Can i build a 200 dollar htpc and do the following? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am primarly a dune user and use it for streaming hd media and blu-ray stored on my hard drive.

However i would like to add xmbc and build a htpc to stream web content (youtube, icefilms, veehd, ect..) I just want something that can stream 1080p or 720p content, i hope it can be done at this price point.

And secondly to bitstream flac and display folder.jpg art

Thats about all im asking.

I dont want to spend much because my goal is to build a larger server soon.

I was looking at just getting a zotac nd22, but i cant find them anywhere anymore.

Is there anyone who can tell me if this can be done at this price point, and possibly recommend me some products to look at, im very new to this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

I am primarly a dune user and use it for streaming hd media and blu-ray stored on my hard drive.

However i would like to add xmbc and build a htpc to stream web content (youtube, icefilms, veehd, ect..) I just want something that can stream 1080p or 720p content, i hope it can be done at this price point.

And secondly to bitstream flac and display folder.jpg art

Thats about all im asking.

I dont want to spend much because my goal is to build a larger server soon.

I was looking at just getting a zotac nd22, but i cant find them anywhere anymore.

Is there anyone who can tell me if this can be done at this price point, and possibly recommend me some products to look at, im very new to this.

Not for $200 unless you already have some hardware you can reuse. Do you have an Operating System? Are you reusing any of your HDs?
post #3 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I should also mention i dont need any storage if i can possibly just a ssd card, or usb drive to boot xbmc live or openlec.
post #4 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin View Post

Not for $200 unless you already have some hardware you can reuse. Do you have an Operating System? Are you reusing any of your HDs?

I was hoping since it was just to be used with xmbc i did not need one other then xmbc live or openelec.

I also dont know if i need any hard drives at least that i can think of, i have a 12 terabyte windows server im using, and dont plan on storing anything really other then xmbc plugins on the machine itself. Its used simply for web streaming, and music, and my music is stored on my pc as well.

I dont know how shares could be set up between xmbc live/openelec and my windows 7 pc/server.
post #5 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
$200?

Lolololol
post #6 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is that hard to imagine?

Just to stream web content? No dolby true hd, no dts master. Dune handles that.

I also have a server already, i am not storing anything on it.

All i want is stream web content and play music.

by the way that zotac i mentioned retailed for a little over 200 and users on xbmc forum use it.

You also may want to look here before you laugh anymore.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...972#post841972
post #7 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was actually looking at just getting apple tv 2 to do this, but another user said i need to build an htpc.
post #8 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I believe XBMC runs on the Apple TV, so that may be an option for you.
I would double check however if it also works on the ATV2. I know it works on the first version, dont know about the second.

There may also be other pre-built mini-HTPCs that can do what you want.

Building a full custom HTPC will probably at least get you to 350-400, even if you pick all the low-end parts.

I already paid over 200 just for PSU and the case i'm building with, but i'm never happy with "just good enough", so that may be different.
post #9 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply.

From what i read atv2 does work with xbmc, but some stuttering issues exist.

Just to summarize what I want this for.

1.480,720p, 1080p webcontent, from youtube, hulu ect... so no dts ma, no true hd, my dune is for that. That is about the only requirement.

2.Stream 2ch flac and show album art.

Thats it.

I have a server already, dont need storage, i have a blu-ray burner elsewhere, i have a dune prime for blu-ray and hd content stored on my server. Incase people are not familiar it plays blu-ray discs or streamed with menus and hd audio at 1080p.

I basically just need a bare bones htpc that can handle streaming web content and music.
post #10 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you have a hard drive laying around to use with it, and already have your own copy of windows or use free software like linux, then yeah, you could put together an ITX G620 machine for right at $200, nevermind stuff like atom or fusion. If you need to buy hard drive as well, then you arent putting together anything for $200 as a hard drive alone, even a small one, will take nearly half that budget or more.
post #11 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 05:35 AM

Liked: 10
I was in a similar boat a short time ago. I did a larger scale HTPC build for my main TV and I was looking around to see if I could build a small system for another room that could stream content from the main system, but I was having trouble getting in under $300, so $200 might be pushing it. I ended up bagging it and am patiently waiting to see the pricing for the Ceton Echo and/or a good deal on an XBox 360.

