Plex Discussion Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 830 Old 09-15-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What would be considered as a minimum requirement to transcode and stream multiple movies from PMS simultaneously (2 streams at a time max) ? I'm putting a media server together (WHS2011 + FlexRaid) and PMS will be installed on it. I have bought Intel Core i3-3225 for it but contemplating the idea of going with a lower end CPU and using this i3 for my other computer.

[color=Blue]
psn id: hunter4life
Live Gamertag: huntre4life (notice "re" not "er" in hunter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 830 Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 AM

Liked: 11
I'll need to transcode my DVDs I guess. I don't think Plex can read .vob files. I need to get all of my files into a format that can be read by SageTV, Media Browser/7MC and my PS3. That will be a task in itself.
post #183 of 830 Old 09-16-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

I had to post an update on my journey with Plex.
Have to say I've gone from dissapointed with the Plex Media Server to very impressed with
the Plex App for Android.
I downloaded the Plex App to my Toshiba Thrive Tablet and it works really well for streaming my
library, with a couple small issues. So far I've only used it around the house but movies and
tvshows stream well.
Havent tried it away from the house but will soon. No 3g on the thrive but I will try a wi-fi away
from my home network and see how that works.
(anything I need to configure before giving that a shot?)
My one issue so far is trying to view my picture library....I can see thumbnails fine but when I
click a picture to see it full screen it doesnt show up....or maybe its taking so long I dont
give it a chance? Guess I'll go look through the Plex forums....
All in all...well worth 4.99 for the android app.

There's hardly any configuration necessary to access your content over remote wifi or 3g. Just make sure your Plex Media Server is published to your myplex account, and then put your myplex credentials into the android app. Unfortunately I can't help you with the photo issue, as I've never used photos with Plex. You might want to try the Plex forums.
post #184 of 830 Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post

What would be considered as a minimum requirement to transcode and stream multiple movies from PMS simultaneously (2 streams at a time max) ? I'm putting a media server together (WHS2011 + FlexRaid) and PMS will be installed on it. I have bought Intel Core i3-3225 for it but contemplating the idea of going with a lower end CPU and using this i3 for my other computer.

Transcoding is really really CPU intensive. I would use something beastly, especially if you might be transcoding multiple files at once. I core i3 would work well.

It probably also depends on the quality of the files you're transcoding. I'm not sure if you're going to find a straight answer, as I don't think anyone's published extensive data about Plex Media Server performance on different CPUs. I wish I could be of more help, but I just think the more power the better.
post #185 of 830 Old 09-16-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Maybe I am accessing channels incorrectly. After I install channel and click the link again it keeps asking me if I want to uninstall or restart. What am I doing wrong?
post #186 of 830 Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
You may be accessing in the wrong area. Once installed, you will section for video channel in the area you select movies, tv shows, and so forth. it's in the first area for browsing.

Make sure you have flash player and silver light installed on the pc running the pms
post #187 of 830 Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

You may be accessing in the wrong area. Once installed, you will section for video channel in the area you select movies, tv shows, and so forth. it's in the first area for browsing.
Make sure you have flash player and silver light installed on the pc running the pms

Dont I feel like a bonehead. I did not have "show channels" selected in the preference area. So after installed, they did not display. I have since corrected. I can access several channels, however Netflix is not working.

I am also not able to play any movies on my iPhone using Plex. I can play and access all movies fine on my home computer. When I click a movie on the iPhone I get a message that says loading, then nothing. I have the quality set to 4mbps on my home wifi. The movies in question are MKV Bluray rips. Any help?
post #188 of 830 Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

There's hardly any configuration necessary to access your content over remote wifi or 3g. Just make sure your Plex Media Server is published to your myplex account, and then put your myplex credentials into the android app. Unfortunately I can't help you with the photo issue, as I've never used photos with Plex. You might want to try the Plex forums.

Believe it or not thats all it took!
Clicked on the Plex app, signed in and my library showed up perfectly. (Thanks!)

Very very impressed!

As for the photos issue, looks like its an ongoing problem on the plex boards.
I'm sure it will be rectified in the future.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #189 of 830 Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

Dont I feel like a bonehead. I did not have "show channels" selected in the preference area. So after installed, they did not display. I have since corrected. I can access several channels, however Netflix is not working.
I am also not able to play any movies on my iPhone using Plex. I can play and access all movies fine on my home computer. When I click a movie on the iPhone I get a message that says loading, then nothing. I have the quality set to 4mbps on my home wifi. The movies in question are MKV Bluray rips. Any help?

