Plex Discussion Thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #2011 of 2023 Old 09-27-2017, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I run a Kodi Odroid setup in my theater for the main stuff, pulling from a Synology NAS. However, since my PC has enough horsepower to run a few streams (which is all I need), I installed the Plex server on it, pointed to the same NAS. All the other TVs in the house have some manner of TiVo attached which has a Plex app. The lets me have access to the same library anywhere, while using Kodi for the main theater.

Between the two, I definitely prefer the Kodi interface, but Plex is certainly usable, and adding the ability to stream to other devices (pissed that they require the paid service for iPad) is nice. Now it's just a matter of ripping 700 movies and a few dozen TV series...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2023 Old 09-29-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 649
OK... I have dug around including Plex's site and haven't been able to nail down a few details. I'm running an ODROID-XU4 with Plex Media Server and for a while Plex has been showing the Live TV / DVR option. I understand the guide interface and such doesn't have your traditional look and feel which I'm fine with. However I do need a few basic DVR features. First off I know you need a Plex Pass to use the app but does it also require a guide data subscription? Say I purchase a Lifetime Plex Pass is guide data included for my lifetime...

As far as usage I need the ability to schedule series (new only, etc) and have up to four concurrent recordings (using HDHomeRuns) and the ability to view the recordings while they are still being recorded. A great deal of my viewing is commercial delayed... starting 20 or so minutes after the show has started. I presume it has fast forward, rewind and other trick play features.

Not sure my ODROID-XU4 can handle the workload but I'll look around and see if others have had success. I don't mind picking up a monthly pass and the tuners to test things out if I think there is a chance it will work out.
post #2013 of 2023 Old 09-30-2017, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 23
No guide data subscription is required, it is included.

From my understanding you cannot view a recording still in progress. This may change down-the-road as the DVR software is still in BETA. I don't know how well fast-forward or rewind works as I've never used them.

Just a reminder...Plex DVR cannot record or play any DRM-encoded content.

Last edited by AzDragonLord; 09-30-2017 at 05:03 AM.

post #2014 of 2023 Old 10-12-2017, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nexus Player and Plex

Hi AVS Forum members I would like to rip my DVD and Blu Ray collection for playback with my Nexus Player in Theatre Room using Plex. What I have now is a PC with a DVD drive only.Need some help with the following.
-External Blu Ray drive
-Ripping software
-NAS
-50 DVD's 150 Blu Ray's
-Will the Nexus Player play back the rips in full HD audio if not what do you recommend
post #2015 of 2023 Old 10-12-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Use MakeMKV to rip directly to MKV format at full quality.

I can't remember the details of the Nexus Player on HD audio since it has been discontinued. The Shield is similar and does support HD audio (and up to 4K with HDR).

post #2016 of 2023 Old 10-12-2017, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I'm also not sure if the Nexus Player support VC-1 and MPEG2 decoding, which mean you will have issues direct playing some blu-rays. The Shield TV supports all blu-ray & DVD audio/video/subtitle formats in a MKV container, so I strongly recommend picking up a Shield TV if your goal is to play your blu-ray/DVD rips without having to re-encode everything (which is time consuming and will degrade video quality). I also recommend using MakeMKV.

The main title of a blu-ray is roughly 20-30 gb. That means that 1 terabyte will store roughly 30-40 blu-rays. You might want to look into the handful of NAS devices that support hardware transcoding via Plex, although I think they typically only support h.264 transcoding.

Last edited by lockdown571; 10-12-2017 at 05:18 PM.
post #2017 of 2023 Old 10-13-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 539
I have two Nexus players, but neither are hooked to a receiver so I don't know if they will play lossless audio. The main thing about the Nexus is it is wifi only, and I have found that even on a very good wifi connection, high bit rate movies will skip/stutter if you don't tell the Plex server to transcode them at least a little. So, that means that even if it could play lossless audio, it's probably out of the question on wifi. And, trying over half a dozen wired USB ethernet adapters, all resulted in very poor performance, much worse than over wifi. For the record, I'm running Ubiquiti AC Pro access points (dual band), so I have just about as good as it gets when it comes to wifi (Ubiquiti is/has releasing/released one that handles more users).
post #2018 of 2023 Old 10-15-2017, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking at new Plex client & remote

I'm leaning toward Shield as new living room Plex client / streamer / game box. New Logitech Harmony remote system will be needed at same time. Moving current Roku 2 into Master bedroom with current Harmony 650 remote.

Also been thinking about new NAS for media (and possibly Plex server).

Anyone have thoughts on ups / downs of Shield or Harmony remotes and planning for new NAS?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions / criticisms / thoughts / etc.

Current system(s)

Plex server:
Win7 Pro
Plex server with Plex Pass
12GB internal storage array
Dual Gb NIC's

Living Room:
Yamaha RX-V481 receiver
Roku 2
Local co-op fiber IPTV DVR
Win7 Pro computer (not used much)
Wii (not used much)
* Above devices all on wired Gb LAN
Panasonic TC-P50X1 plasma 50"
Logitech Harmony 650

Master Bedroom:
TV
Local co-op fiber IPTV STB

Bedroom 1:
Roku TV (wifi only)
Computer

Bedroom 2:
TV
Local co-op fiber IPTV STB

5 phones, 4 or 5 tablets
post #2019 of 2023 Old 10-15-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 645
The 16GB 2017 Shield does not have an IR receiver. You can add a FLIRC for about $14.

post #2020 of 2023 Old 10-15-2017, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post
The 16GB 2017 Shield does not have an IR receiver. You can add a FLIRC for about $14.
Would Harmony Elite control this newer Shield?

I was looking at this Shield vs. the Pro model (which still has IR) for $100 more, but thought the extra $$ would be better spent on the Elite remote.
post #2021 of 2023 Old 10-16-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintE View Post

I was looking at this Shield vs. the Pro model (which still has IR) for $100 more, but thought the extra $$ would be better spent on the Elite remote.
https://support.myharmony.com/en-hu/...-nvidia-shield
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...for-shield-tv/

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #2022 of 2023 Old 10-19-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintE View Post

My Harmony Elite controls my Shield 'basic' 16 gb model. However it has to be the remote, the 'phone app' won't do it.
post #2023 of 2023 Old 10-19-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1723 Post(s)
Liked: 539
If you have a hub based Harmony, you can control it through Bluetooth, no IR needed. It works better than IR, too.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-pl/...-nvidia-shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page