You have to figure just the mobo, processor, and RAM is going to run you at least $100 (probably more if you want decent integrated graphics and/or an discrete GPU), an SSD drive is $50 to $100, and a case and PSU could be $50-$100 unless you are flexible on the form factor and size. Since you are thinking of XBMC Live, you might be able to skip the SSD and boot from a flash drive to save some $$$, but you are still cutting it close at that price point.
post #12 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I built a system using an ASRock E350M1/USB3 mini-ITX motherboard, 4GB G.SKILL RAM, and an Apex MI-008 case for about $192 a few months ago. I already had a spare hard drive and an extra Win 7 license. The Apex case holds a standard optical drive so I added a DVD-R drive for about another $20. Note that some of these items were on sale from Newegg at the time so current prices may differ.
post #13 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You could use OpenELEC (much better than Live, IMHO) and boot/run from an USB Flash drive, so that saves you the money on the HDD. For the rest of the hardware, the cheapest Atom/ION combo should work, since DTS-HD or TrueHD isn`t a requirement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
post #14 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I built my htpc for less than $200-but then I already had a Quad 2 Duo E6750 cpu and a 2 gig WD green hdd-the case, mother board, 4 gigs of DDR3 ram, video card and power supply set me back less than $180 and I was able to barter an old pata dvd burner I had for 2 sata dvd ram drives of which I used one in the htpc-I'm very happy with my htpc so far-and I used a copy of XP corporate for the os.
post #15 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I built a system using an ASRock E350M1/USB3 mini-ITX motherboard, 4GB G.SKILL RAM, and an Apex MI-008 case for about $192 a few months ago. I already had a spare hard drive and an extra Win 7 license. The Apex case holds a standard optical drive so I added a DVD-R drive for about another $20. Note that some of these items were on sale from Newegg at the time so current prices may differ.

I was looking at this but someone said it does not play nice with linux which is a huge disappointment because i wanted to use openelec, maybe someone can clarify.

I should also clarify again the only hard drive i need is a boot drive, and room for plugins, i assume if im running openelec an 8gb ssd card would suffice or a simple fast usb drive?

I have a 12 tb case currently for my storage. I plan to add a larger norco unraid case later this year.

I would stick with apple tv because its cheap and simple if i could find out if streaming 720p over youtube, or hulu works, i keep hearing conflicting reports, some saying its stutters. If it does not it is perfect, if it stutters its a paper weight then.

Thanks for all the input!
post #16 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

OpenELEC has support for the AMD Zacate platform, and they are improving it with the release of XBMC 11 Eden by adding XVBA (which is the Ati API for hardware acceleration) support instead of VAAPI (which is a generic API created by Linux developers for all hardware). I have an AMD E350 and the latest OpenELEC build (1.02) worked ok for the 15 minutes i tested it.

2GB is enough for OpenELEC unless your library is 500+ Movies (but since you need it for youtube and hulu, this isn`t an issue), 8GB is plenty.

post #17 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
No idea how well XBMC works with the E-350 but I did see this in my email today for $110 w/ free shipping. You'd need memory and storage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119058

post #18 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

OpenELEC has support for the AMD Zacate platform, and they are improving it with the release of XBMC 11 Eden by adding XVBA (which is the Ati API for hardware acceleration) support instead of VAAPI (which is a generic API created by Linux developers for all hardware). I have an AMD E350 and the latest OpenELEC build (1.02) worked ok for the 15 minutes i tested it.

2GB is enough for OpenELEC unless your library is 500+ Movies (but since you need it for youtube and hulu, this isn`t an issue), 8GB is plenty.

This is the direction i will go unless i can find out if apple tv can reliably stream web content from hulu, youtube, ect... at 720p i keep hearing conflicting stories and am still not sure.
post #19 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

No idea how well XBMC works with the E-350 but I did see this in my email today for $110 w/ free shipping. You'd need memory and storage.

wow that looks good as well.
post #20 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I would go with this, 4gb of ram and XBMC Live:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16859324008

In my previous setup I had an original ION with a dual core atom (2gb ram) running mkv blu ray rips no problem.
post #21 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have seen Boxee boxes advertized for about $100 before the holidays. That will be your way of getting the hardware on the cheap.