I believe Netflix got borked with the 9.5 PMS update. It's being worked on as far as I know. I personally don't keep up on a lot of the plug-ins because I just don't use them. I don't like Netlix on the HTPC compared the other set top box such as Roku, Xbox, or PS3. And it works well with on the mobile apps. On a side note, I could never get it to work in Plex or XBMC.

As for your movie problem, are speaking about Netflix or your own movies? I'm not familiar with the iOS app. I only have Android devices. In Android, the app can be a bit finicky about the settings. Try using everything a default in the iOS app. See if it plays. If it does, then change one setting you would like, check to see if it plays. Repeat till it's where you like it. If it doesn't play with the default settings, same procedure. Also, look at what the logs on PMS machine is saying. If it's not working, I would try turing on the less color/more speed option; I'm assuming iOS app has this. If there is hardware acceleraation or HLS trying that that on or off.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I just use Windows and Android. Just not familiar with the other platforms to get into specific trouble shooting. I would definitely check out the Plex Forums. They have specific subform on iOS.
post #190 of 830 Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I have this question/issue posted in the plex forum, but figured I may as well as here.

I have PMS setup on a WHS 2011 box. I have no issue streaming my files on my wired cat6 network to my workstation and playing files (MKV). I also do not have issue streaming files on my iPhone 4S using plex player when connected via 4G. However, I have been unsuccessful in getting movies to stream when connected to my local Wifi. I have tried to play files sitting three feet about from router with great network speeds, but still no joy. When I click a video it just says loading and no movie starts or I get a message saying video file is unsupported.

I have tried all this by testing the same file using different players and networks and get the same results. Not sure I have setting incorrectly set in Plex or something is wrong on my router. Any help is much appreciated.
post #191 of 830 Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 AM

Liked: 11
Check the settings in the Plex app on your phone. There are seperate settings for quality (bitrate) on local or remote. Maybe your local setting is set too high?
post #192 of 830 Old 09-20-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarland View Post

Check the settings in the Plex app on your phone. There are seperate settings for quality (bitrate) on local or remote. Maybe your local setting is set too high?

I had thought the same thing, but I have all settings set to 1.5mbps. It is weird because I can access on cellular, but not on my wifi which has a better signal.
post #193 of 830 Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

It may be a different setting besides quality. Try turning on and off HLS, less color/more speed, and so forth.

Did you check the PMS logs? I forget where they're located, but in Windows, it's usually in the localdata in users.

My other guess, thought I don't think it is, check your ports and make sure data isn't being blocked somehow.
post #194 of 830 Old 09-20-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It may be a different setting besides quality. Try turning on and off HLS, less color/more speed, and so forth.
Did you check the PMS logs? I forget where they're located, but in Windows, it's usually in the localdata in users.
My other guess, thought I don't think it is, check your ports and make sure data isn't being blocked somehow.

I am relatively new at Plex. What is this? "Try turning on and off HLS, less color/more speed, and so forth"
post #195 of 830 Old 09-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

They're settings in the mobile apps. HLS is in android. Don't know if it is in iOS. My understanding of it, it's some kind of hardware acceleration. The rest are pretty self explanatory. These settings are in a more general settings option, not the WiFi or 3G.

In Android, one setting can be all that's needed to fix playback issues. Yet, it can also prevent it working too. See if the default options work. If not, just change one at a time.

I've been using the Plex Android app shortly after launch. This is before MyPlex and when had to have a clue about networking. It's a lot easier these days. Plus, the player works much better.
post #196 of 830 Old 09-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HLS is a streaming protocol which began with IOS's need to improve the way stuff streams to Iphones, now it is used by Andriod and even ROKU. It essentially breaks up the stream into packets. If you turn off HLS, you are using a different protocal which may or may not be as resilient with lost packets. Its more important for internet streaming than for LAN streaming, but some devices may require it.
post #197 of 830 Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
It still doesn't do well for me on a commuter train. Every time I switch towers it hangs up. In a 60 minute train ride I can maybe watch 15 minutes of a TV episode.

post #198 of 830 Old 09-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

that's more a network issue than Plex. I think Plex Android has an autodetect video quality feature that may help, but you may end up with very low quality. Plus, a lot is going to depend on signal strength, bandwidth and so forth. There are a lot of variables outside Plex in your commute situation.
post #199 of 830 Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I completely understand that. This is when I'm on the move durning my commute which is a perfect time to catch up on a missed TV episode or even a movie. I'm exploring using MX Player for that with locally stored content. When I am in one place the 4g "locks in" and PLEX works really well even at 720fps.

post #200 of 830 Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Plex isn't quite there yet in streaming. Maybe when there is more 4G coverage.

