Blu Ray playback in windows media player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen a few threads around here talking about using Windows Media player to play Blu Ray Discs. I am well aware of the whole "Windows doesn't support Blu Ray" thing and Cyberlink's software (the stuff that came with my Blu Ray drive) doesn't always work for me. I have trouble playing certain discs using it.

How are you guys getting Media player to play these discs? Is there a plugin I can buy somewhere?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrojan View Post

I've seen a few threads around here talking about using Windows Media player to play Blu Ray Discs. I am well aware of the whole "Windows doesn't support Blu Ray" thing and Cyberlink's software (the stuff that came with my Blu Ray drive) doesn't always work for me. I have trouble playing certain discs using it.

How are you guys getting Media player to play these discs? Is there a plugin I can buy somewhere?

Thanks!

I use Total Media Theater 5 which is fully integrated with Windows media Center. I don't think any 3rd party software will play Blu Ray through WM player..
post #3 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 206
you would need a program that breaks the copy protection on the discs. after you do that, you can navigate through the disc folder structure to the largest file on the disc. Windows should be able to play that, possibly needing codecs and/or filters.

there is no way media player or media center can navigate through bluray disc menus. the only pieces of software that could do that are purpose written bluray playback software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

you would need a program that breaks the copy protection on the discs. after you do that, you can navigate through the disc folder structure to the largest file on the disc. Windows should be able to play that, possibly needing codecs and/or filters.

Except some to a lot of Blu-rays use seamless branching and thus you can't just play the largest file because the movie is made up of may different m2ts files.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #5 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

y

there is no way media player or media center can navigate through bluray disc menus. the only pieces of software that could do that are purpose written bluray playback software.

TMT5 does this easily within media center, download the demo and see for yourself.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Playing back BD (physical disc or mounted image) with Windows Media Player is no problem. Of course you have to remove AACS protection by AnyDVD HD (in real-time or at the time of ripping), and you have to use Windows Explorer to navigate through the disc and find "index.bdmv" in BDMV folder (or use WMC+Media Browser that recognizes BD structure [read this post]).

- Install LAV Filter (precisely speaking, you need only LAV Source Splitter filter 32-bit or 64-bit depending on WMP 32-bit or 64-bit)
- Use Win7DSFilterTweaker to tweak video decoder.
- Associate .bdmv with WMP

Using MPC HomeCinema is smarter in that it recognizes BD structure and finds index.bdmv automatically ("Open DVD..."), tweaking filters is easier and you can use even madVR.

Seamless branching is no problem (with WMP, MPC HomeCinema or whatever DirectShow player that can use LAV Splitter Source). The only case that could cause a problem is that there are multiple main titles ("episodes") because the full menu is not supported yet.

-

-
post #7 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

I'm always amazed how people will waste hours and hours of their time to save a measly $100 on TMT. And PDVD11 is currently $60!!

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #8 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 View Post

hours and hours

Actually it is as easy as TMT/PDVD to set up a free media player, with proper knowledge.

-

-
post #9 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Actually it is as easy as TMT/PDVD to set up a free media player, with proper knowledge.

Somehow I feel I should be offended by that, but I'm just too tired.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #10 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 View Post

I'm always amazed how people will waste hours and hours of their time to save a measly $100 on TMT. And PDVD11 is currently $60!!

BT

TMT5 is only $100 if you do not stop in and search the TMT5 thread for coupon codes and snag the most recent dated one...or use the 404 code listed in the thread. TMT5 is always on sale for AVSForum readers.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawass View Post

TMT5 does this easily within media center, download the demo and see for yourself.

oh this is how I do it too, but it's not really media center playing it. Its TMT5 in a custom skin to look like media center. still the best way (in my opinion) to get an integrated experience with it. and they haven't taken away hd-dvd playback yet (they're only a buck or two each on amazon!).

i was under the impression op was referring to trying to play the disc without purchasing extra software.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #12 of 20 Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

oh this is how I do it too, but it's not really media center playing it. Its TMT5 in a custom skin to look like media center. still the best way (in my opinion) to get an integrated experience with it. and they haven't taken away hd-dvd playback yet (they're only a buck or two each on amazon!).

i was under the impression op was referring to trying to play the disc without purchasing extra software.

Yeah the goal was to be able to install some kind of plugin so that I could just drop a Blu Ray disc in and let it start playing, preferably in something like XMBC or BOXEE.

Does TMT5 typically work better than PDVD? I've had so much trouble getting PDVD to play my discs.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrojan View Post

Yeah the goal was to be able to install some kind of plugin so that I could just drop a Blu Ray disc in and let it start playing, preferably in something like XMBC or BOXEE.

Does TMT5 typically work better than PDVD? I've had so much trouble getting PDVD to play my discs.

Both TMT5 and PDVD have their set of problems...

You either spend time tweaking WMC + LAV or spend time on the TMT5 / PDVD forum looking for solutions... one thing or the other is always wrong...

In my case, I simply rip to MKV keeping original quality intact and playback in MPC-HC +LAV + MadVR...
That takes some time too...
post #14 of 20 Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by balky View Post

Both TMT5 and PDVD have their set of problems...

You either spend time tweaking WMC + LAV or spend time on the TMT5 / PDVD forum looking for solutions... one thing or the other is always wrong...

In my case, I simply rip to MKV keeping original quality intact and playback in MPC-HC +LAV + MadVR...
That takes some time too...

This is what i ended up doing too. Still not done converting everything (It does take a LOT of time) but 390 and counting and loving the MKV container!

post #15 of 20 Old 01-29-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

This is what i ended up doing too. Still not done converting everything (It does take a LOT of time) but 390 and counting and loving the MKV container!

With LAV Splitter with MPC-HC , you could also read the .mlps playlist and playback directly without ripping.
Problem is finding the right one

JRiver mediacenter automates this to some extent . it is a paid app and is a nice and less bloated alternative TMT/PDVD

No BD menus in either case.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-29-2012, 02:26 PM

Liked: 18
Save yourself the hassle/headache and just use a standalone blu ray player.
JustaSheep likes this.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #17 of 20 Old 01-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

Save yourself the hassle/headache and just use a standalone blu ray player.

+1

Picked up a Panny 110 for circa $100. It's wired to the house ethernet so accessable with any smart TV. I can also control it using a free app on my Itouch from any room.

I realize there are others who can get BR to play for them on their HTPC. As the HTPC is just one of the components in the entertainment center, adding this panny worked for me. Just another way to skin the cat.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-24-2013, 05:34 PM

Windows Media Player do not support to play Blu-ray disc because the protection.You need to download the Blu-ray Player or an third-Party conversion software to rip it the supported format of Windows Media Player

post #19 of 20 Old 12-24-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserke77 View Post

Windows Media Player do not support to play Blu-ray disc because the protection.You need to download the Blu-ray Player or an third-Party conversion software to rip it the supported format of Windows Media Player

Don't know if you noticed but you bumped a thread that was almost 2 years old.

post #20 of 20 Old 05-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Liked: 12
It's ok I think that they bumped an older thread as to this day , this is still a major issue - Win7 playing back pressed BD movies. May 2014 and still no free / easy solution :-)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page