If not, then find the original Ion board with Atom 330 on the secondary market. They were $100 when they were new. Should be $50 now. Add a cheap $30 miniITX case with PSU, and a small SSD for $50 to run OS, or just a SD or Cf card with OS loaded via card reader.

Another option is to scour slickdeals.net I just built a $100 PC from SD to replace the aging Pentium D 805 that I have been using since 2006.

$20 mobo, $20 for 8 Gb of DDR3 RAM, $50 Phenom II X4 processor, $10 for Win7 from the University computer store, re-used everything else. All parts were bought separately over time as the deals came up.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #22 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

This is the direction i will go unless i can find out if apple tv can reliably stream web content from hulu, youtube, ect... at 720p i keep hearing conflicting stories and am still not sure.

If theres an official Hulu app on the Apple TV then most good hulu+ shows arent supported on TV devices and only work in free quality.
post #23 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
My concern is that the OP listed a bunch of web streaming things, along with an etc - hardware acceleration can be iffy on web-based things, so a slow CPU like an Atom may be too slow for his desires (even aside from the fact that a HD + OS pretty much burns through his budget...)

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #24 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

My concern is that the OP listed a bunch of web streaming things, along with an etc - hardware acceleration can be iffy on web-based things, so a slow CPU like an Atom may be too slow for his desires (even aside from the fact that a HD + OS pretty much burns through his budget...)

Good point. I am not sure if this is still an issue with the E-350 but it was so some research is warranted.

post #25 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

$200?

Lolololol

Dude it's not that crazy. I just built another HTPC for around that.

I bought:
- Motherboard - ASRock H61-GE $58 from superbiiz
- CPU - Celeron 430 - $43 from superbiiz
- PSU - Corsair cx430 - $25 from newegg after rebate
- Ram - already had an extra stick but 4GB is like $20 I think
- HD - 120 GB gamestop xbox 360 drive - $29 - (took it out and reformatted it)
- OS - had that already but if you are actually buying windows 7 yeah then it's impossible
- Case - already had one but that's $175 so far so $25 for a cheap-ass case.

All those deals might not still be around now but it you don't need it immediately you can always get deals on stuff.
post #26 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

XBMC uses DXVA for any of the 2 streaming plugins the OP mentioned, both Youtube and Hulu/Hulu+ , so the E350 is fine.

post #27 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Not bad! $19 for 4GB of DDR3@1333Hz (AMD) Free Ship and you would have yourself a nice HTPC. You could even throw a couple of USB HDTV dongles on it - http://www.meritline.com/mygica-hybr...--p-35677.aspx

And get some local HD broadcast, uncompressed like with Cable/Sat. I've found a streaming plug-in for MythTV but as far as I know development has stopped - http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~moongies/streamtuned.html

Thanks Star, I sort of wanted a cheap box I can experiment with...

A. Thomas -

: djfourmoney

12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #28 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

XBMC uses DXVA for any of the 2 streaming plugins the OP mentioned, both Youtube and Hulu/Hulu+ , so the E350 is fine.

Hey do you think I could dual boot MythTV/XBMC and Puppy Arcade (Puppy Linux stripped down for emulation of consoles and DOS games)?

I have Vista 32-bit still and 4GB would be plenty for that... Hmmmm

A. Thomas -

: djfourmoney

12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #29 of 71 Old 01-24-2012, 05:41 PM

Liked: 10
i just built an htpc for around that price range. here is what i built.

cpu - intel g620 - $55
motherboard - ASUS P8H61-M - $80
case/psu: compucase htpc case w/ 300 w psu $65 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811121100
ram: kingston hyperx blu 2x2gb - $25

total : $225

i already a western digital green and OS.
post #30 of 71 Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

I agree 1080p flash will probably struggle with a weak cpu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodic View Post

i just built an htpc for around that price range. here is what i built.

cpu - intel g620 - $55
motherboard - ASUS P8H61-M - $80
case/psu: compucase htpc case w/ 300 w psu $65 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811121100
ram: kingston hyperx blu 2x2gb - $25

total : $225

i already a western digital green and OS.

Thats very nice. Much better then some lame atom or E350.

You could easily knock 30 bucks off the price with the mobo. Something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157241

You must have got the cpu on sale thats what the celeron goes for right now. Which I think is still fine.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page