If you're going tp play locally stored, you can also try MoboPlayer. It's plays a ton of formats, incluing MKVs.
post #201 of 830 Old 09-27-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

If you're going tp play locally stored, you can also try MoboPlayer. It's plays a ton of formats, incluing MKVs.

Hmm, I have rarely had a problem using MyPlex. As far as local playback it has been rock solid. The only comparable media environment would be XBMC or Boxee. Most of the rest don't provide you with a rich metadata experience.

Plex handles mkv files just fine though perhaps it's time for people to move away from a container that is viewed as being somewhat on the shady side. There are very few stores, if any, that sell content in mkv format. mp4/m4v seems to be more supported and you get away from the nonsense of having players which handle dozens of codes and containers.

Philip
post #202 of 830 Old 09-27-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Plex handles mkv files just fine though perhaps it's time for people to move away from a container that is viewed as being somewhat on the shady side.

Huh?
post #203 of 830 Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

Plex handles mkv files just fine though perhaps it's time for people to move away from a container that is viewed as being somewhat on the shady side. There are very few stores, if any, that sell content in mkv format. mp4/m4v seems to be more supported and you get away from the nonsense of having players which handle dozens of codes and containers.
Philip

FWIW, I don't know a lot about digital stores, but the ones I've looked at (Google/Apple/M$/Amazon) don't sell you unlocked movies. Even those digital copies you get with the disc are locked to the itunes/zune account you applied them to.

If you have your own copy available to stream through plex, it's either a home video, a rip of a disc you own, a rip of a disc you rented, or pirated

Changing to wmv or mp4 to look like it came from itunes or zune would only be legit if you cracked drm on those. All the content stores just want you to keep on purchasing their devices or download their playback apps to view your content
post #204 of 830 Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 PM

great thread. I run PMS on Ubuntu Linux. I even have the Plex Pass subscription, it's so worth it. I can now watch Plex on Linux biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif. handles everything i throw at it.

I have been using PMS for years now and it just gets better and better!

40tb
ubuntu server 12.04
shared with 12 others
75/35mbps fios internet
quad core amd @ 3.2ghz
4gb ram
post #205 of 830 Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:

you know that in the settings you can change it to match whatever you speed is, from 20mbps all the way down to 320kbps... you pick whichever works great on your connection on your phone.

on my Galaxy S3 on AT&T 4g I use 1mbps just because i am capped at 3gb/month.
post #206 of 830 Old 09-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

The MoboPlayer suggestion was for media stored on the device. Plex android app does not play any media stored on the mobile device. There's no link to it. Also, the MoboPlayer may be a good choice so he doesn't have a transcode the file to play on the device. I have no idea what format he saves his files in, but MKV is quite popular, but not many mobile media players support it, as of yet.

As someone who uses Plex at home and at work, I'm familiar with Plex. It's not that your can't set the speed settings, which actually goes all the way down to 49kbps, it's that if you get intermitten internet, which is likely what is happening to Sammy2 in his communte because either there is a lag in switching cell towers or the speed drops too much. Plex mobile client has been developed enough to handled reconnections or buffer enough or whatever is needed to maintain a stream. Netflix has done a good job of this that I have seen with streaming services.

I was just trying to give resasonable solutions to a problem within the restrictions given.
post #207 of 830 Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's some more information about the upcoming web player. It has come a long way since its first release, and it's extremely impressive what they've done with it. Unfortunately, the PC and Mac clients have been really neglected at this point. They're still based on XBMC 10.0, and 12.0 is just around the corner. It's clear that desktop clients are no longer a priority. IMO, they just give up on them entirely if they haven't already and develop tight Plex integration into XBMC. I know Hippojay was working on an update to his PleXBMC add-on, but that seems to have stagnated.
post #208 of 830 Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I'm interested in the new release as mine is slow and it gets bogged down with large libraries.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #209 of 830 Old 11-17-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

Hmm, I have rarely had a problem using MyPlex. As far as local playback it has been rock solid. The only comparable media environment would be XBMC or Boxee. Most of the rest don't provide you with a rich metadata experience.
Philip

View it however you want, it's the most time efficient container available and it has wide support.

FWIW, I only rip to MKV. There are three very specific reasons I use it:

1) Support of any audio/video format in the container.
2) Proper subtitle support.
3) Chapter support.

No remuxing after ripping what I want. I have over 700 purchased DVD's/Blurays. I'm a busy man with work and family, so I don't want to have to spend any more time than necessary when I rip new discs to our file server. With MakeMKV I spend at most 20 minutes per BR.

Looky here!
post #210 of 830 Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And the web player is out! Hopefully this means the Plex team can show the PC/Mac clients a little love now, although it's tough seeing myself returning to Windows after using OpenELEC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page