory and GTX1080

So I have installed
Plex severs on my NAS, Shield (-but i have ran out of memory) and my PC, all equipment is connected via LAN cable, my question is which server would be best for optimal playback and sound, and which should I use as he client PC, TV or Shield.

Many Thanks
post #2004 of 2007 Old 08-16-2017, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DeBasagoiti View Post
Hi all,

So I have taken the plunge to upgrade my AV system,

Nvidia Shield 2017 16GB with 256 GB usb3 addition storage the NAS is connected as a network drive
Onkyo NR608 - Upgrading to a Denon AVR X4300 which is in the post
Klipsch Reference 7.1 speakers
Sony 65X900E

my Networked PC is a core I7 with 32GB of memory and GTX1080

So I have installed
Plex severs on my NAS, Shield (-but i have ran out of memory) and my PC, all equipment is connected via LAN cable, my question is which server would be best for optimal playback and sound, and which should I use as he client PC, TV or Shield.

Many Thanks
You can't use the 16GB Shield as a server. The added storage isn't used for Plex to transcode or store metadata, it can only be used to store media.

So between your NAS and PC that's any easy choice.

post #2005 of 2007 Old 08-16-2017, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I started using the cloud server with Dropbox but have issues. When I drop a new file into the Dropbox folder the server doesn't automatically update. I could go back 24 hours later and it's still not available to view. I need to navigate through the menus online to reauthorize before any new files show up.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
post #2006 of 2007 Old 08-20-2017, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark DeBasagoiti View Post

So I have installed Plex server on my NAS,

... which server would be best for optimal playback and sound, and which should I use as he client PC, TV or Shield.

Many Thanks
I have a Synology NAS, a (fairly new) Apple-TV4, and my old-friend the dual-core Windows-10 Kodi box.

Synology DS412+ (Desktop form-factor, 4 bays, 2012 model, plus = fairly powerful cpu for a NAS)
CPU: Intel Atom D2700 at 2.13 GHz (Dual core)
Total Physical Memory: 1024 MB (1gb)

I run Plex server on the Synology NAS
I run the Plex client on the Apple-TV4

It works nice and I seem to be waking-up the Kodi box less-and-less these days. Maybe for a high-bitrate HD 1080p DD5.1/DTS movie or some Windows gaming. Actually, most Living Room gaming is on Apple-TV4 these days.

I will need to do more testing to see if present Plex setup will handle all formats/containers of previously mentioned formatted movies without buffering (some do and some don't). All the lower/smaller rips are no problem. Maybe it's a setting? Everything is wired ethernet on a gigabit-switch backbone. I should get back to testing, but it's easier to just wake-up Kodi box.

In your case, I think I would try running the Plex Server on the Synology (if it has a nice CPU) and then the Plex client on the Nvidia Shield or the PC ... whichever one works best (and works with remote, amp, etc.)

Living Room Home-Theater (Multi-Use Room):
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI) ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum/TWC)
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,DMA,Vudu) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server / Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center & 60,40 Pairs / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub

Last edited by Tesla1856; 08-20-2017 at 10:13 PM.
post #2007 of 2007 Old 08-24-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Free 3 month Plex Pass trial.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page