HDMI audio output and separate component video output? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all. My current setup is with an HTPC output to a Yamaha VX-663 to a Toshiba RPTV. The TV only has component inputs. No HDMI or DVI. I have ripped all my bluray to MKV with either FLAC or HD audio tracks. I have set up XBMC with bitstreaming using Reclock, and everything seems to be working very well with all the codecs on the HTPC end.

I want to be able to either send the uncompressed audio to the AVR to decode it or have the HTPC do it, I don't care as long as it works. My problem is If I try to output it to the AVR by HDMI, I cannot get it to properly handshake because there is no HDMI out from the AVR to the TV. I could hook it up by S/PDIF to the AVR, but it does not allow bitstreaming if it is done that way and I only get 2 channel output with MPC-HC.

So how do I get the audio to the AVR by HDMI and output the video by component (currently passing through the AVR but I could connect it directly to the TV).

Is there a video card that could accomplish this by separating the output through HDMI and component?

I hope all that is clear, if not let me know what other info you need. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
There are several HDMI to component video converters (for example this one).

HTPC -> video/audio over HDMI -> AVR -> converter -> TV

HDFury2/HDFury3 is the most famous but has been discontinued.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

So will this allow for bitstreaming from the HTPC to the AVR for the audio output to the speakers, and passthrough of the video signal after conversion to the TV? Have you actually seen this path work???

Thanks for the link and suggestion.

(Does the fact that the AVR does not detect an HDCP compatible monitor make any difference for the transfer of the audio?)
post #4 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrenier16 View Post

So will this allow for bitstreaming from the HTPC to the AVR for the audio output to the speakers, and passthrough of the video signal after conversion to the TV? Have you actually seen this path work???

Thanks for the link and suggestion.

(Does the fact that the AVR does not detect an HDCP compatible monitor make any difference for the transfer of the audio?)

Everybody are seeing this work. The only difference is that digital video will be converted to analog after AVR, before TV in your case. As long as the converter is HDCP-compliant, there should be no problem. The converter is considered as the sink (usually a HDCP-compliant digital display is the sink).

-

-
post #5 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Great, than you so much for the info. I'll give it a try. I'm holding out to buy a projector so I didn't want to have to get a tv as well just for this. This will save me some coin.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page