Can i build a 200 dollar htpc and do the following? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
By nightly built i actually meant the official builds provided by the OpenELEC developers.

http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-eden/

OpenELEC-Fusion.i386-devel-20120125153223-r9647.tar.bz2 is what i used, but there is a new build out today, dated for the 29th, 2012 is the year, 01 is the month, and 25 is the date, in case you`re wondering what the numbers mean.

Yes, they are beta builds, but Eden is preparing to be rolled out the door (already in Beta2) so OpenELEC will probably release the official stable build when Eden comes out.
GreenEyez is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 71 Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

By nightly built i actually meant the official builds provided by the OpenELEC developers.

http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-eden/

OpenELEC-Fusion.i386-devel-20120125153223-r9647.tar.bz2 is what i used, but there is a new build out today, dated for the 29th, 2012 is the year, 01 is the month, and 25 is the date, in case you`re wondering what the numbers mean.

Yes, they are beta builds, but Eden is preparing to be rolled out the door (already in Beta2) so OpenELEC will probably release the official stable build when Eden comes out.


It sounds like this with a zacate setup is the perfect cheap media extender. If you have another system running windows media center acting as a DVR and NAS, say your desktop, then you could totally get away with this. Oh well to late for me I already bought two copies of win7 and have a zacate system, a llano system, and my core i5 desktop. I could have saved buckets of money, although I would still have needed two zacate systems because I have two TV's.
jeffkro is offline  
post #63 of 71 Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Member
 
drealit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

$300 is probably more realistic- and would overall give better performance.

Your cutting major corners to hit $200.

I shop. I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

What corners exactly? If the people on xbmc say there E-350 can do 1080p easily, then i have accomplished my goal.

Ya I'm still wondering what performance is being lost by being limited to a $200 budget. I recently built a E-350 based build for my parents and so far I have not hit any major limitations:

$60 + 7% tax AR - Gigabyte E-350N-USB3 (Newegg)
$20 + 7% tax AR - 4GB Corsair 1333mhz DDR3 (Newegg)
$32.99 - Antec ISK-300 w/ 150W PSU (Amazon)
$35 + 7% tax AR - A-DATA 32GB SSD (Newegg)
$18 - Samsung SN-208BB Slim SATA Internal CD/DVD Burner (eBay)
------------
$165-175 after tax, rebates and cashback

This is an HTPC. It has a sole purpose of running a frontend (MediaPortal) and playing back media. I don't know what you guys are planning to do with your builds but unless you have a lot of 1080i content to deal, what I have here is perfectly fine. For the most part it is used mainly for 1080p playback from a NAS (unRaid).

Hell I could have even cut it down more if I wanted to. Ditch the SSD and go with a small HDD... slim drive isn't really necessary since they don't do discs anymore. Cheaper enclosure with PSU (corsair 430 for $15?).
drealit is offline  
post #64 of 71 Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drealit View Post

Ya I'm still wondering what performance is being lost by being limited to a $200 budget. I recently built a E-350 based build for my parents and so far I have not hit any major limitations:

$60 + 7% tax AR - Gigabyte E-350N-USB3 (Newegg)
$20 + 7% tax AR - 4GB Corsair 1333mhz DDR3 (Newegg)
$32.99 - Antec ISK-300 w/ 150W PSU (Amazon)
$35 + 7% tax AR - A-DATA 32GB SSD (Newegg)
$18 - Samsung SN-208BB Slim SATA Internal CD/DVD Burner (eBay)
------------
$165-175 after tax, rebates and cashback

This is an HTPC. It has a sole purpose of running a frontend (MediaPortal) and playing back media. I don't know what you guys are planning to do with your builds but unless you have a lot of 1080i content to deal, what I have here is perfectly fine.

Hell I could have even cut it down more if I wanted to. Ditch the SSD and go with a small HDD... slim drive isn't really necessary since they don't do discs anymore. Cheaper enclosure with PSU (corsair 430 for $15?).

Well when zacate came out it was supposed to be the answer. BUt there was thread after thread of it not handling this or that. Not sure if thats been fixed with drivers or what.
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #65 of 71 Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

Well when zacate came out it was supposed to be the answer. BUt there was thread after thread of it not handling this or that. Not sure if thats been fixed with drivers or what.

Its always been fine for some HTPC things DVR, DVD, blu-ray, the problem was mostly with streaming. I dont regret my zacate system, but realize it isn't/wasn't good at some things. Haven't heard much on the 1080p streaming status lately, I guess I could try it.

I think the problem was more with software optimization than drivers and the same optimization helps us out on other systems as well.

PS another reason zacate wasn't well received was that it cost to much when it came out. It was about the same price as SB pentium plus mobo, at $60 its a different story.
jeffkro is offline  
post #66 of 71 Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Its always been fine for some HTPC things DVR, DVD, blu-ray, the problem was mostly with streaming. I dont regret my zacate system, but realize it isn't/wasn't good at some things. Haven't heard much on the 1080p streaming status lately, I guess I could try it.

I think the problem was more with software optimization than drivers and the same optimization helps us out on other systems as well.

PS another reason zacate wasn't well received was that it cost to much when it came out. It was about the same price as SB pentium plus mobo, at $60 its a different story.

I agree it is cheap. If on a super tight budget it is nice. I don't really do any internet streaming. But I personally would rather build a system with a cpu that can handle any video should the need arise. Sitting down to watch something only to see the system choke on it sucks.
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #67 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Murilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hold on now, were back two steps again. I thought it was established it streams 1080p fine in xbmc? Only with java and linux yellowgto has trouble streaming.


I dont want to hi-jack my own thread but im actually looking at this now, all i really want is streaming up to 1080p in xbmc, it looks good, but no idea if anyone has more info on it. For 35 dollars it is not much of a set back.

Raspberry pi


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NR57...ayer_embedded#!
Murilo is offline  
post #68 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
They are talking about streaming outside of XBMC ie a web-browser.

I have no clue when the PI will come out, it`s still a work in progress.
GreenEyez is offline  
post #69 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Murilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oh ok, since I dont need that I will just ignore.

I did a bit of research and people are claiming the first batch will be shipped any day now.

I think my current advice to myself will be to read and learn and wait till end of march early april, and then see how well its doing, and if its even available, and if not I will go ahead with an E350 setup.
Murilo is offline  
post #70 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GreenEyez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
When XBMC Eden comes out with the final/non-beta build and OpenELEC releases their final build based upon Eden i`ll post again (bookmarked the thread) and let you know how it works out.
GreenEyez is offline  
post #71 of 71 Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dj4monie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Reseda, CA
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am going to bump this....

I am resisting spending money for a much larger and vastly more important project that I am working on. I expect the prices to continue to drop on the original E350/Zacate boards (via rebates). But I really want something I can experiment on without threatening the laptop (this thing) or the HTPC directly.

However, if and only IF I can find everything I need (Memory, Board, Case) for a C-Note or less I will jump on it.

If any deals comes up let me know!

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
dj4monie is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off